Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > Media Room > Writer's Corner

Writer's Corner The pen is mightier than the sword. Post your writings or poetry. Also discuss your favorite authors or books.

Old 09-15-2006   #1
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos
The Prologue

I am going to share this prologue with you all. It originally was a short story for a creative writing class I took years ago, but I have since edited it several times.

I hope you all will take some time to read it. It is very long so you've been warned. But it works nicely for a prologue to a novel I hope to pen one day.

At any rate, your feedback is appreciated.

And remember, this is about 13 pages at 12 point font on Microsoft Word. I just want everyone to know that it is long before they get started on it.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006   #2
EmperorChaos

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos
Re: The Prologue

The Birth of Tragedy

I.

"Here I swear, and as I break my oath may eternity blast me, here I swear that never will I forgive Christianity! It is the only point on which I allow myself to encourage revenge. Oh, how I wish I were the Antichrist, that it were mine to crush the Demon; to hurl him to his native Hell never to rise again / I expect to gratify some of this insatiable feeling in Poetry."

- Percy Bysshe Shelley

The word “antichrist” invokes a sinister feeling within most people. Yet, most people do not know the true meaning behind the word. Such proverbial “beef” may be due directly to doomsday prophets, like the ones you see on television, asking you for money (Mr. Jack Van Impe, you are poisoning the minds of the weak-willed and you deserve to be shot and hanged). Despite so much of what I have to say being of utmost importance, it would be best if I refrain from digressing. Few people would know the etymology of a word like antichrist, or even what the word “etymology” means. Most people enjoy their ignorance, but I will grace you with an enlightened definition. Originating as many words in the English language do, antichrist comes from the Greek. Surprised? To be sure, “Khristos” is obviously the Greek word for Christ, the Messiah, the Savior, Our Lord (often found posing before a large T, arms outstretched like he needs a hug). All of the previous words meaning the same thing, and representative of the name Jesus, that immortalized fake. However, it is the prefix of antichrist that draws our attention to his true purpose. The Greek prefix “anti” means “opposed to” or “against.” This is common knowledge for most people. Regardless of that, there exists a second meaning that is often overlooked, perhaps even, intentionally. “Anti” also can mean “in place of.” Thus, the double meaning of the word “antichrist” is understood as “against Christ,” and now, “instead of Christ,” with the latter phrase being perhaps the more truthful one, prophetically-speaking.

So who is the Antichrist? According to the most logical source for this kind of information, he will be many things. Our reference is the Bible, and according to this ancient text, the Antichrist will be intellectual and boastful. This could mean that he is practically anyone, save the stupid people; thus, we are left to consider about 3.7% of the world with the preceding figure being an assumption on my part yet I believe it to be accurate. Moreover, it is also written that he will seize by intrigue, relying on his personal strengths to pool together the ignorant masses. He will have no desire for women, because who, among great men, would need such pleasantries when he was endowed with such great efficacy—a word one may say defines an attribute of the Antichrist, for he will be a forcefully Draconian if not mendacious leader. Leadership qualities in a man of his standing go without saying. He would also have to be a cunning military leader, as anyone who is destined to conquer the world would have to have the knowledge to do so. He will have authority; he will be shrewd, deceitful, and powerful. We have now narrowed down his candidacy to mainly politicians. George W. Bush, for example, is most likely the Son of Perdition.

But our President is not the Antichrist of whom I speak, for he is not so great a liar as the Little Horn is to be. No wait! He is the liar, but he does not fall within the 3.7% of the world that is intelligent and boastful (well, maybe boastful); ergo, we are safe for now. Hear me now and know the truth. The Antichrist comes at the end of the second millennium. The year 2000 is the last year of the second millennium. Forego thoughts that it is the first year of the third millennium, for there is no year 0. If you think that, you are fooled too easily; allow time for his reign to ensue after you have fallen victim to his lies, after you have been sucked in to his hate, after you have doomed yourself to his will!

This is the story of the Antichrist’s conception.

II.

What a pathetically wonderful month March is. Winter’s final tug on the blossoming bosom of Spring. The icy hand of delicious death routinely replaced by the green glow of growth is such a sad sight to the wicked “worse of all wightes”, as Chaucer would have you believe. Hearken the sound of chirping birds, tweeting the theme song to life reborn. And so it was to be. Contained within the bowels of this third month is the most notorious day of treachery. The Ides of March–the day that Julius Caesar was murdered by his friend, Brutus–a story that Shakespeare knows all too well, bequeathing upon the world one of his most famous quotes: “Et tu Brute?” Thus, we have March, the month of treason. How befitting is it for the Antichrist’s conception to occur in this month?

Next is the month of April, a most apropos time for the Destroyer of Nations to develop in the womb. Not only does April contain its famous “Fools’ Day,” but it is also the month in which we have the ever-dreaded tax day. This first full month of Spring foreshadows two things that the Antichrist will be; the first of which is obviously related to April Fools’ Day. The Antichrist will take in many with his deceitful ways. The second trait that comes to mind relates to the fact that taxes are due, and for some companies the month marks the beginning of its fiscal year. Being a man of power the Adversary would be, without a doubt, a man with great monetary holdings.

The third month is May. Hopefully by now, the reader has detected the pattern by which the months run chronologically as they do in real life. In the month of May, we celebrate Mother’s Day. Once a year, we venerate our mothers who brought us into this world, holding them to such high esteem, despite how we overlook all they have done for us in past years; we honor them in full on this one day. Interestingly enough, it was one day in May in the year 1265, when the great Italian poet Dante Alighieri was born. Dante is best known for his literary work entitled Divina Commedia in which he experiences an eschatological journey through Hell, Purgatory, and Heaven. In the first book The Inferno, Dante visits the home of the Father of the Antichrist, Lucifer. Father’s Day occurs in June. Oh-oh!

The final month of preparation for the Beast is June. June marks the first month of summer, the sweltering season that signifies the advent of hellish heat for those who dwell in the southern temperate and tropical regions of the Northern Hemisphere—the only half of the planet that matters. Just as May is for mothers, in June we honor our fathers for bringing us to the brink of existence (I emphasize brink because, after all, there is still time for an abortion. Ironically, the Pro-Lifers’ last line of defense lies with a vacuum vehemently vilified by the Religious Right. Moreover, if the aforementioned Bible-Thumpers have their way, then the Pro-Choicers’ chances are chained to the choice of what adjacent alley allows for the most sanitized, sterilized, and safest stabbing of a standard shiv-like coat hanger into the soft and still-beating heart of an unborn child. Ah! How wretchedly poetic and abominably alliterative of me! To my delight, the reader may very well be repulsed by such words; but would I, the Lord of the Flies, give a shit about you? My swarm is destined to engulf the Earth in darkness—to coalesce the planet and the Netherworld of Hell—until the world lies barren and baked!). I’d apologize for the long aside if I were a compassionate human being. But since I’m not, back to the subject at hand and where were we? Oh yes! Honor and Father’s Day. The summer solstice on June 21st is the longest day of the year and, astronomically speaking, the first day of summer. It is on this day that the Antichrist must leave the confines of the womb and “honor” his father, Mephistopheles, the Evil One. Through this confrontation, the Antichrist will learn of his destiny and await his birth.

III.

If God created Man in His image, then we have simply returned the compliment.

- Francois Marie Arouet Voltaire

We know what the word “human” means. Even if we cannot state its exact definition, by saying “humans are who we are” we have hit the hammer to the nail in defining the word. We are the most intelligent creatures on the planet. To the extent of our great and collective knowledge, we may be the most intelligent creatures in existence. Everywhere you look you can see traces of our civilization. We have shown ourselves to be ingenious inventors, thorough thinkers, and accomplished architects. From the vehicle you use to move about, to the paper that you now hold, to the dwelling in which you live, as human we have used every means we can to improve our lives. Developing religion is no different. For many, hard to grasp is the fact that this life may be all we have, that our existence as a species may be by pure chance; hence, a creation and afterlife system is needed. We must feel that we will move on in the next life—to something better.

It has been said that five is the number of man because he is, according to Taoism, composed of the five elements: water, fire, wood, metal, and earth. The pentacle, that is, the upright five-pointed star encircled, is representative of man. The star forms the head, arms, and legs of a man spread-eagled.

This is the account of a legend born in the form of mortal man.

Last edited by JaSunTzu; 09-15-2006 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Typesetting
Old 09-15-2006   #3
EmperorChaos

IV.

The blistering heat of July is a definitive reminder of the fact that we may be ruining our planet. It goes without saying that our population is plagued by more and more cancer, caused mostly by our own pollution; but what of the Sun’s own ultraviolet radiation? In the United States, the 4th of July is a day on which Americans love to blow shit up. No, I’m kidding. We celebrate our independence from Great Britain on this day. All men are proud of freedom; all men are proud to be independent. To be enslaved either physically or mentally is the opposite of freedom, the opposite of independence. So true would it be for a Man to be enslaved to a destiny. Despite what he may have been taught, it is not his choice what he is to be. His father, so instructive and informative in the youth of this Man, was born on the 31st of this month. Though it may seem so, he did not fail in the teaching of his son.

August is the month most of the world continues the ancient tradition and one key principle in the evolution of humanity: passing knowledge from one generation to the next. At this time many parents send their children off to school as they had done the year before, perhaps walking the same path that their parents had done in a prior generation. Coincidentally, the month is named after Augustus Caesar, the son of Julius Caesar. Augustus Caesar was the first Emperor of Rome; it is a befitting title because Rome controlled much of the known world at that period in history. This once-massive empire lasted for more than 500 years before toppling and leaving Europe struggling through dark times; yet one thing would prevail. Despite the frequent attacks by barbaric tribes from the east, the raids by the fearsome Norsemen from the north, and the horrible Crusades leading to death in the south, humanity would open its eyes with a yawn, and sigh as it stretches after a long slumber to find that it was waking up to a rebirth of the life and culture of a society that perished nearly a millennium before. The Greco-Roman Classics, once such a natural part of life, now spark the return of Western thought that was so influential in European civilization. The Man’s paternal grandmother was born on the 12th of August. She would be the mother of five children and a widow by the age of thirty-six. Despite the odds set against her by the Hand of Fate, the grandmother represents the tenacity of mankind.

Opposite of March, September marks a time when things begin to die. Even while the Man continues to grow in the womb, in the world outside the trees begin to shed their leaves as teardrops weeping for the deaths of their fellow plant life. The winds tell of the coming of a chill in the months ahead. With the four months of development for the Antichrist added to the three months of growth for the Man, you get seven months; an interesting fact, considering September’s name comes from the Latin for “seventh month,” similarly to October, November, and December. The Man’s mother, in whose womb he is currently gestating, was born on September 8th. Without her love and adoration, the Man would never be, dying instead like the rest of September.

The month of October is anything but dull. Lost is the ancient festival celebrated on the eve of Samhain—the Celtic word for winter. In their ancient culture, the night before the start of winter is a jubilee after the final day of harvesting. Representing the oral tradition prevalent in such tribal societies, the Man’s father tells the story his father’s murder, the grandfather of the Man, whose birthday fell on October 19th. As such, the importance of history is instilled within the Man. Was it not the philosopher George Santayana who said: “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it”? Try as we might George, but like art, film, and everything else, history appears to be cyclical.

Finally the month has arrived that the Man destined to be the Antichrist will be born. On the 8th day of the 11th month of the 1981st year after the birth of Christ, he is born. What are his parents to name him? They decide to be creative; his father’s first cries were heard in July, his grandmother first breathed freely in August, his mother’s smile first beamed in September, his grandfather’s birthday fell in October, and now his own birthday has arrived in November. Taking the first letters of each of those months, his parents realize it spells the clever nomenclature: J-A-S-O-N. Ironically, for someone born with such a heavy burden, his name means “the Healer” and is taken from the Greek “Iason”, or Jason, the hero who led the Argonauts in Greek myth in search of the Golden Fleece; this quest was known to have been a difficult one in which no one could succeed. Yet having the Argonauts at his side, among them the fabled Heracles, all Jason would need is the ambition to overcome all odds and accomplish his quest. Symbolically, one could guess that destiny, it seems, may yet have a role to play.

V.

Jason was born as a child on November 8th, 1981. He was not the Antichrist. He was not yet the Man. He just was. There was no better explanation for it. He didn’t know what would happen in his life. The future was not yet written for him just as it isn’t written for anyone. He would make himself what he wanted to be. You might call it Fate, but the star-signs don’t tell what a boy is to be. He must decide for him, using the stars as a guide if he wishes. You may deem it Destiny, but Chance points a finger and exclaims, “Make do with what you know! Rely on yourself to unfold your own destiny. The present is just that. Unwrap it and see what you get!” You may even preach that it is a part of a Divine Plan. You can scream it all you want but the lack of conclusive evidence and the keen intellect of a logical human mind might reason otherwise. The Man is a human, just like everyone else. He represents the everyman. It can’t get any simpler than this.

DCLXVI.

“Do you believe in God?” she asked him.

“I find it safer to reject all forms of religion, instead trusting in the eventual goodness within humanity. We continue to persist to exist in all our endeavors. We strive to advance in everything. Everyday, each one of us, works a little harder to make ourselves a little better,” he responded.

“Why do good deeds at all then? What reward did you receive today when you bought that homeless man a sub sandwich?” She was full of questions tonight and, being quite fond of answering them, he was appreciative.

He chuckled. “Well, for starters, buying him a sandwich ensured that he wouldn’t squander any cash I gave him on cheap booze or drugs… No, but seriously, the man really looked hungry. He’s human—flesh and blood like you and me—and he has feelings too. It doesn’t matter that it was the last five dollars I had. I had something to give and I found someone who was in need. Our homeless friend was fed and perhaps feels different about human compassion. He knows that people actually care for other people.”

“I’m not expressing that I am a theist. I am unsure what to believe. I am only wondering why you—a stout atheist—would give to others as the Christian tithe their churches.”

“It’s not about religion at all. The feeling I get comes not from some benevolent being that watches us from the sky, but from right here in my chest, in my heart. Mammals show compassion, and humans are mammals. One needs not a god. We speak of a non-existent being.” Explaining this was quite easy as he had been persecuted in high school for being an atheist. He had mulled the concept over and over again in his mind. He truly trusted in Man, in Nature, and in the Cosmos. He defends his lack of a belief as fervently as a religious zealot would argue for his own faith

He kissed her. She looked into his deep blue eyes and smiled. She seemed to get lost within them for some time, until again she spoke, “It is nice to know that even in the year 2005 there are people as kind as you left in the world. Wait though…wait... in the—I’ll appease your ego here—small chance that you’re wrong, aren’t you worried about being sent to Hell?”

“Oh my love! Don’t think I am upset with you, I really appreciate your questions; but you are beginning to sound like most theists I know, Hell-bent on converting another sheep to the flock, so to speak. No I am not worried,” he answered. “Though I disbelieve that there is a Hell, I find it hard to believe that a god would send me there for not worshipping him. If I live my life to the moral fullest, if I commit no wrongs against my fellow man, if I pursue the goals of humanity as a whole… I don’t think anything bad can happen. I don’t think anything will happen. I think logic dictates that we are here after millions of years of evolution, and that we needed religion to get us started in science. Any god who is just would understand that.”

“What about all the established customs affiliated with religion? Why are they in place?”

“Most so-called Christian holidays have their roots in pagan tradition. Traditions, as everyone knows, are very hard to break. So it is logical that the Catholic Church would incorporate the rooted traditions into their belief structure; and over the years of Church rule, the original meaning of the holiday traditions became replaced by the religious meaning. Easter occurs in Spring, but April marked the beginning of the year for many ancient cultures because everywhere life was returning, being reborn if you will. There is your symbol for the Resurrection. Then there is the Celtic holiday Samhain, which, even though it occurs on our Halloween, reflects the concept of gift-giving in that particular type of year. Farmers would give a portion of their harvest yield to the community for all to share. Doesn’t that sound a lot like Christmas? I could go on and on....”

Lying on the grass, they both looked up at the night sky pointing and laughing. He spent some time telling her about the constellations and their origins. Then he told her how the universe works, at least as much as he’d learned from Astronomy class and Stephen Hawking’s books. Still lying on the ground amidst the glory of nature, the two looked skywards in silence. After some time, she broke the silence.

“Jason… what do you suppose happens when you die?” She asked this question with a very inquisitive tone in her voice.

He wrinkled his nose. A grin slowly crept across his face. “Honey… I love you.”

“I love you too,” she whispered.

The grin converted into a countenance of satisfaction, “I think that we should make the most out of the life we’re given. I believe that when we die, all that remains is darkness. Therefore it is important that you make every day count. Think of the Braid song “Divers” that ends:

‘Summer was over when you close your eyes

Story was over when you closed your eyes

Song was over when you closed your eyes

Everything’s over when you close your eyes!’

Which reminds me…when you close your eyes, nestled snugly in bed, on the verge of sleep, have you ever been positive that you fell asleep but only for a few seconds?”

Her eyes shifted to the upper right corner of their sockets. She was thinking. “No. I don’t know…maybe….why?”

Looking directly at her, he said “I once had a dream in those few seconds. A dream that spanned a lifetime and I remember it all quite well. Would you like to hear it?”

“Sure, I’d love a good story!” Her beautiful smile beamed with excitement. She was in one of his favorite moods; that is, ready to listen to his rambling and at least somewhat intrigued by it.

“Very well then. Lie back my sweet… this story is quite long.”
She closed her eyes. He pursed his lips, and then grinned again. He began.

Last edited by JaSunTzu; 09-15-2006 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Typesetting
Old 09-18-2006   #4
EmperorChaos

Nothing? No one? Not even a little bit?

I understand the length is daunting. Print it out if you need to and read it at your leisure. Write some comments on your printout and respond here with the critique if you like.

The discourse has a lot of meaning to it. It can be interpreted many ways, but I also have my own explanation of it. I mean, yeah, I wrote it.

A lot of what is mentioned in the first five sections comes back into place in the sixth. Even the fact that there are five sections (1,2,3,4,5) and then a sixth (with a peculiar Roman numeral) is important.

I was reluctant to post this at first. However it is here now. Leave any comments as you see fit and PM me if you have any questions or whatever. The prologue itself is dry like a lecture but the story is much better (at least what I have written so far).
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
Old 09-18-2006   #5
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

*Inhales deeply*

I copied 'n' pasted your writing into a word document so I could read it--Methinks I shall give it a full read when I finds the time (and time, I shall need to tackle this beastly long writing ).

I read the first point of the prologue, however, and I'm going to give you my honest initial reaction; I don't like it.

I really, really tried to be open-minded about it, keeping in mind that everyone has his own unique style--some are more concrete than others, some are sarcastic, et cetera. Frankly, it seemed pretentious, without justification; being cynical or sarcastic (even condescending) toward a topic is just peachy, but at least--at the very least--be accurate and avoid internal contradictions.

The first paragraph in "I" of this prologue contained both contradictions and inaccuracies, from what I could tell.

Two examples:

"(often found posing before a large T, arms outstretched like he needs a hug)."

This is mildly upsetting. The cross on which Jesus was crucified would've been a small "t." Jesus was crucified in the manner that notorious criminals were; the large T would've allowed for Him to at least push up on top of the cross using the back of His head in order to breathe, but no; He used the nails through his hands and feet to push up on when breathing. Is this just arguing semantics? Well, it's important to get such seemingly small details correct for the sake of credibility (especially when aiming to write a book of sorts).

"Few people would know the etymology of a word like antichrist, or even what the word “etymology” means. Most people enjoy their ignorance, but I will grace you with an enlightened definition."

"The Greek prefix “anti” means “opposed to” or “against.” This is common knowledge for most people."

These two statements seem like they contradict, unless I'm mistaken. People don't know what "etymology" means, and yet they know what Greek terms mean? What? *Shrugs*

And besides all that, I didn't really connect with the writing style...at all.

*Sigh* Sorry if that was harsh and blunt. As I said, I'll probably re-read the whole thing still to get a better grasp of what you've written, and mayhaps I'll post a comment.

(Whew! My comment is verbose! )

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006   #6
EmperorChaos

If you have only read the first part so far then everything has worked out exactly as it was supposed to. (Or at least I hope it has. I just re-read it again myself and I think this may be a version that I went back and edited but whether or not I have this further revised edition is unknown. I've revised this thing an awful lot. And unfortunately it might not make sense or seem boring, pretentious, et cetera. But the relevance in it pertains to the story that is meant to follow. That is neither here nor there so I digress...)

Well, with the exception of the prefix "anti"; it's not meant to be a contradiction. I meant that most people know that "anti" means "against" though they might not know the prefix to be Greek in origin.

And about the "large T". Well, in a way it is arguing semantics but you do make a good point. Now that I think on it, I realize that some people might mistake that sentence for being a non-traditional cross of some kind. Whether or not I'll change it is, as of yet, unknown for reasons that I will have to explain later (or via PM/IM after you've read the whole prologue.)

I don't want to say anything here about the symbolism within the prologue in case some people haven't read it yet, but are reading these shorter posts. This way, everyone who reads it will be able to make their own interpretation of it.

And please Rachael, do not worry about sounding harsh or blunt and be as verbose as you want. I appreciate the criticism; I welcome all comments.
-=-=-=-
Old 09-19-2006   #7
cstoll
?!

cstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond repute

I've skimmed it once and read it twice, and here are some general impressions. Keep in mind that I'm glacially slow when it comes to looking carefully at writing.

There are some lovely passages here:

Quote:
Originally Said by narrator
--his father’s first cries were heard in July, his grandmother first breathed freely in August, his mother’s smile first beamed in September--

--What a pathetically wonderful month March is. Winter’s final tug on the blossoming bosom of Spring. The icy hand of delicious death routinely replaced by the green glow of growth is such a sad sight....Thus, we have March, the month of treason. How befitting is it for the Antichrist’s conception to occur in this month?
That phrase "pathetically wonderful" is an interesting juxtaposition. And the bit about March sets up a nice tension. You have a knack for putting words together well (although the prose does risk getting purple at times).

Narrator:

Much like the Wise Zanahoria, I found the early sections to be uninvolving. Also, I can't figure out if the narrator in section I is the same narrator throughout. At times (in Section I and II), he is playful, arrogant, and intelligent. In Section 3, the playful, arrogant tone is gone, but then returns in 4.

Section II reveals that the narrator of at least that section is Satan. But this can't be the narrator of Section I -- why would he rail against Jack Van Impe? If Beelzebubby turns out to be the narrator throughout, then it seems to me that Satan shouldn't declare himself or make his presence obvious.

I think he'd be more devious than this:

Quote:
Originally Said by Ol' Scratch
I’d apologize for the long aside if I were a compassionate human being. But since I’m not, back to the subject at hand and where were we? Oh yes! Honor and Father’s Day.
Nope, methinks he would be an untrustworthy narrator, which is always an interesting thing (Unusual Suspects, anyone? Great Gatsby, anyone? Childe Roland, anyone? Bueller? Bueller?).

And then we seem to get a human narrator in Sections 3 and 4. So, the shifting narrator confuses me. They're just different enough for the shifts to be confusing. But the narrators are also too much alike in their omnipotence to really seem *that* different.

Characters:

Ah, then we have some characters! Hurrah and huzzah. I like character-driven fiction, and I like plot and character action to move things along, not a lot of narration. (Those are just some of my reading preferences--I'm not saying other ways are wrong. I'm just letting you know where I'm coming from).

And I think the conversation is fine, but to have it come in a lecture-style about subjects that we've just read about is a bit much. It's a bit all-religion, all-the-time. (Yes: this coming from a guy who posted a three-page poem about prayer). I think it's best if we don't immediately think of these characters as *representations of a theme,* but as people with lives and quirks and concerns that do not immediately involve the plot.

You have a wide-ranging knowledge and a cleverness, so putting them in a different situation shouldn't be tough for you. And I'm sure you do get around to giving us more angles on these characters later. But sooner would be nicer, methinks.

Could we open on another scene with them, that establishes them as characters in a different way (before getting to this existential conversation)? And I think it'd be rather awesome to give the girl in the scene a bit more verve, a bit more panache, a bit more...*abandons thesaurus*

What if she challenged some of his statements? What if she didn't just prompt him with questions?

I'm interested in this so far. I'm not thrilled with the slippery narrator(s), and I wish the characters could be introduced in a setting that gives us a sense of their lives (apart from the long-term concerns of the plot). Again, you have a knack with words, an impressive knowledge of history, and an interesting concept. So, write on and such.

"I have a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel."
--Blackadder
cstoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006   #8
DreamsL0ST
Blessed or Cursed?

DreamsL0ST has a reputation beyond reputeDreamsL0ST has a reputation beyond reputeDreamsL0ST has a reputation beyond reputeDreamsL0ST has a reputation beyond reputeDreamsL0ST has a reputation beyond reputeDreamsL0ST has a reputation beyond reputeDreamsL0ST has a reputation beyond reputeDreamsL0ST has a reputation beyond reputeDreamsL0ST has a reputation beyond reputeDreamsL0ST has a reputation beyond reputeDreamsL0ST has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DreamsL0ST Send a message via Yahoo to DreamsL0ST

I find this thing you threw together to be rather droll and boring like most of the stuff you've made me read over the years since I've known you. Some of your stuff is really good though. It seems you just make things long so people will never actually finish reading it so that they will never be able to say it good or bad. It's so tedious and drawn out and pointless. It's a proglogue to what? A story that will never be written?
DreamsL0ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006   #9
EmperorChaos

Yes.

Life is a prologue to a story that will never be written.
-=-=-=-
Old 10-15-2006   #10
DreamsL0ST
Blessed or Cursed?

DreamsL0ST has a reputation beyond reputeDreamsL0ST has a reputation beyond reputeDreamsL0ST has a reputation beyond reputeDreamsL0ST has a reputation beyond reputeDreamsL0ST has a reputation beyond reputeDreamsL0ST has a reputation beyond reputeDreamsL0ST has a reputation beyond reputeDreamsL0ST has a reputation beyond reputeDreamsL0ST has a reputation beyond reputeDreamsL0ST has a reputation beyond reputeDreamsL0ST has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DreamsL0ST Send a message via Yahoo to DreamsL0ST

Quote:
Originally Said by EmperorChaos View Post
Yes.

Life is a prologue to a story that will never be written.
See, now that's good writing.
DreamsL0ST is offline   Reply With Quote