Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > AlmostSmartism > Front Page > Back Page News

Back Page News Not quite front page material.

Old 06-07-2009   #1
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian
Denver Tornado Warnings

Hamana, my sister, just called my parents who called me at the same time that they got a tornado warning in Denver. Hail shall fall from sky with the size of golf balls.

..And thats just less then one week before we are coming to Denver..

Quote:
TORNADO WARNING DENVER CO - KBOU 224 PM MDT SUN JUN 7 2009
SVR T-STORM WARNING DENVER CO - KBOU 212 PM MDT SUN JUN 7 2009
TORNADO WARNING DENVER CO - KBOU 153 PM MDT SUN JUN 7 2009
TORNADO WARNING DENVER CO - KBOU 140 PM MDT SUN JUN 7 2009
SVR T-STORM WARNING DENVER CO - KBOU 128 PM MDT SUN JUN 7 2009
TORNADO WARNING DENVER CO - KBOU 116 PM MDT SUN JUN 7 2009
SVR T-STORM WARNING DENVER CO - KBOU 1201 PM MDT SUN JUN 7 2009

link
Quote:
Funnel clouds, tornado warnings for metro Denver

This tornado was spotted over southeast Aurora. (Steve Nehf | Denver Post)
A tornado warning is in effect for south central Denver, northeast Centennial, northwest Aurora and adjacent area this afternoon, with reports of severe weather at Chambers Road and East Hampden Avenue and East Quincy Avenue and South Buckley Road at about 1:45 p.m. Tornado sirens were heard in Aurora, and a funnel cloud was reported.

At 1:12 p.m. National Weather Service radar located a tornado over southwestern Banner County in western Nebraska, 23 miles northwest of Kimball, moving east at 15 mph.

Just after 1 p.m. a funnel cloud was spotted over Lafayette, although the Weather Service hasn't confirmed a touch down. A similar event occurred over Thornton about 1:20 p.m.

Downtown Denver experienced marble-size hail just after

1 pm. for a short time. Hail the size of golf balls was reported near Quebec and Iliff on the Denver-Aurora border.

At 1:53 p.m. a funnel cloud was spotted 3 miles east of Arapahoe Park, as the tornado warning spread to eastern Centennial, south-central Aurora, north-western Elbert County and northeast Douglas County until 2:30 p.m.

A severe thunderstorm watch is in effect until 5 p.m. for 11 Colorado counties, including Denver, Arapahoe, Adams, Douglas, Broomfield, Elbert, Weld, Morgan, Washington and Lincoln.

Hail up to 2-1/2 inches and lightning are possible, the Weather Service said.
Tornado warnings remain in effect until 3:15 p.m. central Arapahoe and northwest Elbert counties.

At 2:30 p.m. a tornado was spotted 10 miles north of Elizabeth, according to the National Weather Service.

A severe thunderstorm watch remains in effect until 5 p.m. for Larimer, Boulder and Jefferson counties.

A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms in the metro region is expected until midnight.

Monday is expected to have a slight chance of showers in the morning and a 30 percent chance of afternoon showers or thunderstorms, until midnight.

There's a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms Tuesday afternoon, with mostly cloudy skies and a high near 73. 20%.

Denver Post
So, how is it going? What happened? Hamana, Weasel, Madre, Punktinkerbell Foxy and or Hockeymom? Everything fine? (Asked Hamana to take photos but I doubt she will do)

Side note: as we left Denver last year they got a few tornado's near DIA only one week later..

(No idea if its worth a back page news, but I'm pretty excited)
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009   #2
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Denver Tornado Warnings

There was marble-sized hail hitting my house, yard, and Dad's car for about an hour...
The warning was in my county, too, but we didn't see the funnel clouds. Furby insisted on going to the bank precisely then as a sort of chase, but we still saw nothing besides the rain and hail.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009   #3
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

Madre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond repute

Hamana called me a couple times freaking out. Apparently she was standing in a door frame wondering if she should turn off the gas. I told her I was sitting at my computer waiting to be zapped.
III.IIVIVIXIIVIVIIIVVIIIIXVIIIXIIIIIIIIVIIIIVVIIIV IIVIIIIIIVIII - Solomon (I Kings 7:23)
Madre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009   #4
foxyphoenix

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Madre View Post
Hamana called me a couple times freaking out. Apparently she was standing in a door frame wondering if she should turn off the gas. I told her I was sitting at my computer waiting to be zapped.

Hahah, and I was driving around.
I don't even think about safety until there's a funnel cloud touchdown; then we turn stuff off and move the critters to the basement.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Old 06-07-2009   #5
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Hehe, We, my parents, told her what she shall do too. Well, you guys are all 'used' to it I guess ^_^

edit:
Hehe, and there we have the first YouTube video, only 30 minutes later.

and a few more here ^^

Last edited by Christian; 06-07-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-07-2009   #6
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

Madre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-268143

Here is a link to some photos!
III.IIVIVIXIIVIVIIIVVIIIIXVIIIXIIIIIIIIVIIIIVVIIIV IIVIIIIIIVIII - Solomon (I Kings 7:23)
Old 06-07-2009   #7
foxyphoenix

Apparently the Southlands mall is being evacuated due to a gas line break... Gun Club Road is closed due to downed powerlines, an apartment complex under construction has collapsed, some garage doors are missing, and several homes lost roofs.

They've set up a command post at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

-
Carl Sagan

-
Charles Darwin

-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Old 06-07-2009   #8
Christian
Super Moderator

Oha.. I think I know where southlands mall was.. but gun club road?

Offtopic:
It's nice how fast informations can go around nowadays..
Old 06-07-2009   #9
Hamana
jaaa, klar.

Hamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Hamana Send a message via Yahoo to Hamana

I took a video of the hail. :-S I live right next to the Southlands mall btw. I was so afraid that the fish outside in the pond were going to be hit by the hail. They were swimming the whole time right at the surface.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericwit...7619317327007/

Hamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009   #10
foxyphoenix

Gun Club is the road right before Southlands from my house.

Apparently there was touch down at Southlands; they're calling it an F1 based on damage.
The mall is TRASHED.

-
Carl Sagan

-
Charles Darwin

-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Old 06-07-2009   #11
Christian
Super Moderator

The mall is trashed? Mh.. not good, my and Hamanas mom wanted to shop there in a week.
Old 06-07-2009   #12
Hamana
jaaa, klar.

Hamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Hamana Send a message via Yahoo to Hamana

I just found this photo on the internets:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg genthumb.ashx.jpeg (17.5 KB, 11 views)

Hamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009   #13
Christian
Super Moderator

Who is telling mom the bad news? You or me? ^^
Old 06-07-2009   #14
foxyphoenix

5 confirmed tornadoes now.

Damn.

-
Carl Sagan

-
Charles Darwin

-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Old 06-07-2009   #15
Christian
Super Moderator

And where around? Am only able to get an idea about it using that page where tornado warnings keep to show up for Denver.

Mh.. a week after we left Denver you got a few tornado's, and now a week before we show up.. omen?
Old 06-07-2009   #16
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

Quote:
Originally Said by Hamana View Post
I just found this photo on the internets:
omg, is that Southlands?
Old 06-07-2009   #17
Bamcubz
WIFE - MOM - ME

Bamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond repute

Tornado season in full swing for you guys now. That's some pretty scary stuff. We began Hurricane season on June first and it last until Nov. 31st and depending where and what side of the hurricane we are on, can get tornadoes too. We still need to get supplies, usually by now we have everything but with my son's graduation we ended up side tracked. Will have to make a point to stock up on supplies this coming up weekend. I hope you guys have told Hamana what to do when these things close to her, you know she's going to have a panic attack. If I had seen what Ivan was doing, (it hit at 3am) I know I would have packed up left Florida that minute. When we lived up in Fort Collins we only had one touch down north of town, but I have plenty of family all over Colorado, including Denver. Hope everyone is okay - including you guys.

At the beach, life passes differently. Time does not pass by the hours but by the moments and moods.
Bamcubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009   #18
cstoll
?!

cstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. Looks awful.

I was just in Denver last weekend, visiting friends (and having some really good food. Nom nom nom: Snooze and Carmine's....).

Thankfully, they're okay. Hope all of you Denver-centric people are as well.

"I have a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel."
--Blackadder
cstoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009   #19
Weasel
Ich lasse deine Nächte zum Tag werden!

Weasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Weasel Send a message via MSN to Weasel Send a message via Yahoo to Weasel

Here is more pictures from today:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ericwit...7619317327007/

Almost Smart Admin
Email Me or PM Me

Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009   #20
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

At least the stuffed animals were protected standing in the door frames! That's important!