Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > AlmostSmartism > Front Page

Front Page The threads which appears on the front page. Add your comments or create your own front page threads.

Old 12-09-2008   #1
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

Madre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond repute
Illinois Governor Arrested On Corruption Charges

Hey, I want to be a senator, too!

Illinois governor in federal custody on corruption charges

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/12/...nor/index.html

Rod Blagojevich is currently serving his second term as governor of Illinois.

(CNN) -- Hours after federal investigators announced they had arrested Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich and his chief of staff on corruption charges, U.S. attorney Patrick Fitzgerald declared Tuesday a "sad day for government."

"Gov. Blagojevich has taken us to a new low," he said. "This conduct would make [Abraham] Lincoln roll over in his grave."

Fitzgerald said the government had bugged the governor's campaign office and placed a tap on his home phone.

FBI agents arrested Blagojevich on Tuesday on federal charges in part related to the selection of President-elect Barack Obama's successor, the U.S. attorney's office said.

Federal officers took Blagojevich and his chief of staff, John Harris -- also arrested on corruption charges -- into custody at around 6:30 a.m. (7:30 a.m. ET) without incident, FBI spokesman Ross Rice told CNN.

Each was charged with a count of conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud and a count of solicitation of bribery, authorities said.

The government says the two were "conspiring to obtain personal financial benefits" for the Illinois governor by leveraging his sole authority to appoint a U.S. senator to replace Obama.

The Obama transition team is aware that Blagojevich is in federal custody, but has no comment, according to a senior Democratic source.
III.IIVIVIXIIVIVIIIVVIIIIXVIIIXIIIIIIIIVIIIIVVIIIV IIVIIIIIIVIII - Solomon (I Kings 7:23)
Madre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #2
Weasel
Ich lasse deine Nächte zum Tag werden!

Weasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Weasel Send a message via MSN to Weasel Send a message via Yahoo to Weasel
Re: Illinois Governor Arrested On Corruption Charges

lmao @ all these anonymous people. I don't think I would want to be a number of a letter named in this affidavit:

Quote:
Blagojevich told Fundraiser A to reach out to an intermediary (Individual D), from whom Blagojevich is attempting to obtain campaign contributions and who Blagojevich believes is close to Senate Candidate 5. Blagojevich told Fundraiser A to tell Individual D that Senate Candidate 5 was a very realistic candidate but Blagojevich was getting a lot of pressure not to appoint Senate Candidate 5, according to the affidavit.

Blagojevich allegedly told Fundraiser A to tell Individual D that if Senate Candidate 5 is going to be chosen, "some of this stuff's gotta start happening now . . .

Almost Smart Admin
Email Me or PM Me

Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #3
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute

The kicker is Patrick Fitzgerald going on about this when just a couple of years ago he had records sealed for 50 years before becoming U.S. Attorney. Supposedly related to the Plame/Wilson investigations. No funny business there, right?

And the suggestion to step down at least for the moment with the possibility of being returned to the position of Governor piques some interest.

Chicago... vote often and early, remember to turn a blind eye and recede quietly to the shadows on call

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." ~~ Cicero

"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food." ~~ Hippocrates

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.
my.dragons.lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008   #4
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute

News reporting here is really cleaning his pipes. And tomorrow is Blagojevich's birthday. Where they carefully tippy toed around Ryan and nearly always with the mayor, Blagojevich is clearly being made an example of. Not that I have a problem with that. Just wish it was like that often enough to get somewhere.

Durbin is being unusually visible, along with other officials we seldom hear a peep from.

Emil Jones is retiring. There's a huge shift occurring here.

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.
Old 12-10-2008   #5
Yugoloth
-----

Yugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Yugoloth

he should be strung up. trying to sell a senate seat? high fucking treason.
Yugoloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008   #6
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

On it goes.

Jackson Jr. denies wrongdoing in Ill. gov scandal

Quote:
By CHARLES BABINGTON

December 10, 2008

WASHINGTON (AP) — Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. said Wednesday he openly sought appointment to Barack Obama's Senate seat but denied offering favors in return to Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich and said he was not involved "whatsoever in any wrongdoing."

A lawyer for Jackson acknowledged that the Illinois Democrat is "Senate Candidate 5" in the 76-page federal complaint filed against Blagojevich, who was arrested Tuesday. Wiretapped conversations suggest Blagojevich felt the candidate would raise campaign money for him in exchange for being appointed to the Senate seat vacated by the president-elect.

Jackson, a seven-term House member and son of civil rights activist Jesse Jackson, told reporters in Washington that he spoke with the U.S. attorney's office Tuesday.

"They shared with me that I am not a target of the investigation and that I am not accused of any misconduct," said Jackson, who left the crowded session without taking questions.

U.S. attorney's spokesman Randall Samborn would not confirm or deny Jackson's assertions.

Blagojevich, a second-term Democrat, is accused of scheming to enrich himself by selling Obama's open seat for cash or a lucrative job for himself or his wife. The federal complaint says that in a wiretapped conversation on Oct. 31, Blagojevich described an approach "by an associate of Senate Candidate 5."

The governor was quoted as saying the person made a "pay to play" proposal, a term for a payment in exchange for a political favor. "That, you know, he'd raise me 500 grand" for future political campaigns, the governor said in the wiretapped conversation.

Blagojevich went on to say, "An emissary came. Then the other guy would raise a million, if I made" Jackson a senator. The complaint did not specify whether the $500,000 and $1 million would have been raised by the same person.

Jackson said Wednesday: "I did not initiate nor authorize anyone, at any time, to promise anything to Gov. Blagojevich on my behalf. I never sent a message or an emissary to the governor to make an offer or to propose a deal about the U.S. Senate seat."

He said he would fully cooperate with the investigation.

Jackson's Chicago-based lawyer, James D. Montgomery Sr., said, "Politicians and fundraisers do some very strange things from time to time. I wouldn't put it past someone to be purporting to represent Jesse without authority."

Jackson said he met with Blagojevich on Monday in Chicago for 90 minutes to discuss the Senate vacancy. It was their first meeting in about four years, he said.

"I presented my record, my qualifications and my vision," Jackson said. "Despite what he may have been looking for, that's all I had to offer."

The federal complaint cites an intercepted Blagojevich conversation on Dec. 4. In it, the complaint alleges, the governor told an unidentified adviser "that he was giving Senate Candidate 5 greater consideration for the Senate seat because, among other reasons, if Rod Blagojevich ran for re-election, Senate Candidate 5 would 'raise money' for him."

It alleges that Blagojevich said he might get some money "up front, maybe" from the Senate hopeful "to insure Senate Candidate 5 kept his promise about raising money" for the governor.

On Wednesday, Jackson called on Blagojevich to resign and said he was appalled "by the pay-to-play schemes hatched at the highest levels of Illinois state government."

___

Associated Press writer Adam Goldman in Chicago contributed to this report.

Old 12-11-2008   #7
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

Yesterday's news: A Blagojevich deputy resigns

Quote:
December 10, 2008 at 1:57 PM

One of Gov. Rod Blagojevich's deputy governors resigned today in the wake of federal corruption charges against Blagojevich and his chief of staff. Deputy Gov. Bob Greenlee resigned, a spokeswoman for the governor said. No reason was disclosed.

Blagojevich spokesman Lucio Guerrero said that Greenlee is the only top aide who left the administration today.

Guerrero said Blagojevich is back at work in the James R. Thompson Center and has met with staff to discuss the state budget and short term loans to help alleviate some of the state's money pressures.

Guerrero said Blagojevich is working on "lots of little things, I'm sure he's got a lot on his mind right now."

-- Monique Garcia
Then associated comments, very common for Chicago and surrounding townships. So the absence of commentary is not apathy as much as resignation.

Quote:
Peter on December 10, 2008 2:25 PM
Too bad the FBI and U.S. Atty Fitzgerald couldn't hold Rod Blagojevich in jail without bond as an immense threat to society which he is. Mayor Daley is just as corrupt or more so than Blagojevich and Harris and should be taken down by the FBI and the U.S. Attorney.

annette on December 10, 2008 2:45 PM
I'm happy to see the the Feds are investigating corrupt Chicago politicians finally. Now all they have to do is hit the suburbs, particularly Country Club Hills.

Mike on December 10, 2008 3:34 PM
What in the heck is a Deputy Governor? We already have a Lt Governor, so what do these people do other than hand Blago pieces of paper (Dear Gov, Remember that you are being recorded...), and how much are they costing us as tax payers?

Cityboy on December 10, 2008 3:55 PM
If I were the Big B's staff, I would run for the exits as fast as possible. They should let the captain go down with the ship. Usually the rats leave the ship as it is going down and in the case the rat should stay onboard and slowly drown in his own sea of arrogance. Another thought just entered my mind and the scene from Evita. "Don't Cry for Me Argentina". Maybe it should be "Don't Cry for me as I'm Mr. B"

Sharpshooter78 on December 10, 2008 8:11 PM
This is not a surprise. It appears that Greenlee was the "Senate Candidate #4" mentioned in the Blago indictment. It references a person (male) whom Blago trusted implicitly who would be willing to fill the Senate seat but also resign and let Blago take the Senate seat should he have been indicted. His other two deputy governors are a female and someone he hired 2 weeks ago.

Liz on December 10, 2008 11:00 PM
I agree with Peter. Daley should be investigated as well. It's time out for all these corrupt politicians. Treat them as they deserve to be treated. As common criminals. No leniency for being greedy. That goes for Ryan as well. Leave him be where he is until he has served his time. Blago's arrogance got the best of him.

Old 12-12-2008   #8
HockeyMom
Trainee Member

HockeyMom is doing greatHockeyMom is doing great

I cannot believe that Blagojevich thinks that he has done nothing wrong. When someone continually operates in a corrupt system, that becomes the norm, and Blagojevich doesn't understand how the rest of us perceive his actions.
HockeyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008   #9
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

^ Yup.

Honestly, except for the obvious probability of corrupt voting here, I don't know how Blagojevich was elected. Chatter in voting lines has not been in his favor because he tends to be a wishy washy wannabe democrat turned republican to many locals.

Of all things, now attention is being drawn to Blagojevich's former affiliations with Rahm Emanuel and company, and the fact that Blagojevich is Serbian.

One big soap.

Old 12-13-2008   #10
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

^ That said, this guy makes a valid observation as well.

Quote:
jon on December 12, 2008 1:51 PM

Wow. This really seems like a stretch to me. Blagojevich hasn't even been convicted of anything yet. The judicial standard in this country is that one is innocent until proven guilty. So, I can't understand on what basis she thinks he should be removed -- the fact that he's been only charged with a crime? Aren't there already procedures under the law for removing a governor from office? Please don't whine about how long it would take -- that's the price of doing it right.

This would amount to nothing more than a subversion of the will of the people of Illinois who elected him to office. Don't get me wrong -- I'll be as happy as the next guy when Blagojevich is booted, but what a frightening precedent this would set. What's going to happen in the future when a Democratic AG wants to remove a Republican governor for no better reason than because she just doesn't like him?

This is either an enormous abuse of power or a huge display of political grandstanding. Neither is acceptable.

Old 12-13-2008   #11
SketchImpressions
AlmostSmart Goddess

Location: In a house, in the forest, in a strange land where people wear flannel.
SketchImpressions has a reputation beyond reputeSketchImpressions has a reputation beyond reputeSketchImpressions has a reputation beyond reputeSketchImpressions has a reputation beyond reputeSketchImpressions has a reputation beyond reputeSketchImpressions has a reputation beyond reputeSketchImpressions has a reputation beyond reputeSketchImpressions has a reputation beyond reputeSketchImpressions has a reputation beyond reputeSketchImpressions has a reputation beyond reputeSketchImpressions has a reputation beyond repute

so. some personal insight on this matter.

one of my absolute best buds works in the governs office as his lawer's assistant. he saw this coming, he didnt know what was actually going down but after watching the governer drive home drunk, and spout out some rediculous shit about his seat of power, my buddy deciede he didnt like how they do politics. he put in his 2 weeks notice the day before the governor was arested. amazing timing. i belive him when he says he didnt know for sure what was going down. any way he says the office has been hellish now. feds came in and questioned everyone the morning they went to the governer house. they also took file cabnets from the office and computers. I really hope this dosnt fuck up my friends political carereer. he plans to run for congress back here in oregon and hes a great guy who would never associate with this kind of twisted politics.

"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells."
— Dr. Seuss

What we have is socialism for the rich and trickle down economics for the rest of us. I am part of the 99% of Americans left outside of Economic Elite circles...
SketchImpressions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008   #12
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

He'll probably be ok since he had the foresight and courage to jump ship immediately. Good for him.