Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > General

General If it doesn't belong anywhere else it goes here.

Old 08-26-2008   #1
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

ablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to ablethevoice Send a message via Yahoo to ablethevoice
So now it's Gustav.

That's a mean-sounding name for a hurricane. And it is a hurricane now. Barely 24 hours ago it hadn't even been named yet but overnight, BOOM! it's gone from an "invest" to a cat 1 hurricane with computer models showing it to be a cat 3 (110+MPH) in 3 days. Most computer tracking/forecast models are showing a generally westward track over the far southern Gulf of Mexico which will keep the storm a good distance away from us but I'll not really stop watching Gustav until it makes landfall in northern Mexico. The second image is of the computer models but I don't worry too much about the far ends of those forecast tracks right now because that's many days off and the further the models go, the less accurate they tend to be.

Fay's rainbands and overall influence are finally gone. I've seen the unsullied sun for the first time in about 10 days and although the humidity is way up there, the breeze (about 10-15 mph) is making being outside tolerable - and will help to dry up all the sodden grass and puddles all over.

I found this little top ten list and I thought it was kinda funny. If you've not been in a hurricane you probably won't really appreciate it, but I certainly do:

Quote:
Top Ten Reasons Hurricane Season is Like Christmas

10. Decorating the house (boarding up windows).
9. Dragging out boxes that haven't been used since last season (camping gear, flashlights).
8. Last minute shopping in crowded stores.
7. Regular TV shows pre-empted for "specials".
6. Family coming to stay with you.
5. Family and friends from out-of-state calling.
4. Buying food you don't normally buy ... and in large quantities.
3. Days off from work.
2. Candles.

And the number one reason Hurricane Season is like Christmas

1. At some point you know you're going to have a tree in your house!

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." —Albert Einstein

“It's fortunate for governments that people don't think." - Adolph Hitler

Sturkis akidit ("shit happens") - Latin

Bent Ears Audio Laboratories - Better Music Through Chemistry

MUSIC IS LIKE CANDY. IT'S ONLY GOOD WHEN YOU GET RID OF ALL THE RAPPERS.
))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
ablethevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #2
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos
Re: So now it's Gustav.

We've been getting really lucky... the whole east coast has. It's been years since we've had a direct hurricane hit in SC. And it's really even been years since we were even threatened by one.

I do find your top ten list funny... but it's been years since I've had to do any of that stuff.

I did help board up the front door of Circuit City when Tropical Storm Eduardo was off the coast, but that ended up going more north and hitting the outer banks of North Carolina anyway.

I WANT ANOTHER HURRICANE!!
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #3
GoddessDivine
I move the stars for no one.

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine

great now we are cursed... short story: once we were trying to get food at taco bell and jason was like they are out of beef and when we ordered...they were out of beef O_o

so great we will probably have a hurricane now thanks to jason
-Obi Wan

GoddessDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008   #4
Bamcubz
WIFE - MOM - ME

Bamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond repute

We'll send him the storm that begins with "J". Give you plenty of time to get prepared. Which reminds me, I need to take the gas containers with me tomorrow to fill them up.

At the beach, life passes differently. Time does not pass by the hours but by the moments and moods.
Bamcubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #5
EmperorChaos

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Quote:
Originally Said by GoddessDivine View Post
great now we are cursed... short story: once we were trying to get food at taco bell and jason was like they are out of beef and when we ordered...they were out of beef O_o

so great we will probably have a hurricane now thanks to jason
But see, I knew they were out of beef because I ate all of it.

But no, seriously, they were out of beef and I foresaw that happening. And then we weren't served at some other fast food place downtown. Or maybe that was a different night. Anyway, I still want another hurricane.

Quote:
Originally Said by Bamcubz View Post
We'll send him the storm that begins with "J". Give you plenty of time to get prepared. Which reminds me, I need to take the gas containers with me tomorrow to fill them up.
I've been waiting forever for Tropical Storm/Hurricane Jason.

You see, I got plans to go down the street and smash people's car windows and break mailboxes and what-have-you.

I want to be responsible for Hurricane Jason to be more destructive.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
Old 08-27-2008   #6
Demento
Banned

Demento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Demento Send a message via MSN to Demento

The weather in california is perfect. the hotter part of the year... reaching 93 today. but the light breeze makes it decent weather. the beach was nice today too.. nice cloud cover made it perfect. im fuckng stoned. but nonetheless. i love california

Demento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #7
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo

No other place beats Oxnard. go ahead and take a look at the 5 day forecast...you'll fall in love

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #8
EmperorChaos

Who the hell wants sunshine all the time?
-=-=-=-
Old 08-27-2008   #9
GoddessDivine
I move the stars for no one.

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine

really doesn't matter, CA will be underwater soon and matt will have to grow gills...we should start building a sealab jason but we can call it sealab 2012
-Obi Wan

GoddessDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008   #10
Bamcubz
WIFE - MOM - ME

Bamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond repute

Some places in Calif the weather is nice but try being in the city (Los Angeles) with that same 93 and it will feel more like 113. With all that glass reflecting on you, heat raising from the pavement, too crowded for a breeze to even blow thru. No thanks. I love Carlsbad over looking the cliffs and watching the sunset, parts of San Francisco, up near where Mateo there's Santa Barbara, Solvang which is great to visit in October pick a giant pumpkin out for Halloween or Christmas shopping. I miss Cali once in awhile but I really miss my people there. *sob*

At the beach, life passes differently. Time does not pass by the hours but by the moments and moods.
Old 08-27-2008   #11
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

Madre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond repute

If Gustav hits New Orleans....again, mark my words, Team Dubya (McSame) will be sunk (no pun intended) come November.
III.IIVIVIXIIVIVIIIVVIIIIXVIIIXIIIIIIIIVIIIIVVIIIV IIVIIIIIIVIII - Solomon (I Kings 7:23)
Madre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #12
EmperorChaos

^WILL YOU LET IT GO ALREADY?!
-=-=-=-
Old 08-28-2008   #13
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

Madre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond repute

Why? It is true that it will show the incompetence of the government to ready New Orleans and the Gulf Coast in the event of a new hurricane.

Their makeshift trailers that people are still living in down there can only withstand winds of 35-40 mph. You've got to be kidding me. That's a balmy breeze during hurricane season. It's been three years, for god's sake!
III.IIVIVIXIIVIVIIIVVIIIIXVIIIXIIIIIIIIVIIIIVVIIIV IIVIIIIIIVIII - Solomon (I Kings 7:23)
Madre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #14
EmperorChaos

Quote:
Originally Said by Madre View Post
Why? It is true that it will show the incompetence of the government to ready New Orleans and the Gulf Coast in the event of a new hurricane.
It is not the government's responsibility to protect people from storms. It's your choice is you want to live in a shoddy house along the coast.

Quote:
It's been three years, for god's sake!
Exactly. And if some moron who lives along hurricanes' traditional strike zones can't get himself prepared for the season, that's his own fault!

It's not even that difficult to do. I've lived through several large hurricanes. And after Hugo leveled a city... we rebuilt. And we built bigger and better.
-=-=-=-
Old 08-28-2008   #15
pitcairnpete
Howdy Doodere

pitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to pitcairnpete

I dont want sun all the time, just a bloody week of it.

I can swan around in the garden and complain of the heat.

pitcairnpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008   #16
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Jasondead View Post
Who the hell wants sunshine all the time?
70 degrees year round doesn't mean there's sunshine all the time. I'd say having lived here 10 years, most days are gloomy. it's pretty even throughout the week. Clouds on 3 days. 3 days of sun. and one day you get sun in the morning until about 3pm when you get clouds.

now let me ask you who wouldn't want 70 degrees all the time?

Quote:
Originally Said by GoddessDivine View Post
really doesn't matter, CA will be underwater soon and matt will have to grow gills...we should start building a sealab jason but we can call it sealab 2012

that my friend would be awesome. i'd swim over to the Atlantic. I've never been there.

Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 08-28-2008   #17
EmperorChaos

I guess that weather would be nice most of the time. But doesn't it get a little bland after awhile?

I mean, I like my summer thunderstorms and mild winters.
-=-=-=-
Old 08-28-2008   #18
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

hell no. it's too hot. it's too cold. it's just effing right. somedays are 65 - 60. most nights round 2 in the morning it drops to 40. but at 7 am it's back at 60. then by 12 it's 69 damn degrees.

it looks like it's going to rain, but it's just mist. foggy nights.

really a small town with a ton of people.

back on topic,
are the people going to be extra prepared this time for the Gustav invasion? or just blame the president

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 08-28-2008   #19
Bamcubz
WIFE - MOM - ME

Procedures during Hurricane Gustav

Please prepare as follows:

Office Procedures Concerning Storm and Office Closings:

As we watch the progress of the storm, the following are the firm's guidelines based upon the hurricane's intensity:

Hurricane Category #1
No excuse for being late. Leave earlier to give extra time to avoid fallen trees and limbs.

Hurricane Category #2
Due to the horizontal rain, you may wear jeans.

Hurricane Category #3
Whereas most of the area will be flooded we suggest you avoid wearing open toe sandals when coming to work. Canoes will be provided to get to the building safely without getting wet.

Hurricane Category #4
More than likely there will be no electricity. Given that, we will have manual typewriters available to all staff members.
Please take extra caution and wear water-proof make-up if Category 4 or above.

Hurricane Category #5
Velcro will be provided to keep you attached to your chairs when the windows blow out. For those that survive, we will have Chocolate cake at 3:00 pm in the kitchen.

Have A Nice Day!

Old 08-28-2008   #20
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

you guys better hope for #5. that chocolate cake sounds tempting enough to kill your co worker for his slice.

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina