Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > Media Room > Music

Music Discuss the latest in music. Talk about your favorite or most hated bands and artists. Music theory, tabs, and your recordings also go here.

Old 12-23-2005   #1
david
Elite Member

david has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to david
Merry Christmas

david makes piano noises to the tune of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen and O Christmas Tree.

Here's we goes:

1. God Jazz Ye Merry Gentlemen [5.5MB]

2. O Maj6 Christmas Tree [5.5MB]

Enjois.
Old 12-23-2005   #2
WhiteRiderSN

WhiteRiderSN has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteRiderSN has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteRiderSN has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to WhiteRiderSN
Re: Merry Christmas

This seems like an appropriatly titled thread to state the following:

MERRY CHRISTMAS! to all

I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas with relatives, friends and signifigant others. To those of you that don't celebrate Christmas, I wish you a Happy Festivus!
Old 12-23-2005   #3
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Thoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond repute

Christmas isn't for another two days.

Ah well. Today's my one year anniversary with my girlfriend. She called me all the way from Oregon (I'm in Arizona for the holidays) just to say she hates me. I love girls.
Old 12-23-2005   #4
Wheels
Aristodemus of Sparta

Wheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond repute

Christmas is in less than twelve hours bitch.

Merry fucking christmas! how the fuck are you?

Whoever cannot take care of themself without that law is both.

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Live, I will kill you, If I Die, You are forgiven."

Such is the Rule of Honor.
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005   #5
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

Zanahoria thinks that was sodding awesome, man (just following the whole "refer-to-yourself-in-the-third-person" trend ). You're good at making them "piano noises" of sorts.

And Merry Christmas, indeed!

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005   #6
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Thoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond repute

I hate Christmas this year. It should die a painful death. Painful, I say, painful!
Old 12-24-2005   #7
notlob
rock star

Location: Some galaxy, away from the idiots that inhabit Earth
notlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to notlob

nice one Dave!

although christmas is now..11 hours 13 minutes away..im well into the spirit..and well, here's my little christmas contribution..

Cover of Merry Christmas Everybody by Slade

Check out my music here:Bandcamp, Soundcloud
notlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005   #8
sazzle
I hate you all.

sazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to sazzle

I'll abuse this thread to say Merry Christmas to everyone.

[only 1 hour and 50mins to go!]

A few glasses of rum, and my christmas spirit has suddenly kicked in.

Sooooo, since it's christmas, I hope you all get totally pissed and eat truck loads of ham. It's the way jesus would've wanted it.

Old 12-24-2005   #9
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Quote:
Originally Said by notlob
nice one Dave!

although christmas is now..11 hours 13 minutes away..im well into the spirit..and well, here's my little christmas contribution..

Cover of Merry Christmas Everybody by Slade
Hash, you're a pretty good singer. I never heard you sing before. I mean, not professional but obviously you're not horribly tonedeaf or something like that. I'm not either but my voice is too highpitched, I sound like some gay emo singer. It's not going to get any deeper either, it's like my dad's. Just a high tenor, it sounds bad.
Old 12-24-2005   #10
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

ablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to ablethevoice Send a message via Yahoo to ablethevoice

OK... it's 12/24 and right now Christmas is the last thing on my mind today only. It's my wife's BIRTHDAY! and I told her that her birthday wouldn't be lost in the hustle and bustle of Christmas. Soooo, she just opened her Bday presents and thank God, she loves them. I got her a new velour robe and slippers to replace the tattered terrycloth robe she used to have-lavender colored. Her favorite color. What she still doesn't know is under the tree there is a new webcam, track ball and set of PC speakers with subwoofer for her PC. (Those aren't lavendar colored-but neither is her PC so it all good) She's as much of an internet junkie as I am. We even got a second phone line so we can both surf at the same time.

Merry Christmas to all you great folks here on AS. PLEASE be safe and if you decide to drink, please drink at home and stay there. I want to see you all posting for another year.

EDIT: David, grade A piano work! I only wish I sounded half as good as you do! (check my profile for a podcast site where I put some of my studio output). But yours is some really fine sounding stuff! Obviously been playing for a while.

Well, theres a ham AND a turkey in the oven here... I expect we'll all be rolling away from the table in a few hours. We'll also be munching on:
Glazed carrots
baked squash (my recipe)
candied yams
twice baked potatos with cheddar cheese sauce
wild rice pilaf
green beans with pearl onions
and for dessert, my wife's cherry chip cake with sour cream and cherry icing

'tis the season for indigestion and tooth decay...hehehe

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." —Albert Einstein

“It's fortunate for governments that people don't think." - Adolph Hitler

Sturkis akidit ("shit happens") - Latin

Bent Ears Audio Laboratories - Better Music Through Chemistry

MUSIC IS LIKE CANDY. IT'S ONLY GOOD WHEN YOU GET RID OF ALL THE RAPPERS.
))#####D~~~~ (_l_)

Last edited by ablethevoice; 12-24-2005 at 11:22 AM. Reason: added some more random bullshit
ablethevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005   #11
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

^Haha...you sound old.

You're cool though.
Old 12-24-2005   #12
luminire
shadow in the light

luminire is just really niceluminire is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to luminire Send a message via MSN to luminire

merry christmas guys!
luminire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005   #13
notlob
rock star

notlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond repute

among my presents i (finally) got a BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone!!! and an Arabic Guitar called Al-Oud (pronounced Al-Ood) which is fucking brilliant! its fretless too lol so that adds extra challenge into playin it...but hey! its all good

Old 12-25-2005   #14
Kali
groingrabbingly good!

Kali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond repute

pictars of teh noblot and his oud:

Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005   #15
notlob
rock star

heres a sound clip for all of you!
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 oud.mp3 (374.7 KB, 2 views)

Old 12-25-2005   #16
*Lady Macbeth*

*Lady Macbeth* is divine*Lady Macbeth* is divine*Lady Macbeth* is divine*Lady Macbeth* is divine*Lady Macbeth* is divine*Lady Macbeth* is divine*Lady Macbeth* is divine*Lady Macbeth* is divine*Lady Macbeth* is divine

Quote:
Originally Said by david
That is so fucking awesome [I would generally use multiple exclamation marks, but my envy is preventing me from doing so ]

I don't think I've ever enjoyed listening to a piece of instrumental music this much; I honestly could not prevent the slight head-bobbing, body-swaying, and foot-tapping that vibed from the headphones.

Did you do this impromptu? Please tell me that you practiced it for months before actually recording it. And that you have the sheet music for it, so that I can request you for it. My cousin flatly refuses to let me convince her that 'When the saints go marching in' is almost a christmas carol, and demands that I play her a range of Christmas carols before she leaves.

Have you finished your graded examinations and the likewise? You are the second person in the course of three days who has heartlessly spited my superiority complex by playing mind-blowingly.

Quote:
Originally Said by david
As for this piece, I liked it tremendously. The changes between forte to piano were lovely; but my favourite part of the piece starts at about 4.30- I adore the effect grace notes/demi-semi quavers have on a piece.
Both pieces took fucking ages to download, but they were completely worth it.

Quote:
Originally Said by notlob
Hashim, the piece is lovely. Now that you have that Oud thing, will we be seeing more of you in the music room?

Cheers, everyone. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2005   #17
david
Elite Member

david has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond reputedavid has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to david

Quote:
Originally Said by *Lady Macbeth*
That is so fucking awesome [I would generally use multiple exclamation marks, but my envy is preventing me from doing so ]

I don't think I've ever enjoyed listening to a piece of instrumental music this much; I honestly could not prevent the slight head-bobbing, body-swaying, and foot-tapping that vibed from the headphones.

Did you do this impromptu? Please tell me that you practiced it for months before actually recording it. And that you have the sheet music for it, so that I can request you for it. My cousin flatly refuses to let me convince her that 'When the saints go marching in' is almost a christmas carol, and demands that I play her a range of Christmas carols before she leaves.

Have you finished your graded examinations and the likewise? You are the second person in the course of three days who has heartlessly spited my superiority complex by playing mind-blowingly.

As for this piece, I liked it tremendously. The changes between forte to piano were lovely; but my favourite part of the piece starts at about 4.30- I adore the effect grace notes/demi-semi quavers have on a piece. [i don't remember doing that, but i'm glad it comes across - i don't know what to say]
Both pieces took fucking ages to download, but they were completely worth it.

Cheers, everyone. Merry Christmas!
I have this Christmas book which is just simple single note tunes with chords on top. So yes, i improvise everything on top of your standard tune.

Grades-wise I've Grade 5, but only barely.

I'm intending to take things up again next year once i get my life back in order - i fancy playing up to grade 8 etc. Classically i am poor at playing, but jazz i enjoy, even if it's not particularly brilliant.
Old 12-25-2005   #18
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

ablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to ablethevoice Send a message via Yahoo to ablethevoice

Wow notlob- a fretless guitar! I've not heard of fretless guitars, but I have heard of fretless bass guitars. And everyone I've ever spoken to says to me that fretless bass is the devil'd gift to players. Good job on your little MP3 clip. And a BOSS fx box too! Hey I still wanna hear your band!

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." —Albert Einstein

“It's fortunate for governments that people don't think." - Adolph Hitler

Sturkis akidit ("shit happens") - Latin

Bent Ears Audio Laboratories - Better Music Through Chemistry

MUSIC IS LIKE CANDY. IT'S ONLY GOOD WHEN YOU GET RID OF ALL THE RAPPERS.
))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
ablethevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005   #19
*Lady Macbeth*

*Lady Macbeth* is divine*Lady Macbeth* is divine*Lady Macbeth* is divine*Lady Macbeth* is divine*Lady Macbeth* is divine*Lady Macbeth* is divine*Lady Macbeth* is divine*Lady Macbeth* is divine*Lady Macbeth* is divine

Quote:
Originally Said by david
[i don't remember doing that, but i'm glad it comes across - i don't know what to say] The high notes, almost at the end, you honestly don't remember?

I have this Christmas book which is just simple single note tunes with chords on top. So yes, i improvise everything on top of your standard tune.

Grades-wise I've Grade 5, but only barely.

I'm intending to take things up again next year once i get my life back in order - i fancy playing up to grade 8 etc. Classically i am poor at playing, but jazz i enjoy, even if it's not particularly brilliant.
You're Grade 5?
You've left me speechless. 'God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen' was so grade eight-style!

I'm working on grade five at present, after scraping a pass [118] in grade four [damn that stupid sightreading]. I've been learning for two years, and making 'piano noises' for a few years before that-

and your jazz was astounding, it was apparent which one of the two pieces you most enjoyed playing.
Old 12-25-2005   #20
Kali
groingrabbingly good!

Kali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond repute

you should hear him play 'summertime'.

he can go on for aaaaaaaages.
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote