Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Science

Old 11-10-2013   #1
Savage_Nature
I love my brother.

Savage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond repute
WTF World

So I was reading through this:

Wikilink

And my thoughts turned to something along the lines of, all these poor people, mistreated, abused, tortured, how did people do this?

And then my thoughts turned again and I realized, this is all still going on today. Maybe not exactly the same stuff, but at least equally distasteful. All over the world. The "developed" and "first world" countries are most likely responsible for most of it too.

Humans disgust me. How can our race be so apathetic? So disgusting? Will there ever be a day where this is something we legitimately don't have to worry about? How many "natural disasters", how many great losses of life were our own fault?

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Savage_Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #2
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo
Re: WTF World

I know, it's bad. It can make you sick to think about what other's have done to other's. It's a poor planet. No friends. If everyone on Earth was friends, we'd still have no friends as a planet. We'd probably all want some friends, so we'd make something to find some friends. And we could probably do it too.

For now, try to live through it, try to live forever. Lol.

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #3
Savage_Nature
I love my brother.

Savage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond reputeSavage_Nature has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a news story just yesterday about this guy who is a leader in his field, he helps investigators understand psychopaths, like, people who tape themselves raping women and cutting them up and shit. Turns out he has PTSD, go figure.

Savage_Nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #4
Pittielynn
sweet, funny and down-right CUTE!

Pittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond repute

^ OMG wtf... Are you sure you weren't just watching Hannibal or Dexter?

"Be strong while it's hard and laugh at it after it's over. You just gotta live." - Spadetje

All along I believed I would find you.
Time has brought your heart to me,
I have loved you for a thousand years.
I'll love you for a thousand more...
...One step closer.
o.O♠O.o

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Pittielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #5
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute

You click this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXwfknhqRoE

"The ones who live out where the buses don't run." Lol I love that line.

Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 06-06-2014   #6
Kortenie
on NERD PATROL

Kortenie has a reputation beyond reputeKortenie has a reputation beyond reputeKortenie has a reputation beyond reputeKortenie has a reputation beyond reputeKortenie has a reputation beyond reputeKortenie has a reputation beyond reputeKortenie has a reputation beyond reputeKortenie has a reputation beyond reputeKortenie has a reputation beyond reputeKortenie has a reputation beyond reputeKortenie has a reputation beyond repute

LOL!!!

Fully alive
And she knows how to believe
In futures.
Kortenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014   #7
Sir Kent
Sir Kunty

Sir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond repute

We're terrible because, on the evolutionary scale, we're still climbing down out of the trees. We have so many instincts bred into us for survival that we don't actually need anymore (aggression, domination, etc.), yet there's some statistic about there about how many corporate CEOs qualify as psychopaths. The people getting ahead are the ones who haven't evolved past puffing out their chest and shouting at everyone until they're in charge.
Old 06-12-2014   #8
Comrade Marx

Comrade Marx has a reputation beyond reputeComrade Marx has a reputation beyond reputeComrade Marx has a reputation beyond reputeComrade Marx has a reputation beyond reputeComrade Marx has a reputation beyond reputeComrade Marx has a reputation beyond reputeComrade Marx has a reputation beyond reputeComrade Marx has a reputation beyond reputeComrade Marx has a reputation beyond reputeComrade Marx has a reputation beyond reputeComrade Marx has a reputation beyond repute

Its sad when I hear and read about new weapons that are being developed for the military. I realized that only thing we humans seem to be consistant and effiecent on is new creative ways to kill each other
Comrade Marx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #9
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

How do people just fight everyday?

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 06-14-2014   #10
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Savage_Nature View Post
Humans disgust me. How can our race be so apathetic? So disgusting? Will there ever be a day where this is something we legitimately don't have to worry about? How many "natural disasters", how many great losses of life were our own fault?

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
Do you think every person has the capacity to do that kind of evil, the most heinous expressions of evil known to man? Every person?

I'm not sure. I do believe every person, with each conscious choice, has equal capacity to do as much good as evil, within his or her scope of influence.

How wide a person's scope of influence is, how much power a person's choices have (whether political or social or economic, to speak generally), what a person believes about the world, how a person was brought up, what a person has suffered in life, what means and opportunity of causing destruction a person encounters... all these elements, to me, might help decide the "amount" of evil a person may cause in life. But isn't there something else? It's true the question of "how" any person gets to the point of torturing other human beings, of robbing other human beings of their humanity, how can that happen? How does that happen?

Is it that such evil happens slowly, gradually, so that a person is not, all at once, jarred by the gravity of grotesque behavior? Is it that the capacity for such evil truly is inherent in all people and only needs some external or internal catalyst to manifest itself (and what would an affirmative answer to that say about us?)? It's true, how could any individual (or, as it often is, a group of individuals) be blind to such wrongness or, even worse, be aware of such wrongness and accept it?

Really, what I wonder most about is this question of each person's capacity to do evil.

Still another angle is the motivation behind evil. Weren't some of the worst things humanity has done throughout history motivated by the pursuit of material gain or political power?

All this said, it seems wrong to overlook the remarkable good and beautiful feats of humanity, in terms of art and music and literature and science and architecture and philosophy, feats which might be morally neutral (if that makes sense), but nonetheless represent, to me, a very good reason humanity is worthwhile. The humanitarian efforts, big and small, throughout history and in present day, of individuals and groups also seems to win humanity a point or two. There's also the idea that, while living, we should do all we can as individuals to do good, to, even in the smallest ways, remedy the evil in the world.

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014   #11
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

Aren't you only "evil" though if you lose?

Well if you win... Ya couldn't have been that bad...

Unless you are pure evil, I guess...

lol

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 06-17-2014   #12
Sir Kent
Sir Kunty

Sir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Zanahoria_Picante View Post
Do you think every person has the capacity to do that kind of evil, the most heinous expressions of evil known to man? Every person?

I'm not sure. I do believe every person, with each conscious choice, has equal capacity to do as much good as evil, within his or her scope of influence.

How wide a person's scope of influence is, how much power a person's choices have (whether political or social or economic, to speak generally), what a person believes about the world, how a person was brought up, what a person has suffered in life, what means and opportunity of causing destruction a person encounters... all these elements, to me, might help decide the "amount" of evil a person may cause in life. But isn't there something else? It's true the question of "how" any person gets to the point of torturing other human beings, of robbing other human beings of their humanity, how can that happen? How does that happen?

Is it that such evil happens slowly, gradually, so that a person is not, all at once, jarred by the gravity of grotesque behavior? Is it that the capacity for such evil truly is inherent in all people and only needs some external or internal catalyst to manifest itself (and what would an affirmative answer to that say about us?)? It's true, how could any individual (or, as it often is, a group of individuals) be blind to such wrongness or, even worse, be aware of such wrongness and accept it?

Really, what I wonder most about is this question of each person's capacity to do evil.

Still another angle is the motivation behind evil. Weren't some of the worst things humanity has done throughout history motivated by the pursuit of material gain or political power?

All this said, it seems wrong to overlook the remarkable good and beautiful feats of humanity, in terms of art and music and literature and science and architecture and philosophy, feats which might be morally neutral (if that makes sense), but nonetheless represent, to me, a very good reason humanity is worthwhile. The humanitarian efforts, big and small, throughout history and in present day, of individuals and groups also seems to win humanity a point or two. There's also the idea that, while living, we should do all we can as individuals to do good, to, even in the smallest ways, remedy the evil in the world.
I think there are two types of "bad guys" in the world:

1) People who do things that, either due to politics or philosophy, others believe are evil; but the person carrying out the actions truly believes that what they are doing is right or necessary. If ya'll like vidya gamz, play the Metal Gear series. Big Boss starts out as a generic villain, but when you actually play as him in MGS3, Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes (and presumably MGS5 as well), you learn exactly why he made the choices he did. It wasn't because he wanted money or power.

2) True psychopaths who do things to hurt others because it pleases them. If you've seen the video of that warlord who kidnapped all those girls in Nigeria, it's pretty obvious he's one of the psychos. In his own words, he just wants to keep killing.

Quote:
Originally Said by psychoDiablo View Post
Aren't you only "evil" though if you lose?

Well if you win... Ya couldn't have been that bad...

Unless you are pure evil, I guess...

lol
This probably applies in most cases, but good and evil are human concepts that we're constantly defining. The last 100 years of civil rights activism has changed what the majority of the western world considers justice. Even with a constitution that supposedly guarantees equal rights for all citizens, only white male property owners were considered citizens until women's suffrage came along.
Old 06-17-2014   #13
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

Yeah that fool straight jacked 200 girls from school. He says he'll put em up for ransom, $300,000.

Yeah right.
You think he's kept a roster of which girl and which family she came from? Fuck no.
Those chicks are murdered or worse. He will never give them back.

As for Big Boss, I didn't play MGS3. I was actually mad at part 2. Stupid Raiden and the dumbass fake commander. I loved part 1. I have part 4. I played part 4 alot online. Took many a snapshots in game of me slicing throats lol

uh oh, who's the psychopath again?

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 06-23-2014   #14
Nami
Tome Traveler

Nami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

[...]

Stanley Milgram wondered these things as well. So he conducted an experiment. His results are summarized by this video:

http://youtu.be/4b7YFtiE5EA

Quote:

This can elicit quite the conversation in itself. I do agree that it is essential for us to do good on an individual level. It's like the starfish story... We may not have a single human that can solve all of humanity's problems in one fell swoop, but we can start by making a difference in our own sphere of influence.

Last edited by Nami; 06-23-2014 at 02:07 AM.
Nami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014   #15
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

What is that part of us, that allows to be okay with "evil?" Doing evil things or whatever. Did Hitler ever think for a second, that what he was doing was wrong? And if he did reflect when he was alone, what drove him to continue it? It's like an addict for a drug. They know if they keep doing it, it's wrong. But fuck it, get high anyway. Sheesh

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 06-23-2014   #16
Nami
Tome Traveler

Nami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond repute

The short answer: It's because we have no true standard for right and wrong. It exists, but it is rejected because it is contrary to our nature. Being good takes more effort than being bad (and consequently evil). We are predisposed to do whatever we want. We are also predisposed to do what we are trained to do. It becomes a habit. Moreover, we justify our behavior so we believe we are "good" based on a few actions. We don't like to see our faults. Therefore, we don't see our faults after so many cultivated years of creating a "good" persona that does not match how we actually behave. Because we have "good intentions", we don't bat an eye during the "rare" times we do something wrong.

Nami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014   #17
Jabedin
Aladdin's brother

Jabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond repute

The fact of the matter is that we have language, allowing us (unlike the other beasts in the kingdom) to tell these stories to our spawn in hopes that greater net value may be gained as the universe freezes. Getting hung up on the morality of the past isn't what matters, it's whether or not we collectively prevent its perpetuation by applying solutions learned from the immoral past, but only if it leads to a sustained salvation. Otherwise what is considered immoral may actually be our own societal autism leading us to a path of extinction.

In your heart, pumping your blood
Jabedin is offline   Reply With Quote