Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Sports

Old 02-13-2010   #1
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute
Vancouver Olympics

Current Medals:

(Day 2)
The Men's 5000m Speed Skating (long track) was run in pairs as normal, with Netherlands taking a great win with an Olympic record, Korea, and Russia. The US athletes took 11 (Hedrick), 12 (Davis), and 14 (Marsicano). Hedrick took gold in this event 4 years ago; Davis was a jackass as usual and expected an easy win. Ha.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2010-02-25 at 11.25.52 PM.png (83.8 KB, 17 views)

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Last edited by foxyphoenix; 02-26-2010 at 02:29 AM.
foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010   #2
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic
Re: Vancouver Olympics

This thread is Apolo Ohno approved.

I love the Olympics!

Ohno and Celski got silver and gold in the 1500 speed skating in a very innnnteresting race.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. – Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Jenn and tonic; 02-13-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010   #3
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute

UPDATE: USA's medal total is now 4; 1 gold, 1 silver, and 2 bronze.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. – Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-14-2010   #4
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

Apolo is now tied with Bonnie Blair for the most decorated US Winter Olympian with 6 medals; he has two more events to try to surpass her. Of course, he said in an interview today that to be mentioned in the same breath as Eric Heiden and Bonnie Blair is amazing. What a humble guy. =)

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010   #5
Blackass
groingrabbingly good!

Blackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Blackass

Сразу Овечкин!

Very excited for both hockey tournaments. Pulling for Russia in Men's (Sweden a close second) and for Sweden in Women's. What can I say, I have a thing for Swedish chicks. DEAL WITH IT.

Can't stand the USA or Canadian Men's teams, or the USA Women's team for that matter. Would be cool to see the Chinese women do well I guess, considering they're a bit of a long shot.
Blackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010   #6
SpudNuts
Just Bubblin'

SpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to SpudNuts

We're just shite. Our target is to get 3 medals of any colour. Ha Ha.

Mind you we've some bloke going in the cross country skiing/shooting thing today. I'm predicting he'll come....43rd.

Alba gu bràth
SpudNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010   #7
Pittielynn
sweet, funny and down-right CUTE!

Pittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry guys but the rules of nationalism say I have to post this...

Quote:
Originally Said by http://www.ctvolympics.ca/freestyle-skiing/news/newsid=41513.html

Bilodeau wins Canada's first gold on home soil
CTVOlympics.ca
By Hayley Mick, CTVOlympics.ca Posted Sunday, February 14, 2010 11:07 PM ET
Frédéric Bilodeau shot his fist in the air as a score flashed across the jumbo screen at the men's moguls event at Cypress Mountain.

There was one more competitor left to ski - the formidable Guilbaut Colas of France - but he seemed to know already what Canadians would soon discover: his younger brother, Alexandre, had become an Olympic champion.

After the French competitor's run was over, Alexandre Bilodeau jumped in the air and raised his fist, the mirror of his sibling. Later, the 22-year-old's voice caught when asked what it meant to have Frederic in the stands when he become the first Canadian to ever to win Olympic gold at home. (Continued)
Canada post unveiled a stamp about our first gold on home soil. Yay!

"Be strong while it's hard and laugh at it after it's over. You just gotta live." - Spadetje

All along I believed I would find you.
Time has brought your heart to me,
I have loved you for a thousand years.
I'll love you for a thousand more...
...One step closer.
•°o.O♠O.o°•

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Pittielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010   #8
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

^ Not gonna lie, I was pulling for Bilodeau to win gold and was going to be happy if an American got a medal. Both happened, so I was excited. And another confession: I got a little teary eyed when they broadcast his medal ceremony; it's always amazing to watch when a person not only gets a gold medal, but one at the Olympics in their own country, then add on top how much the Canadians wanted it! It was great!
Old 02-17-2010   #9
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo

TEAM USA ALL THE WAY.

MENS HOCKEY.

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010   #10
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian

:D

Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010   #11
Yugoloth
-----

Yugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Yugoloth

Easy buddy, it isn't over yet (USA leading 10-9 )
Yugoloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010   #12
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute

The Olympics are great. The best of the best from each nation.

But who gives a crap about that other shit.

LETS WATCH MENS HOCKEY

Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 02-18-2010   #13
oceandream130
Future star of a Zach Braff film!

oceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond repute

I LOVE the Olympics!!!...Which is rather confuddling, considering I generally detest sports all other months in-between each spectacle. 0_0

WOOOHOOO - go Shaun White! That was some wicked boarding tonight!

I know I'm 21 are far too old to probably be considering ever taking up a "sport/hobby," but I genuinely long to learn how to snowboard and skate someday (in addition to dance and surfing...yikes, I should get started). It's so incredible to watch this mastery and artistry. :)
Old 02-18-2010   #14
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

Quote:
Originally Said by oceandream130 View Post

I know I'm 21 are far too old to probably be considering ever taking up a "sport/hobby,"
are you serious? this is probably the dumbest thing i could ever think YOU could say... im dumbfounded. i cant even begin to believe you actually typed that shit out, i should slap you

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 02-19-2010   #15
oceandream130
Future star of a Zach Braff film!

oceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by psychoDiablo View Post
are you serious? this is probably the dumbest thing i could ever think YOU could say... im dumbfounded. i cant even begin to believe you actually typed that shit out, i should slap you
Haha, I retract my words. I'm starting all those TOMORROW!

Hell, my friend just passed away; she was my age (well, would have been, had she been allowed 12 more hours on this earth...) and was always such a persistent believer in following one's dreams, no matter how absurd. Damnit, I will do every last goddamn (*cough, excuse my normally polite self*) thing because her dreams were cut far too short. It's never too late. It's never too crazy.
Old 02-19-2010   #16
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

good. i didnt really want to have to slap you...

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 02-20-2010   #17
Bamcubz
WIFE - MOM - ME

Bamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond repute

Not much of a winter sports fan but some the ones I have watched have been pretty exciting.
Way before most of you were born (1976, also held in Canada) I stayed glued to my TV during the summer ones, I was hooked on swimming from that point on- USA took 13 Golds in these events. And even a more memorable event: At age 14, Nadia Comăneci of Romania scored seven perfect 10s and won three gold medals.

At the beach, life passes differently. Time does not pass by the hours but by the moments and moods.
Bamcubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010   #18
SpudNuts
Just Bubblin'

SpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond reputeSpudNuts has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to SpudNuts

We just won our first solo gold medal in 30 years.

Go suicidal skeleton luge woman! Quite fit when I saw her too

Alba gu bràth
SpudNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010   #19
argentmoon
harajuku girl

argentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to argentmoon

so, i used to be a fan of yevgeni plushenko. not anymore. talk about denial.

the spirit in me bows to the spirit in you

argentmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010   #20
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Quote:
Originally Said by argentmoon View Post
so, i used to be a fan of yevgeni plushenko. not anymore. talk about denial.
I know! What a sore loser. I, too, used to be a fan of him and no longer. Lysacek didn't make mistakes, Plushenko did, quad be damned.