Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > AlmostSmartism > Site Issues & Suggestions

Site Issues & Suggestions Post here if you're having problems with anything on the site or forum. Questions also fielded here. Also make suggestions for features or changes you want to see made to Almost Smart.

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2009   #1
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute
Registration is Borked

So, if you try to register a new account, the image verification picture does not show up (in Firefox, Safari, and Chrome).

Amphiskios found this as he lost his password and tried to make a new account; I have confirmed on my three browsers.

This is a huge problem in terms of getting new members, though it might explain why there hasn't been much spam lately.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Old 12-11-2009   #2
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Thoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Registration is Borked

Admin needs to troubleshoot. It probably happened in the vB update
Old 12-11-2009   #3
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

^ it's been awhile since we've had spammers, but I know we had a bunch after the update, so I don't know that the update is what caused it.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. – Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-11-2009   #4
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Thoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond repute

Look
Members list by Join Date (newest first)

The newest member registered on the 16th of September.

Edit - I notified Weasel via the contact tool.
Old 12-11-2009   #5
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

Upon looking for some permanently banned users in the members list, I couldn't find several of their usernames, so if that's what you used to find who last registered, then that's not accurate.

99% of spammers register on the day that they spam. Look:

When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. – Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-11-2009   #6
Weasel
Ich lasse deine Nächte zum Tag werden!

Weasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Weasel Send a message via MSN to Weasel Send a message via Yahoo to Weasel

Not sure what is going on with the image verification, but I've turned it off for now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nirk_9307.jpg (119.7 KB, 13 views)

Almost Smart Admin
Email Me or PM Me

Old 12-11-2009   #7
Weasel

Weasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Weasel Send a message via MSN to Weasel Send a message via Yahoo to Weasel

I think we should be all fixed now with image verification working...anyone want to test?

Almost Smart Admin
Email Me or PM Me

Old 12-11-2009   #8
tricky_dick

tricky_dick is a splendid one to beholdtricky_dick is a splendid one to beholdtricky_dick is a splendid one to beholdtricky_dick is a splendid one to beholdtricky_dick is a splendid one to beholdtricky_dick is a splendid one to behold

Worked fine for me.
Old 12-11-2009   #9
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't I banned for creating a second username (this one) because I forgot the password to my first account? Yes, I was.

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." ~~ Cicero

"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food." ~~ Hippocrates

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.
Old 12-11-2009   #10
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

^Yes, but you shouldn't have been. And I never agreed to that.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
Old 12-12-2009   #11
foxyphoenix

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

^^ Yes; I chastised him immediately and told him to e-mail Weasel for his password.

I mentioned that only to explain how I found out.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Old 12-12-2009   #12
poopy
The ?mægå Mån

poopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to poopy

i am confused and offended by this thread. the ues of my danish family name to discribe your situation in a bad connotation has offended me greatly. i will not have you sully my good name by throwing it around like this.
BEWARE: When eating snacks remember that the fruit roll-up factory feels the need to endanger our lives with a potentially suffocatingly thin transluscent plastic. I am outraged and currently on my way out the door to start a petition for a boycott of any and all fruit roll-up snacks. Please send me a message or post your name, telephone number, and address, and some one will be by to get your signature. Thank You
Old 12-12-2009   #13
tricky_dick

tricky_dick is a splendid one to beholdtricky_dick is a splendid one to beholdtricky_dick is a splendid one to beholdtricky_dick is a splendid one to beholdtricky_dick is a splendid one to beholdtricky_dick is a splendid one to behold

I couldn't get my password emailed to me for who knows what reason. So this isn't a duplicate account so much as a new one. I've told Foxy to ban amph, so there will be no doubt that I am not duplicating accounts.

Otherwise, I think I'm within the rules. If not, well, let me know.
Old 12-13-2009   #14
Yugoloth
-----

Yugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Yugoloth

BAN HIM
Old 12-13-2009   #15
poopy
The ?mægå Mån

poopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to poopy

i still demand an apology for the misuse of my danish family name of bork. i have a proud line of viking ancestry that i will send to haunt you and your children should this situation not be rectified
BEWARE: When eating snacks remember that the fruit roll-up factory feels the need to endanger our lives with a potentially suffocatingly thin transluscent plastic. I am outraged and currently on my way out the door to start a petition for a boycott of any and all fruit roll-up snacks. Please send me a message or post your name, telephone number, and address, and some one will be by to get your signature. Thank You
Old 12-14-2009   #16
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by foxyphoenix View Post
^^ Yes; I chastised him immediately and told him to e-mail Weasel for his password.

I mentioned that only to explain how I found out.
Gee, I was on here for months and lots of people knew I'd been here years ago (2002) using the same name. Why didn't someone just email me my old password? And if it wasn't available after so much time passed, then there shouldn't have been a problem with a new second account.

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." ~~ Cicero

"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food." ~~ Hippocrates

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.
Old 12-14-2009   #17
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by my.dragons.lady View Post
Gee, I was on here for months and lots of people knew I'd been here years ago (2002) using the same name. Why didn't someone just email me my old password? And if it wasn't available after so much time passed, then there shouldn't have been a problem with a new second account.
My dear girl...

When I was your age, I never had a care in the world! I would run around my front lawn stark naked, dear girl, as pure and delightful as the day I was born. Why not throw your cares onto the winds of change, dear one? Why not make a difference in the lives of immigrants? Why not paint the town green instead, young one? *Motivational head jiggle*

Keep it secret! This advice is guaranteed fresh until 2005!
Guaranteed!

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Old 12-14-2009   #18
foxyphoenix

Quote:
Originally Said by my.dragons.lady View Post
As copied directly from your bans:

Quote:
Flaming, flamebaiting, openly questioning Mod decisions, duplicate account, and overall ignoring Mod warnings.
Quote:
Flaming, trolling, baiting, posting about negative rep rather than reporting it, and circumventing closed threads.
The duplicate account was mentioned, but obviously not the sole reason for your ban(s).

-
Carl Sagan

-
Charles Darwin

-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Old 12-15-2009   #19
Weasel

Quote:
Originally Said by tricky_dick View Post
I couldn't get my password emailed to me for who knows what reason. So this isn't a duplicate account so much as a new one. I've told Foxy to ban amph, so there will be no doubt that I am not duplicating accounts.

Otherwise, I think I'm within the rules. If not, well, let me know.
I think the registration problem and the password problem is related. Password resets require an image verification as well...

Almost Smart Admin
Email Me or PM Me

Old 12-15-2009   #20
tricky_dick

Quote:
Originally Said by Weasel View Post
I think the registration problem and the password problem is related. Password resets require an image verification as well...
That was exactly it. Unfortunately I gave up on the reset perhaps preemptively.
Closed Thread