Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > The Blog

The Blog Post the crazy happenings in your life here. If it's interesting enough it may be moved to the main news page.

Old 08-09-2009   #61
GoddessDivine
I move the stars for no one.

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine
Re: Phoenix's Rescues

I love the idea of naming them watson and crick :)

on that note, but only one scientist, Rosalind and Franklin seem pretty cool too
-Obi Wan

GoddessDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #62
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

What about Tweedledee and Tweedledum? Together they are the Tweedles. Or Dee and Dum for short.

Tweedledum and Tweedledee
Agreed to have a battle;
For Tweedledum said Tweedledee
Had spoiled his nice new rattle.

Just then flew down a monstrous crow,
As black as a tar-barrel;
Which frightened both the heroes so,
They quite forgot their quarrel.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #63
Yugoloth
-----

Yugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Yugoloth

Jack and Daniels.
Yugoloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #64
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

Since they're male and female, I favor Samson and Delilah. Ooooh, or Daphnis and Chloe. OR, OR, OR Orpheus and Eurydice.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. – Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #65
EmperorChaos

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

I second the Orpheus and Eurydice names.

The motion carries.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
Old 08-10-2009   #66
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian

Mh, what about "Geriatric Bearded Dragon One and Two"? :D

Well, I'm not very creative with names (as you know). I like "Simon and Garfunkle" as well as "Gin and Tonic" ^_^
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #67
Sytrohs87
goliath

Sytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Sytrohs87 Send a message via MSN to Sytrohs87

Or maybe just George(tte?) and Claude to keep with my previous cat naming suggestions.. I always thought Jazz and French Impressionist composers complimented each other, but perhaps that's just my weird tastes.

-The Mars Volta

"I consider the positions of kings and rulers as that of dust motes. I observe treasures of gold and gems as so many bricks and pebbles. I look upon the finest silken robes as tattered rags. I see myriad worlds of the universe as small seeds of fruit, and the greatest lake in India as a drop of oil on my foot. I perceive the teachings of the world to be the illusion of magicians. I discern the highest conception of emancipation as a golden brocade in a dream, and view the holy path of the illuminated ones as flowers appearing in one's eyes. I see meditation as a pillar of a mountain, Nirvana as a nightmare of daytime. I look upon the judgment of right and wrong as the serpentine dance of a dragon, and the rise and fall of beliefs as but traces left by the four seasons."

-Siddhartha Gautama
Sytrohs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #68
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

I actually originally thought "Abraham and Sarah" would make sense, what with them being an agéd couple, but...ya know. "Watson and Crick" or indeed "Orpheus and Eurydice" (Greek mythology seems less religious than "straight-up" religion, to me; though I understand the opposing view)--or some such--would make more sense for your non-religious purposes of bearded-dragon-naming, foxy. <:D

But Jenn's "Samson and Delilah" would be cool, too. Something ancient- and venerable-sounding....

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #69
EmperorChaos

You have offended me and my Greek Paganist beliefs, Rachael.

HAIL ZEUS!
-=-=-=-
Old 08-10-2009   #70
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Sytrohs87 View Post
Or maybe just George(tte?) and Claude to keep with my previous cat naming suggestions.. I always thought Jazz and French Impressionist composers complimented each other, but perhaps that's just my weird tastes.
My cat is named Monet... so Claude would be confusing.

I want something easy to say/remember/make even cuter pet names for, so the ancient polysyllabic names are probably out...

I'm liking Watson and Crick or Bonnie and Clyde, but I need to hang out with them more to figure out personalities.

EDIT: I must relay some of the adorable old-couple-y things that these lizards do.

1. When they're sleeping, one of them always has his/her hand on the other's back, as if hugging, and they curl up together.
2. Their favorite food is mushed strawberries.
3. When we let them out, if one of them runs to another part of the room, the other one follows immediately.
4. If the male thinks that his lady is threatened, he puffs out his throat patch and does manly push ups. He's totally a grumpy old man.
5. If he gets too into his push ups, the female will do them back and then run over and lick his face. It calms him down.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Last edited by foxyphoenix; 08-11-2009 at 12:14 AM.
foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009   #71
foxyphoenix

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

Decided on Guinevere and Lancelot, Guin and Lance for short.

=)

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Old 08-02-2010   #72
foxyphoenix

Ok, here's some more.

Earlier this summer, my brother brought home a mourning dove that had a gash in its chest and couldn't fly. We had it for a few months and had it fully recover. It was released successfully!

In this one you can see where she lost her feathers on her chest.

We then had a pigeon who'd been hit by a car. His right leg was dislocated and broken. While that was healing (because he couldn't stand) he opened the skin on his breastbone and exposed both breast muscles. We euthanized him.

Today, my dad and I were skating. We almost didn't go because it looked like rain; it did end up pouring on us. Five miles into the twenty mile skate, we saw eggs all over some dug-up ground. It was clear they were snake eggs and (based on size) were either bullsnake or rattlesnake. It looked like they had been dug out of their burrow by a prairie dog (or some other herbivore that had no interest in eating the eggs). One was opened--damaged--and had a deceased 6" embryo inside. We abandoned the rest of the skate to take the remaining nine eggs home, getting them out of the cold, the rain, and reach of predators. Here they are in our incubator:

I don't know why this one has a plant in the dirt clump on it, but whatever.

-
Carl Sagan

-
Charles Darwin

-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Old 08-03-2010   #73
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian

^ So I'll have a chance to see a rattle snake in person next time I'm in th states? We never succeed finding some together when we were out looking for some.

The pigeon sitting on Furby looks awesome ^_^

(Hehe, a plant growing on an egg, that's cool ..and somehow philosophic.)