Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > Media Room > Art & Photography

Art & Photography Right-brained and shutterbug hangout. Post and discuss art and photographs, self-created or otherwise. Also show off your digital graphics, wallpapers, or desktops.

Old 10-05-2010   #1
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute
Foxy Goes to the Desert

Mojave Desertscape

Crotalus mitchellii - Speckled Rattlesnake

Ammospermophilus leucurus - White-Tailed Antelope Squirrel

Foothills of the Granite Mountains

Dipodomys merriami - Merriam's Kangaroo Rat

Dipodomys merriami - Merriam's Kangaroo Rat

Dipodomys merriami - Merriam's Kangaroo Rat and Biologicus geekii

Uma scoparia - Mojave Fringe-Toed Lizard

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #2
cstoll
?!

cstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond reputecstoll has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Foxy Goes to the Desert

Those rats seem much more friendly than the usual rat.

Great close-up of the rattlesnake.

"I have a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel."
--Blackadder
cstoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010   #3
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

Location: Randomly by chance out of nowhere, b/c that's more plausible
Funk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond repute

Foxy, why can't you leave these animals alone.
Stop invading on their territory and distrupting the natural order of things!
Start respecting their civil rights and liberities!
"God is the shaper of your heart. God does not display his work in abstract terms. He prefers the concrete, and this means that at the end of your life one of three things will happen to your heart: it will grow hard, it will be broken, or it will be tender. Nobody escapes." - Ravi Zacharias
Funk*Sonic*7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010   #4
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

^ What about her American rights, huh? Her rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of kangaroo rats?

For Foxy, two questions:

How did you manage to catch those little guys?! Wonderful! :D

and

Either your camera has a really nice zoom or you're rather brave (in reference to one beautiful "rattler" photo). Or maybe both...both happening at the same time? Such crisp and well-composed detail. (I daresay..."draw-able.")

I also think you should put this experience into children's book form, frankly; you already have the title. ;)

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;

Last edited by Zanahoria_Picante; 10-06-2010 at 03:42 AM.
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010   #5
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by cstoll View Post
Those rats seem much more friendly than the usual rat.

Great close-up of the rattlesnake.
They're kangaroo rats and are rather tame. The other species we caught would try to murder us as soon as they were out of the traps, but the kangaroo rats would just hang out on our hands.

Quote:
Originally Said by Funk*Sonic*7 View Post
Foxy, why can't you leave these animals alone.
Stop invading on their territory and distrupting the natural order of things!
Start respecting their civil rights and liberities!
Start respecting my constitutional right to poke wild creatures!

Quote:
Originally Said by Zanahoria_Picante View Post

For Foxy, two questions:

How did you manage to catch those little guys?! Wonderful! :D
We set baited live traps overnight for the mammals. I caught all lizards for the study with my hands; the pictures of the lizards were taken prior to capture. I found the rattlesnake but did not pick it up.

Quote:
Either your camera has a really nice zoom or you're rather brave (in reference to one beautiful "rattler" photo). Or maybe both...both happening at the same time? Such crisp and well-composed detail. (I daresay..."draw-able.")
A combination of both. My camera has 12x optical zoom and a fantastic macro setting, but I had it about two feet from the snake. Rattlesnakes can only strike 1/3 of their length, so I was pretty safe. Also, I'm pretty sure he was asleep the whole time, as he didn't freak out when the other people in my class started screaming.
Quote:
I also think you should put this experience into children's book form, frankly; you already have the title. ;)
I have a biologist friend/mentor who does that: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/193...SIN=1932082093
Makes a pretty penny, too.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Last edited by foxyphoenix; 10-06-2010 at 03:54 PM.
foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010   #6
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by foxyphoenix View Post
We set baited live traps overnight for the mammals. I caught all lizards for the study with my hands; the pictures of the lizards were taken prior to capture. I found the rattlesnake but did not pick it up.
That sounds like lots o' fun. :) What were you studying of those various beasts, if I may ask?

Quote:
A combination of both. My camera has 12x optical zoom and a fantastic macro setting, but I had it about two feet from the snake. Rattlesnakes can only strike 1/3 of their length, so I was pretty safe. Also, I'm pretty sure he was asleep the whole time, as he didn't freak out when the other people in my class started screaming.
They weren't screaming about the snake, were they? o.O Very nicely done, though, on both counts ("brazenly" approaching and photo-capturing that fellow). ;)

Quote:
I have a biologist friend/mentor who does that: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/193...SIN=1932082093
Makes a pretty penny, too.
That's simply magical! Seems like it would be a really fun thing to do, create children's books. And it looks like she does a wonderful job of it. :)

I still say you should make one, though. ;D The main "antagonist" could be Crotalus Mitchellii, or Master Snappy for short. He would have a cape...and an eye patch. (And a great vocabulary.)

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010   #7
oceandream130
Future star of a Zach Braff film!

oceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful! Where did you take these at?

I second the idea of a children's book! :D