Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Sports

Old 02-22-2010   #21
argentmoon
harajuku girl

argentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to argentmoon
Re: Vancouver Olympics

to receive a medal at all is an honor, and silver is still amazing. at that moment he is the second best male ice skater in the world. the world. it's annoying how he's not even grateful for that. being annoyed with a mistake you know you made is one thing, like how apollo was annoyed he was so close to gold. to play martyr because yevgeni got second is another. i was impressed with how lysacek handled everything. it just made him look even better, and yevgeni look even worse.

in other news, yeah, usa hockey!

the spirit in me bows to the spirit in you

argentmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010   #22
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

Quote:
Originally Said by argentmoon View Post
to receive a medal at all is an honor, and silver is still amazing. at that moment he is the second best male ice skater in the world. the world. it's annoying how he's not even grateful for that. being annoyed with a mistake you know you made is one thing, like how apollo was annoyed he was so close to gold. to play martyr because yevgeni got second is another. i was impressed with how lysacek handled everything. it just made him look even better, and yevgeni look even worse.

in other news, yeah, usa hockey!
Me too, he was so gracious. For the most part I think our athletes have showed a lot of class at the Olympics, one more reason to be proud.

Apparently it's a trend among Russian skaters. One of the Russian ice dancers said "We skated the best performance and we have a bronze medal." Way to represent your country well!...not.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010   #23
oceandream130
Future star of a Zach Braff film!

oceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Jenn and tonic View Post

Apparently it's a trend among Russian skaters. One of the Russian ice dancers said "We skated the best performance and we have a bronze medal." Way to represent your country well!...not.
*sigh* I think you are quite right...that shall make the next winter Olympics quite interesting, with them being in Russia and all! Yikes...

Did anyone watch the women's figure skating short program tonight? WOW!

I'll be sad when the Olympics are over. :( Short track tomorrow!
Old 02-28-2010   #24
Bamcubz
WIFE - MOM - ME

Bamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond repute

Is it just me or does it seem this year's Winter Olympics is full of drama drama drama.
From the get go, death of an athlete to scandalous pictures to fur flying Peta cursing to coaching fuck ups.
I feel like I'm watch a Soap Opera than a sporting event.

At the beach, life passes differently. Time does not pass by the hours but by the moments and moods.
Bamcubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010   #25
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

It's mostly the media coverage that blows these things out of proportion. I hardly think that the athletes care about the PETA campaign or the scandalous pictures.

For some reason, a multi-week international sporting event isn't enough to keep people's attention, so the media focuses on as much drama as it can.

The same thing happened four years ago in Turin; Shani Davis and Chad Hedrick don't get along, and the media in the US put so much focus on it that it seemed like they were arch enemies bent on each others' destruction.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010   #26
foxyphoenix

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

To those not watching the Canada vs. USA Men's Hockey Gold Medal game.... GO NOW!

Great fucking goal with less than a minute to go in the third period by US to tie the game at 2-2. OT now.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Old 02-28-2010   #27
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo

yeah, great goal to set it for OT.... but wtf, goalie's can't win games....they can't score goals... USA relied too much on Miller... fuckn Miller needs to go back to basics... STICK ON THE ICE. how else do you score 5 hole on a goalie? Because his stick wasn't in place on the ice where it needed to be; sure enough he got beat.

MVP of the Olympics: Ryan Miller.

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010   #28
foxyphoenix

I fucking HATE Crosby.

Why did it have to be him? Why not anyone else? *sobs*

-
Carl Sagan

-
Charles Darwin

-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Old 02-28-2010   #29
Pittielynn
sweet, funny and down-right CUTE!

Pittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond repute

Whats wrong with Crosby?

"Be strong while it's hard and laugh at it after it's over. You just gotta live." - Spadetje

All along I believed I would find you.
Time has brought your heart to me,
I have loved you for a thousand years.
I'll love you for a thousand more...
...One step closer.
o.O♠O.o

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Pittielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010   #30
foxyphoenix

It is mostly the fact that he rolls around on the ice after the smallest of hits (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob7kXHhj8eM)... but what put me over the edge in terms of dislike was when he whined to the ref about people throwing hats after Ovechkin's hat trick.

(I will also add that 52% of NHL players who responded to a poll called Crosby the "Biggest Whiner". The next highest was 8%.)

-=-=-=-=-

I think that Canada and the U.S.A. played a beautiful, wonderful, exciting game. I'm happy for us to get second to you guys. =)

-
Carl Sagan

-
Charles Darwin

-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Old 03-01-2010   #31
Pittielynn
sweet, funny and down-right CUTE!

Pittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond repute

Well whiner or not, that was a pretty good shot, but I can definitely see where you are coming from. I don't really follow hockey much so I had never seen that pathetic little "dive" before. Sadly that's a sign of the city he comes from. I've seen people try to pull that kind of stuff off in many sports, not just hockey but basketball, soccer... Who knows maybe he was hit hard, and the angle downplays it.

Either way, the gold medal match was excellent, and the USA truly gave Canada a run for their money, so good for you!

"Be strong while it's hard and laugh at it after it's over. You just gotta live." - Spadetje

All along I believed I would find you.
Time has brought your heart to me,
I have loved you for a thousand years.
I'll love you for a thousand more...
...One step closer.
o.O♠O.o

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Pittielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #32
foxyphoenix

He's good, I just don't like him (nor do I like divers in any other sports).

-
Carl Sagan

-
Charles Darwin

-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Old 03-01-2010   #33
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by foxyphoenix View Post
I fucking HATE Crosby.

Why did it have to be him? Why not anyone else? *sobs*
lmao! you and me both now.

homeboy didn't do shit all Olympic long, then he gets the game winning goal, with a great pass from Iginla no less. forget crosby, he can take his medal and shove it. He's not winning a Stanley Cup again. That's for sure. Neither will Ryan Miller though.

GO KINGS

Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 03-01-2010   #34
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

[QUOTE=foxyphoenix;358803]It is mostly the fact that he rolls around on the ice after the smallest of hits (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob7kXHhj8eM)...QUOTE]

yeah, it looks like he taps him on the back of his ankle. It doesn't look like Detroit took a full swing at his ankle. I'd call that a dive if anything, embelishment

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 03-01-2010   #35
Blackass
groingrabbingly good!

Blackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Blackass

Quote:
Originally Said by foxyphoenix View Post
but what put me over the edge in terms of dislike was when he whined to the ref about people throwing hats after Ovechkin's hat trick.
I know, right? Surprised he didn't whine this last time when Ovi smoked the Pens again. But alas, winning is everything and his team won. On my birthday no less :(

In any case, he scored the goal, but it could have been anybody from either team. US gave them a good run, and I found myself rooting for them even with my dislike of Orpik.
Blackass is offline   Reply With Quote