Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > AlmostSmartism > Front Page > Back Page News

Back Page News Not quite front page material.

Old 08-26-2009   #1
Kali
groingrabbingly good!

Kali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond repute
Chris Brown sentenced for attacking Rihanna

US singer Chris Brown has been sentenced to 180 days' community labour and five years' probation for assaulting pop star Rihanna.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8221526.stm

Community labour? That's it? An attack that severe should have had him locked up.

EDIT: Is it only me that finds it ironic that while America criticises Scotland for following legal procedure in releasing a prisoner on compassionate leave, the US judicial system can't even seem to handle a simple case of assault and battery?

Last edited by Kali; 08-26-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009   #2
GoddessDivine
I move the stars for no one.

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine
Re: Chris Brown sentenced for attacking Rihanna

^Don't get it twisted. It is because he is famous that he got that sentence. If another man were to beat a woman as brutally as he did Rihanna he would go to jail. Just like how celebs are caught with coke and they get rehab or community service. For the normal people it would be jail with probation
-Obi Wan

GoddessDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009   #3
Kali
groingrabbingly good!

Kali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond repute

Oh but it is twisted - Megrahi was treated in exactly the same way as any other criminal convicted under Scottish law; Brown, however, is treated as though he's special.

Why is it exactly that he shouldn't be treated like a normal criminal? Having a singing career shouldn't put you above the law.
Old 08-26-2009   #4
Yugoloth
-----

Yugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Yugoloth

Rihanna's testimony could have had something to do with it. I don't know any of the details about the trial, but she could've claimed that she attacked or provoked him. Aren't they still together?

Plus he did surrender himself and then plead guilty.
Yugoloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009   #5
Kali
groingrabbingly good!

I don't think they're still together, but I could be wrong as my flat mate asked me the same thing about an hour ago. That said, if they are still together the 100 foot restraining order lasting 5 years is going to make the relationship pretty tricky.
Old 08-26-2009   #6
Yugoloth
-----

Yugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Yugoloth

I suppose it would.

That said, the reason I brought that up is that a friend of mine was almost killed by his stepfather a few years ago, but since my friend didn't want his stepfather to go to jail, he wound up escaping with probation and lots of court ordered mental therapy. So I think it's up to the victim to a certain degree.
Yugoloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009   #7
GoddessDivine

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine

I don't even know who Megrahi is. But I will tell you that I DO know who Chris Brown is and I am sure many other people will know him over someone named Megrahi as well. Its not necessarily ignorance, but the Chris Brown case was flashed everywhere and pushed down our throats.

Listen, if you are famous, either athlete, socialite, actress whatever, you will most likely get off. Look at OJ Simpson. Had that been just any other normal guy you know he would have been guilty. Same thing like Whitney Houston getting nothing for all the drugs she has brought on planes in the past. Sad but true, fame will get you out of a lot.
-Obi Wan

Old 08-26-2009   #8
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Megrahi.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009   #9
GoddessDivine

well i only scanned that wiki page but 270 accounts of murder and released because he had prostrate cancer!?! I did not hear about this at all.
-Obi Wan

Old 08-27-2009   #10
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Really?!?

Pick up a newspaper... or watch a news channel sometime.

Or hell, read Almost Smart.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009   #11
GoddessDivine

Quote:
Originally Said by EmperorChaos View Post
Really?!?

Pick up a newspaper... or watch a news channel sometime.

Or hell, read Almost Smart.
Yes

I do a few times a week, but the Post and Courier has been getting more lame year by year. It is hard to find a news channel that is not talking about a high profile murder, reality tv and such. Every time I seem to get into the "news station channels" there is showbiz tonight on, or nancy grace talking about something. I used to always watch the little news bits on those channels but it seems like they cover mostly bullshit when i watch. Maybe I need to watch a different times and not the odd morning hours. The only good news show I saw comes on really early like 3 or 4 and i have no idea how long it goes on for, but they cover world news and interesting news. However, I have been going to bed earlier since I have class so no late night news for me.

Also I am exposed to much more celebrity shit than world shit. You know like when you are in line at the grocery store...there isn't megrahi on the cover of a magazine or anything, but Rihanna's face was. You really can't avoid all the celebrity b.s. it is everywhere and always on tv.
-Obi Wan

Old 09-05-2009   #12
Bamcubz
WIFE - MOM - ME

Bamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond repute

No they are still not together nor was that the first time he hit her and for his sentencing of community service Rhianna should be allowed to watch as he cleans public restrooms with his own toothbrush, work in a soup kitchen during the holidays, wash her car, cat, dog and anything else she so chooses, from a safe distance of course.

At the beach, life passes differently. Time does not pass by the hours but by the moments and moods.
Bamcubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009   #13
pitcairnpete
Howdy Doodere

pitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to pitcairnpete

This is hardly going to get women to come forward and talk about what is happening to them by the hands of their abusive boyfriends, husbands etc.

This was a chance for the system to prove that things can change if you show the courage to come forward and press for conviction. What we have here is a slap on the wrist and pretty much nothing else. A great opportunity to help many victims and give them the strength to come forward just wasted. What a pathetic sentence for a severely heinous crime.

pitcairnpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009   #14
notlob
rock star

Location: Some galaxy, away from the idiots that inhabit Earth
notlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to notlob

i was at the supermarket a couple of days ago and i saw a tabloid magazine that said Rihanna still wants to get back with him....

stupid cow

Check out my music here:Bandcamp, Soundcloud
notlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009   #15
poopy
The ?mægå Mån

poopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to poopy

the way she is put together, she should be a national treasure and he should never see the light of day
BEWARE: When eating snacks remember that the fruit roll-up factory feels the need to endanger our lives with a potentially suffocatingly thin transluscent plastic. I am outraged and currently on my way out the door to start a petition for a boycott of any and all fruit roll-up snacks. Please send me a message or post your name, telephone number, and address, and some one will be by to get your signature. Thank You
poopy is offline   Reply With Quote