Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > Media Room > Movies & TV

Movies & TV Talk about your favorite films and TV shows or find out if a new movie is worth seeing.

Old 05-16-2009   #1
Kali
groingrabbingly good!

Kali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond repute
Eurovision

Anyone else watching it?

So excited for the utter crap that is going to be shown on my TV over the next few hours.
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009   #2
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic
Re: Eurovision

What is Eurovision?
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009   #3
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Thoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond repute

Something European, no doubt. Don't worry about it. I'm not going to worry about it.
Old 05-17-2009   #4
Kali
groingrabbingly good!

Kali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond repute

Ah. I'd forgotten about this little cultural divide.

Eurovision is an annual singing/song competition between 42(?) European countries. For one night every year madness descends across Europe and we are treated to some of the most bizarre performances ever witnessed by man. I don't know how to describe it really, you'll just have to watch some

But the madness aside, Eurovision was where Abba made their name, and for any rock music fans who know or have heard of Lordi, Eurovision was also their debut.

This year's competition wasn't bad actually, the music quality has definitely improved since last year. And for the first time, the voting wasn't wholly political, as it usually is (which is the main reason it was in Russia this year - all the other countries voted for it so they wouldn't lose their water and electricity supplies).

It's a good laugh, and every now and then something good comes out of it.
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009   #5
Grunt
Aye, very good

Grunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond reputeGrunt has a reputation beyond repute

Basically its a chance for Britain to laugh at continental Europe for their complete lack of musical talent.
As Kali states correctly, occasionally something manages to make its way through quarantine at British shores -the likes of ABBA, The Cardigans, Ace of Bass...
But hey - thats probably due to having a frontwoman who is blonde and has legs right the way up to her head.

Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009   #6
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

Oooh interesting. I don't know why I'd never heard it before...the link to Ukraine 2007 is mesmerizingly bad; I've watched it three times now.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009   #7
David-
Double Plus Good

David- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Grunt View Post
Basically its a chance for Britain to laugh at continental Europe for their complete lack of musical talent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBOnDcmckdc
David- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009   #8
sazzle
I hate you all.

sazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond reputesazzle has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to sazzle

It's gathered a bit of a cult following in Australia. They had Aussie commentators this year taking the piss out of everything. I still can't figure out whether they know they look ridiculous or not...nevertheless I love watching it
Old 05-18-2009   #9
moonlight_serenade
groingrabbingly good!

moonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond repute

I was looking for this thread...

I agree, some surprisingly good-quality music came out this year. Better than last year, anyhow (*cough*IrelandandSpain*cough*). Still, Britain, seriously, don't let the two people responsible for some of the drippiest pop-ballads ever write your entry.

Should we do a country-by-country critique, or would that take too long?

moonlight_serenade is offline   Reply With Quote