Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > Media Room > Music

Music Discuss the latest in music. Talk about your favorite or most hated bands and artists. Music theory, tabs, and your recordings also go here.

Old 12-24-2008   #1
Kali
groingrabbingly good!

Kali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond repute
Favourite Christmas songs?

What is/are everyone's favourite Christmas song/s?

I love the old classics, but one song that always makes me sigh is 'I'm Sending a Letter to Santa Claus' by Vera Lynn. It was written in 1939, about a little boy who wants Santa to bring his Daddy home for Christmas. It's heart-wrenching, and you can just feel the war in the song.

I also love 'Santa Baby' by Eartha Kitt. It's so cheeky and coy, it's great fun to sing (and act) along to.

What about everyone else?
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008   #2
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

Madre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Favourite Christmas songs?

"O Holy Night" (sung by Josh Groban), "I'll Be Home For Christmas," "We Need a Little Christmas," "White Christmas" (only sung by Bing Crosby), and "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" (sung by Andy Williams). Also, Eartha Kitt's version of "Santa Baby" is better than Madonna's.
III.IIVIVIXIIVIVIIIVVIIIIXVIIIXIIIIIIIIVIIIIVVIIIV IIVIIIIIIVIII - Solomon (I Kings 7:23)
Madre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008   #3
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

Every Christmas I'm always looking for good songs, making new CDs. I love Christmas songs!

I do agree, Earth Kitt's Santa Baby is the best one. Here are some of my favorites:

The Christmas Song- Nat King Cole
Blue Christmas- Elvis Presley
Oh Holy Night- as sung by my mom
Please Come Home for Christmas- Charles Brown

And I hate myself for saying it...but All I want for Christmas by Mariah Carey is divine.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. – Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008   #4
Kali
groingrabbingly good!

Kali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Jenn and tonic View Post
And I hate myself for saying it...but All I want for Christmas by Mariah Carey is divine.
Oh my god I love that song! I'm glad I'm not the only one.
Old 12-24-2008   #5
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

Madre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond repute

yup, me too! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8rY0Fyws20
III.IIVIVIXIIVIVIIIVVIIIIXVIIIXIIIIIIIIVIIIIVVIIIV IIVIIIIIIVIII - Solomon (I Kings 7:23)
Old 12-24-2008   #6
Kali
groingrabbingly good!

Now this is a bizarre Christmas song/video.
Old 12-24-2008   #7
Pittielynn
sweet, funny and down-right CUTE!

Pittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond repute

My favorite is Carol of the Bells. When it is sung by a good choir, it sound absolutely amazing.

"Be strong while it's hard and laugh at it after it's over. You just gotta live." - Spadetje

All along I believed I would find you.
Time has brought your heart to me,
I have loved you for a thousand years.
I'll love you for a thousand more...
...One step closer.
•°o.O♠O.o°•

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Pittielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008   #8
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute

^ Me too!

Our glee club and two other highschool choirs sang it in rounds at a parade event for The Citadel in Charleston. I couldn't sing a note, but they needed warm bodies so several of us talked the words throughout the song quietly so we couldn't be heard. The trip was well worth it because we also got to see bagpipe players and more.

As an instrumental, Carol of the Bells is my absolute favorite and can serve almost any celebration. It covers every nuance I appreciate in music.

Quoted from here:
Quote:
Title: Carol of the Bells, originally titled Shchedryk.

Author: Composed by Mykola Dmytrovych Leontovych (1877-1921) in 1916. Originally titled Shchedryk, this Ukranian folk song is about a sparrow and the bountiful year that awaits a family. It was first performed in the Ukraine on the night of January 13, 1916, on the Julian calendar this is considered New Year's Eve. In the United States the song was first performed on October 5, 1921 at Carnegie Hall.

Interesting Fact: Peter J. Wilhousky (1902-1978) wrote new lyrics based on the melody of Shchedryk in 1936. He copyrighted it and the song is what we now know as "Carol of the Bells". As the title implies, this hauntingly beautiful song is about the sound of bells come Christmas time.
After hearing the Trans-Siberian Orchestra perform Carol of The Bells, I have to say they really do it for me.

Second is Handel's Messiah. Except for school where it was played from beginning to end nonstop, I've only heard the three parts separately but I always recognize it no matter what part I hear.

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." ~~ Cicero

"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food." ~~ Hippocrates

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.
my.dragons.lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008   #9
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY1ot...eature=related

The one and only holiday/winter/Christmas song that doesn't make me want to stuff my ears full of cookies.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008   #10
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot one. Dennis Leary singing "Merry F#%$in' Christmas!" I was going to post the lyrics, but probably wouldn't be a good idea. I love it. It always makes me grin

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.

Last edited by my.dragons.lady; 12-25-2008 at 12:39 AM. Reason: correction
Old 12-25-2008   #11
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

Quote:
Originally Said by foxyphoenix View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY1ot...eature=related

The one and only holiday/winter/Christmas song that doesn't make me want to stuff my ears full of cookies.
Not me. I love Christmas music. Weasel and Punk Tinker Bell hate it, but Hamana likes it too.
Old 12-25-2008   #12
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

Am I the only one who absolutely detests "Santa Baby"? I mean, you're all, of course, entitled to your opinions, but... *Soul tremors*

Or maybe I've just been hearing the "wrong" versions on la radio....

I am a fan of Josh Groban's renditions of certain Christmas songs. Few of those I can refuse. I've always liked "O, Holy Night" especially, though, mostly regardless of who sings it.

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008   #13
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

"Santa Baby" was cute once when I was too young to comprehend inuendo. I remember thinking the singer's Santa costume was funny because Santa didn't dress like that....

I liked Eartha Kitt a great deal, just not that particular song. She's sung far more memorable songs, imo.

Old 12-25-2008   #14
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by my.dragons.lady View Post
"Santa Baby" was cute once when I was too young to comprehend inuendo. I remember thinking the singer's Santa costume was funny because Santa didn't dress like that....

I liked Eartha Kitt a great deal, just not that particular song. She's sung far more memorable songs, imo.
Exactly. It sounds like she's trying to seduce Santa Claus and that's just creepy. What the cheese?

I'm sure Eartha Kitt is a great vocalist; I'm just not a fan of that song, either. *Shrugs*

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008   #15
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

Yup. Eartha Kitt was an excellent all around performer on stage, in films and singing. Really something else. She was Batgirl in 1967! And she was made to leave the U.S. after speaking out against the Vietnam war. Allowed back 10 or so years later by Jimmy Carter. She also refused to play for segregated audiences. Ahead of her time and gutsy.

Even though alot of people got a kick out of "Santa Baby", it's sort of a gratuitous piece that overshadowed other accomplishments. Or so I think. Didn't mean to go on and on, but she really is one of my favorites in the unreal world of entertainment :.)

Old 12-25-2008   #16
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Madre View Post
Not me. I love Christmas music. Weasel and Punk Tinker Bell hate it, but Hamana likes it too.
Hockey Mom loves it, too: 24 freakin' 7 of Christmas songs.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008   #17
Bamcubz
WIFE - MOM - ME

Bamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a big fan of Christmas songs. They won't let me start playing them at work until Dec. 1st otherwise I think I would try and play them year round.

The song David Bowie and Bing Crosby sing....."Peace on Earth" or something like that. "Ava Maria" but only with certain people sing it.

At the beach, life passes differently. Time does not pass by the hours but by the moments and moods.
Bamcubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008   #18
GoddessDivine
I move the stars for no one.

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine

i know this is kinda lame, but Mariah Carey, All I want for Christmas. One of my favorite parts of Love Actually is when they sing that song at the recital
-Obi Wan

GoddessDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008   #19
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

Quote:
Originally Said by Zanahoria_Picante View Post
Am I the only one who absolutely detests "Santa Baby"? I mean, you're all, of course, entitled to your opinions, but... *Soul tremors*
Yes. You're the only one. And you must now be burned at the stake for your opinion.

A song I absolutely hate but most people love is Little Drummer Boy. I can't listen to the song without getting twitchy. I've even left stores in which the song started to play.

I grew up quite religious, and though I'm not anymore, I still tend to sing and listen to christmas hymns. A couple of my favorites are The First Noel, Angels we have Heard on High, Gloria (In Excelsis Deo), O Holy Night (as previously mentioned), and Little Town of Bethlehem.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. – Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008   #20
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

Quote:
Originally Said by Bamcubz View Post
I'm a big fan of Christmas songs. They won't let me start playing them at work until Dec. 1st otherwise I think I would try and play them year round.

The song David Bowie and Bing Crosby sing....."Peace on Earth" or something like that. "Ava Maria" but only with certain people sing it.
Yes, Bing sings "The Little Drummer Boy" and David Bowie sings "Peace on Earth." That's really cool.