Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > General

General If it doesn't belong anywhere else it goes here.

Old 12-23-2008   #1
Kali
groingrabbingly good!

Kali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond repute
The Christmas Spirit

So I just got off the phone with the T-Mobile call centre about some problems I was having with my phone, and I'm smiling.

I have never smiled after a call centre phone call, even when things have been sorted out - because the people on the other end never sound anything other than miserable, annoyed and all but suicidal.

But this was the most helpful man I have ever spoken to. Not only did he give me the code I needed, he also updated all sorts of things I'd never gotten round to doing, despite the fact that it meant that he had to stay on the phone with a useless customer who can't do things herself for yet another 15 minutes.

Not only this, but I didn't exactly call at the happy-service-time-of-day - it was about quarter to five, towards the end of what had probably been a very very long day, and I've no doubt he'd have been dying for his tea by that point (I certainly would have been).

And yet, the entire time, I could hear the man smiling. All day I've been fretting over my phone, over my bloody tooth, over Christmas, over flights, over college work etc - and this lovely lovely man cheered me up no end.

Then at the end, to top it all off, he wished me Merry Christmas.

For all the shit that everyone's going through (and let's admit it, this time of the year is rife with life-crap), all it takes is a smile and a "Merry Christmas" to make it better, even temporarily.

I just thought that, as sappy as all of this is, it was something worth saying - and certainly something worth remembering.

Has anybody else ever had a similar experience?
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008   #2
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Christmas Spirit

Ah, I think I know what you mean. :D

Coming from the other end of "serving people" (in the deli), it always makes things just a bit better when people don't treat others like pieces of equipment or drag a wave of negativity with them over everywhere they go; it is always deeply refreshing when people treat other people not just well, but as well as they can, and somehow more than that.

As a "for instance," this one guy came up to the deli's hot case when we were really, incredibly busy and I was having a small panic attack, and he asked for five, fried wings, and I said, "I can't do that without disassembling three of the eight pieces," (which have two wings each) and he said "well?" and nodded at me sarcastically to "do it." I looked under the case and saw there wasn't actually any chicken made up at all. I told him that, and he charged off in a huff, even though I called to him that I could make him some, if he wanted. I literally wanted to sobbed right in front of the crowd of people at the case, but then two of the customers, two ladies, encouraged me and were really polite and patient when I started serving. It is just really nice to see people willing to help others at all, even in small ways, much like your story, Kali.

So yeah, I think I know what you mean. I'm glad that fellow cheered you up. :)

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008   #3
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

I didn't have an experience but my dad did today. He was sorting out something financially with Bank of America and the lady on the phone was quite nice and I think he got the issue resolved quickly.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008   #4
Demento
Banned

Demento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Demento Send a message via MSN to Demento

I work as server in a restaurant.. i saw two fellow servers get no tip on $60+ checks.

People are fucking rude.
Demento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008   #5
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

Quote:
Originally Said by Demento View Post
I work as server in a restaurant.. i saw two fellow servers get no tip on $60+ checks.

People are fucking rude.
Indeed. Because of this, I chronically overtip when i go to restaurants.

And the funniest thing about it? The WORST tippers--and rudest people-- overall are churchgoers.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008   #6
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

I tip 20% as a base because I know that my friends and I are sometimes annoying: if the service is really good or the group is large, I often go up to 25%.

Amazon screwed up my textbook order, but I talked to someone who sorted it all out within a few minutes. It was wonderful, and left me feeling fine instead of angry. He wished me a stress-free holiday season.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008   #7
Demento
Banned

Demento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond repute

Its too bad that good tippers are rare. And its always the needy-ass fucking bitches that tip 10% or less because you didnt refill their water 12 times and get their super-vague but complicated order right.

Whenever i go out to eat, i will always tip 20% as a base. More if i made them work more then usual, less if they only had to make 3 trips to my table. Greet, Drinks, Entree.

Interestingly enough... its always the table you think you did poorly on that tip over 20%.
Old 12-25-2008   #8
GoddessDivine
I move the stars for no one.

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine

Quote:
Originally Said by Jenn and tonic View Post
Indeed. Because of this, I chronically overtip when i go to restaurants.

And the funniest thing about it? The WORST tippers--and rudest people-- overall are churchgoers.
So do I. Though I have never been a server or even involved in the food industry, I always tip well. Even if the server is horrible or just having a bad day, I always leave at least 20%.

If only people in stores would be so nice this time of year. Not the cashiers mind you, but the people that reach over you when you are looking at something, bitch while in line, or bump into you without so much as a sorry. I think many people loose their minds around this time of year. I try not to go to stores unless I have to, especially the week of christmas, and a few days after, due to all the returning going on.
-Obi Wan

GoddessDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008   #9
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Its too bad that good tippers are rare. And its always the needy-ass fucking bitches that tip 10% or less because you didnt refill their water 12 times and get their super-vague but complicated order right.
I was at a restaurant last week, and at the table next to me, this guy was making the waitress work really hard--she refilled his drink four times that I saw, and he kept downing the drink as soon as she walked off. She was walking by with a huge tray, food loaded, and he had the gall to shake his empty glass at her. I would have thrown something at him if I were her. This is why I will never be a waitress; I wouldn't be able to handle those situations with grace. Oh, and the guy? I noticed before he left...he left 50 cents on the table as a tip. Since she was my waitress as well, I left a 40% tip for her; I normally can't afford to do that, but I felt so sorry for her.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-25-2008   #10
David-
Double Plus Good

David- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond repute

Well I hope you tip in McDonalds.
David- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008   #11
GoddessDivine

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine

^I hope you tip period, lol
-Obi Wan

Old 12-25-2008   #12
David-
Double Plus Good

David- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond reputeDavid- has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by GoddessDivine View Post
^I hope you tip period, lol
Do you know what this is? It's the world's smallest violin, playing just for the waitresses.
David- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008   #13
GoddessDivine

^WOW, you are becoming a proper american
-Obi Wan

Old 12-25-2008   #14
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian

^ Wait, wasn't that in Spongebob?
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008   #15
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Quote:
Originally Said by David- View Post
Well I hope you tip in McDonalds.
If they were taxed on their sales and made below minimum wage, I would.
Old 12-25-2008   #16
EmperorChaos

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

I don't really tip, but then I don't really go places that require tipping nor do I have money or want to partake in food. I dislike that tipping has become expected; in this way, the employer is not required to pay a decent salary, customers take up the burden of adequate wages for services rendered, and income tax is not being properly collected. Some food service staff seem to think that even if they do a mediocre job, they deserve a tip.

I especially don't think it is important to tip at bars, especially since the price of liquor has been marked up so high. However, I do tip at bars that I go to frequently (though those are few now) because then I will be treated to better service.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
Old 12-26-2008   #17
Demento
Banned

Quote:
Originally Said by Wormtongue View Post
I don't really tip, but then I don't really go places that require tipping nor do I have money or want to partake in food. I dislike that tipping has become expected; in this way, the employer is not required to pay a decent salary, customers take up the burden of adequate wages for services rendered, and income tax is not being properly collected. Some food service staff seem to think that even if they do a mediocre job, they deserve a tip.
There are a few basic unspoken rules that would apply here.

1) Dont fuck with people who handle your food.

2) Dont go to dinner in a restaraunt if you cannot afford the price of the meal and service.

Ive seen a guest say "Oh, well we didnt expect the food to be so expensive, so we cant leave a tip". Read the fucking menu ffs.
Old 12-26-2008   #18
GoddessDivine

I agree. Read the menu, figure out what you have the money for and spend accordingly. Otherwise got to a grocery store and buy the food and cook it yourself. You are paying to have your food made and you tip because you are being served, imo of course
-Obi Wan

Old 12-26-2008   #19
EmperorChaos

Quote:
Originally Said by Demento View Post
There are a few basic unspoken rules that would apply here.
I'm not a real fan of unspoken rules either.

Quote:
1) Dont fuck with people who handle your food.
Why? They might spit in it? Put something gross in it? My stomach has hydrochloric acid in it, it can handle it. And if I find out that something's been done to my food, god help those poor bastards.

Quote:
2) Dont go to dinner in a restaraunt if you cannot afford the price of the meal and service.
See, you're already including service in the price of the meal. Tips are expected. That's bullshit. I think the food service industry should be paid more so that tips can be at the customer's discretion.

Again, I'll tip well if I feel it is deserved. I'll also tip well if I regularly visit the establishment. When I worked at Home Depot, I used to go to the nearby Denny's frequently after work with some co-workers. I would often leave a large tip so that I am treated better. We're seated quickly and our server is constantly checking on us.

Quote:
Originally Said by GoddessDivine View Post
I agree. Read the menu, figure out what you have the money for and spend accordingly. Otherwise got to a grocery store and buy the food and cook it yourself. You are paying to have your food made and you tip because you are being served, imo of course
Well, of course. I understand paying for the food to be prepared, but how often is the cook tipped? I know some places divvy up their tips so that everyone gets a share... but still. Most chefs are making adequate money for the job they are performing. The problem is the food service companies are paying the servers less money so that it is important that they make tips as well. I think this is bullshit. They are doing their jobs. I believe they should only be tipped if the service is excellent.

And I NEVER EVER EVER tip at Starbucks or any coffee place.
-=-=-=-
Old 12-26-2008   #20
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

Madre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond repute

Punk Tinker Bell worked as a server at Chili's last year and would come home with all sorts of stories. I kind of wish my.dragons.lady hadn't deleted her post. What she wrote was the kind of story that Tink would tell me about all the time. People in a large group that would stay and talk and talk, mostly only order coffee or iced tea or something, maybe an appetizer dish, and take up one of the server's large tables for hours. Then they would tip perhaps $1 per person, if that.
III.IIVIVIXIIVIVIIIVVIIIIXVIIIXIIIIIIIIVIIIIVVIIIV IIVIIIIIIVIII - Solomon (I Kings 7:23)
Madre is offline   Reply With Quote