Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Debate & Politics

Debate & Politics Fight! Fight! Fight! Keep your arguments clean, and be constructive about getting your point across.

Old 02-27-2008   #1
Kali
groingrabbingly good!

Kali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond repute
AS' 1st Balloon Debate

Welcome to AS' 1st Ballon Debate, featuring:

Mr Definistrate as Sean Connery,misfitchris as Hunter S. Thompson, Emperor Chaos as Alexander the Great, Demento as Ghandi, Jenn and Tonic as William Shatner, Zanahoria Picante as C.S. Lewis , notlob as Slash, and jackthepanda as Rosie O'Donnell!

Because they put their names down on the original thread Sytrohs87 and pitcairnpete may still participate once they have decided the characters they wish to be.

So, for the first round, this is how it works.

Everybody may write up to 200 words on why they should be allowed to remain in the balloon. After everybody has argued for their survival a vote will be held, where those in the balloon will decide upon who they will throw out.

You may not use this opportunity to argue why other people should be thrown out of the balloon, only why you should be allowed to stay. Slagging off other characters will happen at a later stage.

You may write your 200 words and nothing else. Any other posts or comments will be considered a forfeit, until I say otherwise. (The other thread may be used for comments about this thread, but I'm keeping this one precisely on topic.)

This round will be open until - well, until I decide to close it. The sooner everyone gets it done, the sooner we can move onto the next stage (by tomorrow night, preferably). If it's days later, and people haven't posted, then we'll just move on without them.

Ready? Go!

Last edited by Kali; 02-27-2008 at 02:46 PM.
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #2
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute
Re: AS' 1st Balloon Debate

My Dear Balloon-fellows,

In a steadily descending situation such as the one we immediately suffer, my desire to do all within my ability to lift the spirits of you, my fellow falling-balloon occupants, has been sharply provoked.

Allow me to expound:

I wish to alert you to the hindrance(s) set upon my ability to do this (assist in increasing morale and in subduing the tendency to resort to alarm) if you should choose to evict me from the position I currently occupy. Flailing down thousands of feet earthward, I presume I could do almost nothing to realize my desire to comfort and assist you, my friends.

Although, my contributions to society--in literature, mainly--flounder to match the proficiency and historical and cinematic clout achieved by those beside me, I believe it is within my character, and insist it is within my present ambition, to aid my fellows through this balloon-basket-confined hurly-burly.

Besides that, I have biscuits. Biscuits--And tea--both fresh, toasty, bundled in this comely wicker basket. Please, take your fill. Whether you maintain my presence here or not, someone ought to utilize the warmth and savor these delights always provide.

Your affectionate Balloon-fellow,
C.S. Lewis

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #3
Mr. Definistrate
I'm a magic man

Mr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, m8's! me name's Sean connery, at your service!

While I'm sure we all have good reasons for staying, I believe that I have the best. If this baloon of ours has got to pop, who do you want to narrate this tragic story? Someone who will write our tragedies in a book, in a play, over the radio, or anywhere else? NO! you want the sexy voice of sean connery to ease you down to your doom, if it must occur then we must do this right.

Moreover, being the good fellow I am, I brought along some fine Scottish Whiskey, for me and my last mates to enjoy on the way down. So long as I stay in the baloon, the worst way you can die is with a smile on your face!

Your Scottish friend as always,
Sir Sean Connery

"There is, after all, more social justice in a loaf of bread than in schemes for a fairer distribution of wealth. Putting it another way . . . Adam Smith, however unfashionable, can feed more people than Karl Marx can."
--Forbes article on Food crisis in India

Quote:
Originally Said by Zanahoria_Picante View Post
Little Jimmy: (Tries to pour cereal from box; nothing comes out) "Nothing...for breakfast?"
Announcer: "That's right, little Jimmy! Nihilistic Crunch comes with a little nothing in every box!"
Little Jimmy: "Gee wiz, Mister! Won't I be hungry for the rest of the day?"
Announcer: "Well, Jimmy, that's the cost of keepin' it real."
Little Jimmy: (looks downcast)
Announcer: "Nihilistic Crunch: Now utterly devoid of swirls!"

Last edited by Mr. Definistrate; 02-27-2008 at 08:50 PM. Reason: grammar
Mr. Definistrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008   #4
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

hai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond repute

i should stay for comic relief and entertainment purposes. that's all i have to say.
Old 02-28-2008   #5
notlob
rock star

Location: Some galaxy, away from the idiots that inhabit Earth
notlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to notlob

Alright guys? Considering we're falling to the ground in a really badly made balloon, i'll make this quick.

I'm one of the finest guitarists who has ever lived, for proof in that you just have to look at Guitar Hero 3 in which i was featured as one of the main bosses. Aswell as that, if anyone saw me, they would instantly say 'that over there is slash' simply because of my tophat.

I'm a rock icon, a rock legend, who's work with well reknowned rock bands Guns N' Roses and Velvet Revolver has got me two Gold albums and one 3x Platinum album.

I've contributed so much to the music world and i know that if i stay on i can do so much more, work with many more people and help more people see rock music and love rock n roll

thank you.

Check out my music here:Bandcamp, Soundcloud
notlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #6
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

I should be allowed to remain in the balloon because on top of portraying one of the world’s most beloved characters (Captain James T. Kirk) for three seasons on television as well as in numerous movies, I devote my time and attention to charity, including Habitat for Humanity, Clothes off our Back, and Ahead with Horses. These are important, and I feel that I should be around in order to give back to the world. I was also in only the best two television series ever: T.J Hooker, and Rescue 911- riveting performances, both of them. The world would be worse off without my kind of talent in it. And listen, would YOU throw someone this sexy from a hot air balloon?
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008   #7
misfitchris
zer0.

misfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart god
Send a message via AIM to misfitchris

I'm Hunter S. Thompson, creator of gonzo reporting, and the character
depicted in "Where the Buffalo Roam" and "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas."

Besides, I brought "two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine and a whole multicolored collection of uppers, downers, laughers, screamers . . . Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls." Lets see how high this fucker can go.

...in case that fucker rosie o'donnel gets hungry:

Don't you just love it when the end result is greater than the sum of its parts?

Last edited by misfitchris; 02-28-2008 at 06:32 PM.
misfitchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #8
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Περὶ τῆς Ἀλεξανδρέων διαλέκτου. Ἐὰν θέλεις, ἐλθὲ μεθ' ἡμῶν. -Μέγας Aλέξανδρος

Oh sorry.

I am Alexander III, the Basileus of Macedon. I am a Pharaoh, a Shah, a King, an Emperor, and an advocate of Hellenistic Hegemony.

I am responsible for most of the freedoms and liberties you enjoy today as I conquered the known world during my time and spread Greek culture throughout it. Had it not been for my efforts, many of you might be speaking Persian! If you enjoy democracy and fair trials, you might wish to keep me in this uh, well, Aristotle calls it an aero-something.

Oh and that's another thing. I studied under the tutelage of the very learned polymath Aristotle. Therefore I know a lot of things. But my use to you is primarily of that of a general. I am an exceptional leader and can be looked at to make decisions. After all, we don't know where we are headed but downward and what we'll find when we get there. I can take the burden of worrying about that off of you.

I am Great after all.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #9
Kali
groingrabbingly good!

Kali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys, my apologies for the huge delay - my computer totally died on me, so I had to wait until I could get up here and use the boy's.

Anyhoo, everyone has submitted their plea for safety except Demento - and I think he's had long enough, so he's out.

Now everybody has the chance to vote on which person they want to kick out of the balloon. The options are:

Mr Definistrate as Sean Connery
misfitchris as Hunter S. Thompson
Emperor Chaos as Alexander the Great
Jenn and Tonic as William Shatner
Zanahoria Picante as C.S. Lewis
notlob as Slash
jackthepanda as Rosie O'Donnell

This stage will last until everyone has voted (and I've managed to get myself a working computer again).

Remember you can only vote for the one person you wish to kick out of the balloon. The person with the most votes at the end of this stage will be out of the competition.

There will be no discussion of who and why between participants on this thread (although you may give a reason for your choice) - you may, however, discuss your choices on the other thread if you so desire, but participants may not elicit votes, offer bribes, or threaten bodily harm.

Vote!

Last edited by Kali; 03-04-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-04-2008   #10
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

hai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond repute

well first of all, misfit chris dissed my character which was against the rules. and so he should be disqualified.

i vote him for that reason.

all the shit his character brought will make us want to jump out of the balloon. we can throw him and his shit out and that'll take off a huge amount of weight.
Old 03-04-2008   #11
Mr. Definistrate
I'm a magic man

Mr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond repute

the people who are not able to withstand being high and jump out of the balloon of their own accord will only make it better for those who can. I think Rosie is hungry.

Hungry for the ground below.

I vote for Rosie O' Donnell.

"There is, after all, more social justice in a loaf of bread than in schemes for a fairer distribution of wealth. Putting it another way . . . Adam Smith, however unfashionable, can feed more people than Karl Marx can."

Quote:
Little Jimmy: (Tries to pour cereal from box; nothing comes out) "Nothing...for breakfast?"
Announcer: "That's right, little Jimmy! Nihilistic Crunch comes with a little nothing in every box!"
Old 03-04-2008   #12
Zanahoria_Picante

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

I vote Hunter S. Thompson, in part because he seems a perilous character with which to share a balloon basket.

Apologies, "m'dear."

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;

Last edited by Zanahoria_Picante; 03-04-2008 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Uhhh...nothin'.
Old 03-04-2008   #13
notlob
rock star

Location: Some galaxy, away from the idiots that inhabit Earth
notlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to notlob

i say misfitchris... he scares me

Check out my music here:Bandcamp, Soundcloud
notlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #14
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Uhm, pardon me, but shouldn't we all be voting for the character and not the person portraying him? I just thought I'd point that out.

And my vote goes to Rosie O'Donnell as we all know fat people aren't to be trusted.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #15
misfitchris
zer0.

misfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart god
Send a message via AIM to misfitchris

i vote for myself.

Don't you just love it when the end result is greater than the sum of its parts?
misfitchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008   #16
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

Based on argument/persuasion alone, I've got to vote for Rosie.

But I like you, Jasmine.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #17
Kali
groingrabbingly good!

All the votes are in, and the first person to be kicked out of the balloon is Hunter S. Thompson, otherwise known as misfitchris.

Which leaves 6 players and characters:

Mr Definistrate as Sean Connery
Emperor Chaos as Alexander the Great
Jenn and Tonic as William Shatner
Zanahoria Picante as C.S. Lewis
notlob as Slash
jackthepanda as Rosie O'Donnell

In this round players have 200 words to give another argument for staying in the balloon, and a further 100 words to argue against other characters staying in the balloon.

The 100 words must be directed at the character[s] and character[s] alone - you may not target the actual members posting as those characters. You may choose to spend the 100 words on a single character, or spread it out amongst several, it is up to you.

The 100 words may not include rebuttal of what characters have said before - they may only allude to facts and information about the actual character (which I'm sure you can find if you google the name[s]).

I would also like to remind everyone that this thread is for the game and the game alone - any discussion of the game must take place in the other thread.

Any questions, PM me.
Old 03-05-2008   #18
Mr. Definistrate
I'm a magic man

Hey M8's! Connery here at your service. I notice by throwing out the man with all the drugs out of the balloon, that we only have me whiskey left! That is definatly something to look forward to. The final 3 will enjoy it immensly. And, don't forget, my narration is always needed.

Unfortunatly, my friends, my intellect has stumbled upon a problem. As the baloon is falling at a fast rate, there must be far too much weight in it for the hot air to handle!! The only logical conclusion is that someone here is overweight and will kill us all unless we act now!! *looks around*

And that someone is you, Rosie.

Quote:
Old 03-08-2008   #19
Zanahoria_Picante

Now, let's see. (Fiddles through basket, drawing out teacups.) Oh, there we go. Yes. (Pours tea.) Careful, careful. Yes. That will surely do.

My friends, I merely wanted to make our descent a bit more tolerable with these few humble comforts, tea and, yes, a few nice, warm biscuits. I know you will find not spilling your tea a precarious task, but, please, do have a sit, a listen, and a tea and I will endeavor to make my case for survival as best as I am able.

First, some brief, digressional commentary concerning the word "balloon." As an ardent linguist, I am interested in discussing its phonetic structure and colloquial usage. Let's begin by...

(3 hours elapse.)

...For although it was an Englishman who first noted the "negative weight" of hydrogen, it was, indeed, a Frenchman who first utilized heat to ultimately invent the first hot air balloon prototype made of silk.

(Blinks.)

Upon my word! I have digressed! Well, it is just as well, as I feel smartly indefensible, other than to extend an obsequious plea to remain--to state my selfish wish that you will take care to remember my biscui--benevolence. (Smiles nervously.)

Not to point fingers, but I have received a few glowering stares from one Alexander the Great, who seems to harbour some unfavorable violent tendencies, not limited to conquering most of the known ancient world.

While on the topic of strange looks, Sean Connery has not failed to undulate his eyebrows (more than he naturally does) in the direction of Rosie O’Donnell, which makes me wonder if there is not a plot afoot between them.

William Shatner…Slash…remain unusually quiet…which worries me.

Other than that, little to say, other than, “thank you and adieu.”

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

Steven Wright

;

Last edited by Zanahoria_Picante; 03-08-2008 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-08-2008   #20
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

i don't want to play anymore. i vote for myself to be off. i'm too opinionated and will only stir up trouble. so throw me off now before i drive everyone crazy!