Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > Media Room > Music

Music Discuss the latest in music. Talk about your favorite or most hated bands and artists. Music theory, tabs, and your recordings also go here.

Old 12-25-2008   #21
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Favourite Christmas songs?

Just remembered "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer". Still don't know why it's so funny to me, but it is :.)

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." ~~ Cicero

"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food." ~~ Hippocrates

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.
my.dragons.lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008   #22
Kali
groingrabbingly good!

Kali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, and 'When Santa Got Stuck Up the Chimney'!
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008   #23
notlob
rock star

Location: Some galaxy, away from the idiots that inhabit Earth
notlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to notlob

my fave christmas songs have to be:

Christmas Time (Don't Let The Bells End) by The Darkness
Let It Snow
Silent Night
The First Noel

Check out my music here:Bandcamp, Soundcloud
notlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #24
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

Madre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond repute

We've been watching this house for several days now. Looks like lots of work...
http://www.lightsinmotion.com/default2.asp
III.IIVIVIXIIVIVIIIVVIIIIXVIIIXIIIIIIIIVIIIIVVIIIV IIVIIIIIIVIII - Solomon (I Kings 7:23)
Madre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008   #25
oceandream130
Future star of a Zach Braff film!

oceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by pittielynn View Post
My favorite is Carol of the Bells. When it is sung by a good choir, it sound absolutely amazing.
I couldn't agree more! It has such a lovely harmony to it, and honestly, quite an ethereal sound to it - the lyrics and voices just echo from within. So lovely.

Here's a more modern version of it I rather like - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvkp2QY4qEI (The Bird and the Bee)

The Mormon Tabernacle choir and Celtic Woman also do a haunting rendition of it. I rarely hear a version of it that I despise; the song itself is just beautiful. I just decided to give Celtic Woman a chance this week after a couple years of ignoring them, and was pleasantly surprised; their entire Christmas album is lovely - a perfect mixture of Celtic and modern tradition (Christmas pipes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njm1I...ature=related).

So, I tend to get a bit excited about Christmas music. :) I know much more about it than I believe anyone should...I have a lame little tradition of making my mom a Christmas cd every year, and so every Christmas Eve (...around four in the morning when I remember I still need to make her a cd...) I must delve into the depths of the internet to peel back the layers even more to uncover additional songs. It is rather amusing at times. Who knew one can easily find "The Muppets Christmas," Spongebob, Celine Dion, classic songs in foreign languages, etc. It's insane how much there is out there! hehe.

My classic favorite is "Silent Night." I was given this lovely little Christmas book for my birthday when I was young by a very good friend, and it contained the sheet music for Silent Night. I still cherish that little book - it now sits upon my bookshelf alongside my college textbooks, and mocks their dull covers with its lovely one of a towering Christmas tree and old metallic script. Although there were several songs contained within its gold-striped pages, I always found myself staying up late at night to learn the notes and lyrics of Silent Night. Something about the song always mesmerized me, and I longed to capture that music by learning how to sing it and share its majesty with others. Years later when I learned how to play an instrument, I dusted off the cover of the books and played the notes found within it. Now I have the song in German and Irish - all so lovely!

Other than that...I have far too many favorites. I love "O Come, O come Emmanuel," "Angels We Have Heard on High," "Lo a rose 'ere blooming," "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear" and ridiculous ones like "The Christmas tree's on fire" "I want a Hippopotamus for Christmas," etc. (). I have too much fun with Christmas music. Any one else in love with Sufjan Stevens' million Christmas songs? They are such fun! I just found the eighth volume online a few days ago. Love this by him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UGaDcQcFKk. There is something so simplistic yet wondrous about his versions. When his voice projects through the speakers, one can feel an instant and deep connection to him and to what he is singing about. While I love most all Christmas music, his is probably the one which has touched me the most. There is such a hidden somberness in the Christmas songs he himself has composed ("Sister Winter" is incredible - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0AXpufpHug). I love that man.

I end my Christmas music obsession post...now! I blame it all on my December birthday. Yes, yes, indeedly...that must be it...*shifty eyes*
Old 12-28-2008   #26
Brisa
The Missing Linx

Brisa is divineBrisa is divineBrisa is divineBrisa is divineBrisa is divineBrisa is divineBrisa is divineBrisa is divineBrisa is divineBrisa is divine
Send a message via MSN to Brisa Send a message via Skype™ to Brisa

My Top favorite is: Carol of the bells
I use to listen to it as a child and I never knew the name, so when I never heard it played again, I could not find it. Then in grade 8, a teacher played it, and I went to her and asked her the name of it. I swear I have heard every version of the song!

My second Favorite is: Oh come all Ye Faithful
My great grandmother and I, use to sing to the song when she wound up an old musical box inside of an ornament church. It was such a beautiful tune, it was one of the older music boxes, one with the little pins on a barrel and metal keys that "tinged" when they past them. When she passed away, I made sure I had that church and now my family loves it when I sing that song... Im scared Im getting vocal lesson's next year for christmas lol.

EDIT: I'm surprized so many like the song carol of the bells, at least we have one thing in common lol.
Brisa is offline   Reply With Quote