Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > AlmostSmartism > Front Page > Back Page News

Back Page News Not quite front page material.

Old 11-09-2009   #1
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian
20 Years of freedom

It is 20 years ago today, November the 9th, as the iron curtain collapsed. People all over the GDR came to the 'wall' to destroy it and to visit there people in West-Germany. A happy end of a (basically) peaceful revolution, done by the people.

Quote:
Germany celebrates the fall of the Berlin Wall

Tens of thousands celebrated the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall on Monday, as world leaders gathered in the German capital for emotional commemorations of the defining moment in the end of communism in Europe.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel joined former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev on the bridge where many East Germans had their first taste of freedom, as the crumbling East German state finally opened the despised concrete border on November 9, 1989.

Merkel, who grew up in the communist state, Gorbachev and ex-Polish president Lech Walesa passed through what used to be the Bornholmer Strasse border crossing, where euphoric easterners first went to the West that night.

"It is not only a day of celebration for Germans. It is a day of celebration for the whole of Europe," she said.

Earlier Merkel attended a "very moving" memorial service at a church where pro-democracy rallies were held in the weeks before the Wall was opened, and
lamented the enduring scars of the country's postwar division.

"German unity is still incomplete," Merkel told ARD public television, noting how east Germany still lagged behind the west in economic growth, with joblessness nearly twice as high. "We must tackle this problem if we want to achieve equal quality of life."

The chancellor gave her warning before the main ceremonies at the historic Brandenburg Gate with British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, presidents Nicolas
Sarkozy of France and Dmitry Medvedev of Russia and US Secretary of State
Hillary Clinton.

The festivities at the Gate, once on the border between East and West Berlin, will feature an open-air concert and the symbolic toppling of 1,000 giant styrofoam dominoes along two kilometres (1.2 miles) of the Wall's former course.

Gorbachev, who is still a revered figure in Germany, Walesa and dissidents who helped end European communism will also be on hand at the former "death strip" where border guards once had shoot-to-kill orders. At least 136 people who tried to cross it were killed.

Following weeks of protests against the regime, East Germany's authorities suddenly allowed people to travel to the West that autumn evening. After 28 years as prisoners in their own country, stunned East Germans streamed to checkpoints and rushed past bewildered guards, many falling tearfully into the arms of West Germans on the other side.

[..]
[Full article]
[Source: The Local]

Other interesting articles:
[Walking the Berlin Wall then and now]
[‘A panicked border guard using his gun was our biggest worry’]
[‘The way it went for us in 1989 is not the way it always goes’]
[A day in the life of East Germany]
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009   #2
poopy
The ?mægå Mån

poopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to poopy
Re: 20 Years of freedom

reagan smash!
BEWARE: When eating snacks remember that the fruit roll-up factory feels the need to endanger our lives with a potentially suffocatingly thin transluscent plastic. I am outraged and currently on my way out the door to start a petition for a boycott of any and all fruit roll-up snacks. Please send me a message or post your name, telephone number, and address, and some one will be by to get your signature. Thank You
poopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009   #3
Jabedin
Aladdin's brother

Jabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond reputeJabedin has a reputation beyond repute

It's nice to look at how the culture of my ancestors are succeeding today

In your heart, pumping your blood
Jabedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009   #4
Hamana
jaaa, klar.

Hamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Hamana Send a message via Yahoo to Hamana

This makes me feel old, I can't believe its been 20 years.

Hamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009   #5
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

I feel old. I actually remember the news about the wall.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009   #6
sa'alyg
Bad Ass Jesus

sa'alyg has a reputation beyond reputesa'alyg has a reputation beyond reputesa'alyg has a reputation beyond reputesa'alyg has a reputation beyond reputesa'alyg has a reputation beyond reputesa'alyg has a reputation beyond reputesa'alyg has a reputation beyond reputesa'alyg has a reputation beyond reputesa'alyg has a reputation beyond reputesa'alyg has a reputation beyond reputesa'alyg has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to sa'alyg

I feel young. Because I am.

Click above to visit The Easytoon Place
sa'alyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009   #7
Bamcubz
WIFE - MOM - ME

Bamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond repute

I never thought I would see this happen in my life time and here is 20 years later, still amazing.

At the beach, life passes differently. Time does not pass by the hours but by the moments and moods.
Bamcubz is offline   Reply With Quote