Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Science

Old 08-11-2009   #1
GoddessDivine
I move the stars for no one.

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine
Meteor shower

Tonight the Perseid meteor shower should begin around midnight. Anyone else going to watch for a while? This will be Kirk's first meteor shower and I have only seen a handful myself, so it should be cool. Here is the article, says there should be around 80 meteors in an hour, but the light of the full moon may interfer with viewing.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...r-tonight.html
-Obi Wan

GoddessDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009   #2
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Thoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Meteor shower

I was going to watch that, but it rained all night. Fuck Portland.
Old 08-12-2009   #3
GoddessDivine

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine

Should be visible again tonight I read. It was foggy around here, so maybe tonight will be better.
-Obi Wan

Old 08-12-2009   #4
Sytrohs87
goliath

Sytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Sytrohs87 Send a message via MSN to Sytrohs87

I'll be jamming with my buddy Matt on his front porch.. maybe we'll break from the music and stare upward for a while, but I have a feeling the streetlights are going to fuck up any chance we have of seeing them. Perhaps tomorrow.. I saw a few last night though

-The Mars Volta

"I consider the positions of kings and rulers as that of dust motes. I observe treasures of gold and gems as so many bricks and pebbles. I look upon the finest silken robes as tattered rags. I see myriad worlds of the universe as small seeds of fruit, and the greatest lake in India as a drop of oil on my foot. I perceive the teachings of the world to be the illusion of magicians. I discern the highest conception of emancipation as a golden brocade in a dream, and view the holy path of the illuminated ones as flowers appearing in one's eyes. I see meditation as a pillar of a mountain, Nirvana as a nightmare of daytime. I look upon the judgment of right and wrong as the serpentine dance of a dragon, and the rise and fall of beliefs as but traces left by the four seasons."

-Siddhartha Gautama
Sytrohs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009   #5
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Out here on Edisto Island it was too cloudy during the height of the meteor shower.

Earlier in the night, I was out on the dock looking up at Perseus. I saw one meteor in about 15 minutes and decided that I should wait until somewhere in the middle of the night. Then the clouds came in.

I even brought my telescope out here, recently recalibrated, and was hoping to get some telescopery in... but alas, it has been cloudy and raining most of the time.

I did catch a bunch of fish today though, on the bright side. Three spot-tail bass, one flounder and a shark. Everything was thrown back except for the flounder which has been cleaned and frozen and ready for consumption within the next few days. Yum, yum! I used live, freshly caught shrimp for the most part. The shark went after a mullet that got caught in the casting net. I thought that using a larger bait fish and casting in deeper waters would allow me to land something large and edible and all I got was this stupid shark.

I also saw some dolphins. They scared the shit out of me by blowing air about six feet from the floating dock. I didn't know they were there. Then I watched them as they corralled some fish and feasted.

Good times.

(Though I probably should have started my own thread for all this.)
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009   #6
GoddessDivine

^Why didnt you invite me and Kirk. We want to fish to you know!!!!!!!!!!!
-Obi Wan

Old 08-13-2009   #7
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

ablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to ablethevoice Send a message via Yahoo to ablethevoice

Quote:
Originally Said by MudPuppet View Post
I was going to watch that, but it rained all night. Fuck Portland.
Clouded up nicely yesterday afternoon and stayed that way alllllllllllll night, so fuck Florida, too.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." —Albert Einstein

“It's fortunate for governments that people don't think." - Adolph Hitler

Sturkis akidit ("shit happens") - Latin

Bent Ears Audio Laboratories - Better Music Through Chemistry

MUSIC IS LIKE CANDY. IT'S ONLY GOOD WHEN YOU GET RID OF ALL THE RAPPERS.
))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
ablethevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009   #8
Sytrohs87
goliath

Sytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond repute

I think I could see a star through the streetlights. Fuck Richmond, and while we're at it, fuck everywhere in general!

-The Mars Volta

"I consider the positions of kings and rulers as that of dust motes. I observe treasures of gold and gems as so many bricks and pebbles. I look upon the finest silken robes as tattered rags. I see myriad worlds of the universe as small seeds of fruit, and the greatest lake in India as a drop of oil on my foot. I perceive the teachings of the world to be the illusion of magicians. I discern the highest conception of emancipation as a golden brocade in a dream, and view the holy path of the illuminated ones as flowers appearing in one's eyes. I see meditation as a pillar of a mountain, Nirvana as a nightmare of daytime. I look upon the judgment of right and wrong as the serpentine dance of a dragon, and the rise and fall of beliefs as but traces left by the four seasons."

-Siddhartha Gautama
Old 08-13-2009   #9
GoddessDivine

yeah i saw absolutely nothing over here. Well there is always December...
-Obi Wan

Old 08-13-2009   #10
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

ablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Sytrohs87 View Post
I think I could see a star through the streetlights. Fuck Richmond, and while we're at it, fuck everywhere in general!
NO! There is one region of this overly-humid planet which still has a climate which doesn't require gills and where you can see the stars like you are standing on the Moon: The Desert Southwest.

And for what it's worth: that "star" you saw was very probably Jupiter. It is the brightest thing (besides the Moon) in the night sky right now.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." —Albert Einstein

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
Old 08-14-2009   #11
Sytrohs87
goliath

I was curious about that.. I actually remarked a couple weeks back that I almost never see a star that bright and wondered what made it appear so crazily luminous.

-The Mars Volta

-Siddhartha Gautama
Old 08-14-2009   #12
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

Quote:
I was curious about that.. I actually remarked a couple weeks back that I almost never see a star that bright and wondered what made it appear so crazily luminous.
Yep. Jupiter: King of the planets. Rises about a half-hour after sunset and sets with the sunrise. That puts the earth, Sun and Jupiter in a straight line ("in opposition") like the moon's position during Full phase.

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
Old 08-14-2009   #13
Sytrohs87
goliath

I was actually just having a conversation about Jupiter with my buddy Matt a couple days ago.. how it's like Earth's big brother. Three out of four times it'll pull asteroids away from the inner solar system, but occasionally it'll indirectly knock a few at us... like your brother will protect you from some fights, but every now and then he'll haul off and slug you one.

-The Mars Volta

-Siddhartha Gautama
Old 08-14-2009   #14
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

Some astronomers in moments of whimsy refer to Jupiter the "cosmic Hoover" (yeah, like the vacuum cleaner) because Jupiter's massive 2.5 G gravity field does such a good job of sweeping the solar system clean. But yes, every once in a while, instead of Jupiter capturing some small body or another and temporarily (on the scale of the universe) having another small moon in some preposterous orbit, the body will be slingshot towards the inner solar system. As Fred Hoyle (at least I think it was him... I've been awake for 34 hours - long story; please don't ask) once said: "Comets and meteors don't fall towards the Earth; they fall towards the Sun; sometimes the Earth just gets in the way."
Its all a crapshoot. The dinosaurs rolled "snake eyes".

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
Old 08-14-2009   #15
Sytrohs87
goliath

Just think, if the solar system had formed without an asteroid belt, giant scaly lizards would still potentially rule the planet, and we mammals would still be confined to underground boroughs munching on roots. Weird thoughts.

-The Mars Volta

-Siddhartha Gautama
Old 08-14-2009   #16
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

I don't know if you ever watched Star Trek: Voyager but there was an episode titled Distant Origins . The program started with a reptilian-looking alien dude facing a... court or tribunal of some sort. He was being treated the same way as Galileo was back when he was brought up before Church elders for stating that the Sun was at the center of the solar system. In this case, the alien was being ordered to recant his theory of "Distant Origin" which stated that his race was not native to the planet they currently occupied.

Turns out that the aliens had, in fact, evolved on EARTH from a saurian race which lived even before the T Rex and the other "classic" critters we're all familiar with and had taken to the stars to avoid being rendered extinct by massive geological upheavals.

That's a pretty intense concept, too. With all the incredible stretches of time the Earth has been here before us naked ape Humans, it's completely within the realm of possibility that Earth bore more than one sentient race. Whether they achieved star travel or were eliminated by violent climate changes or volcanism - or meteor impact - is another issue entirely.

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
Old 08-15-2009   #17
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Quote:
Just think, if the solar system had formed without an asteroid belt,
Jupiter insured that that wasn't possible.

Although, until Ceres and other asteroids were discovered, it was believed there was a planet orbiting where the main asteroid belt is currently. Ceres was considered a planet for some 60 years. Now, it has gone the way of the Pluto.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote