Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > Media Room > Art & Photography

Art & Photography Right-brained and shutterbug hangout. Post and discuss art and photographs, self-created or otherwise. Also show off your digital graphics, wallpapers, or desktops.

Old 11-14-2008   #61
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Christian's photography and stuff

What kind of camera do you have? The clarity close up and far away is wonderful.

I especially like the closeups, sunlight falling on the angel on the Victory Column, Frederick the Great and views of autumn. The Tiergarden must be beautiful all year.

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." ~~ Cicero

"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food." ~~ Hippocrates

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.
my.dragons.lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008   #62
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

You need to stop; those photos are disgustingly good.

And some of the architecture there is just jaw-dropping. My jaw literally dropped upon seeing this: http://www.almostsmart.com/forums/at...achmentid=6607

Pretty epic.

And yeah, you should have taken a picture of that guy; creepy stuff! Taking a slightly different route is good advice, as well. Eee.

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008   #63
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian

I am using the Olympus C-725 Ultra Zoom, that has 3.0 megapixel and 8x optical zoom. Maybe i will buy myselfe a new on to Christmas, the one Foxy uses.

It wasn't a good idea to take a photo of him, because he was maybe 10 steps behind me and i wnated to survive the day . I was more interested to get out of that area of the park (it was the upper western circle i walked in the park on the map, left of the Coloumn) into a more public area (back to the street). After that, i did a bigger circle around the Coloumn and went a different way back.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008   #64
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Zanahoria_Picante View Post
You need to stop; those photos are disgustingly good.

And some of the architecture there is just jaw-dropping. My jaw literally dropped upon seeing this: http://www.almostsmart.com/forums/at...achmentid=6607

Pretty epic.

And yeah, you should have taken a picture of that guy; creepy stuff! Taking a slightly different route is good advice, as well. Eee.
I'm not aware of anything that appears so authentically gothic in the Chicago area. Perhaps cstoll is.

And the Brandenburg Gate is quite impressive.

Really all of those pictures bring to my mind the seriousness and brevity of life along with its fables and fairytales. If Merlin had lived in his own castle, the entrance would have looked similar to that of the library. There would have been magicals and the building would breath with a life of its own, subject only to Merlin.

And so another imaginary tangent flits away :.)

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.
Old 11-15-2008   #65
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Chicago is a cool city, would like to see photos of it. You have many interesting things in there, like the watertower in the Michigan Street or a few theaters/churches (esp. the Chicago Theatre!)..

..or cool skyscrapers like the 500th Michigan building, the John Hancock Center, Sears Tower and so on..

I even would so like to see what had become out of your old airport. I also would like to see the big fontain that had been shown in Married with Children too^^ ..or the Loop, the L.. could list so many things here..

I ever wanted to visit/see Chicago since i played one old racing game called 'Midtown Madness 1". To be honest: I played that game so long and often that i can say i might be able to find my way through Chicago downtown to a few atractions without a map and without beeing there before. At last i was able to find everything on google earth as i checked Chicago with it the first time in a realy short time ^^

Well.. On the fly back to germany i had the chance to see it at least from above:
chicago_med.JPG
To bad i did it with my fathers and not with my cam.

I also liked your Tornado-sirenes shown in that video, gave me some goosebumbs^^ ..i like the one at second 14+

(Hey.. that is a 'stuff'-part ^_^)
Old 11-15-2008   #66
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

When I'm back on two feet, I'll do what I can to get you some good pictures :.) Because of the 1871 fire most of Chicago was rebuilt in a hurry. But there are some really cool places remaining in the surrounding area. Just takes a lot of driving around.

Old 11-15-2008   #67
Christian
Super Moderator

That would be nice, but you don't have to drive around for just taking a few photos
Old 11-15-2008   #68
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

Ha! I've been wanting to do exactly that since first moving here. Was working too much or too ill. Now I have plenty of time and I'm well.

The Chicago area is mostly circa 1800s and lacks tenure in the world of refined architecture. But, there are some incredibly interesting buildings I've noticed when we're out and about.

Somewhere I have pictures of Chicago's Water Tower, Sears Tower and other landmarks that were taken during VVAW marches or at voting/election events. No idea where they landed in our garage though, which makes a drive less time consuming. One can never have too many pictures :.)

For a long time I've wanted to get pictures of a stunning Ukrainian church on Cumberland Avenue barely inside the north metro area of Chicago, near where I used to work. St. Joseph's was built in the 70s, has multiple domes and spectacular colors. A real sight for sore eyes in the midst of overwhelmingly dull pavement and strip shops.

Farms as well. There is a funny farm (possibly for real ) near Antioch, IL displaying several wooden, painted Holstein cows (the black and white spotted ones) attached to its fence. Sassy cow tails swish facing the road and their heads are painted to turn and peer at passersby. Whoever put that up must have a fantastic sense of humor. We've passed it a few times wishing we had a camera with us.

Mike is content to look and go, not one to stop. When I go alone I'll be able to tromp through woods or knock on doors and bother people with my curiosities

I really miss the pictures taken in Charleston, S.C. when I was a kid. My dad had lent me his 35mm when I went on field trips. I used to have pictures of The Battery, real cannons that once protected Charleston's harbor, and the dungeons before they were changed. My dad was an interim Crew Chief on the first C5A cargo plane put on public display so he conducted a tour for one of our field trips and we were allowed to take pictures outside and certain areas inside. In elementary school it's easy to be more impressed by a mobile warehouse like that, rather than consider it's ultimate purpose which seemed rather harmless if not thought about much.

Mmm. Apologies for rambling, but it could've been much worse if I'd gotten into pet and baby pictures

Last edited by my.dragons.lady; 11-16-2008 at 01:54 AM. Reason: added link for St. Joseph's, typos
Old 11-15-2008   #69
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

Here's a picture of St. Joseph's, one of the churches I want to get good photos of. When the sun falls on it a certain way, it shimmers indescribably and stands out all the more for being enveloped by substantially dim surroundings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 250px-Stjoesfulloutside.jpg (15.5 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by my.dragons.lady; 11-16-2008 at 01:51 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-15-2008   #70
Christian
Super Moderator

Hehe.. then i'm looking forward to your photography-thread with lots of Chicago photos.

Last edited by Christian; 11-15-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-16-2008   #71
Christian
Super Moderator

As I looked out of the window today (16th of November) at around 3PM, I spoted the sun shining through many clouds. So i decided to grab my stuff and go on a little hike out of Berlin, i'm living close to the city boundary, to some open land and fields. It was a bit windy and cold and the sun was going down soon. I walked the whole way to where i wanted to go an back becasue it wasn't very far away from my dorm (~5+ Miles both ways).

1 sun1_med.JPG1 sun2_med.JPG1 sun3_med.JPG1 sun4_med.JPG1 sun5_med.JPG

I hiked along an old stripe, where parts of the Berlin-Wall had been on years ago, out to the fields and open landscape. The stripe was covered by japanese cherry trees, need to go there again in spring. I left Berlin behind me and reached Brandenburg and had finaly some open landscape..

2 sky1_med.JPG2 sky2_med.JPG2 sky3_med.JPG
The clouds made the sky kinda atmospheric.

3 corn1_med.JPG3 corn2_med.JPG3 corn3_med.JPG
'Hard times will come'

4 field1_med.JPG4 field2_med.JPG4 field3_med.JPG
Field.

I continued walking over the field and met a guy who nearly stepped over a skull (right next to me). I thought this might be something for Foxy, so I took dozen and dozen of photos of it. I don't know why that horseshoe leaned on that skull.. there was still hair and skin left on it.

5 skull1_med.JPG5 skull2_med.JPG5 skull3_med.JPG5 skull4_med.JPG5 skull5_med.JPG
(Sorry Foxy, I left the skull over there )

I decided to stay there and wait for the sunset in the hope of a nice sunset. While waiting I asked myselfe it it will bring good luck if I take that horseshoe with my, but as soon as I pocketed it heavy clouds came up and it got stormy. It got darker and darker very fast and the clouds got thicker every minute and soon it started to rain. So i waited there, in the middle of the field, surrounded by storm and rain. There was a little high seat next to me but it had been locked, to bad. I waited about 30minutes in the hope the clouds would loosen a bit but havn't had luck, so i decided to place that horseshoe back so it may bring another one luck (..at least i got some +charma from that^^ was so cold while waiting).

Not long ago after i placed it back the rain stoped and the clouds moved away, but it was a bit to late for good photos.

6 thistle_med.JPG
while waiting i took that photo of a thistle in the dark.

6 fire_med.JPG
On the way back to the dorm i met someone making a larger fire on his lot, to bad wind touched me while taking it, had been my last photo left on my cam.

Last edited by foxyphoenix; 11-16-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-16-2008   #72
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

Is the 5th picture of the skull the same skull as the first 3? The 5th looks like antlers, which I don't see on the others. The horseshoe is an interesting factor.

The corn fields like like they're almost ready to be turned. Has the ground frozen there yet?

Of the trees and clouds, I like the middle of each set best. That 3rd tree and the ground seem to be hugging the sun good night together :.)

Really like that thistle against the evening sky. Very dramatic. Of course I'm biased toward thistle and growing three kinds in my weed garden :.)

Old 11-16-2008   #73
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Christian View Post

I continued walking over the field and met a guy who nearly stepped over a skull (right next to me). I thought this might be something for Foxy, so I took dozen and dozen of photos of it. I don't know why that horseshoe leaned on that skull.. there was still hair and skin left on it.

Attachment 6657Attachment 6658Attachment 6659Attachment 6660Attachment 6661
(Sorry Foxy, I left the skull over there )
Damn. It's still wicked cool, though. ^_^
Plus, I think my parents are weirded out by my collection of bones.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #74
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

^ My mom freaked when she found me trying to teach myself taxidermy. I had found a dead black bird in our back yard and was trying to do things step-by-step from a book on my dad's work table in the garage. She got entirely hysterical and made me clean up outside then insisted I take another shower inside because birds have parasites and because it stunk because it was dead and I was pulling things out of it...

Still makes me laugh out loud to think about that But it was just as well because after she told my dad, he looked at some of my books and explained why what I was doing wouldn't work without the right tools and materials. And those weren't likely to be made available.

Maybe Christian could inexpensively mail that skull and horseshoe to your college address. Could be a nice conversation piece for a dorm room :.) On the other hand, dorm rooms get crowded very fast, so I hear.

Old 11-16-2008   #75
foxyphoenix

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by my.dragons.lady View Post
^ My mom freaked when she found me trying to teach myself taxidermy. I had found a dead black bird in our back yard and was trying to do things step-by-step from a book on my dad's work table in the garage. She got entirely hysterical and made me clean up outside then insisted I take another shower inside because birds have parasites and because it stunk because it was dead and I was pulling things out of it...

Still makes me laugh out loud to think about that But it was just as well because after she told my dad, he looked at some of my books and explained why what I was doing wouldn't work without the right tools and materials. And those weren't likely to be made available.

Maybe Christian could inexpensively mail that skull and horseshoe to your college address. Could be a nice conversation piece for a dorm room :.) On the other hand, dorm rooms get crowded very fast, so I hear.
My dorm is really big: I have room enough for a couch, a full-sized Papasan chair, a TV (roommate's), PS2 (roommate's), and a rabbit cage, not to mention the 5 plants that adorn my desk. I also have a patio big enough for a hammock and my neighbors had a hot tub until campus life told them to remove it.

All of my bones (a beaver skull, a coyote skull, a rabbit spine, a horse tooth, deer antlers, and a raccoon hand) are at home, though.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Old 11-16-2008   #76
Christian
Super Moderator

^ I remember the rabit bones as we where hiking throught the creek in Castlewood Canyon. ^^
My Dorm room is kinda small, less then 130feet˛ (if i calculated right) and its filled with stuff.

Quote:
Originally Said by foxyphoenix View Post
Damn. It's still wicked cool, though. ^_^
Plus, I think my parents are weirded out by my collection of bones.
Hehe, would have got a few problems to get that skull into the states so, now its laying there for the next one who may collects those things, but i could try to ship it to you (Denver or LA) if you want and if i find that skull again.

All the 5 photos are from the same, the 5th is just from the side with flash (was a bit too dark already). All the others i took from the site didn't looked that interesting like those ones.

You can see the antlers on the other pictures too, but they doesn't apear as 'big' as they do in the last one.

Through the whole hike i had this in my ears, what totaly matched to the atmosphere the weather made and the situation as i found the skull. had been a realy funny and a bit mysterious ^_^.
Old 11-16-2008   #77
foxyphoenix

Quote:
Originally Said by Christian View Post
^ I remember the rabit bones as we where hiking throught the creek in Castlewood Canyon. ^^
My Dorm room is kinda small, less then 130feet˛ (if i calculated right) and its filled with stuff.

Hehe, would have got a few problems to get that skull into the states so, now its laying there for the next one who may collects those things, but i could try to ship it to you (Denver or LA) if you want and if i find that skull again.

All the 5 photos are from the same, the 5th is just from the side with flash (was a bit too dark already). All the others i took from the site didn't looked that interesting like those ones.

You can see the antlers on the other pictures too, but they doesn't apear as 'big' as they do in the last one.

Through the whole hike i had this in my ears, what totaly matched to the atmosphere the weather made and the situation as i found the skull. had been a realy funny and a bit mysterious ^_^.
Wow, my dorm is 278 square feet, not counting the 270 square foot common room or the 300 squre foot patio...
I'm spoiled.

-
Carl Sagan

-
Charles Darwin

-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Old 11-16-2008   #78
Christian
Super Moderator

Hehe, lucky you ^^
Old 11-16-2008   #79
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

*lol* That would be funny! Sorta like listening to The Candy Man while watching Psycho.

Old 11-17-2008   #80
Christian
Super Moderator

It was Monday, the 17th of November, and so i went into the 'Tiergarden' again before my classes started. It had been a bit cold again, but therefore realy sunny.

1 sun1_med.JPG1 heron1_med.JPG
Before i went to the same place i took photos from every time i had been there i spoted that heron siting on a pole.

1 kombi2.JPG1 park1_med.JPG
I went to that place and took another photo of it, to add it into my little timeline, i wonder how long i'll keep doing it ^_^

I was in a little hurry, so i went back, but not without taking photos of 'my' swan friends:

2 swan1_med.JPG2 swan2_med.JPGswan5_med.JPG2 swan3_med.JPG2 swan4_med.JPG

As i went back and passed the bridge i took the very first photo from a squirrel ran out of a bush of the other side of it and passed me, nearly running through my legs. It ran up a tree and posed for me.

3 squirrel1_med.JPG3 squirrel2_med.JPG
To bad he positioniert himselfe directly infront of the sun, but i love that little guy.

I continued my why and just a short time later a second one ran up a tree waiting for me to take photos from him. I nealry came to late to my classes ^_^

3 squirrel3_med.JPG
*om nom nom* (..Nut Eating Animal! =D)

My classes had been over so i went back home. On the way i took a photo of that church again, now without leafs on the tree infront of it.
4 church_med.JPG

The sun was about to go down so i went directly from my bus to the bridge on 'my' channel to take a few photos.

4 sun2_med.JPG4 sun3_med.JPG
'The X marks the treasure'

As i walked the few meters back to my dorm something huge was flying and taking a seat on a conifer on the other side of the street..

4 heron2_med.JPG
..I wonder if he was the same heron from earlier that day and followed me.

Last edited by foxyphoenix; 11-18-2008 at 04:10 AM.

Tags
christian, photography