Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > Media Room > Art & Photography

Art & Photography Right-brained and shutterbug hangout. Post and discuss art and photographs, self-created or otherwise. Also show off your digital graphics, wallpapers, or desktops.

Old 10-21-2008   #21
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian
Re: Christian's photography and stuff

Ohhh, yes, i so can't wait for the canyon.. *moves nervous on his chair*

Yes, i like Bob Ross. He has a very cool and relaxing way how he talks and explain things. I liked to watch him very late at night.. "but that keeps our little secret"

That on the picture is a pond covered with 'duckweed'

Thank you all for the nice respond. Will take more, I'm having my camera allways with me.

Last edited by Christian; 10-21-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008   #22
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
I had way too much time after my class yesterday, and as i where in the south-eastern part of Berlin anyways, i visited a local park/forrest and later another part of Berlin that was close bye. To bad it was grey, rainy and a bit cold.

On the way to the 'Park' i walked through older eastern destrict of Berlin

church_med.JPGmarked_med.JPGtram_med.JPG
The Tower of the church caught my attention from far away and i went to there. On the way i spoted that little market.
The third photo shows a tramway you can mostly find in east-Berlin. (Public transportation is cool). That whole area still looked like GDR-times, and the grey sky so matched to it.. i had a great 'back to the roods'-time.

tree1_med.JPG
autumn succeded.

I entered the 'park'. I was more a normal forrest with a few ways through it, surrounded by the city.

woodpecker1_med.JPGwoodpecker2_med.JPGwoodpecker3_med.JPG
After walking a bit i heard knocking noises and i checked where they came from. So i found that little guy: A woodpecker

trench1_med.JPGtrench2_med.JPG
As i walked a bit off the trails i discovered that a strange line. It is deeper then the ambient area and followed a geometric zig-zag structure. It has been a trench as part of the defedning of Berlin in the second world war against russian troops. There also had been many shell crater around. You can see one infront of the left tree. All still noticable after 63 years..

Well.. back to something more nice..

blob2_med.JPGblob1_med.JPG
The whole day was cold and wet, but it made a good atmosphere..

After walking a longer time now, all alone and freezing, Anna-Marie and our hikes came in my mind and thoughts.. and i felt myselfe forced to find something important out..

smell_small.JPG
..Foxy, ours smell like blueberrys too! ^^

tree2_med.JPG
That tree looked like a dorm for Woodpeckers

I like to be off the trail... even if i needed to use my compass to find the right way back. Therefore i was able to take those photos:

fungus1_med.JPGfungus2_med.JPG
Funguses on a dead tree.

fungus3_med.JPGfungus4_med.JPG
And other ones.

I started to freeze and i already had been everywhere in that forrest, so i gone back, got myselfe soem cheap chinese food and went to my next target..

bridge1_med.JPG
One of those trains, i need to travel with if i want to go somewhere through Berlin. We have lots of them (..did i said that public transportation is cool?)
Its called 'S-Bahn' and means translates something like 'Suburban' or 'communter' -train

art_med.JPG
I needed to underpass the bridge to get to that thingy.. the "Molecule Man"
You can see the "Fernsehturm" (TV-Tower/Radio-Tower) in the background-

brigde2_med.JPG
One of famous bridges of Berlin, the "Oberbaumbrücke", with a subway (yes, subway) passing it. The "Rote Rathaus" (Red Cityhall) in the background and the green roof of the "Berlin Dome" on teh very left.

My time was up and i needed to go to my weakly service in the Federal Agency for Technical Relief (THW).

car1_med.JPGcar2_med.JPG
There i took these photos showing the car i'm driving on later that evening. We needed to make some light to build something and check our equipment for saturday, where we do 'stand-bye-duty' for missions, the firefighters doesn't want or can't do. Maybe i can get a few photos of us in action there.

Last edited by foxyphoenix; 10-23-2008 at 06:42 PM. Reason: User-requested
Old 10-26-2008   #23
Christian
Super Moderator

And a few more from my last little hike on friday after i finished my classes.

I payed that little park next to an university-clinic a visit that i am passing
every day for 4 years now, 10min with bus from my dorm. It wasn't that cold and kinda sunny, not like my last hike, so it was fun, even if the park was realy small. The park consist of 2 trails, a playground for kids and a larger preserve area that you arn't allowed to enter (..funny to find such an area, that looked realy wild and was guarded by large fenced in a big city).

oldnew_med.JPG
On the way down from my faculty: "Old vs. New" ..No need to say that 'old' has won, because the newer tall building is now closed becuase of Asbestos.

tree1_med.JPGtree2_med.JPG
"Happy little trees" again

squirrel1_med.JPGsquirrel2_med.JPG
Om nom nom..
As i was taking i heard some noise very close to me, and as i turned around it
snarled at me. To bad the squirrel was to fast for me as it was realy close, so i only was able to take a few photos as it was high above me.

church1_med.JPG
I like that church. They also splited the street around it so the church is on some kind of isle.

heli1_med.JPGheli2_med.JPG
I followed the trail down to the channel and went on a bridge, as this chopper, a rescue-chopper, landed on the clinic.

channel1_med.JPG
The channel, pointing south into the heat and power station i took so many photos from before.

church2_med.JPGchurch3_med.JPG
I 'swam' through the traffic to the 'isle' with the church on it.

church4_med.JPG
There also was a very old church right next to it, very cute i think and made out of cobbles.

baron1_med.JPG
Just a few minutes later, the Red-Baron flew over me

edit: Thank you for merging foxy

Last edited by Christian; 10-26-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-27-2008   #24
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute

Christian, do you keep a catalog of your photos?

I miss watching Bob Ross. Currently don't get him here.

The picture of the channel toward the south is outstanding. I really enjoy the sun and its reflection from the surface of the water.

And the outline of the woodpecker is very cool.

The cathedrals are stunning.

Really makes me wish I hadn't missed the chance to see Germany so long ago :.)

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." ~~ Cicero

"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food." ~~ Hippocrates

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.
my.dragons.lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #25
Christian
Super Moderator

I have all my photos on my harddrive sorted by month and year and, if i have too much, sorted by date or event.

I'm happy that the channel-photo turned out well, wasn't able to see anything while taking it.

I wanted to redo the city-hike like i did last monday but i got a bit ill over the weekend so i'm taking this day off in hope that i'll be fit as soon as possible again.

..to bad its grey and rainy, maybe i had been able to make a few good autumn/halloween photos. Trees with a few yellow leafs left and grey sky in background are cool.

Last edited by Christian; 10-27-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-27-2008   #26
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute

^ I bet grey and rainy can make for dramatic black and white photos, but I wonder what so much moisture in the air does to a camera.

It's a great idea to keep photos organized as you are.

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.
Old 10-27-2008   #27
Christian
Super Moderator

It shouldn't harm my camera unless it rains like a waterfall, it should resist a few raindrops. I also used that cam while heavy rain after a little (F0) Tornado we had in my native city ~5 years ago.

The organisation is good, but i need to remember the dates if i'm looking for a special photo ..or i have to check many sub-folders ^^
Old 10-30-2008   #28
Christian
Super Moderator

I catched a cold on the little hike through the rainy forrest last week but i felt better during my classes yesterday, so i payed that forrest a second visit. It wasn't that cold like the last time, but therefore it was realy rainy what didn't made my any cold better.

fungus1_med.JPGfungus2_med.JPG
Funguses on birch trees.

blob1_med.JPGblob2_med.JPGblob3_med.JPG
And a few macro photos.

To bad i wasn't able to find the woodpecker again, maybe it was to rainy for him.

mushroom1_med.JPGmushroom2_med.JPGmushroom3_med.JPG
And a few more. I like the last two, would be cool if they could glow in the dark^^

I started to feel bad again so i went back home.
On the way home u took these photos of the Airport Tempelhof, It is one of the oldest airports and the first commercial airport in/of the world.

temp1_med.JPGtemp2_med.JPG
I made those photos out of the 'S-Bahn' (suburban train), so sorry for the bad quality.

Tempelhof was used for the 'Berlin Airlift' to keep Berlin alive and will be closed tomorrow (31.10.08) forever. It is still one of the biggest buildings of the world. Noone knows how many floors that building has, everything under the 7th floor (underground) is flooded, noone knows what is still in there.. and noone will ever know becasue it is kinda impossible to pump it dry.

Will try to make better photos of it some time later.

Last edited by foxyphoenix; 11-02-2008 at 02:28 PM. Reason: user-Requested
Old 10-30-2008   #29
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

Interesting photos.

Why is it unknown how many floors are in the Tempelhof building? Reminds me of stories about underground buildings and tunnels in England.

The first picture of the S-Bahn looks like a picture of Illinois plains. Why is there barbed wire at the top of the fence?

Old 10-30-2008   #30
Christian
Super Moderator

The Airport and runways are behind the fence.

I am not sure why it is unknown, I think the building plans are lost. They had been able to pump it dry down to the 9th floor, but the water came back in. The Building is connected with one of Berlins channels and they also say there is a tunnel to one of the western lakes too. They also say that they have found parts of the 'Me 262' plane (first Jet plane) and many weapons in it.
Old 10-30-2008   #31
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

Just found some interesting history on the ME 262. To me anyway :.) I didn't realize it was the first jet.

Old 11-01-2008   #32
Christian
Super Moderator

Yesterday was Halloween and i made a little horror-movie event with my best friend. After it, at was around midnight, i went back home and decided to walk a longer part through the night. The Sky was absolutly clear, stars where be able to be seen and it got cold.

I tryed to make a few photos, so here my personel spoky version:

ring_med.JPG
At the flat of my friend, checking if the kids left us alone again

leafs1_med.JPGleafs2_med.JPGleafs3_med.JPG
The road i went home on, a tree and many, many leafs.

tree2_med.JPGtree1_med.JPGtree3_med.JPGtree4_med.JPG
Happy little spooky trees.

Haloween_med.JPG
I made this one maybe 5 years ago, Hamana and my mom made the pumpkin as far as i remember.

Last edited by foxyphoenix; 11-02-2008 at 02:29 PM. Reason: User-Requested
Old 11-01-2008   #33
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

Christian, all of your photography is very, very good indeed. You have really good focus, as far as composition and spotting really interesting material. I especially enjoy your "detailed" shots of small, generally unnoticed things (like the water drops on the pine needles (?) in one of your recent batches). I take off my hat to you, sir.

*Takes off hat to you, sir*

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008   #34
Christian
Super Moderator

awww, thanks *geting red* ^^
Old 11-03-2008   #35
Christian
Super Moderator

Today we had a very grey and foggy day here in Berlin (and, as far as i can trust my maps, half europe too) and 'cause i love grey and foggy autumn days i felt myselfe forced to do a larger hike again. Unfortunatly a class i'm taking part at got shifted to monday so i wasn't able to go on that city hike through 'Tiergarten' like i did two mondays ago. I decided to go ~30min earlier to my very first class (that is right infront of the one who got shifted and i need to travel back through half Berlin to my normal University,) and run two a few spots i took photos at 2 weeks ago:

park1_med.JPG
park2_med.JPGpark3_med.JPGpark4_med.JPG
The last one is my favorite.

Back at my university after i finished my class i had a bit too much time before we finaly went all home:

met3_med.JPGmet4_med.JPG
'Villa Anna'

met1_med.JPGmet2_med.JPG
And our beloved 'Weather-Tower'

On the way down the hill to the bus:

tower1_med.JPGtower2_med.JPG
Tower in the fog

I decided to go in that little park close to my dorm (~10min with bus) agin and walk the way back home. I needed for that little hike 2hours.. I guess i took a few photos too much .. To bad i got dark so fast so i realy had a hard time to avoid bleared photos. I hate that i only have automatic focus and exposure time.. a steady hand is a different matter^^

trees_med.JPG
Trees.

barbwire_med.JPG
Nature won again

I followed the channel back to my dorm:

ship1_med.JPG
Ship in the channel

ship2_med.JPG
Swim ducks, swim!!

sign0_med.JPG
As i followed the biking/jogging-path next to the channel a sign attracted my attention.. But i realy had a hard time to take focused photos from now on..

sign2_med.JPGsign1_med.JPG
so i used my flash and.. woho! (I'm not using my flash normaly). I like that little plant that found that pole in the channel as new home.

trees1_med.JPG
More trees.^^

power1_med.JPG
power2_med.JPGpower3_med.JPGpower4_med.JPG
The heating-station at night. The fog gave it some cool atmosphere, but my camera reached its maximum.

Thank you for merging foxy

Last edited by foxyphoenix; 11-03-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-06-2008   #36
Christian
Super Moderator

Yesterday had been the third grey and foggy day in a row and i had again too much time after my classes, so i went into the same city-forrest like i did the last wednesdays.

1 flower1_med.JPG
A little flower in the woods.

1 moss1_med.JPG1 moss3_med.JPG
1 moss2_med.JPG1 moss4_med.JPG
Some moss or something, looked like a little forrest on a tree, that looked like a mountain with that micro-forrest on it. Can you find the little mushroom in the last photo? ^^

As i went another routhe through the forrest i spoted those hugging trees. Looks like the left one trys to console the right one for loosing his leafs
2 tree1_med.JPG

More macros..
2 drops1_med.JPG2 drops2_med.JPG2 drops3_med.JPG
2 drops4_med.JPG
On a little hill (that was man made out of rubbles many many years ago) those grasses and that leafe attracted my attention

More mushrooms:
3 fungus1_med.JPG3 fungus2_med.JPG3 fungus3_med.JPG3 fungus4_med.JPGThat purple one in the last photo wasnt a bubble gum, its a new one.

3 street_med.JPG
As i went back to the 'S-Bahn': Old litte street, to bad that car was parked there. Its still not that far away from the centre of Berlin

I had still too much time left and it was just drizzling so i decided to go into the "Treptower Park", that is at the same area (but other direction) like the "Molecule Man" of post #22. There is a large harbour for little cruise vessels located, its a quite famous place.

4 tree2_med.JPG
That little tree will never die of thirst^^

4 gull1_med.JPG4 gull2_med.JPG
Gull on one of these cruise vessels.

4 duck1_med.JPG
I don't have any idea what that bird is.. I spoted one of those guys hanging out alone with lots of ducks about 3-4 times the last weeks at different places.

4 aurora_med.JPG
For our Denver folks ^_^

5 gulls1_med.JPG5 gulls2_med.JPG5 gulls3_med.JPG
More gulls flying around like crazy while getting feeded by promenader..

5 swan_med.JPG
..and a swan

The first two photos of the gulls are looking a bit like a moving study

5 gulls4_med.JPG

gulls5_med.JPG
The gulls came so close, that an older men was able to feed them from his hand.

6 port_med.JPG
The crowd from a more safe distance with houseboats in the background.

6 kite_med.JPG
Kite eating Tree..
Or did he tried to fly a kite on his own and failed?

6 church_med.JPG
A church on the other side of the river called "Spree"

6 cloud1_med.JPG6 cloud2_med.JPG
And from this point i knew where the clouds came from this day

7 squirrel1_med.JPG7 squirrel2_med.JPG7 squirrel3a_med.JPG7 squirrel4_med.JPG
As i walked along the river i found tow new friends, that allowed me to make some very close photos of them (finaly, yay!).

There also was a little isle I went on (where i also took the power plant photos from)..

8 house_med.JPG
That old tower was the ending point of the bridge leading onto it. There also had been a smaller one on the other side, but it had been full of graffiti.. (bah, i hate those guys..)

8 plane_med.JPG
On the bridge i spoted that hydroplane. I start to think that there is nothing that you can't do in Berlin. A hydroplane in the middle of Berlin, on a used river, that's crazy ^^

8 light_med.JPG
Later that evening, as i had been where i do my volunteering. I like fog and the drizzle gave it something special.

Oh and..
8 flowers_med.JPG
..a bonus photo for Zanahoria_Picante in a bigger resolution. Thanks for the rep. on the smaller version

Last edited by foxyphoenix; 11-06-2008 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-06-2008   #37
Zanahoria_Picante

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

I liked these especially. They look otherworldly...like...

Attachment 6446
Alice In Wonderland
Attachment 6445
and the entrance to Lothlórien.

And these two are just...amazing.
Attachment 6439
Attachment 6438

Alfred Hitchcock?!
Attachment 6458

P.S. Rep!
Edit: Oh, I missed a whole page of them! *Goes to peruse*

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Old 11-06-2008   #38
Christian
Super Moderator

Hehe, thank you and thank you for the nice Rep. Gone on a little hike through another lokal park and made a few more photos today. Will post them tomorrow.
Old 11-06-2008   #39
Zanahoria_Picante

You are very welcome. Your photography amazes me. And I look forward to seeing those.

Just for the sake of it being posted again...

SQUIRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL-L-L-L-L-L-L-L-L!

(And yes, I resized it; I hope that's alright.)

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

Steven Wright

;
Old 11-06-2008   #40
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

^ Very nice. And I liked the woodpecker silhouette as well. I may have already said that, but I don't mind saying it again :.)

Though it snowed a bit in gusts last week, tomorrow it should again in mixed rainy/snowy showers. Yet on our walkway between canals near one of the little bridges, there are a few bushes with lone rosebuds defying fall with all their might. I LOVE that! Tomorrow I hope to get a picture of them :.)

Tags
christian, photography