Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Debate & Politics

Debate & Politics Fight! Fight! Fight! Keep your arguments clean, and be constructive about getting your point across.

View Poll Results: Holidays to celebrate, or not.
I have no use for holidays 4 57.14%
to be added 2 28.57%
" 3 42.86%
|V 2 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2008   #1
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute
too many holidays!

What is up with so many holidays? I don't even celebrate them anymore because few people even know why they exist, and the timing interferes over much.

The commercialization of holidays promotes ignorance and spending money for the sake of it.

I prefer to do things throughout the year as convenience allows, opposed to scrambling to come up with something suitable for a particular holiday.

Should there be holidays at all?

If there should be, which ones? Post what you think and I'll add them to the poll for others to vote on.

Wikipedia shows the following:

Quote:
United States of America

See Public holidays of the United States for background information.
The United States federal government designates national holidays for federal employees only. State and local governments generally observe these holidays as well as many State Holidays. For a basic list of holidays as seen on a 2008 calendar:

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." ~~ Cicero

"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food." ~~ Hippocrates

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.
my.dragons.lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008   #2
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic
Re: too many holidays!

Know what the average amount of vacation time a US worker is given per year?

13 days.

Know what the average amount of vacation time a worker in the UK is given?

28 days. More than double that of ours.

Let people have their holidays and days off. Also, you can't exactly count a Superbowl Sunday as a holiday because mail doesn't run and banks generally aren't open on Sundays anyway.

There are plenty of these that don't shut down anything, except for those who celebrate that holiday--Rosh Hashana, for example, and Ash Wednesday. Unless you'd like to restrict freedom of religion, I wouldn't get rid of those types of holidays just because you don't want to celebrate them.

And is April Fool's day a holiday, or just a day people can play pranks if they want?....
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. – Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008   #3
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute

I agree we've made ourselves workhorses to our own detriment and disagree with those who claim necessity for it. So, why not a regular day off as in Europe then, rather than having holidays picked out for us by people who have no other reason than to make money off us?

Say for example, one three-day weekend every two weeks? Or one, four day weekend per month. Or to compromise and make it easier for businesses without allowing them total control of us, allow flexibility where time off can be staggered somewhat like it is, but for everyone so that time off is not really a unique benefit. Really, time off to rest and be with family should not be a work benefit.

Also from what I've been told, bank holidays in Europe are not exactly the kind most people want anyway :.) As it was explained to me, perhaps pitcairnpete will confirm or deny, bank holidays were created to keep Britain's accounting straight and to escape correcting errors.

Similar to here, currently we have two months to identify a bank error and pursue it to resolution (if luck allows). If we catch an error after two months passes it's up to the bank's discretion and we're usually screwed because our banks don't have to correct it. One difference though is we don't celebrate getting screwed by our bank. I was told bank holidays give a day off because it is easier to keep the work and pay straight along with starting with a clean slate.

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.
Old 08-29-2008   #4
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo

All we need is Christmas.

and the 4th of July because fireworks look good.

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008   #5
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

I think the religious holidays are bullshit, not only because I doubt their veracity, but because everyone gets them off and all calendars have them. Just once I would like to have a calendar that tells me about the birth of Christ. Seriously. People of those faiths should already know their holidays, and those of us that do not celebrate them (this includes Jewish people not celebrating Christian holidays and vice versa) shouldn't have to deal with them at all.
* January 1 New Year's Day
* January 21 Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (3rd Monday of January, traditionally Jan. 15)
* February 2 Groundhog Day
* February 3 Super Bowl Sunday (currently the first Sunday of February)
* February 14 Valentine's Day
* February 18 Presidents Day (officially Washington's Birthday; 3rd Monday of February, traditionally Feb. 22)
* March 17 St. Patrick's Day
* March 20 Vernal Equinox (based on sun)
* April 1 April Fool's Day
* April 21 Patriot's Day/Marathon Monday (New England and Wisconsin only) (3rd Monday of April)
* April 22 Earth Day
* April 25 Arbor Day
* May 5 Cinco De Mayo (Mexican holiday often observed in US)
* May 26 Memorial Day (last Monday of May, traditionally May 30)
* June 14 Flag Day
* June 15 Father's Day (3rd Sunday of June)
* June 20 Summer Solstice (based on sun)
* July 4 Independence Day
* September 1 Labor Day (first Monday of September)
* October 13 Columbus Day (2nd Monday of October, traditionally Oct. 12)
* October 30 Mischief Night
* October 31 Halloween
* November 4 Election Day (Tuesday after the first Monday of November)
* November 11 Veterans Day
* November 27 Thanksgiving (4th Thursday of November)
* November 28 Black Friday (Friday after Thanksgiving Day)
* December 7 Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day
* December 21 Winter Solstice (based on sun)
* December 31 New Year's Eve

Italicized means that the country doesn't really celebrate it as a holiday...
Underlined means it's Hallmark's.
Bold means it goes frequently unnoticed.

Therefore, we have:

* January 1 New Year's Day - Ok, I get this one. It can stay.
* January 21 Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (3rd Monday of January, traditionally Jan. 15) - Legitimate celebration of a man's legacy; it can stay.
* February 18 Presidents Day (officially Washington's Birthday; 3rd Monday of February, traditionally Feb. 22) - No. Presidents get enough publicity already, plus we have a billion and one patriotic days.
* April 21 Patriot's Day/Marathon Monday (New England and Wisconsin only) (3rd Monday of April) - See? No.
* April 22 Earth Day - Perfect holiday.
* April 25 Arbor Day - Most people don't know what 'Arbor' means. *sigh* Otherwise I like it.
* May 26 Memorial Day (last Monday of May, traditionally May 30) - I think this is one of the patriotic days that can stay.
* June 14 Flag Day - It's a piece of fabric, get over it. No.
* July 4 Independence Day - This is the other patriotic holiday that can stay.
* September 1 Labor Day (first Monday of September) - Tremendously important for the history of unions and working in the U.S. Proper.
* October 13 Columbus Day (2nd Monday of October, traditionally Oct. 12) - The guy was a douche. What about a "Native American Remembrance, and God Damn We're Sorry, Day"? Otherwise, toss it.
* October 31 Halloween - Brilliant, non-denominational, non-patriotic-centric holiday. It's all in fun. =)
* November 11 Veterans' Day - Don't they have, like, Memorial Day? I know we should honor our veterans, but jeez. Tossed.
* November 27 Thanksgiving (4th Thursday of November) - Also known as "Trick the savages into letting us take their land and slaughter their people" Day! Honestly, we should have a day set off for saying thank you to whatever god, goddess, gods, goddesses, or no god you believe in, but let's not have the political overtones, k thanks.
* December 7 Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day - Agreed.
* December 31 New Year's Eve - Same thing as January 1... it's a holiday that covers more than one day... it doesn't need another name.

I also think September 11 is a Remembrance Day?

Anyways, if you don't like my choices I don't really care.
I think we should get more days off of work (but because work is hard, not because it's a special "day"), fewer off from school, and less corporate whoring of the holidays left.

ALSO:
These are just the ones on calendars; have you seen how many friggin' holidays there are? Google "Stupid Holidays" if you don't believe me.
Like "Save a Spider Day" or "The Ides of March". I mean, they're awesome, but shouldn't be nationally-sanctioned holidays.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008   #6
GoddessDivine
I move the stars for no one.

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine

These are the only holidays I recognize in my little world, like I actually celebrate: (the bold ones are because my Irish Grandmother would have my ass if I did not visit her and celebrate with her.)

* January 1 New Year's Day
* March 16 Palm Sunday
* March 17 St. Patrick's Day
* March 21 Good Friday
* March 23 Easter Sunday

* April 1 April Fool's Day
* May 5 Cinco De Mayo
* May 11 Mother's Day
* June 15 Father's Day
* July 4 Independence Day
* October 30 Mischief Night
* October 31 Halloween
* November 27 Thanksgiving
* December 24 Christmas Eve
* December 25 Christmas Day

* December 31 New Year's Eve
-Obi Wan

GoddessDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008   #7
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

To avoid derailing a thread:

Quote:
Originally Said by krashkitten View Post
Random correction:
According to some urban legends, the dates of Christmas and Christ's birth were 'adjusted' on the calendar to be closer to Yule, which is a pagan holiday.

It's Easter you're thinking of, which was also supposedly adjusted to be closer to Beltaine...which is a celebration of fertility, love, and life. Hence, 'sex with anyone'.

Also interesting to note: Bunnies and eggs? Symbols of fertility in old pagan cultures (druids and Picts, as examples). Now you know.
I've heard it about multiple holidays, including solstice celebrations and Christmas time (as I might have said more appropriately) and prior, being based on paganism or equivalents. Easter is bogus too. Really, a lot of holidays have different basis or meanings other than what most are aware of due to seasons changing around the world in varying latitude and longitudes. Like Christmas or Christmas time.

Even modern holidays are not what most of us think they are. Mother's Day, for example, is based on mothers mourning their sons who died at war. Then Hallmark decided to bank on it too.

Old 11-18-2008   #8
Bamcubz
WIFE - MOM - ME

Bamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond repute

Considering that State and Church are suppose to be separated, religious holidays should not be taken off by those that work for the government.
Make them work right throught it all. We get 6 legal holidays off at my work. Speaking of which I get a 4 day weekend next week.

At the beach, life passes differently. Time does not pass by the hours but by the moments and moods.
Bamcubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008   #9
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

^ Excellent point.

Most jobs I've worked only recognized holidays as days for OT. In the military, you work whenever.

On the other side of having too many holidays, I should also have mentioned that I'm totally against overworking. Americans work a high average of hours per week. If religion and special events were taken out of the picture, they could not be used to manipulate people. But I also believe "time off" should be incorporated into each month so that it wouldn't really be time off. 40 hour weeks should be the max and sick time and vacations would be less of an issue.

4 day work weeks or 6 hour work days 5 days a week would be beneficial in so many ways for employees and businesses.

Old 11-19-2008   #10
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Thoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond repute

January 1 New Year's Day
February 14 Valentine's Day
March 17 St. Patrick's Day
March 23 Easter Sunday (Christian; moveable; Sunday after first full moon during spring)
April 1 April Fool's Day
May 11 Mother's Day (2nd Sunday of May)
June 15 Father's Day (3rd Sunday of June)
July 4 Independence Day
October 31 Halloween
November 27 Thanksgiving (4th Thursday of November)
December 25 Christmas Day (Christian)
December 31 New Year's Eve

I was raised Jewish, but Christmas is just great fun, and Easter means free candy, so you can't go wrong there. And new year's eve is my birthday.

The best ones are fourth of July, Halloween, and Christmas. Obviously.
Old 11-19-2008   #11
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the list of Federal holidays for 2008, for which the government shuts down:

Tuesday, January 1 New Year’s Day
Monday, January 21 Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.
Monday, February 18* Washington’s Birthday
Monday, May 26 Memorial Day
Friday, July 4 Independence Day
Monday, September 1 Labor Day
Monday, October 13 Columbus Day
Tuesday, November 11 Veterans Day
Thursday, November 27 Thanksgiving Day
Thursday, December 25 Christmas Day

That's not a lot. Also, here are postal holidays for 2008:

Tuesday, January 1 - New Year's Day
Monday, January 21 - Martin Luther King Jr's Birthday
Monday, February 18 - Washington's Birthday (President's Day)
Monday, May 26 - Memorial Day
Friday, July 4 - Independence Day
Monday, September 1 - Labor Day
Monday, October 13 - Columbus Day
Tuesday, November 11 - Veterans Day
Thursday, November 27 - Thanksgiving Day
Thursday, December 25 - Christmas Day
Thursday, January 1, 2009 - New Year's Day

While up there was a list of a lot of "holidays," many of them aren't official-the government doesn't shut down, and the post office doesn't shut down for Valentine's Day, or April Fool's Day, or Flag Day or Halloween...or really most of those. If people want to have rememberance days or silly days, I could care less.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. – Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-19-2008   #12
Bamcubz
WIFE - MOM - ME

Bamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond repute

Since they start putting out the Christmas stuff out in October - pick one day and have them all at once. Of course all the retailers would scream since that's what most of them have turned into - commericalism. Never mind that most people don't even know or care why they are celebrating a holiday anyhow.

At the beach, life passes differently. Time does not pass by the hours but by the moments and moods.
Bamcubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008   #13
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

ablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to ablethevoice Send a message via Yahoo to ablethevoice

Quote:
Originally Said by Bamcubz View Post
Since they start putting out the Christmas stuff out in October - pick one day and have them all at once. Of course all the retailers would scream since that's what most of them have turned into - commericalism. Never mind that most people don't even know or care why they are celebrating a holiday anyhow.

AMEN to that, my dear. Just an excuse to get drunk and drive around trying to kill themselves or others.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." —Albert Einstein

“It's fortunate for governments that people don't think." - Adolph Hitler

Sturkis akidit ("shit happens") - Latin

Bent Ears Audio Laboratories - Better Music Through Chemistry

MUSIC IS LIKE CANDY. IT'S ONLY GOOD WHEN YOU GET RID OF ALL THE RAPPERS.
))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
ablethevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008   #14
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

Why were the poll options changed and my vote removed? Interesting.

Yup. There would be monumental hissy fits if holidays were removed altogether. I'd be in the thick of it if an equivalent or better time off were not implemented.

As holidays have evolved, I believe they're at least partially used to control or monitor consumer spending and to divide people. I don't get why so many people encourage time off that doesn't benefit them more adequately. There are a lot of people who do their part, but not enough or we wouldn't be stuck with working like dogs to our own detriment.

Also, a lot of families use holidays as bribes and weapons of manipulation against each other. I prefer doing things throughout the year and more often. Why use a handful of days as a reason to do something for or with other people just several times a year?

Holidays also contribute to stress, crowded roads and more accidents.

Old 11-20-2008   #15
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Huh. Weird--I just noticed that. What were your poll options before, dragonslady? I'll change 'em back.
Old 11-20-2008   #16
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

My vote was for the first option, "I have no use for holidays". I don't remember the other poll options now. I should have added federal holidays to the poll to begin with, but since we can't tell how many voted for what it's probably best to delete the poll altogether. Thanks anyway for offering to fix it.

That said, because America is so culturally diverse, I also believe it would be better to have regular time off throughout the year. If work days were shorter and kids went to school all year like parents work all year, there would be more continuity, stability and probably better family living in general. And k-12 might be k-10. Speaking from the advantage of hindsight, it is SO much easier to learn when young and already in that mindset. That's another subject though.

Old 11-20-2008   #17
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Okay, if you're okay with it I'll just delete the poll.

EDIT: I guess only the admins have the option of deleting a poll. I just closed it instead.

I don't remember the other options either, and I didn't vote on it. Who knows what happened?
Old 11-20-2008   #18
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

Yup. File 13 will do. Sheez. GD and David- are on all of them now so it's pointless anyway :.)

Old 11-26-2008   #19
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

Wet blanket that I am about holidays in general, the one I believe could rightly exist without offending any person or religion would be in honor of Native Americans who gave strangers a hand up and helped them survive here, along with "our" Thanksgiving holiday. From Forgotten American History,

Quote:
Did you know that the story of, and National Holiday, Thanksgiving was not created until 1863,by Pres. Lincoln to increase patriotism during the Civil War & that Pilgrims were not even included in the story until 1890?! That was 240 years AFTER it supposedly took place! Eastern Natives had observed autumnal harvestcelebrations for centuries before that. After the Europeans arrived, the Natives would sometimes include them in the feasts to forge alliances. But Thanksgiving is much more fable & myth than fact. Certainly not be taken literally. Not that we should think negatively on a day set aside to give thanks for what we have. It's just a shame we include such an ethnocentric myth as its centerpiece.

If you feel that a day should be set aside to honor the Natives of this land, to who we owe so much, click here & sign the petition for a National Holiday in their honor.
I wouldn't mind making Thanksgiving that holiday and then it wouldn't bother my conscience to celebrate it.