Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Debate & Politics

Debate & Politics Fight! Fight! Fight! Keep your arguments clean, and be constructive about getting your point across.

Old 04-04-2005   #1
oceandream130
Future star of a Zach Braff film!

oceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond repute
Day of Silence and Day of Truth

At my school recently, the administration has banned anyone from participating in the "Day of Silence" on April 13. In case you didn't know, it is a student-led day of "silence" to recognize and protest the discrimination and harassment experienced by Gay students. Essentially, for the entire school day, particpating students don't talk and hand around cards explaining their actions. More in-depth information can be found here...
Day of Silence.org

My school has banned it because they claim that it disrupts the school day, even though students offered to talk when absolutly necessary (e.g. speeches, graded discussions, etc.).

Also, the school has said that by allowing the Day of Silence, they would also have to allow other organizations to do the same if they requested. For instance, the Day of Truth has recently been set up to counter the Day of Silence. Essentially, it offers the Christian viewpoint on the matter. The problem remains that if the Day of Silence is allowed, the Day of Truth MUST also be allowed, otherwise it would be viewpoint discrimination.

More info. on Day of Truth: http://www.alliancedefensefund.org/a...d=410&cid=3308

Personally, although I don't agree with the Christian views, I don't see how their viewpoint can be oppressed. I believe that as long as they do not promote hatred in their message (even though some would say they already do...), there is really nothing the school can do. You can't allow one viewpoint and not the other. I'm really not sure on this one...

So...I'm curious as to what your thoughts are on this issue. Should the Day of Silence be allowed? Should the Day of truth be allowed as well?

Final note: I don't want this thread to turn into a Christian/gay bashing one, I simply want the issue at hand to be discussed
Old 04-04-2005   #2
schism-
King Cunty

schism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to schism-
Re: Day of Silence and Day of Truth

Not being able to mind your own fucking business: The Christian Condition.

I have the Downs.
schism- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005   #3
oceandream130

oceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond reputeoceandream130 has a reputation beyond repute

Please, Schism, I appreciate your view, but I really would like some good replies here. I hope that what people say here can help me to present a firmer case to the school because I strongly believe that Day of Silence should be allowed.
Old 04-04-2005   #4
schism-
King Cunty

schism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to schism-

My reply IS good, but if you insist...

Passive resistance is on of the most peaceful and effective ways of standing up for your rights and beleifs, and thus, the Day of Silence should be allowed. As I understand it, it is simply students passively resisting the rules and regulations of their schools in an attempt to prove a point, and get some changes made. If the school were to disallow this, then they would simply be encouraging more resistance and rebellion.

But, as things go, this also means the day of truth should be allowed as well. I may not agree with what those religious uptight bastards have to say, but it's their right to be able to say it.

I have the Downs.
schism- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005   #5
Nami
Tome Traveler

Nami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond repute

If anything, it should give a lot of teachers peace of mind. Imagine: Bunches of teenagers staying silent the entire day. What do the teachers care about how the students feel on different issues?

I don't see why the Day of Silence would be such a horrid thing.

Nami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005   #6
RubberDucky55
Almost Smart Master

RubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to RubberDucky55 Send a message via MSN to RubberDucky55 Send a message via Yahoo to RubberDucky55

i think they should allow both of them. i dont think school is where you should abandon all your opinions, and i thinks its good to get students concerned and involved and what not. it is only fair that they host both events so the students can get both sides of the story. as much as i dont agree with the other side...

RubberDucky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005   #7
Sir Kent
Sir Kunty

Sir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond repute

The Day of Silence should be allowed, because it is a noble cause. The Day of Truth should be banned because it promotes segregation of homosexuals. The Christians can take their "views" and shove them up their asses.

The school can try to ban it if they want, but it won't work. They can't stop people from protesting. Not unless they want to escalate matters beyond the point of passive aggressiveness.
Old 04-04-2005   #8
RubberDucky55
Almost Smart Master

RubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to RubberDucky55 Send a message via MSN to RubberDucky55 Send a message via Yahoo to RubberDucky55

technically, they will have to allow both. in the school environment, it is required to present all different views of the issue. i do disagree with what the day of truth would stand for, but if students against gay segregation have the right to protest, everyone else should too.

Old 04-05-2005   #9
Gecko17
i eat bunnies

Gecko17 has made a few great posts
Send a message via AIM to Gecko17

We had day of silence at my school without much of a problem. Let's face it, one day doesn't mean much in high school and the hard ass teachers will get their way. What an age we live in where our Earth is being destroyed, people kill each other for any reason, we spend more money on weapons than helping the needy and someone's private life is the taget for a Religion that preaches loving each other. I can't help but laugh with God.
Old 04-06-2005   #10
RubberDucky55
Almost Smart Master

we had the day of silence at our school today, and it was pretty cool seeing all the people wearing the t-shirts they gave them for participating. i didnt know we were doing it so soon, or otherwise i would have done it.

Old 04-07-2005   #11
Sir Auric
ZOMGBBQCHEESESNACKS!

Sir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond repute

Allow both. Then the only ones complaining are the ones that think that their view is superior. Those people are the dumb ones anyway, so who cares what they think?
With your hands, hold the rain.

I want everyone to remember how precious life is...I didn't think too much about the future until I created it for myself...now I'm a bit more mature and have a beautiful daughter. Don't cheat yourself of a full life, surrounded by the people, things, and memories that you cherish.
Sir Auric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005   #12
Mystic Thunder
Old & Wise Member

Mystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of lightMystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of lightMystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of lightMystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of lightMystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to Mystic Thunder

Schoolswant to teach people the right thing. By romoting the day of silence they do that. by promoting the day of truth they teach there students ( not all of em) to keep away and hate homosexuals.

My last point is wrong
Old 04-07-2005   #13
Sir Auric
ZOMGBBQCHEESESNACKS!

Sir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond reputeSir Auric has a reputation beyond repute

I am now mildly confused as to your actual opinion, Omega.
With your hands, hold the rain.

I want everyone to remember how precious life is...I didn't think too much about the future until I created it for myself...now I'm a bit more mature and have a beautiful daughter. Don't cheat yourself of a full life, surrounded by the people, things, and memories that you cherish.
Sir Auric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005   #14
Mystic Thunder
Old & Wise Member

Mystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of lightMystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of lightMystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of lightMystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of lightMystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to Mystic Thunder

well arent we all. ignore my post
Old 04-09-2005   #15
Demento
Banned

Demento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Demento Send a message via MSN to Demento

Quote:
Originally Said by OmEgA VeNoM
well arent we all. ignore my post
I dont think it workds well at my school. I have a student body of 4000, and only about 30 people have the tape on their mouths. If there was a day of truth, i bet there'd be about 3000 people who supported that. If anything, the day of silence labels people as gay-supporters, and then they are targets for people who bash homosexuals physically.

Yea, thats my opinion without trying to say the day of silence is lame.

Demento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005   #16
oceandream130

Quote:
Originally Said by Demento
I dont think it workds well at my school. I have a student body of 4000, and only about 30 people have the tape on their mouths. If there was a day of truth, i bet there'd be about 3000 people who supported that. If anything, the day of silence labels people as gay-supporters, and then they are targets for people who bash homosexuals physically.

Yea, thats my opinion without trying to say the day of silence is lame.
You'd actually be surprised at how many people at large schools participate in the Day of Silence across the country. There are much more than 30 people at my school who are interested, and I attend one of the most conservative schools in the state! The whole point of the day is for other students to realize that there are fairly large gay and lesbian populations in schools, so that they can realize this fact and recognize the need to respect them more (many participating schools have actually noticed a vast increase in respect after holding the day). Although there would be some students who would single out participants and harass them, the greater majority would benefit. Last year, my friends and I weren't even aware of the Day of Silence until it came, and when it did, it really opened our eyes to how many homosexuals/supporters are in our school.
Old 04-09-2005   #17
rosie-cheeked
Weird.

rosie-cheeked is doing greatrosie-cheeked is doing great
Send a message via Yahoo to rosie-cheeked

I started doing the Day of Silence at my high school when I was a sophomore, so roughly around the age of 15, (I'm 19 now) and my school had no problem with it. I had a report due that day, so a bunch of my classmates complained saying that I was using this 'protest' as an excuse b/c I was unprepared. My American history teacher (I was a junior at this point) told them to can it, because he knew that I had everything laid out and ready in outlined form and that I was doing this to show in a pacifist way my views. I am bisexual, most of my friends are gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transexual, therefore, I had a strong belief. All of my straight friends did this as well.

Anyway, I personally believe both days should be allowed as long as they are poth pacifistic, and do not promote violence. They are the beliefs of two totally different viewpoints, and disallowing either would be condoning the First Amendment.

They have the right to speak, (or not in this case), they have the right to believe, they have the right, period.

I am not Christian, but my mother is a Christian minister with a bisexual daughter (me), a straight daughter, and a gay son. She knows the silence my brother and I had, and she knows what she in her heart feels true and right whether or not my brother and I fit those standards. What everyone needs to really realise is that it's not really black and white. It is all a gray area that everyone is trying to find themselves through. You cannot please both viewpoints by doing what both say, however, you can please both if you let them express themselves.

I can truly go on and on about this, and I know I'm rambling now, so if you want to discuss this with me privately, (I have many thoughts, arguements, and agreements), you may PM me, or e-mail me. :)

Last edited by rosie-cheeked; 04-10-2005 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Grammar errors
rosie-cheeked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005   #18
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Thoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond repute

I think they just like to excersize their administrative power once in a while to make sure it still works. Not talking even though it's banned makes it better though, don't you think, because it's even more of a protest.
Old 04-10-2005   #19
Demento
Banned

Demento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Demento Send a message via MSN to Demento

We should have a day of silence that rebels against days of silence/truth.

Demento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005   #20
Blackass
groingrabbingly good!

Blackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Blackass

Sir Kent said
The Day of Silence should be allowed, because it is a noble cause. The Day of Truth should be banned because it promotes segregation of homosexuals. The Christians can take their "views" and shove them up their asses.

In response
By the same token, the Day of Silence should be banned because it segregates as well. The Day of Truth does nothing different than the Day of Silence, it merely represents an opposite viewpoint. It would be segregation and favoritism to have one and not the other.

In my opinion, if one is allowed, the other should be as well.
Blackass is offline   Reply With Quote