Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > AlmostSmartism > Front Page > Back Page News

Back Page News Not quite front page material.

Old 08-18-2009   #1
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

Madre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond repute
Best Buy Fires Two Employees Who Tackle Thief

This store is very close to the weasely one's store. I think the thing that bugs me the most is when these "asset protection" people say that they need to look at my receipt to ensure that I've paid for the items in the bag. This is after you just left the checkout stand about 20-30 feet away from them and within their view. Why hassle and delay honest customers when you won't even attempt to stop dishonest shoplifters?

Next time I guess I'll just refuse knowing that they can't touch me once I've left the store.

Man Pulls Knife, Cuts Store Manager

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...44/detail.html

BROOMFIELD, Colo. -- Two college students who tackled a shoplifter at a Best Buy in Broomfield have been fired.

Jared Bergstreser, 20, and Colin Trapp, 23, were fired Sunday, two weeks after they tried to stop a man fleeing the store at the FlatIron Marketplace.

"A gentleman came by us in a red shirt with a bunch of product in his hand. It was pretty obvious that he hadn't paid for it yet," Trapp said.

"I just kind of reacted. I wasn't thinking about it and followed the guy out the front door and tackled him," Bergstreser said.

As Bergstreser was struggling with the thief on the ground, Trapp ran over to help.

"We thought we had the situation under control. That's when he pulled a knife and began flailing it around wildly," Trapp said.

The man broke free and cut the store manager, who had come out to try to calm things down.

Witnesses saw the man with the knife and an accomplice get in to a green car with a temporary tag.

No arrests have been made in connection with the theft, which occurred Aug. 1.

Trapp and Bergstreser said they feel they were wrongfully terminated for their actions on that day.

"It was just completely demoralizing. You think you have in your head what you know is right or wrong, what your parents instilled in you growing up as a child, and then to be reprimanded for that act is so sour and so sad," Trapp said.

"I think I did what I believed was right," Bergstreser added.

Best Buy spokesperson Kelly Groehler told 7NEWS that the company won't talk about the termination of any employee.

Groehler did say, "...that employees who work in our stores are aware, and trained, on the standard operating procedures for dealing with shoplifting or theft - which includes ceasing pursuit of a suspected shoplifter once they exit the store."

Groehler said the procedures are in place foremost for the safety of employees.

Bergstreser, who received minor cuts and bruises during the scuffle, worked at the store for nearly three years.

He said he understands the company's concerns.

"By my doing that, it put other people in danger. Even myself. So I can definitely see why they would have reprimands for that," he said.

But Bergstreser says he doesn't think the reprimand should have been termination.

Local police say that whenever you see a theft in progress, whether it's at a bank, a store or your own personal property, you shouldn't try to be a hero.

They say you should be the best witness you can be, get as much information as you can and call police promptly.
III.IIVIVIXIIVIVIIIVVIIIIXVIIIXIIIIIIIIVIIIIVVIIIV IIVIIIIIIVIII - Solomon (I Kings 7:23)
Madre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009   #2
moonlight_serenade
groingrabbingly good!

moonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond reputemoonlight_serenade has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Best Buy Fires Two Employees Who Tackle Thief

... Yeah. This is dumb.

It doesn't make any sense. I've worked retail for ages, and I've always been told that once a shoplifter leaves the store they can be stopped, because once that happens, stuff has officially been stolen. It's when they're still on store premises that they can't be approached, because they always have the option of dropping the stuff before they leave, thereby not stealing anything. I've seen people tackle shoplifters before; they choose to do so at their own risk. A company shouldn't fire those employees that are looking to protect company assets.

moonlight_serenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009   #3
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Thoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be fired too if I ever tackled anyone at work, regardless of what they were doing.

It's just a liability on the part of the company; they can't have employees taking things into their own hands and risk lawsuits and violation of company policies. I assume the employees were notified of this upon hiring
Old 08-20-2009   #4
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

They should have been.

All the retail places I've worked have had precautions put in place preventing me from trying to apprehend the shoplifter.

Of course, that didn't always stop me from approaching them, I would just never touch them or follow them.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote