Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > Media Room > Music

Music Discuss the latest in music. Talk about your favorite or most hated bands and artists. Music theory, tabs, and your recordings also go here.

Old 06-06-2003   #1
jayhay0
Old & Wise Member

jayhay0 has a spectacular aura aboutjayhay0 has a spectacular aura aboutjayhay0 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to jayhay0
Metallica - St. Anger (album)

Well then.
Any doubts still in your mind that metallica couldn't be what they were before - think again. I listened to the entire St. Anger album today, and it was HARD. And HEAVY. Same ol' metallica. 'Cept James is clean and they got a new bassist. And Lars' drums sound different? Hmmm. Anyways - go pick it up if you like some fast metal.
Old 06-06-2003   #2
Wobbie
Is Back

Wobbie has a reputation beyond reputeWobbie has a reputation beyond reputeWobbie has a reputation beyond reputeWobbie has a reputation beyond reputeWobbie has a reputation beyond reputeWobbie has a reputation beyond reputeWobbie has a reputation beyond reputeWobbie has a reputation beyond reputeWobbie has a reputation beyond reputeWobbie has a reputation beyond reputeWobbie has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Wobbie
Cool. Thanx, It comes out in Australia in 3 days. I've heard the 30 sec grab of Frantic, and it sorta sounds SOADish
Wobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003   #3
Dg
Old & Wise Member

Dg is a knight of Almost SmartDg is a knight of Almost SmartDg is a knight of Almost SmartDg is a knight of Almost Smart
Its really good, Ill upload it at some point, maybe.
Christ, how many suicidal people do you know?! I mean, I've met a couple, but I never really pay attention to them because I figure if they were really suicidal, they'd be killing themselves instead of whining. It's the quiet ones you gotta worry about...
Dg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003   #4
Thrice
Identity Crisis

Thrice is on a distinguished road
Its Metallica but i dont think its up to their full potential. There arnt really any memorable songs or ballets. Kirk has no solos and i dont like this. Metallica isnt metallica without there 10 minute anthems and kirk screaming solos

http://www.youtube.com/theskrilla19
Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2003   #5
moocow44
Procrastination Street.

moocow44 is a name known to allmoocow44 is a name known to allmoocow44 is a name known to allmoocow44 is a name known to allmoocow44 is a name known to allmoocow44 is a name known to all
Ok, new Metallica in Moocow's opinion:

1.) its great to hear Metallica get heavy again
2.) great to see Rob Trijillo fittin in
3.) Metallica needs to sound like Metallica...not a mix of Meshuggah, KillSwitch Engage, & SOAD.
4.) All guitars are in drop C (i think) & i have to admit, this is cool for Metallica to do.
5.) sadly, i don't know if this album will do so well w/ the normal "metallica crowd" since this music is not as "light" as the past.

all in all. the new metallica is alright but i'm happy i didn't buy the album.

Fuck Your Scene.

http://www.myspace.com/arikakaosa
Spread The Word
moocow44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003   #6
jayhay0
Old & Wise Member

jayhay0 has a spectacular aura aboutjayhay0 has a spectacular aura aboutjayhay0 has a spectacular aura about
I agree - the album needs to have Kirk rock out more.
Old 06-07-2003   #7
INCUBUS
Cave ab homine unius libri

INCUBUS is a glorious beacon of lightINCUBUS is a glorious beacon of lightINCUBUS is a glorious beacon of lightINCUBUS is a glorious beacon of lightINCUBUS is a glorious beacon of light
I like it. It's a little bit more like old school Metallica, but more refined. Load sucked. Reload sucked worse yet. S&M, What the fuck was that all about? (Cashing in on your fans perhaps) Garbage Inc...(without a doubt record company raping fans and Metallica truly selling out) It was largly B-sides that any hardcore fan already had. St. Anger... in my opinion is Metallica getting back to what made them a kick ass band in the first place. Their music. I kind think they sold out got rich/paid the bills and now are back to playing Metallica and not "see we can be mainstream too".

"That which doesn't kill us... only makes us stronger."

"Oh well... whatever... nevermind."
INCUBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003   #8
Wobbie
Is Back

Wobbie has a reputation beyond reputeWobbie has a reputation beyond reputeWobbie has a reputation beyond reputeWobbie has a reputation beyond reputeWobbie has a reputation beyond reputeWobbie has a reputation beyond reputeWobbie has a reputation beyond reputeWobbie has a reputation beyond reputeWobbie has a reputation beyond reputeWobbie has a reputation beyond reputeWobbie has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Wobbie
I finally heard it today, my brother got it. It fuckin ROCKS. Cool DVD too. The Vocals are great, and hammets guitar work, although it's slightly different, is awesome. You don't really expect metallica to soung like their still in the eighties, and with that in mind, good work.
Wobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003   #9
Mr Stabby
Turned out to be crazy weird

Mr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond repute
its heavy than some of the previous work, but this album fucking rocks!!!.....yeah its a shame there are less anthem like numbers and kirk seems to have dropped the solos but at some point all bands evolve slightly, but shit the album still rocks......

.....and about the new bassist, i've heard that its not him on the album but someone else filling in but not sure if this is true or not.....

....and dg, this albums already been uploaded by fake15....
Old 06-08-2003   #10
jayhay0
Old & Wise Member

Quote:
Originally posted by INCUBUS
. S&M, What the fuck was that all about? (Cashing in on your fans perhaps) Garbage Inc...(without a doubt record company raping fans and Metallica truly selling out) It was largly B-sides that any hardcore fan already had.
HEY NOW! I happened to love metallica w/ the San Fran Orchestra. I thought it added a nice touch...and surprisingly the strings & horns were cool. But eh, thats just my opinion on it. I'm not a hardcore metallica fan, and I bet many True fans didnt like it.
Old 06-09-2003   #11
chicken_bituka
Newbie Member

chicken_bituka is on a distinguished road
hey,bro! i also got indulged with Metallica's new album. the material was heavy and full-flavored just like eating the best food in town. ROOCCkSSS!
chicken_bituka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003   #12
Mr Stabby
Turned out to be crazy weird

Mr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by jayhay0
HEY NOW! I happened to love metallica w/ the San Fran Orchestra. I thought it added a nice touch...and surprisingly the strings & horns were cool. But eh, thats just my opinion on it. I'm not a hardcore metallica fan, and I bet many True fans didnt like it.
hey man, i though s&m was good, its good to see bands experiment a little with their style of music and to see them play with the San Fran Orchestra was good....i especially liked the version of 'nothing else matter' that was played.......
Old 06-09-2003   #13
rich101682

rich101682 is respected by allrich101682 is respected by allrich101682 is respected by allrich101682 is respected by allrich101682 is respected by allrich101682 is respected by allrich101682 is respected by allrich101682 is respected by all
Send a message via AIM to rich101682
I bought St. Anger and I hate it. I like the fact that they are getting back to their metal roots, but on some of the songs, it's like Lars wanted to see how fast he could beat the drums with no regard on if it fits in the song or not. And no solos? Also, almost every single song on the album is about 2-3 minutes long in reality, but they just repeat it over about 4 times barely changing anything. I'm as bi of an old school Metallica fan as anyone, but the songs are waaaay to repetitive. Does anyone else agree?
rich101682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003   #14
ALTERm4nn

ALTERm4nn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to ALTERm4nn
I don't think so... New Metallica album is something different from what we've heard before. But everything changes, we mustn't expect 'old school' sound. Try to undestand it...
Old 06-09-2003   #15
DEATH BY STEREO
Trainee Member

DEATH BY STEREO is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DEATH BY STEREO
It's really dissapointing. No catchy riffs, screaming solos, guitar harmonies, kickass brutal/organized songs. It sounds like a mess. I do like St. Anger, Frantic, and Sweet Amber, but the rest are kinda dumb. I do like the fact that it's heavier, and I bet it'll grow on me, but for now it's a dissapointment. Metallica should at least get some solos back in to the mix. I still love ol' Metallica, and I bet the album after this one will be better.

DEATH BY STEREO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003   #16
poppyat1
Needs to confirm E-mail address

poppyat1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to poppyat1
i always metallica for what it gave in the begining
this one rocks ..

bang that head that doesn't bang
this is mettallica ..........
poppyat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003   #17
kyle
Lawl ^^

kyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to kyle Send a message via MSN to kyle Send a message via Yahoo to kyle Send a message via Skype™ to kyle
YEA ROCK ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003   #18
DEATH BY STEREO
Trainee Member

DEATH BY STEREO is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DEATH BY STEREO
Good point, you should always stick by a band, no matter what they do. I think it's REDICULOUS when people stopped liking them after they cut their hair. It's fucked up, man. Metallica is amazing and hair doesn't make a fucking difference. But why am I even bitching about that right now? Stick by the bands you like, I still love Metallica.

DEATH BY STEREO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003   #19
Thrice
Identity Crisis

Quote:
Originally posted by SUBTLEDAGGER
Good point, you should always stick by a band, no matter what they do. I think it's REDICULOUS when people stopped liking them after they cut their hair. It's fucked up, man. Metallica is amazing and hair doesn't make a fucking difference. But why am I even bitching about that right now? Stick by the bands you like, I still love Metallica.
I like the way you think. We should start a band

Old 06-10-2003   #20
Thrice
Identity Crisis

i figured out what sound really not that great on the album. You can hear it mostly on the song St. Anger. Lars isnt using a zero ring and his snare is ringing like crazy. Maybe he did this purposely but i dont this. Im still trying to get the hang out the C tuning. I dont know if its Metallica yet. Im seeing them in July, should be a great show.