Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > AlmostSmartism > Front Page

Front Page The threads which appears on the front page. Add your comments or create your own front page threads.

Old 11-04-2004   #1
Rock ur socks
and i'll rock them hard too !

Rock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divineRock ur socks is divine
Send a message via AIM to Rock ur socks Send a message via Yahoo to Rock ur socks
State IQs & Election Results

http://chrisevans3d.com/files/iq.htm

Weasel made me do it.
Rock ur socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #2
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

Madre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond repute
Re: State IQs & Election Results

Doesn't surprise me, I pretty much already figured this out.
III.IIVIVIXIIVIVIIIVVIIIIXVIIIXIIIIIIIIVIIIIVVIIIV IIVIIIIIIVIII - Solomon (I Kings 7:23)
Madre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004   #3
RubberDucky55
Almost Smart Master

RubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to RubberDucky55 Send a message via MSN to RubberDucky55 Send a message via Yahoo to RubberDucky55

hehehe, i heard about that... thanks for posting it!

RubberDucky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004   #4
Narnar
your PUR-FECT enemy

Narnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond repute

I must be a mutant.. I'm about 50 IQ above my state's average :/
Narnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004   #5
Blackass
groingrabbingly good!

Blackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Blackass

Yes, there are dumb conservatives, but dumb liberals as well, such as Hollywood.

EDIT: Not exactly the same, but shoots down the argument.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/satire/gop.asp

If it doesn't work, go to www.snopes.com and type "state IQs" in the search box. The thing I want you to read will be the first and only result.

Last edited by Weasel; 11-05-2004 at 06:12 AM. Reason: fixed link so i could get busy refuting it.
Blackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004   #6
Weasel
Ich lasse deine Nächte zum Tag werden!

Weasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Weasel Send a message via MSN to Weasel Send a message via Yahoo to Weasel

The Snopes piece references an unrelated "study". I don't think it shoots down the argument concerning the IQ chart.

The website lays out a fairly simple and factual sorted chart. It doesn't even make any conclusions, except the obvious conclusion one can come to is that states that go Bush have a lower average intelligence level. This is nothing new, NASCAR watching Georgians are generally not as smart as chowder sipping Massachusettsians. The point it makes however, is that the states on the lower half of the chart run the risk of having more uninformed voters.

Also note the 2000 chart that has the states sorted by percentage of population with a college degree. The lower percentages all go red. I can't speak for everyone here, but in high school I could have cared less about politics.

Almost Smart Admin
Email Me or PM Me

Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004   #7
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

Quote:
Originally Said by Weasel
The Snopes piece references an unrelated "study". I don't think it shoots down the argument concerning the IQ chart.

The website lays out a fairly simple and factual sorted chart. It doesn't even make any conclusions, except the obvious conclusion one can come to is that states that go Bush have a lower average intelligence level. This is nothing new, NASCAR watching Georgians are generally not as smart as chowder sipping Massachusettsians. The point it makes however, is that the states on the lower half of the chart run the risk of having more uninformed voters.

Also note the 2000 chart that has the states sorted by percentage of population with a college degree. The lower percentages all go red. I can't speak for everyone here, but in high school I could have cared less about politics.
I don't think that's a correct assumption. One doesn't have to have attended college to make an informed decision on who to vote for.

I've been all over the US and I have yet to find a place that doesn't have just as many stupid people as the next. There are just different stereotypes. Such as your nascar assumption. My mother LOVES nascar, and so does my father. My mother graduated with honors in Music with a minor in business, and she's one of the smartest people I know. My father graduated with a degree in advertising, not with honors but close, and he IS the smartest person I know. I could go down the list, I just won't. True, stupid people do watch NASCAR, but stupid people also eat clam chowder in Massachussetts.

The intelligence of the people doesn't change, geography is the difference.

However, I have noticed that in the south, morality is more of an issue when it comes to voting. This election has certainly proved that. Some say that morality shouldn't be a factor in voting, but I've noticed it has more of an influence down here because there are more Christians and they vote on the basis that their leader shows that he has the morals that they value. Intelligence has nothing to do with that.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. – Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004   #8
SniperJL

SniperJL should be rewarded

LOL, bush IQ may probably be below the average of his own states.
Old 11-05-2004   #9
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

Madre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by SniperJL
LOL, bush IQ may probably be below the average of his own states.
Oh, I have never doubted that! A bumper sticker Weasel and I saw in Georgia said "John Kerry - Bringing complete sentences back to the White House!" How can people really say that they voted for Bush because he makes them feel safer and more secure? He can't even form complete sentences properly. There is no doubt about it - we do not have an electorate that is truly informed and really understands the issues.
III.IIVIVIXIIVIVIIIVVIIIIXVIIIXIIIIIIIIVIIIIVVIIIV IIVIIIIIIVIII - Solomon (I Kings 7:23)
Old 11-05-2004   #10
Blackass
groingrabbingly good!

Blackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond repute

Remember, however, that I shot down the IQ you posted Madre.
Old 11-05-2004   #11
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

No, bleed black, you just don't get it. You don't have to have a study of people reading president's reports to analyze a person's IQ. Most people can tell, just from listening, whether or not a person is intelligent. I'm sure that you've met many people that you can just tell from speaking with them that they are not the brightest bulbs on the planet. That's how it is with Dubya. I've watched him in all the debates, both this year and in 2000, and listened to many speeches and I can tell that he's not the sharpest tool in the shed (to coin a phrase).
Old 11-05-2004   #12
Blackass
groingrabbingly good!

No Madre, you just don't get it. I refuted that point exactly, need I do it again?

Plus, public speaking is not the tets of intelligence. If it was, I would not be considered smart at all, but I feel that I am intelligent enough when I have time to plan out what I'm going to say, and able to go back and revise it.
Old 11-05-2004   #13
Blackass
groingrabbingly good!

Look what else I found

http://www.isteve.com/Web_Exclusives...115.6465670139

This guy points out that the method for determining the average IQ is wrong. He take sthe IQ based on income, which is deceptive. No doubt, there is a corelation, but people in the south can enjoy a high standard of living off a lower income.
Old 11-05-2004   #14
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

No, Bleed Black, you STILL don't get it. If there were no question regarding Bush's intelligence, there would be no need for ultra-right wing conservatives to post blogs on the internet defending his intelligence. Anybody can come up with multiple (and meaningless) statistics to defend their position. They must do so because there are so many people out their questioning his intelligence. That right there should be enough for you to figure out that maybe, just maybe, this is a concern. I already told you, I'm not going to post statistics or studies to defend my position. I'm an intelligent person and I can tell when somebody is not very intelligent. There is no way that an intelligent person could listen to Kerry and Bush debate side-by-side and say, "oh, I think Bush is more intelligent than Kerry". While public speaking is not the only measure of intelligence, it's the only one that the electorate can go by when choosing a candidate. How else can we know who to vote for? That and the issues, of course, and Bush has made so many serious errors in judgment over the past four years.
Old 11-05-2004   #15
poopy
The ?mægå Mån

poopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to poopy

i can't believe that no one has questioned the chart. i don't recall ever being iq tested and i doubt anyone i talk to has either. is this test based on what a hundred "random" people.

and another thing i have lived in massachusetts and guess what? to be the state that spends the most on education in the nation. they better have high IQs. but i personally can tell you that they have some true retards there, that i suspected every school had, until i moved to california. now here is a clumped together emalgomate of sub-par human beings. i am in a californian college. i take english. i am relearning word parts and how to write a paragraph. and not that i don't think a little practice makes perfect but everyone in my class acts like they don't get it and i went over and aced it in 6TH GRADE!!!

that's right californian education is about 7 years off by my conclusions.
back on topic i think your chart is based on little more than someone's self-dillusions. and even if it is based on factual evidence it would have to be so miniscule that it would have little bearing anyway.

ask yourself how many poeple you know that actually took an IQ test. and then ask yourself if this chart has taken the time to accumilate and average every test taken by state. me thinks not

and as long as we are posting fun facts. try this one out. it shows the ground that each candidate won by precinct.

http://www.newsmaxstore.com/nms/show...=1737&CATID=13
&GroupID=53

there are precincts in every state that were won by each candidate. in fact look at that like i said before the inner cities/lower income areas are the liberal while the moderate-high taxed areas voted conservative. looks to me like the 48% that kerry got, are looking for a handout.

hey maybe in 4 years we can get a liberal president.
communists and dreggs of society unite!!
BEWARE: When eating snacks remember that the fruit roll-up factory feels the need to endanger our lives with a potentially suffocatingly thin transluscent plastic. I am outraged and currently on my way out the door to start a petition for a boycott of any and all fruit roll-up snacks. Please send me a message or post your name, telephone number, and address, and some one will be by to get your signature. Thank You
poopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004   #16
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

I have to admit, I thought that IQ chart was weird too. They can perhaps project the kids' IQ's based upon standardized testing and maybe they came up with some kind of prediction regarding the adults IQ's based on that. I don't know - the only point I was trying to make before, though, about Bush's IQ is that the only thing most people have to judge a candidate by, and make an informed decision regarding that person, is by what he says and how he says it. I think we can safely say that most people don't really study the issues. If they do, they make a decision based on one or two issues, such as, I'm pro-life so I'm only going to vote pro-life, no matter what. I hate taxes so I'm never going to vote for a Democrat because I'm afraid my taxes will go up. I'm anti-gay so I'm not going to vote for somebody that I think will approve gay marriage because I want all gays to lead celibate, lonely lives so I can feel better about their gayness.
Old 11-05-2004   #17
Blackass
groingrabbingly good!

Quote:
Originally Said by Madre
No, Bleed Black, you STILL don't get it. If there were no question regarding Bush's intelligence, there would be no need for ultra-right wing conservatives to post blogs on the internet defending his intelligence. Anybody can come up with multiple (and meaningless) statistics to defend their position. They must do so because there are so many people out their questioning his intelligence. That right there should be enough for you to figure out that maybe, just maybe, this is a concern. I already told you, I'm not going to post statistics or studies to defend my position. I'm an intelligent person and I can tell when somebody is not very intelligent. There is no way that an intelligent person could listen to Kerry and Bush debate side-by-side and say, "oh, I think Bush is more intelligent than Kerry". While public speaking is not the only measure of intelligence, it's the only one that the electorate can go by when choosing a candidate. How else can we know who to vote for? That and the issues, of course, and Bush has made so many serious errors in judgment over the past four years.
You are basing your opinion on a false study.

2 things to hit here, 1 I never said Bush was smarter than Kerry, and 2 there are many people defending Bush's intelligence because of the lies regarding it. People say he is dumb, and that's not true. People always refute what their oponents say, so your point leads to nowhere.
Old 11-05-2004   #18
poopy
The ?mægå Mån

poopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to poopy

well i am glad you have my number to a "T".

exageration, anyone?
one lump or two?

p.s.
standardized tests are not I.Q. tests and anyone who uses them as such is a complete imbecile. they generally cover math and english only. or a foreign language and they are so controversially viewed as being filled with holes, it would take no less than a hoover dam for them to hold water
BEWARE: When eating snacks remember that the fruit roll-up factory feels the need to endanger our lives with a potentially suffocatingly thin transluscent plastic. I am outraged and currently on my way out the door to start a petition for a boycott of any and all fruit roll-up snacks. Please send me a message or post your name, telephone number, and address, and some one will be by to get your signature. Thank You
poopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004   #19
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

Quote:
Originally Said by poopy
standardized tests are not I.Q. tests and anyone who uses them as such is a complete imbecile. they generally cover math and english only. or a foreign language and they are so controversially viewed as being filled with holes, it would take no less than a hoover dam for them to hold water
True. Standardized tests shouldn't even be given in schools without a complete reworking of what they put in the tests. Especially if they intend to use these to know whether or not a school teachis its kids anything or not. Math and verbal tests do not measure a person's intelligence. Neither does knowledge of a foreign language.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. – Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004   #20
Tim

Tim is just really niceTim is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Tim

Yes! Florida isn't last.