Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > General

General If it doesn't belong anywhere else it goes here.

Old 08-22-2008   #61
pitcairnpete
Howdy Doodere

pitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to pitcairnpete
Re: Almost Smart Convention 2009

here is my deal

1. People in the US would like to see me there (that is the biggest thing)

2. Someone from the US will make sure that I can get a place to sleep or share a driving point when I land. I really do not mind that

3. (this is the big one) someone can help me out when I get there and meet me at the terminal.

If anyone wants to call the airport I will do the rest, honestly, any answers please......

pitcairnpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #62
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

Madre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure we can meet all your needs.... ;)
III.IIVIVIXIIVIVIIIVVIIIIXVIIIXIIIIIIIIVIIIIVVIIIV IIVIIIIIIVIII - Solomon (I Kings 7:23)
Madre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008   #63
pitcairnpete
Howdy Doodere

pitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond repute

Give it a month and I will work on from there..

I hope david is game too!

Old 08-22-2008   #64
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

hai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by pitcairnpete View Post
here is my deal

1. People in the US would like to see me there (that is the biggest thing)

2. Someone from the US will make sure that I can get a place to sleep or share a driving point when I land. I really do not mind that

3. (this is the big one) someone can help me out when I get there and meet me at the terminal.

If anyone wants to call the airport I will do the rest, honestly, any answers please......

i'm sure no one would mind helping you out. i've already stated that there is an airport less than an hour from here, and on the way to CO, so we could pick people up on our way. It would be Birmingham, AL.
Old 08-23-2008   #65
Sytrohs87
goliath

Sytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Sytrohs87 Send a message via MSN to Sytrohs87

I'll be flying in from RVA, but I'll need someone to pick me up from the airport in Colorado.

Also, have we got the site worked out for where we're all going to be gathering? Is it going to be another KOA deal, cause that seemed to work out quite nicely.

-The Mars Volta

"I consider the positions of kings and rulers as that of dust motes. I observe treasures of gold and gems as so many bricks and pebbles. I look upon the finest silken robes as tattered rags. I see myriad worlds of the universe as small seeds of fruit, and the greatest lake in India as a drop of oil on my foot. I perceive the teachings of the world to be the illusion of magicians. I discern the highest conception of emancipation as a golden brocade in a dream, and view the holy path of the illuminated ones as flowers appearing in one's eyes. I see meditation as a pillar of a mountain, Nirvana as a nightmare of daytime. I look upon the judgment of right and wrong as the serpentine dance of a dragon, and the rise and fall of beliefs as but traces left by the four seasons."

-Siddhartha Gautama
Sytrohs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #66
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

hai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond repute

yea, the koa was really cool.

andrew looked soooo cuuuuuuute in his wittle feeping bag behind the front door.

I kid.

the lodge was cool though.
Old 08-23-2008   #67
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a feature on VBulletin that allows creation of a calendar or chart of sorts so people can see potential stops or overnight stays and transportation arrangements? Maybe a Word doc, an ordinary table or an Excel spreadsheet?

If such a thing is possible, I thought it might be useful if posted at the top of this thread, the same place polls appear. Just a thought.

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." ~~ Cicero

"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food." ~~ Hippocrates

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.

Last edited by my.dragons.lady; 08-23-2008 at 10:44 AM. Reason: typo
my.dragons.lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008   #68
Sytrohs87
goliath

Sytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Panda View Post
yea, the koa was really cool.

andrew looked soooo cuuuuuuute in his wittle feeping bag behind the front door.

I kid.

the lodge was cool though.
I stab pandas and eat their entrails!

tastes like beef and bamboo.

-The Mars Volta

"I consider the positions of kings and rulers as that of dust motes. I observe treasures of gold and gems as so many bricks and pebbles. I look upon the finest silken robes as tattered rags. I see myriad worlds of the universe as small seeds of fruit, and the greatest lake in India as a drop of oil on my foot. I perceive the teachings of the world to be the illusion of magicians. I discern the highest conception of emancipation as a golden brocade in a dream, and view the holy path of the illuminated ones as flowers appearing in one's eyes. I see meditation as a pillar of a mountain, Nirvana as a nightmare of daytime. I look upon the judgment of right and wrong as the serpentine dance of a dragon, and the rise and fall of beliefs as but traces left by the four seasons."

-Siddhartha Gautama
Old 09-01-2008   #69
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

10 months to go! i can't wait!
Old 09-01-2008   #70
Sytrohs87
goliath

I actually may or may not be there, considering I'm probably going to have to save up some money for when I move out of Richmond a year from now.

-The Mars Volta

-Siddhartha Gautama
Old 09-01-2008   #71
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

where are you moving? i hope we have money to get there, and i'm sure we will. You can never plan for anything 100%, but hopefully by this time next year we won't still be broke.
Old 09-01-2008   #72
Sytrohs87
goliath

Tokyo or New York. Both hellishly expensive.

-The Mars Volta

-Siddhartha Gautama
Old 09-01-2008   #73
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

wow. why are you moving there?
Old 09-01-2008   #74
Sytrohs87
goliath

I've a friend who's planning on moving to Asia, and we've discussed it at length, and I've another friend who's thinking about moving to New York. I'd rather try and move somewhere with someone I already know than try and just make a whole new set of friends. If I had my choice, I'd probably move to Berlin or London, but no one I know is seriously considering moving to either of those cities. I just feel like I want to get somewhere with a huge art scene.. and I mean the one in Richmond is alright, what with VCU injecting new artists into the city every year, but it feels pretty isolated from the rest of the world.

-The Mars Volta

-Siddhartha Gautama
Old 09-01-2008   #75
pitcairnpete
Howdy Doodere

Lets see how the next few months unfold then we can go from there. I think its all in the finances for me.

Old 09-06-2008   #76
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

possibly we could elect a treasurer of sorts that we know definitely will be going to the convention. that person could set up an account or something to keep the money people send in to fund the convention and, possibly, funds for those needing money for travelling expenses.

I was thinking for this year, maybe have a mandatory minimum fee of maybe $20 or $25 depending on how many people are expected. That way, if we do the same thing in '09 as this year, we can have lodges, campgrounds, hotel rooms, or whatever booked in advance. That will be one way also to know for sure who's going to come. I know before Bryon wasn't sure how many people were coming and who would bail out, so he booked a camp site and a cabin. All worked out, but we don't want to be under prepared or have extra space we're not going to use.

I think it was JJ last time that suggested someone set up a paypal account, and that way (I think) people can deposit money freely and it would go directly there. We could also possibly have co-maintainers of the account (or however you wanted to arrange it), that way one person won't be responsible and the money would be guaranteed more secure.

I'm going ahead and suggesting this because money is the number one priority for arranging this thing, and if someone even wanted to go ahead and set it up, people could add even just a few dollars at a time for the next year (I would only suggest this for people positive about going) so we don't all have to worry about coming up with money for lodging, activities, etc. at the last minute.

I have no problem doing what I can to fund the convention, but as far as organizing it planning it financially it'd have to be someone who would really know what they were doing.

This is just a suggestion, of course, but with most of us being young people and/or college students, I know at least Matt and I can't come up with lots of money all at one time, but we will be willing to do what we can.

Also, since Madre is wiping her hands clean of this, does everyone still want to do it in CO? It's still fine with me either way but it would be better if people closer to the area did most of the organizing for obvious reasons.

Anyways, I definitely don't think it's too early to start planning at least financially.
Also, I think if we do it via paypal or something similar, if plans fall through people can be refunded their money fairly.

Another thing I have to add - if someone did set up some sort of account now, Matt and I could both easily add $10 each a month for the next 10 months, which would be $200 by next July. It would be a $100 investment for everyone, but $10 a month really isn't hard to come up with (for the majority, anyways, I would think).
Old 09-06-2008   #77
Sytrohs87
goliath

I agree with the whole paypal account thing. I'd be willing to transfer $10/15 a month to a certain account to help pay for lodgings.. sounds easy enough. We'd just have to elect someone to manage it/set up lodgings. I know nothing about Colorado, and the only other person I know that lives there, if only on a part-time basis, is foxy.. so she's my nomination. If Madre really has backed out, that is.

-The Mars Volta

-Siddhartha Gautama
Old 09-06-2008   #78
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute

Not to be a wet blanket, however good at that I am :.), but first google "paypal lawsuit". We experienced identity theft both times we used PayPal and not everyone is fortunate enough to recover their loss.

An ACH account or similar may be more appropriate, but would require one person to set it up, usually for a nominal fee ($25?), and requires a written agreement to have a specific amount of $ electronically withdrawn for a specific purpose on a specific date and to be returned upon specific terms. The money goes from account to account directly without changing hands person-to-person. An ACH account also allows flexibility to save monthly, or put trip money in all at once. It alleviates liability and the risk of anyone being stuck with monetary issues that shouldn't be theirs.

Just a thought. Maybe someone else has a similar idea?

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.
Old 09-06-2008   #79
Sytrohs87
goliath

Well hell, if that's the case, why doesn't someone just open up a free checking account?

-The Mars Volta

-Siddhartha Gautama
Old 09-06-2008   #80
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

Because a free checking account allows the creator of that account to do anything they please with the $ deposited into it. An ACH account doesn't allow for that. Even a person who opens an ACH account can only use it for a very specifically outlined purpose and, in my personal business experience, is monitored by a bank representative to be sure transactions follow the rules of the mutual agreement.