Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > General

General If it doesn't belong anywhere else it goes here.

Old 12-14-2007   #81
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos
Re: Ask Jason

Quote:
Originally Said by misfitchris View Post
what are u doing tonihgt?
I don't know yet. I normally don't do anything.

What are you doing?
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #82
misfitchris
zer0.

misfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart god
Send a message via AIM to misfitchris

about to go to sleep after i read some of a book.
but after that no plans...i wouldnt mind flattening all the tires of a certain persons SUV. this certain person kinda looks like eric cartman's mom...you know who im talking about.
ill call ya.
in the mean time...what is the singularity of all things in the universe (this includes time and space)

Don't you just love it when the end result is greater than the sum of its parts?
misfitchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #83
misfitchris
zer0.

misfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart godmisfitchris is an Almost Smart god
Send a message via AIM to misfitchris

if you cut a nipple off will it grow back as a nipple?

Don't you just love it when the end result is greater than the sum of its parts?
misfitchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #84
Pittielynn
sweet, funny and down-right CUTE!

Pittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond repute

Can you kill off Chris whitout getting sent to jail?

"Be strong while it's hard and laugh at it after it's over. You just gotta live." - Spadetje

All along I believed I would find you.
Time has brought your heart to me,
I have loved you for a thousand years.
I'll love you for a thousand more...
...One step closer.
•°o.O♠O.o°•

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Pittielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #85
Mr. Definistrate
I'm a magic man

Mr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond repute

Have you ever read Atlus Shrugged, and if so, did you enjoy it?

AND

What is the meaning of life?

AND

Do the ends justify the means?

3 questions for the price of one post? priceless.

"There is, after all, more social justice in a loaf of bread than in schemes for a fairer distribution of wealth. Putting it another way . . . Adam Smith, however unfashionable, can feed more people than Karl Marx can."
--Forbes article on Food crisis in India

Quote:
Originally Said by Zanahoria_Picante View Post
Little Jimmy: (Tries to pour cereal from box; nothing comes out) "Nothing...for breakfast?"
Announcer: "That's right, little Jimmy! Nihilistic Crunch comes with a little nothing in every box!"
Little Jimmy: "Gee wiz, Mister! Won't I be hungry for the rest of the day?"
Announcer: "Well, Jimmy, that's the cost of keepin' it real."
Little Jimmy: (looks downcast)
Announcer: "Nihilistic Crunch: Now utterly devoid of swirls!"
Mr. Definistrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #86
Mr. Definistrate
I'm a magic man

Mr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Definistrate has a reputation beyond repute

sry for double post, but I'm too lazy to edit. forgive me.

I've seen watership down when I was a kid, and I liked it a lot. what does it symbolize? I saw part of it, and guessed too much human growth and facism, but you might know better.

What's battle Royale and Return to Oz about?

(taken from censorship thread)

"There is, after all, more social justice in a loaf of bread than in schemes for a fairer distribution of wealth. Putting it another way . . . Adam Smith, however unfashionable, can feed more people than Karl Marx can."
--Forbes article on Food crisis in India

Quote:
Little Jimmy: (Tries to pour cereal from box; nothing comes out) "Nothing...for breakfast?"
Announcer: "That's right, little Jimmy! Nihilistic Crunch comes with a little nothing in every box!"
Little Jimmy: "Gee wiz, Mister! Won't I be hungry for the rest of the day?"
Announcer: "Well, Jimmy, that's the cost of keepin' it real."
Little Jimmy: (looks downcast)
Announcer: "Nihilistic Crunch: Now utterly devoid of swirls!"
Mr. Definistrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #87
casandra
I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way..

casandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to casandra

Quote:
Originally Said by Mr. Definistrate View Post

AND

AND

hahah, you must be in english 101 (not in a bad way, i just remember those topics)..ayn rand and machiavelli...
casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #88
EmperorChaos

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Quote:
what is the singularity of all things in the universe (this includes time and space)
I would say it is THE SINGULARITY (and not the technological singularity that is to come) but the original singularity prior to the Big Bang.

Quote:
if you cut a nipple off will it grow back as a nipple?
I don't believe so. I think it'll just grow back as a wretched patch of skin. Are you planning to cut someone's nipple off?

Quote:
Originally Said by pittielynn View Post
Can you kill off Chris whitout getting sent to jail?
I believe I could... but I believe I could get away with murder in most circumstances. I consider myself a rather good planner.

Quote:
I've never read anything by Ayn Rand. I don't intend to.

Quote:
That's a rather subjective question that I think each must answer him/herself.

Personally, I believe the meaning of life is to live and learn, to let live and teach, and to die complacently.

Quote:
Being somewhat Machiavellian in nature, yes, yes they do.

Consequentialism being what it is, I find that as long as ones ends are, say, ended, then one is morally right in the means they used to arrive there.

But this is another of those questions that one should look inside for... however fruitless it may be if the authorities that be have free reign to decide for the masses.

Quote:
"Indeed," states Jason, very Vulcanesque.

Quote:
sry for double post, but I'm too lazy to edit. forgive me.
You're banned.

Quote:
I've seen watership down when I was a kid, and I liked it a lot. what does it symbolize? I saw part of it, and guessed too much human growth and facism, but you might know better.
You'll be surprised but I've never read nor seen Watership Down, however, I know enough about it to say that it reflects the destructive nature of Man. You're right about too much human growth... and even fascism, though not in the traditional sense. From the rabbits' perspective, it is the humans who are the fascists. The humans do what they do solely for the benefit of themselves, much as fascists do what they do for the benefit of the state.

Quote:
What's battle Royale and Return to Oz about?
Battle Royale and Battle Royale (film) are a book and film, respectively, about a violent "game" where the hooligan youth of Japan are kidnapped and sent to an island to kill one another where only one can emerge victorious. It's incredibly violent. There were rumors that the movie was "banned" in the United States. They are unfounded. The film never obtained distribution rights in the US, something entirely different.

Return to Oz is a sequel to The Wizard of Oz. I dunno... I just remember that the main antagonist in the story could change heads... that freaked me out as a kid.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
Old 12-14-2007   #89
EmperorChaos

Quote:
No comprendo, señor, lo siento. Why would they turn off the heat?

Really? When do you think he was born then, eh?

(This has become like a virtual, dimensional rift from your "Ask Jason" thread. )
Well, let's move it here then.

They'd turn off the heat because they didn't have heat in the stables of Bethlehem, far as I know. Of course, as I said, I doubt that Jesus was born in the winter of 1 BCE and here's why.

First, Herod's death is recorded as being the same year as a solar eclipse. We can accurately determine that solar eclipse occurred on March 13th of the year 4 BCE.

The Bible states that Jesus was born under Herod's Reign and that Herod slew all the children two years of age and younger in and around Bethlehem (not being a Biblical Scholar like Zana, I'll have to look this one up) in Matthew 2:1-16.

Therefore, Jesus would have had to have been born before 6 BCE unless he was hidden from Herod's child executioners.

Luke also states, albeit somewhat erroneously, that Jesus was born around the time of the [wiki]Census of Quirinius[wiki], which, according to Roman historians, occurred in the year 6 BCE. Luke's testament of the year has also been found to be inaccurate. SOURCE This shows further evidence that Jesus was born before 6 BCE.

Furthermore, Luke 2:8 tells that there were shepherds in the fields tending the flock. There would not be shepherds in a field tending sheep in the midst of Winter. Hence, Jesus's birth was likely in another month.

Sometime in the fall, most likely.
-=-=-=-
Old 12-14-2007   #90
pitcairnpete
Howdy Doodere

pitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to pitcairnpete

How and why did the Soviets differentiate between agitation and propaganda in the first 20 years of its conception as the soviet union.

I had to write a few words on this once, so I would like to see how you do darling.

pitcairnpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #91
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

Quote:
Originally Said by EmperorChaos
I don't believe so. I think it'll just grow back as a wretched patch of skin. Are you planning to cut someone's nipple off?
Ever seen those pictures of breast enhancements gone wrong? It's enough to give me a nightmare.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. – Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007   #92
pitcairnpete
Howdy Doodere

pitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Jenn and tonic View Post
Ever seen those pictures of breast enhancements gone wrong? It's enough to give me a nightmare.
never mind a nightmare, more like a shite pear. I have seen those odd ones.

Old 12-15-2007   #93
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by JaSunTzu View Post

They'd turn off the heat because they didn't have heat in the stables of Bethlehem, far as I know.
Ah, true enough.

Quote:
Therefore, Jesus would have had to have been born before 6 BCE unless he was hidden from Herod's child executioners.
Matthew 2:13-14 reads "And when they were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him.

When he arose, he took the young child and his mother by night, and departed into Egypt:"

So, apparently, they did flee Herod's child executioners.

As for the rest of your post, you have some astute reasoning, but I feel ill-equipped to argue this particular point, not having studied it out in depth. But 'twas intriguing and thank you for your much-superior-to-an-advice-column-esque response.

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007   #94
Hamana
jaaa, klar.

Hamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Hamana Send a message via Yahoo to Hamana

Dear Mister Jason,

i am a frequently reader of your column and i would be happy to have you share your wisdom with us.
*ehmm* so here is my question: What can i do on a long boring flight to entertain me and not to get on the black list of Lufthansa. I would be glad for any instipration from your site.
I have already considered bowling, but i guess that is not allowed. To play the memory game with the passengers and always find two same passengers and flip them around might not work very well.
But seriously, i simply seem to freak out after 8 hours of flying..i can´t help myself but being absolutly bored and the problem is that my flight is 11 hours.
i hope you can help me soon,

your faithful reader Susanne.

Hamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007   #95
EmperorChaos

Quote:
Originally Said by pitcairnpete View Post
How and why did the Soviets differentiate between agitation and propaganda in the first 20 years of its conception as the soviet union.

I had to write a few words on this once, so I would like to see how you do darling.
Well damn, this is "Ask Jason" not "Require a Thesis Paper of Jason".

Nevertheless, I will try to supply you with at least a semi-adequate answer.

Well... nevermind. After reading numerous articles and perusing several websites pertaining to the early Soviet Union, including Article 58 (pertaining to anti-Soviet agitation and propaganda) of the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic Penal Code, I am forced to default on the answer to your question.

With about an hour and a half's worth of research*, I've failed to come up with anything conclusive. So I'd like your opinion on the matter. If you wish and still have the "few words" you had to write on the subject. You might just attach it here or email it to me?

*Includes moments of "Oooh! That's interesting" ::click:: and the end of a conversation with Kali, oh and also, drinking whisky... but that's been throughout.

Quote:
Originally Said by Jenn and tonic View Post
Ever seen those pictures of breast enhancements gone wrong?
Nope.

Quote:
As for the rest of your post, you have some astute reasoning, but I feel ill-equipped to argue this particular point, not having studied it out in depth. But 'twas intriguing and thank you for your much-superior-to-an-advice-column-esque response.
My dear Zanahoria Picante, perhaps you could ask your teachers at that fancy "Jesus school" you go to? I just made up the term Jesus School so if you find it troublesome let me know and I'll change my evil heathen ways (at least insofar as to how I refer to your otherwise unnamed school).

But yes... ask your teachers what they know about the specific time (day or night), season (winter or fall), and year (1BCE-8 or earlier BCE) of Jesus's birth.

If they say December 25th, 1 B.C., they are wrong. There are Biblical scholars one might define as "less wrong" in that they state Jesus's birth was actually January 8th, 1 A.D. and well, I don't quite remember what made them "less wrong" but it had to do with the Magi, I believe, and a foreign account pertaining to them.

Christmas, and therefore the Birth of Christ, is celebrated December 25th primarily to steal the "thunder", so-to-speak, not from Zeus (or his Roman name, Jupiter) but from a holiday derived from the celebration of his father Kronus (Roman, Saturn). This holiday is known as Sol Invictus (English, Invulnerable Sun) and is celebrated in honor of a state God known as Deus Sol Invictus (English, Invulnerable Sun God). It was believed by the Romans that the Sun's birthday was December 25th, as it becomes increasingly evident that the length of day is getting longer after the Winter Solstice of the 21st. Now, Sol Invictus (I so love Latin!) was derived from Saturnalia, a three-, five-, seven-, to even twelve-day long event (depending on region in/time period of the Roman empire) in celebration of Saturn, the Titan father of Jupiter, the King of the Gods.

AND THAT'S WHY THE SKY IS BLUE!

On a more personal note, Zana, you know how much Lord of the Rings knowledge I have? Well decuple that amount and you've got how much I know about mythology. I've got more than 20 books concerning the subject of the various mythologies of the world, most prominent being titled The Complete Encyclopaedia of Mythology. IT'S AWESOME!

Quote:
Originally Said by Hamana View Post
Dear Mister Jason,

i am a frequently reader of your column and i would be happy to have you share your wisdom with us.
*ehmm* so here is my question: What can i do on a long boring flight to entertain me and not to get on the black list of Lufthansa. I would be glad for any instipration from your site.
I have already considered bowling, but i guess that is not allowed. To play the memory game with the passengers and always find two same passengers and flip them around might not work very well.
But seriously, i simply seem to freak out after 8 hours of flying..i can´t help myself but being absolutly bored and the problem is that my flight is 11 hours.
i hope you can help me soon,

your faithful reader Susanne.
Dear Susanne,

I'm not sure. I've never flown on an airplane so I've never had to pass such time. The closest I've come to traveling such great distances are 20+ hours car trips. That being said, there's so much more freedom in the car as well as things to see then you will find on a place. However, I'd think that reading a book would help to pass such long periods of time. Reading makes me tired, after great length, so I could easily nap and then pick up where I left off upon waking. If you have a laptop you're carrying with you, a few games could help pass the time.

I do not know if you can see the night sky in airplanes (my friends have said you can't, I think they're lying). I'd imagine clouds and fat people could obstruct your view. But if you can see the night sky, look at the stars and deep sky objects. Your view is being unfettered by the prevailing light pollution of lower altitudes. If you happen upon one, or can print one off the Internet, have a constellation chart that may help you see what you can see. My love for the night sky would allow me (and has in the past) to spend hours gazing at it in awe.

Other than conversation worth having with your nearby passengers, I don't know what to suggest to you. Perhaps one day I will fly in an airplane, and then I'll be able to get back to you with a better idea.

Sincerely,

Jason
-=-=-=-
Old 12-16-2007   #96
pitcairnpete
Howdy Doodere

Ok, lets ask a few more questions...

Kieslowski directed the Dekalog (as posted verbatim in polish) but what of the 10 do you think really spoke to him due to his life experiences.

Whats the longest river in england?

Just two easy ones to get going...

Old 12-16-2007   #97
BrockSamson
Semper Fi

BrockSamson is respected by allBrockSamson is respected by allBrockSamson is respected by allBrockSamson is respected by allBrockSamson is respected by allBrockSamson is respected by allBrockSamson is respected by all
Send a message via AIM to BrockSamson

Did EC notice I was gone?
Secondly did EC want to join the marines?
Third and lastly does EC play call of duty 4? (which system if thou does)

Fuckin Right you are.
PBJT:
http://kuoi.com/~davidcb/sounds/banana.swf
396 LT1, 639 rwhp N/A
BrockSamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007   #98
BrockSamson
Semper Fi

BrockSamson is respected by allBrockSamson is respected by allBrockSamson is respected by allBrockSamson is respected by allBrockSamson is respected by allBrockSamson is respected by allBrockSamson is respected by all
Send a message via AIM to BrockSamson

Quote:

They'd turn off the heat because they didn't have heat in the stables of Bethlehem, far as I know. Of course, as I said, I doubt that Jesus was born in the winter of 1 BCE and here's why.

First, Herod's death is recorded as being the same year as a solar eclipse. We can accurately determine that solar eclipse occurred on March 13th of the year 4 BCE.

The Bible states that Jesus was born under Herod's Reign and that Herod slew all the children two years of age and younger in and around Bethlehem (not being a Biblical Scholar like Zana, I'll have to look this one up) in Matthew 2:1-16.

Luke also states, albeit somewhat erroneously, that Jesus was born around the time of the [wiki]Census of Quirinius[wiki], which, according to Roman historians, occurred in the year 6 BCE. Luke's testament of the year has also been found to be inaccurate. SOURCE This shows further evidence that Jesus was born before 6 BCE.

Furthermore, Luke 2:8 tells that there were shepherds in the fields tending the flock. There would not be shepherds in a field tending sheep in the midst of Winter. Hence, Jesus's birth was likely in another month.

Sometime in the fall, most likely.
Well done.

Fuckin Right you are.
PBJT:
http://kuoi.com/~davidcb/sounds/banana.swf
396 LT1, 639 rwhp N/A
BrockSamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007   #99
Hamana
jaaa, klar.

Hamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Hamana Send a message via Yahoo to Hamana

Quote:

Dear Susanne,

I'm not sure. I've never flown on an airplane so I've never had to pass such time. The closest I've come to traveling such great distances are 20+ hours car trips. That being said, there's so much more freedom in the car as well as things to see then you will find on a place. However, I'd think that reading a book would help to pass such long periods of time. Reading makes me tired, after great length, so I could easily nap and then pick up where I left off upon waking. If you have a laptop you're carrying with you, a few games could help pass the time.

I do not know if you can see the night sky in airplanes (my friends have said you can't, I think they're lying). I'd imagine clouds and fat people could obstruct your view. But if you can see the night sky, look at the stars and deep sky objects. Your view is being unfettered by the prevailing light pollution of lower altitudes. If you happen upon one, or can print one off the Internet, have a constellation chart that may help you see what you can see. My love for the night sky would allow me (and has in the past) to spend hours gazing at it in awe.

Other than conversation worth having with your nearby passengers, I don't know what to suggest to you. Perhaps one day I will fly in an airplane, and then I'll be able to get back to you with a better idea.

Sincerely,

Jason
I happen to always sit next to the wirdest people: 2 times next to american soldiars, a russian dog who did not like me, an american woman ignoring me, a guy with who i spoke english to every now and then until we both noticed at the end that we were both germans and some creepy guy staring at me.
i will probably come back to the good old book. clouds are pretty good to watch, but i don´t remember seeingstars at night. i usually sit at the window, because i oder my tickets over the phone and tell them to make me sit at the window.

Hamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007   #100
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My dear Zanahoria Picante, perhaps you could ask your teachers at that fancy "Jesus school" you go to? I just made up the term Jesus School so if you find it troublesome let me know and I'll change my evil heathen ways (at least insofar as to how I refer to your otherwise unnamed school).

But yes... ask your teachers what they know about the specific time (day or night), season (winter or fall), and year (1BCE-8 or earlier BCE) of Jesus's birth.

If they say December 25th, 1 B.C., they are wrong. There are Biblical scholars one might define as "less wrong" in that they state Jesus's birth was actually January 8th, 1 A.D. and well, I don't quite remember what made them "less wrong" but it had to do with the Magi, I believe, and a foreign account pertaining to them.

Christmas, and therefore the Birth of Christ, is celebrated December 25th primarily to steal the "thunder", so-to-speak, not from Zeus (or his Roman name, Jupiter) but from a holiday derived from the celebration of his father Kronus (Roman, Saturn). This holiday is known as Sol Invictus (English, Invulnerable Sun) and is celebrated in honor of a state God known as Deus Sol Invictus (English, Invulnerable Sun God). It was believed by the Romans that the Sun's birthday was December 25th, as it becomes increasingly evident that the length of day is getting longer after the Winter Solstice of the 21st. Now, Sol Invictus (I so love Latin!) was derived from Saturnalia, a three-, five-, seven-, to even twelve-day long event (depending on region in/time period of the Roman empire) in celebration of Saturn, the Titan father of Jupiter, the King of the Gods.

AND THAT'S WHY THE SKY IS BLUE!
"Jesus School" works, methinks. And, yes, I shall indubitably ask one of my teachers about that, but it shan't be for another month, until after the long Christmas break.

*Scrawls that question onto a mental sticky note, among the many others; brushes the dust off a few*

For now, I very much appreciate your mighty intriguing and in-depth considerations, Sir "JaSun." *Tips cap appreciatively*

Quote:
On a more personal note, Zana, you know how much Lord of the Rings knowledge I have? Well decuple that amount and you've got how much I know about mythology. I've got more than 20 books concerning the subject of the various mythologies of the world, most prominent being titled The Complete Encyclopaedia of Mythology. IT'S AWESOME!
¡Te creo! I hope your Encyclopedia includes colorful and flamboyant illustrations of each mythological figure.

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote