Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > General

General If it doesn't belong anywhere else it goes here.

Old 08-05-2007   #21
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Thoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ask Jason

I'm sorry dude, but you just said "cum grano salis"
Old 08-05-2007   #22
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Quote:
Originally Said by funksonic7 View Post
Have you ever gone to a party where the main theme was midget tossing?
I'm afraid I have missed out on that in life.

Quote:
Originally Said by tynie View Post
if you were to associate greek godesses with female members of almost smart, who would they be?

ladies, take note.
Excellent question. However, I'll have to respond to it in time. So, yeah.

Quote:
Originally Said by Madre View Post
Hera for me!
Uhm, this is "Ask Jason" not "Madre gets to decide what Greek Goddess she wants to be."

Quote:
Originally Said by MudPuppet View Post
I'm sorry dude, but you just said "cum grano salis"

I understand that. It means "with a grain of salt" in Latin. You know cum (pronounced 'koom') means "with" right? Sure ya did.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007   #23
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Thoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, but I do know that it means ejaculatory fluid.
Old 08-05-2007   #24
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

Location: Randomly by chance out of nowhere, b/c that's more plausible
Funk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=EmperorChaos;252710]I'm afraid I have missed out on that in life.[QUOTE]

You still have plenty of time. You could pay BeetleJuice to show up at a party
"God is the shaper of your heart. God does not display his work in abstract terms. He prefers the concrete, and this means that at the end of your life one of three things will happen to your heart: it will grow hard, it will be broken, or it will be tender. Nobody escapes." - Ravi Zacharias

Last edited by funksonic7; 01-06-2008 at 11:57 PM.
Funk*Sonic*7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007   #25
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

here's one that's been tugging at my bank account: why does college tuition cost so damn much? $47,000 a year! WTF?

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007   #26
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

Location: Randomly by chance out of nowhere, b/c that's more plausible
Funk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by foxyphoenix View Post
here's one that's been tugging at my bank account: why does college tuition cost so damn much? $47,000 a year! WTF?

This is a sore subject with me, and I'm sure with most people.
You're better off these days becoming an apprentice and learning a trade.
I'm so jealous of the some of the contractors who pretty much said "fuck college." I know so many contractors that do either Paving, Landscape, Concrete, Masonry, just to name a few. Most of them became their own boss, and are raking in a lot of money.
They never have to worry about a student loan hanging over their heads, because they never bothered with it.

Maybe it does make you more well rounded as a person? But what pisses me off the most and makes me feel like I was scammed, is that I have a student loan for 4 years worth of college that I am still trying to pay off. Luckily for me, it's the only debt I have. Like most fields, careers, and jobs, I only needed a semester to a semester and a half worth of courses in order to learn how to do what I do now. And there is no substitute for climbing the ladder of experience, which I felt I could of done anyways.
"God is the shaper of your heart. God does not display his work in abstract terms. He prefers the concrete, and this means that at the end of your life one of three things will happen to your heart: it will grow hard, it will be broken, or it will be tender. Nobody escapes." - Ravi Zacharias

Last edited by funksonic7; 08-06-2007 at 12:40 PM.
Funk*Sonic*7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007   #27
Dammmmn

1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute1337 has a reputation beyond repute

You're right, college does feel like a ripoff. I'm on my third year, and don't really feel like I've gained much more from it than debt.
1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007   #28
casandra
I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way..

casandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to casandra

oooh ooh http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassandra

i'm not a greek goddess, but daughter of the king of troy.... cool enough :)
jason will say i'm the queen of whoreticulteralists. but who really cares about jason's opinion anyway ;)
casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007   #29
foxyphoenix

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by funksonic7 View Post
This is a sore subject with me, and I'm sure with most people.
You're better off these days becoming an apprentice and learning a trade.
I'm so jealous of the some of the contractors who pretty much said "fuck college." I know so many contractors that do either Paving, Landscape, Concrete, Masonry, just to name a few. Most of them became their own boss, and are raking in a lot of money.
They never have to worry about a student loan hanging over their heads, because they never bothered with it.

Maybe it does make you more well rounded as a person? But what pisses me off the most and makes me feel like I was scammed, is that I have a student loan for 4 years worth of college that I am still trying to pay off. Luckily for me, it's the only debt I have. Like most fields, careers, and jobs, I only needed a semester to a semester and a half worth of courses in order to learn how to do what I do now. And there is no substitute for climbing the ladder of experience, which I felt I could of done anyways.

See, I'm going to a "liberal arts" college, so the point is to enlighten you as a person, not train you for a job. Besides, I don't think there are many apprenticeships for biologists...

Guess I'm stuck.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Old 08-06-2007   #30
EmperorChaos

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Quote:
Colleges and universities are part of a multi-billion dollar industry that is in it for the money, just like drug trafficking and prostitution. There's money to be made in the field by those at the top of it (boards of directors, academic deans), those who attempt to pay for it(federal and private grants, scholarships, student loan organizations), and those who attend it(or so that hope is instilled in them).

I don't fancy paying so much money for an education I can get for free at nearby libraries. And I don't have the focus to stick with one subject.

Quote:
Originally Said by casandra View Post

jason will say i'm the queen of whoreticulteralists. but who really cares about jason's opinion anyway ;)
Technically, you ended that post in a question.

I care about my opinion. And you're not the queen of whoreticulturalists. A lot of people are whoreticulturalists. I'm a whoreticulturalist myself.

Quote:
See, I'm going to a "liberal arts" college, so the point is to enlighten you as a person, not train you for a job. Besides, I don't think there are many apprenticeships for biologists...

Guess I'm stuck.
I'm not saying this applies to you, but if people need to be enlightened by colleges and universities and not what's already around them (think urban sprawl versus the transcendental beauty of nature, among many other things) then they don't need to be thinking at all, which they probably aren't.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
Old 08-07-2007   #31
EmperorChaos

More questions you fools.

And I haven't forgotten yours Tyne. To be honest, I've had to think about who I want to include in your answer. Who are the AS girls? How can I compare what little I know of these people to Greek Goddesses?

Oh, and Tyne, I already know who you are. =P
-=-=-=-
Old 08-07-2007   #32
Nami
Tome Traveler

Nami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond repute

I am the only deity who is important.

No other deity compares to me.
Quote:

Cassandra is one of the most frustrating characters in Greek mythology to me.

Nami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007   #33
foxyphoenix

Quote:
Originally Said by EmperorChaos View Post
I'm not saying this applies to you, but if people need to be enlightened by colleges and universities and not what's already around them (think urban sprawl versus the transcendental beauty of nature, among many other things) then they don't need to be thinking at all, which they probably aren't.

Haha, definitely not. I completely agree, but it seems, especially in the science fields, that this form of enlightenment doesn't render a paycheck. Trust me, if I could make a living adoring the wonders of nature, I definitely would tell my college to go to hell.

-
Carl Sagan

-
Charles Darwin

-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Old 08-07-2007   #34
Rhylin
dulce ex animo

Rhylin is a splendid one to beholdRhylin is a splendid one to beholdRhylin is a splendid one to beholdRhylin is a splendid one to beholdRhylin is a splendid one to beholdRhylin is a splendid one to beholdRhylin is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to Rhylin

Okay my dear, I have a question for you.
A few weeks ago, Pete and I were having a debate. We watch movies strategically grouped together. EI: Pulp Fiction, Fight Club and Sin City all fit very well together, in that order.
Our dilemma comes from A Scanner Darkly. Pete has argued that it better fits with Waking Life, which is already coupled with The Yellow Submarine because the animation style closely parallels Waking Life's. I say it belongs with Spun and Chumscrubber because of the heavy drug usage and closely related storyline. So I believe my argument weighs heavily on the future of movie nights.
What is the answer, Jason?
Old 08-08-2007   #35
EmperorChaos

Quote:
Originally Said by tynie View Post
if you were to associate greek godesses with female members of almost smart, who would they be?

ladies, take note.
  • Tyne - Hebe, goddess of youth
  • Madre - Cybele, the great mother, goddess of the earth
  • Bamcubz - Artemis, goddess of the wildnerness
  • Rhylin - Athene, goddess of wisdom, warriors, and intelligence (aided Jason in his quest for the Golden Fleece, thanks babe)
  • Storm - Hecate, goddess of witchcraft (also helped Jason, thanks for the drugs)
  • Narnar - Hera, queen of the gods (also helped Jason, thanks!
  • Zanahoria_Picante - Hestia, goddess of the Hearth
  • casandra - Persephone, goddess of Spring and death.
  • Kali - Demeter, goddess of grains and fertility
I can't seem to think of any more AS members or goddesses, so if I forgot you and you're pissed about it, too bad. Maybe I'll deem you one of the muses.
Quote:
Originally Said by Rhylin View Post
Okay my dear, I have a question for you.
A few weeks ago, Pete and I were having a debate. We watch movies strategically grouped together. EI: Pulp Fiction, Fight Club and Sin City all fit very well together, in that order.
Our dilemma comes from A Scanner Darkly. Pete has argued that it better fits with Waking Life, which is already coupled with The Yellow Submarine because the animation style closely parallels Waking Life's. I say it belongs with Spun and Chumscrubber because of the heavy drug usage and closely related storyline. So I believe my argument weighs heavily on the future of movie nights.
What is the answer, Jason?
I told you. It's all about the plot, my dear yourself.

-=-=-=-=-

MORE QUESTIONS!!!!
-=-=-=-
Old 08-08-2007   #36
casandra

casandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond reputecasandra has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by EmperorChaos View Post
  • Tyne - Hebe, goddess of youth
  • Madre - Cybele, the great mother, goddess of the earth
  • Bamcubz - Artemis, goddess of the wildnerness
  • Rhylin - Athene, goddess of wisdom, warriors, and intelligence (aided Jason in his quest for the Golden Fleece, thanks babe)
  • Storm - Hecate, goddess of witchcraft (also helped Jason, thanks for the drugs)
  • Narnar - Hera, queen of the gods (also helped Jason, thanks!
  • Zanahoria_Picante - Hestia, goddess of the Hearth
  • casandra - Persephone, goddess of Spring and death.
  • Kali - Demeter, goddess of grains and fertility
I can't seem to think of any more AS members or goddesses, so if I forgot you and you're pissed about it, too bad. Maybe I'll deem you one of the muses.

I told you. It's all about the plot, my dear yourself.

-=-=-=-=-

MORE QUESTIONS!!!!
fuck yeah, queen of the underworld.. THE MAIDEN, IRON QUEEN...most badass :)
Old 08-09-2007   #37
EmperorChaos

Also, Springs. But still... that is not a question.

NEED INPUT. FOR OUTPUT.
-=-=-=-
Old 08-09-2007   #38
casandra

yeah, but who cares about springs. here is a question. how is it that the box jellyfish, has 24 eyes...can interpret and process certain images with the simple nervous system it possesses...but does not have a brain? i already know that YOU don't know the answer...but maybe pose a suggestion.
Old 08-09-2007   #39
EmperorChaos

Quote:
yeah, but who cares about springs. here is a question. how is it that the box jellyfish, has 24 eyes...can interpret and process certain images with the simple nervous system it possesses...but does not have a brain? i already know that YOU don't know the answer...but maybe pose a suggestion.
What makes you think I don't already know the answer? I know what the Ikanji Box Jellyfish (or something like that) is. It's one of the most venomous creatures on the Earth and can be found along Australia's coast, watch out stonic!!

If I'm not mistaken, their eyes are varying degrees of light-sensitive. And they use that to find prey that would be smaller than them, small enough to fit inside their bell for digestion.

You should watch some National Geographic with me sometime, Cas.
-=-=-=-
Old 08-09-2007   #40
casandra

yes...the irukandji :) also..not just prevalent in australia, but has been found off of our coast (SC)...and as far up as the coast of great britain. it has been said it can thrive in even the harshest of oceans. is excruciatingly painful, but pales in comparison to the most common/and potent box jellyfish Chironex fleckeri, accounting for many many deaths..the most poisonous animal on the planet. the jelly can see things bigger or smaller, but no one knows HOW it processes the information without a brain. :) it was a trick question. and yes i love national geographic. i have many many many magazines, and sets of dvds.