Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > General

General If it doesn't belong anywhere else it goes here.

Old 01-03-2007   #1
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

ablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to ablethevoice Send a message via Yahoo to ablethevoice
"Smoke And Mirrors"

I am a member of an organization called The Union Of Concerned Scientists which is exactly that: a group of scientists in many fields working with the help of regular citizens like me and you to promote honesty in science, accuracy in product labelling, clean energy, and other issues of global importance. I get regular e-mails from the UCS asking me to sign petitions (which I do!!) to be sent to representatives and congressmen for a variety of actions to be taken, but I havn't gotten anything as important as what I got this morning. This email said, in part:

Quote:
On January 3, the Union of Concerned Scientists released Smoke, Mirrors, and Hot Air: How ExxonMobil uses Big Tobacco Tactics to Manufacture Uncertainty on Climate Science. The report documents how ExxonMobil has underwritten one of the most successful disinformation campaigns since the tobacco industry’s 40-year effort to mislead the public about the dangers of smoking. In recent years, ExxonMobil provided close to $16 million in funding to 40 groups that question the urgency of global warming. This web of organizations disseminates the views of a dwindling group of climate change contrarians. Through this sophisticated effort, ExxonMobil has manufactured uncertainty about even the most indisputable scientific evidence on global warming. Disturbingly, ExxonMobil has drawn on the same tactics, and even some of the same organizations and people as Big Tobacco.

The report also reveals how ExxonMobil’s extraordinary influence over key officials in the White House and Congress has fueled the disinformation campaign and helped to forestall federal action to reduce U.S. global warming emissions. As the new Congress convenes in 2007, it’s time to tell our senators and representatives to reject ExxonMobil’s misleading campaign...
Now, I know I've posted stuff (Truth At Its Purest) which has light heartedly (but truthfully) showed just exactly how ExxonMobile has been "fueling" the disinformation machine (pun intended), but it's time to stop laughing and start shouting and here's your chance. CLICK HERE to go to a page where you can fill out your information and have your voice heard. I will say that thay are asking you to sign up for the UCS (as I am) and there are several levels of membership ranging from free to a few dozen dollars per month but in order to sign the petition you DO NOT need to pay a thing. I'm a (non paying) member and I've signed many petitions which have been forwarded to Washington and I feel that I have made a difference by doing so. I am asking you to do so as well...I'm 46- almost 47. Most of you are in your 20s if even that. This is YOUR WORLD we are talking about... yours and your as yet unborn kids. Don't you think you have some responsibility to act? Hell... its great that you have an opportunity to and if I were you, I'd jump on it. Oh, and a PDF of the actual report can be found here.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." —Albert Einstein

“It's fortunate for governments that people don't think." - Adolph Hitler

Sturkis akidit ("shit happens") - Latin

Bent Ears Audio Laboratories - Better Music Through Chemistry

MUSIC IS LIKE CANDY. IT'S ONLY GOOD WHEN YOU GET RID OF ALL THE RAPPERS.
))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
ablethevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007   #2
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

ablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond repute
State Of The Union: Words vs Action

I got another Email from the folks at the UCS with a commentary on GWB's latest SOTU address. I'm sorry to say I missed it (the SOTU address) but the UCS has a commentary on how Bush addressed the climate issues which are so much a part of the news these days. The page can be seen here. Hopefully GW isn't only paying lip service to the situation...

EDIT:
I just saw a very scary commercial about global warming on TV. This dude about my age is standing in the middle of a railroad track with a train barreling towards him from behind. He says, "Global warming. I hear it will be 25 years until irreversable damage occurs. Twenty five years. Why should I worry about it? It won't affect me." The train is quite close now. He unhurriedly steps off the tracks and out of the frame... to reveal a little girl about 5 years old standing behind him on the tracks with the train still fast approaching.

The last thing on the screen as it fades to black are the words THERE'S STILL TIME.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." —Albert Einstein

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)

Last edited by ablethevoice; 01-26-2007 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-27-2007   #3
Sytrohs87
goliath

Sytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Sytrohs87 Send a message via MSN to Sytrohs87
Re: "Smoke And Mirrors"

I'm going to sign up for that right now, but I think the description of the commercial was a little unnecessary, given the acceptance of global warming as a real issue on these forums :tongue

EDIT: I just sent the letter to my two senators and my congressman. John Warner is the senior republican on the committee of environmental and public works, so perhaps that will help it along, though I doubt he reads all his emails. He probably just gets some intern to do it for him like they all do, though it says he responds by regular mail to all emails. But again it's probably some generic letter he sends to everyone with a certain category question.

-The Mars Volta

"I consider the positions of kings and rulers as that of dust motes. I observe treasures of gold and gems as so many bricks and pebbles. I look upon the finest silken robes as tattered rags. I see myriad worlds of the universe as small seeds of fruit, and the greatest lake in India as a drop of oil on my foot. I perceive the teachings of the world to be the illusion of magicians. I discern the highest conception of emancipation as a golden brocade in a dream, and view the holy path of the illuminated ones as flowers appearing in one's eyes. I see meditation as a pillar of a mountain, Nirvana as a nightmare of daytime. I look upon the judgment of right and wrong as the serpentine dance of a dragon, and the rise and fall of beliefs as but traces left by the four seasons."

-Siddhartha Gautama
Sytrohs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007   #4
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

Quote:
Originally Said by Sytrohs87 View Post
I'm going to sign up for that right now, but I think the description of the commercial was a little unnecessary, given the acceptance of global warming as a real issue on these forums
I have no doubt that you folks here in AS accept the issue as real; the point I was really making was that it was a commercial on national network TV in prime time. I was hoping that someone would involuntarily glance at their young son or daughter and maybe have the first pang of guilt as they think of their SUV/giant pickup/luxury car parked out in front of the house.

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
Old 01-28-2007   #5
Pittielynn
sweet, funny and down-right CUTE!

Pittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by ablethevoice View Post
I am a member of an organization called The Union Of Concerned Scientists....
You realise your a genious right?

When you die I want half of your brain.... that came out wrong.

..you should at least lend me some for this week....I have exams.

"Be strong while it's hard and laugh at it after it's over. You just gotta live." - Spadetje

All along I believed I would find you.
Time has brought your heart to me,
I have loved you for a thousand years.
I'll love you for a thousand more...
...One step closer.
•°o.O♠O.o°•

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Pittielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #6
jb398446
Newbie Member

jb398446 is on a distinguished road

I have no idea what you are talking about...
jb398446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007   #7
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

^WHo the hell are you?
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008   #8
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

Back on topic (more or less, anyway):

I got a letter from the UCS this morning. They spoke of how liver-lipped GWB was on the issue of global warming (Now, I wish I would have watched the SOTU address last night, but I was tied up away from the TV- and Madre, please don't post any CNN video links of the broadcast because they don't work on dialup).

Anyway, here's what my UCS E-mail said:

Quote:
In his State of the Union address, President Bush failed to commit to global warming action that is sufficient to address the most urgent challenge of our time. To avoid the worst effects of global warming, the United States must reduce emissions at least 15 percent below current levels by 2020 and 80 percent or more by 2050. Instead of embracing these critical targets, the president called for $2 billion in funding to transfer clean energy technologies to developing countries. While technology transfer will help other countries reduce their emissions, the president’s commitment falls far short of an appropriate U.S. contribution in this area, especially given estimates that a global investment of at least $200 billion per year is needed. And helping developing countries is not a substitute for making real cuts in global warming pollution here at home. We can—and must—do better.

Unfortunately, the president’s weak approach to global warming is consistent with his administration’s unsuccessful attempt to derail the United Nations’ international climate negotiations in Bali last December. The administration also failed to put any specific emission reduction proposals on the table at the September meeting of its Major Economies initiative—a project it claims will help advance the U.N. climate negotiation process. The Bush administration's legacy on global warming is clear: talk a lot about leadership, but provide none.

Fortunately, other U.S. leaders don't have their heads in the sand on global warming. Numerous states are developing and implementing climate action plans, and six Midwestern states have just agreed to develop a regional initiative to limit global warming pollution, joining similar initiatives already underway in the Northeast and West. In addition, more than 700 mayors have committed to reduce their emissions seven percent below 1990 levels by 2012.

Congress is also swinging into action. Last year, Senators Joseph Lieberman (I-CT) and John Warner (R-VA) introduced a strong global warming bill that passed out of the Environment and Public Works Committee in December, and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) may schedule a Senate floor vote on the bill later this year. In the House, Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) continues to prioritize climate action and Chairman John Dingell (D-MI) is planning to craft a climate bill in the Energy and Commerce Committee. While the prospects for putting a bill on the president's desk this year are uncertain, there’s more congressional momentum than ever before.

And, of course, activists across the country are making global warming a central issue in the 2008 presidential campaign, with candidates of both parties committing to strong climate action.

The scene is set, but we need your help now more than ever. In the months ahead, UCS will alert you to important opportunities to help advance federal climate legislation. Together, we can help avoid the worst effects of global warming and restore U.S. credibility as a responsible global leader.

Sincerely,

Kate Abend
National Field Organizer
UCS Climate Program
I'll keep you all up to date on any UCS actions you can take part in as I get them.

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
Old 03-24-2008   #9
xspikeyhairx
Newbie Member

xspikeyhairx is on a distinguished road

I dont know about you but I think global warming is bs... It may be real but it is going to take thousands of years before it will actualy hurt anyone...
xspikeyhairx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #10
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

Quote:
Originally Said by xspikeyhairx View Post
I dont know about you but I think global warming is bs... It may be real but it is going to take thousands of years before it will actualy hurt anyone...
How can global warming be "real" and "BS" at the same time?? And if it is real (which it is), taking steps to reduce it NOW may reduce or eliminate anyone "getting hurt" at all. Also, if we don't do anything about it, really bad global warming effects will be apparent not in thousands of years, but decades at the most. Hell, I'm about 20 years older than you, and I watched the high desert plains of New Mexico change almost beyond recognition in the time since you have been alive...

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
Old 05-19-2008   #11
Wolfthrone
Boobie Member

Wolfthrone is just really niceWolfthrone is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Wolfthrone

Quote:
Originally Said by xspikeyhairx View Post
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: the disinformed.

Basically, on a VERY superficial level, the Chemistry of it works as follows:

-Greenhouse gases (Carbon dioxide; methane; among others) are NOT the cause of global warming, greenhouse gases are a naturally occurring phenomenon. However, the supersaturation of greenhouse gases due to factories, automobiles, and animal flatulence (among other things =P) is a main contributor to global warming, due to the greenhouse gas's ability to absorb energy and trap it on the earths surface.

-The release of chemicals into the air, such as Chlorofluorocarbons, deplete the ozone layer and do not allow it time to regenerate back. What was once 2 ozone molecules will, for the most part, become 3 regular oxygen molecules with the aid of Chlorine. Thus, you have no ozone layer to absorb the ultraviolet radiation and therefore we have both UV rays and Infrared rays blasting around us, being absorbed by greenhouse gases and ground-level ozone from car pollution etc...

It's really not a fantastic ordeal. People who say global warming isn't gonna affect us for a few thousand years are wrong, we can already see the signs of it happening. Give it a decade and you guys will be slapping yourselves. Able is right, this is OUR world. It's not like we can rely on other people to fix it, we're talking about SURVIVAL.

I'll sign up for the UCS.
Wolfthrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #12
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
Old 04-03-2011   #13
sadmemories20
Newbie Member

sadmemories20 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Said by ablethevoice View Post
I am a member of an organization called The Union Of Concerned Scientists which is exactly that: a group of scientists in many fields working with the help of regular citizens like me and you to promote honesty in science, accuracy in product labelling, clean energy, and other issues of global importance. I get regular e-mails from the UCS asking me to sign petitions (which I do!!) to be sent to representatives and congressmen for a variety of actions to be taken, but I havn't gotten anything as important as what I got this morning. This email said, in part:

Now, I know I've posted stuff (Truth At Its Purest) which has light heartedly (but truthfully) showed just exactly how ExxonMobile has been "fueling" the disinformation machine (pun intended), but it's time to stop laughing and start shouting and here's your chance. CLICK HERE to go to a page where you can fill out your information and have your voice heard. I will say that thay are asking you to sign up for the UCS (as I am) and there are several levels of membership ranging from free to a few dozen dollars per month but in order to sign the petition you DO NOT need to pay a thing. I'm a (non paying) member and I've signed many petitions which have been forwarded to Washington and I feel that I have made a difference by doing so. I am asking you to do so as well...I'm 46- almost 47. Most of you are in your 20s if even that. This is YOUR WORLD we are talking about... yours and your as yet unborn kids. Don't you think you have some responsibility to act? Hell... its great that you have an opportunity to and if I were you, I'd jump on it. Oh, and a PDF of the actual report can be found here.

Great post! It's very nice. Thank you so much for your post.
Old 04-03-2011   #14
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

^ *Highly suspicious stare*

You're like half-bot, half-human: One of the Bótebain.

Clearly, you have an advert-ise-ment in your signature (and you have The Name of Bot), yet you've created an intelligible (suspicious, but intelligible), human response. I'm not sure I understand you, stranger. o_O

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011   #15
SketchImpressions
AlmostSmart Goddess

Location: In a house, in the forest, in a strange land where people wear flannel.
SketchImpressions has a reputation beyond reputeSketchImpressions has a reputation beyond reputeSketchImpressions has a reputation beyond reputeSketchImpressions has a reputation beyond reputeSketchImpressions has a reputation beyond reputeSketchImpressions has a reputation beyond reputeSketchImpressions has a reputation beyond reputeSketchImpressions has a reputation beyond reputeSketchImpressions has a reputation beyond reputeSketchImpressions has a reputation beyond reputeSketchImpressions has a reputation beyond repute

^ freaky right!! i saw a post like this just the other day... i can't remember where, but it was very much the same.
Ironic that its in one of tom's threads since he usually weeds/ spots the bots!

"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells."
— Dr. Seuss

What we have is socialism for the rich and trickle down economics for the rest of us. I am part of the 99% of Americans left outside of Economic Elite circles...
SketchImpressions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011   #16
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by SketchImpressions View Post
^ freaky right!! i saw a post like this just the other day... i can't remember where, but it was very much the same.
Ironic that its in one of tom's threads since he usually weeds/ spots the bots!
*Thinking of satirically related Jurassic Park quotes*

Muldoon: "They show extraordinary intelligence, even problem-solving. Especially the big one. We bred eight originally, but when she came in she took over the pride and killed all but two of the others. That one... when she looks at you, you can tell she's working things out."

And yes, that's true! Quite ironic.

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;

Last edited by Zanahoria_Picante; 04-04-2011 at 02:47 AM.
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011   #17
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

Interesting. As any reg to the forum knows, your typical bot usually hits anywhere between 5 and 20 threads with some sort of semi-articulate paragraph. About every third word in the text is a hyperlink to a WOW site or gold traders or cheap online pharmaceutical products - or occasionally an online movie site (with the catch that its almost certainly not free). Although the signature is suspect, the technique is unusual. If it is a bot, it is demonstrating admirable self-restraint in posting only once.

I guess I'll keep an eye on the user.

Hey! At least it resurrected an old thread of mine

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)