Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > Media Room > Movies & TV

Movies & TV Talk about your favorite films and TV shows or find out if a new movie is worth seeing.

Old 08-28-2009   #1
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Thoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond repute
Inglourious Basterds

I can't believe there's not a thread for this yet.

This movie was quite well done. If you're a QT fan it's a must see. Be warned though, the movie is about 95% subtitled dialogue in French and German and 5% the Basterds killing people. So if you can't read, or you just want to watch an action movie, this is absolutely going to be a let-down.
Old 08-29-2009   #2
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos
Re: Inglourious Basterds

I want to see it. I read somewhere that Tarantino wanted this to be his magnum opus.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009   #3
Orgoth
Mod In Training

Orgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart god
Send a message via AIM to Orgoth

I saw it, and really liked it. Was a very good movie, especially since it wasn't historically correct.
Orgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009   #4
Wheels
Aristodemus of Sparta

Wheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond repute

Best movie since Pulp Fiction, and on par with that too. I thought it was fucking brilliant.

Its historical accuracy was like opening up a WWII textbook and taking a dump in the middle.

Whoever cannot take care of themself without that law is both.

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Live, I will kill you, If I Die, You are forgiven."

Such is the Rule of Honor.
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #5
Pittielynn
sweet, funny and down-right CUTE!

Pittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond repute

Was it really that good? Every time I go to the theaters there is a HUGE line up for this movie. I kinda want to see it, but I am a History major after all - World Wars being my strong point - I just know I will end up being really pissed off at the movie writers...

"Be strong while it's hard and laugh at it after it's over. You just gotta live." - Spadetje

All along I believed I would find you.
Time has brought your heart to me,
I have loved you for a thousand years.
I'll love you for a thousand more...
...One step closer.
•°o.O♠O.o°•

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Pittielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #6
EmperorChaos

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

^Suspension of disbelief.

I also enjoy alternate history... you should too.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
Old 09-01-2009   #7
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

Location: Randomly by chance out of nowhere, b/c that's more plausible
Funk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond repute

Initially, I had no interest in this movie, but the hype is proceeding to consume me and starting to take hold.
"God is the shaper of your heart. God does not display his work in abstract terms. He prefers the concrete, and this means that at the end of your life one of three things will happen to your heart: it will grow hard, it will be broken, or it will be tender. Nobody escapes." - Ravi Zacharias
Funk*Sonic*7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009   #8
Orgoth
Mod In Training

Orgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart godOrgoth is an Almost Smart god

If you're not sure about seeing it, here's a small tidbit, run time is about 165 minutes. If you don't want to sit through it, then see something else this weekend, not like anything good is out right now.
Old 09-02-2009   #9
EmperorChaos

^That's enough to make me not want to watch it in the theatre.

I can't be bothered to sit still for that long. I also dislike not having control of the picture. When I watch pre-recorded TV shows/movies on my DVR, downloaded shows/movies on my computer, TV shows/movies on Comcast OnDemand, or movies on DVD, I like to rewind and pause things a lot.

Unless someone gives me control of a movie theatre, I don't see that changing. I mean, I felt The Dark Knight was too long for me to sit through (but I'd been up for two days when I saw it).
-=-=-=-
Old 09-03-2009   #10
Wheels
Aristodemus of Sparta

Wheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond repute

Let me just add to Orgoths thing.

He's an idiot.

While it is 165 minutes, its very very suspenseful and doesn't at all feel like 165 minutes long. But, its all very very well put together and sucks you right into the movie, so pausing it while you go make a sandwich would ruin its effect.

See it at the cinema, you will like the fact its uninterrupted.

Whoever cannot take care of themself without that law is both.

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Live, I will kill you, If I Die, You are forgiven."

Such is the Rule of Honor.
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009   #11
Orgoth
Mod In Training

I never said I had a problem with it's run time, I was informing the general public of how long it is. I mean granted my explanation of it's run time does sound bland, where as yours makes it sound good, I wasn't trying to impose a bad impression of the movie.
Old 09-03-2009   #12
EmperorChaos

I'll just take my sandwich into the theatre with me then.
-=-=-=-
Old 09-03-2009   #13
Yugoloth
-----

Yugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Yugoloth

Quote:
Originally Said by EmperorChaos View Post
theatre
it'll be a long trip for you to take a sandwich in SC to a Theatre in Queen's England
Yugoloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009   #14
EmperorChaos

I spell things the way I think they should be spelled... which is, in my humble opinion, the correct way. The word "theatre" is Middle English and derives from Greek "theatron". Theatrical is an English word, not theaterical, therefore I feel that "theatre" is the proper pronunciation no matter how much my Firefox underlines it.

Also, "-ize" is superior to "-ise" and the British are stupid for changing it in the mid-20th century.

Words like "favour" and "colour" are also misspelled by the English because the original Latin from which they come is "favor" and "color" respectively.

There can be no compromise.
-=-=-=-
Old 09-04-2009   #15
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Thoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond repute

The company I work for spells it theatre in all official text. I refuse to do so. Because I'm an American.

Quote:
Originally Said by Wheels View Post
Best movie since Pulp Fiction, and on par with that too. I thought it was fucking brilliant.

Its historical accuracy was like opening up a WWII textbook and taking a dump in the middle.
It was nowhere near the brilliance of Pulp Fiction
Quote:
Originally Said by Orgoth View Post
not like anything good is out right now.
District 9?!
Old 09-05-2009   #16
Orgoth
Mod In Training

*sigh* I have yet to see District 9, but I do want to it looks good, sorry if I did overlook that movie. Also, Mud, you work in a movie theater, what have you heard about the movie 9? I saw the short film, but I kinda don't like that it has voice acting while the short film had no vocals which is what mad it creepy.
Old 09-05-2009   #17
Yugoloth
-----

Yugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Yugoloth

Quote:
Originally Said by EmperorChaos View Post
I spell things the way I think they should be spelled... which is, in my humble opinion, the correct way. The word "theatre" is Middle English and derives from Greek "theatron". Theatrical is an English word, not theaterical, therefore I feel that "theatre" is the proper pronunciation no matter how much my Firefox underlines it.

Also, "-ize" is superior to "-ise" and the British are stupid for changing it in the mid-20th century.

Words like "favour" and "colour" are also misspelled by the English because the original Latin from which they come is "favor" and "color" respectively.

There can be no compromise.
Exactly! Well said. "Theatre" is Middle English and "theatron" is Greek. Two languages which we aren't speaking. We speak modern American English and the proper spelling is like it's pronounced. Theater. No compromise.
Yugoloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009   #18
EmperorChaos

The Immortal Bard is displeased.
-=-=-=-
Old 09-09-2009   #19
poopy
The ?mægå Mån

poopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to poopy

i think when we conquered the english and the world, we earned the right to say that we speak english and they chew on and spit english at you.

theater!
BEWARE: When eating snacks remember that the fruit roll-up factory feels the need to endanger our lives with a potentially suffocatingly thin transluscent plastic. I am outraged and currently on my way out the door to start a petition for a boycott of any and all fruit roll-up snacks. Please send me a message or post your name, telephone number, and address, and some one will be by to get your signature. Thank You
poopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009   #20
pitcairnpete
Howdy Doodere

pitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond reputepitcairnpete has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to pitcairnpete

Quote:
Originally Said by poopy View Post
i think when we conquered the english and the world, we earned the right to say that we speak english and they chew on and spit english at you.

theater!
Note to self: try not to laugh too hard when China invades in a decade.

The film was very good and as I never went to the cinema to learn history it did not bother me. It was just an exciting film and fun to watch.

Well worth going to the cinema for it.

pitcairnpete is offline   Reply With Quote