Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > General

General If it doesn't belong anywhere else it goes here.

View Poll Results: what's your religion
muslim 5 8.62%
hindu 1 1.72%
shinto 0 0%
one form of catholic (roman catholic, eastern orthodox, etc.) 14 24.14%
protestant (lutheran, calvinist, episcopal, baptist) 4 6.90%
atheist 11 18.97%
jahova's witness 0 0%
mormon 2 3.45%
i believe in god but don't have a religious backround 1 1.72%
agnostic 6 10.34%
other 12 20.69%
jewish 2 3.45%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-21-2004   #41
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic
Re: what's your religion?

This is a bit complicated....well, not really, but whatever.

I grew up in a protestant church, Disciples of Christ. However, I'm still confused about religion in general and while I sympathize with Christians and have a family of Christians, I am not sure about what I believe right now.

I have gone to several churches/services. Catholic, Methodist, Baptist, even Jewish. However, I've found that the least amount of judgment and the most kindness comes from the Disciples of Christ people.

So, I'm a nonpracticing Disciple of Christ. It kind of sounds like an oxymoron, but there you have it.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. – Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004   #42
paperwings

paperwings is a glorious beacon of lightpaperwings is a glorious beacon of lightpaperwings is a glorious beacon of lightpaperwings is a glorious beacon of lightpaperwings is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to paperwings Send a message via Yahoo to paperwings

Quote:
If I see a higher being I'll believe it;
Do you belive in space or time?
Do you belive in the existence of time before you?
I wasnt alive when Socrates or Plato was born, but did they really exsist?
I havent seen any of the above yet i belive their existence.
Killed by the weakness, but forced to return. Turn it OFFFFFF" - AFI - death of seasons
paperwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004   #43
Deuxmakina
Well Known Member

Deuxmakina is a splendid one to beholdDeuxmakina is a splendid one to beholdDeuxmakina is a splendid one to beholdDeuxmakina is a splendid one to beholdDeuxmakina is a splendid one to beholdDeuxmakina is a splendid one to beholdDeuxmakina is a splendid one to behold

I am a Jesus Christ believer, christian if you want to name it, I recognize Jesus as my saviour and his sacrifice in the cross.
I read the Bible, I try to follow Christ's teachings. I am certain that religion just gets in the way of God and divide people.

Last edited by Deuxmakina; 12-22-2004 at 02:16 AM.
Deuxmakina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004   #44
shahrul
cool guy

shahrul is doing greatshahrul is doing great
Send a message via Yahoo to shahrul

i'm muslim......beautiful religion.
forget this post but not the sender........

me,myself,and i....
shahrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004   #45
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo

I believe in God. I believe we are god.
You can do what you want, and leave me out of it...or not.

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004   #46
Liquid
Well Known Member

Liquid has a spectacular aura aboutLiquid has a spectacular aura aboutLiquid has a spectacular aura about

I believe in all religions, yet i am not apart of any.....[logic?]

Actually Im catholic.
Is it true that mormons cant have ice tea or other caffinated drinks?
Liquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004   #47
neomp5
Dipshit for life!

neomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart god

i beleive the only choice up there that actually fits the question is "shinto".

"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear." -Thomas Jefferson

"A belief is not merely an idea the mind possesses; it is an idea that possesses the mind." -Robert Bolt

"To teach how to live without certainty and yet without being paralysed by hesitation is perhaps the chief thing that philosophy, in our age, can do for those who study it." -Bertrand Russell
neomp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004   #48
argentmoon
harajuku girl

argentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond reputeargentmoon has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to argentmoon

Quote:
Originally Said by keepitallinside
it's not so much a shortage of priests as is it a lack of dedication. also, the celibacy issue was addressed in the middle ages/renaissance era (the name of the decree just slipped my mind). prior to the decree, however, the clergy was not at all required to be celibate; actually, there was a horrifying amount of carnal depravity among them (especially the papacy...i HATE the renaissance papacy). look up lucrezia borgia and you'll see what i mean.

i would hardly think that the catholic church would have any desire whatsoever to regress its former status quo; it's bad enough with priests molesting and propositioning the "sinners" in confessionals- i would have to laugh and perhaps convert to Buddhism if they allowed sex among the clergy again.
A lack of dedication may play a role as well, but perhaps the Catholic church would be more sucessful or whatever if the priests were allowed to marry, similar to Episcopalians? Perhaps what is detering them is they are torn between their dedication to God and serving as a priest and their wish to have a family. I don't think the church would go back to its state in the renaissance were priests allowed to marry... the Protestant religions that are similar to Catholicism seem to be faring well with their religious leaders marrying. But as you stated, the celibacy issue was dealt with in a decree, which I believe are irrevocable...? So we'll have to find out the result of that in the future, ne? Also, welcome aboard AS, as I missed that opportunity to greet you. ^^; And I apologize for my giganamongus tangent!!

the spirit in me bows to the spirit in you

argentmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004   #49
notlob
rock star

Location: Some galaxy, away from the idiots that inhabit Earth
notlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to notlob

i am muslim

Check out my music here:Bandcamp, Soundcloud
notlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004   #50
Mystic Thunder
Old & Wise Member

Mystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of lightMystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of lightMystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of lightMystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of lightMystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to Mystic Thunder

are you sure Hashim. From what I remember you said you didn't believe in God. How can you be a muslim if you don't beleive in God?

I am also a muslim.
Old 12-23-2004   #51
schism-
King Cunty

schism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to schism-

Quote:
Originally Said by shahrul
i'm muslim......beautiful religion.
Not that I have anything against most muslims, but the religion itself is restrictive and very farfetched. I'd rather beleive in something that's not concocted to fit in with someones idea of a perfect society.

Please don't bomb me!
schism- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004   #52
Mystic Thunder
Old & Wise Member

Mystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of lightMystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of lightMystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of lightMystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of lightMystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to Mystic Thunder

Quote:
Originally Said by schism-
Not that I have anything against most muslims, but the religion itself is restrictive and very farfetched. I'd rather beleive in something that's not concocted to fit in with someones idea of a perfect society.

Please don't bomb me!
What do you mean by restricted.

We cant drink alchol sice it does mess the body up. And well the Veil is not just to cover up women.

I would like to hear more about your idea of Islam
Old 12-23-2004   #53
Blackass
groingrabbingly good!

Blackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Blackass

Quote:
Originally Said by neomp5
i beleive the only choice up there that actually fits the question is "shinto".
What do Shintos believe?
Blackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004   #54
Weasel
Ich lasse deine Nächte zum Tag werden!

Weasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Weasel Send a message via MSN to Weasel Send a message via Yahoo to Weasel

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

Feel lucky.

Almost Smart Admin
Email Me or PM Me

Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004   #55
neomp5
Dipshit for life!

neomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart god

your point-missing skills are truly astounding.

the question is: what's your religion?

the answers are not religions

shinto is a religion

muslim is not.

get it now?

"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear." -Thomas Jefferson

"A belief is not merely an idea the mind possesses; it is an idea that possesses the mind." -Robert Bolt

"To teach how to live without certainty and yet without being paralysed by hesitation is perhaps the chief thing that philosophy, in our age, can do for those who study it." -Bertrand Russell
Old 12-23-2004   #56
paperwings

paperwings is a glorious beacon of lightpaperwings is a glorious beacon of lightpaperwings is a glorious beacon of lightpaperwings is a glorious beacon of lightpaperwings is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to paperwings Send a message via Yahoo to paperwings

Lol mr. technical
Islam is a religion, muslim is a person who follows islam
i guess thats waht he meant.
Killed by the weakness, but forced to return. Turn it OFFFFFF" - AFI - death of seasons
paperwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004   #57
neomp5
Dipshit for life!

even then, catholicism, protestantism, atheism, jahova's witness(ism?), mormonism, and agnosticism are not religions

Old 12-25-2004   #58
2kte4u
Old & Wise Member

2kte4u will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to 2kte4u

Grew up Catholic....decided that being Buddhist was better for my life.

It's the only culture some people have left
2kte4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005   #59
keepitallinside
Trainee Member

keepitallinside will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to keepitallinside

Quote:
Originally Said by schism-

Please don't bomb me!
kind of hard to believe that you have nothing against the muslim people if you, after claiming you don't, say, "please don't bomb me!"

that's a horrible generalization and just a teensy bit inappropriate. also bit self-contradicting, isn't it?

i want to make you feel .
this
keepitallinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005   #60
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Thoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond repute

We try to ignore Schism, because he thinks himself to be radically left wing, but is actually an asshole with an overinflated head.