Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > General

General If it doesn't belong anywhere else it goes here.

Old 11-10-2004   #1
John Deere
Very Experienced Member

John Deere is a knight of Almost SmartJohn Deere is a knight of Almost SmartJohn Deere is a knight of Almost SmartJohn Deere is a knight of Almost Smart
4th Dimension

Has anyone else ever thought of the possibility of a 4th dimension? For some reason a was talking to a friend at school, and said that in his computer class they somehow got talking about the 4th dimension... and then me and him got talking about it, and then i got looking more in depth into it lol, and yeah.... im kinda confused, yet kind of interesting.... the most common thing that pops up when searching for the 4th dimension is a Hypercube, wich is basically two cubes connected, and can move in directions other than, and including up down, left right, etc. Heres a little animation i found about it...

This animation is a clear one, showing all the prior dimensions to the 4th, and its not bad quality either lol. any thoughts?

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaver.../expansion.swf

Old 11-10-2004   #2
RubberDucky55
Almost Smart Master

RubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to RubberDucky55 Send a message via MSN to RubberDucky55 Send a message via Yahoo to RubberDucky55
Re: 4th Dimension

haha, wow confusing. but pretty sweet.

but that reminds me of a story that we read in english, that was pretty cool. where this guy ended up making this cube in the third dimension, and it had a really wierd ending. haha, a bit off topic?

RubberDucky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004   #3
John Deere
Very Experienced Member

John Deere is a knight of Almost SmartJohn Deere is a knight of Almost SmartJohn Deere is a knight of Almost SmartJohn Deere is a knight of Almost Smart

lol naw, i dont think it can get anymore off topic than the 4th dimension haha, so i guess anything relates.... possibly.... i dunno.... hehe i wanna go visit the 4th dimension some day :P haha theres alot of theories about the 4th dimension.... like a 4 dimensional person could reach inside a 3 dimensional person and take something from inside of them without breaking them open, because they are a dimension advanced lol, its too confusing for me at the moment hehe but in conclusion, i think the 4th dimensions are inside and outside... it makes sense to me hehe, if something can turn inside out, right?!? lol
Old 11-10-2004   #4
Indiana Tones
Almost Smart Master

Indiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Indiana Tones Send a message via Yahoo to Indiana Tones

Yeah, I've thought about the 4th dimension before and what might go on in it. Time manipulation? Maybe wormholes lead to a 4th dimension? Utopia?

Hells if I know.
Old 11-10-2004   #5
John Deere
Very Experienced Member

lol yeah time travel seems to be "related" to the 4th dimension by alot of people... but since nothing is proven... its all in everyones heads.. including mine :P
Old 11-10-2004   #6
RubberDucky55
Almost Smart Master

RubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to RubberDucky55 Send a message via MSN to RubberDucky55 Send a message via Yahoo to RubberDucky55

haha, well. i dunno, i guess this is just more off topic, and might be ruining the story for anyone who might have wanted to read it, but i doubt anyone would. so its funny you say that, because in the story, this guy just starts working on the kind of puzzle thing he made, and its a bunch of cubes attatched that can move, and he just keeps moving them. one day he drops it, and it shatters or something, but then they all fold into one cube, with a tiny little hole. so he starts looking through the hole, and he sees a little bluish ball. he looks at it for a few seconds, and then something hits his eye and he really gets hurt. he gets mad at it, and sticks a fire poker into the hole, and it burns away. so he loses his eye to whatever stung it, but days later, this huge eye appears over the earth. everyone starts freaking out, and its there for days, and so a country finally sends up a nuclear bomb or a missile or something. so the eye disappears for a couple days. and it ended there. but you can guess what happened after that. i thought it was pretty cool.

but yeah, apparently the 4th dimension is suppose to be some kind of time thing. didnt einstien come up with that?

Old 11-10-2004   #7
John Deere
Very Experienced Member

lol it coulda been einstein... and that cube must have been a hypercube... for some reason in some of the drawings i saw, it had a hole in one side, and a ball inside of it lol, kinda like you described it ... as for why it appeard in the sky, i have no clue lmao
Old 11-10-2004   #8
RubberDucky55
Almost Smart Master

so did you get what was happening in the story? the guy was looking at the future world, which went at a much slower pace, and he eventually destroyed the world cause of the firepoker

Old 11-10-2004   #9
John Deere
Very Experienced Member

well then, moral of the story, if you can see into the future, dont poke at it lmao
Old 11-11-2004   #10
spadetje
pretty in life & pretty in death

spadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smart
Send a message via ICQ to spadetje Send a message via AIM to spadetje Send a message via MSN to spadetje

Heh, well I always learned that time was the 4th dimension. Just time, not some theory. But who knows, it's all just the way you classify our world

.TranceAddicted.
.Hardcore.Hardstyle.Trance.
spadetje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004   #11
CamX
Newbie Member

CamX is on a distinguished road

Woh there.. what's with all this 4th dimension thingy? Sounds interesting from reading your replies....
CamX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004   #12
Weasel
Ich lasse deine Nächte zum Tag werden!

Weasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Weasel Send a message via MSN to Weasel Send a message via Yahoo to Weasel

Yea, according the Einstein time is the 4th dimension. Here's an example that I always find helpful explaining it to people:

Imagine two streets that make an intersection. What are the criteria two cars traveling on different streets to slam into each other? They of course need to have the same x, y, and z position in 3-D space, but those position coordinates must occur at the same time. Therefore you can think of the position of the cars as x,y,z,t to determine if they collide.

For anyone interested in dimensions I would highly recommend the book Flatland by Edwin A Abbott. It's about characters that live in a two dimensional world. In fact, I just checked and it's out of copyright, so you can read the whole thing here:

http://www.alcyone.com/max/lit/flatland/ (not sure if it includes the diagrams or not)

Almost Smart Admin
Email Me or PM Me

Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004   #13
Wheels
Aristodemus of Sparta

Wheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond reputeWheels has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, time is the 4th dimension, however that is always moving never changing, so you could say time would be a different kind of dimension, so that there really was a fourth dimension, i think its pretty interesting,

but i guess we would never know aye?

imagine a person living in 2 dimensions, just forward and back, and side to side, if they reached a wall, they would have to go around it, they would not be able to go over it as the only live in 2 dimensions, now lets say you pick that person up, and lift him over the wall, they would have have absolutely no idea whats going on, it would scare them. same thing with our three dimensions, and a supposed "fourth dimension"
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004   #14
Weasel

Weasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond reputeWeasel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Weasel Send a message via MSN to Weasel Send a message via Yahoo to Weasel

Quote:
Originally Said by stonic
however that is always moving never changing, so you could say time would be a different kind of dimension
Incorrect. Time is dependent on speed, and when you travel at the speed of light time ceases to increase in your frame of reference. Also, you could argue the other dimensions are always changing relative to each other as well. For example, the earth is always spinning around the sun, the galaxy is always spreading away from others ala red shift, etc..

Almost Smart Admin
Email Me or PM Me

Old 11-11-2004   #15
John Deere
Very Experienced Member

So when your at the speed of light, time will stop in your frame of reference? So basically you would be moving but everything else would be stopped? But thats only in your frame of reference, and time cant be reversed, so according to the rest of the world, not in your frame of reference, you never moved? And if you could exceed the speed of light, everything would move backwards in proportion to the speed in excess to the speed of light your traveling? So IF all of this is correct, how would you be able to return to where you were before you bent time?

Sorry if i lost anyone, i lost myself too :P
Old 11-11-2004   #16
jchen927

jchen927 will become famous soon enough

Ah.. Can you explain this part:

Quote:
everything would move backwards in proportion to the speed in excess to the speed of light your traveling
I understood everything up until there.
jchen927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004   #17
Weasel

Quote:
Originally Said by John Deere
So when your at the speed of light, time will stop in your frame of reference? So basically you would be moving but everything else would be stopped? But thats only in your frame of reference, and time cant be reversed, so according to the rest of the world, not in your frame of reference, you never moved? And if you could exceed the speed of light, everything would move backwards in proportion to the speed in excess to the speed of light your traveling? So IF all of this is correct, how would you be able to return to where you were before you bent time?

Sorry if i lost anyone, i lost myself too :P
Yea, you did kind of lose me. If you travel at the speed of light in your frame of reference time would be standing still AND you would be standing still (if you were on the inside of a container with no windows you wouldn't appear to move). In an observer's frame, time would be proceeding as normal and they would see you moving very very fast. There is stuff that travels at the speed of light today though...light! Certainly light can move, and it's this useful property that lets us communicate instantly through the internet.

The rest is conjecture at this point. Einstein theorized that nothing can exceed c, 299,792,458 m/s, the speed of light. Of course if you can that would open the possibility of traveling into the past. If you did go back in time, you would be able to go forward by traveling at near the speed of light again. Remember when you travel at near the speed of light, time moves for everyone except you (i say near because v=c is the limit and is like a divide by zero error in your calculator), so its a simple calculation to figure out how many seconds you would need to be traveling for to reach whatever time in the future. There's a good article about it at howstuffworks:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/time-travel.htm

Almost Smart Admin
Email Me or PM Me

Old 11-12-2004   #18
ag0ny
Drowning in your awe

ag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to ag0ny

lol i find time travel to be irrelevant in terms of moving back in time, because it would be impossible to move back in time as to when your supposed "time machine" was invented because therefore your machine would not exist and its attributes ( travelling through time ) would be erased, and you would be caught in a paradox.

T o T h e O t h e r S i d e . . .
ag0ny is offline   Reply With Quote