Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discussion related to technology, computers, and the internet.

Old 01-26-2005   #1
Breaker
HARDENED TO THE point

Breaker has a spectacular aura aboutBreaker has a spectacular aura aboutBreaker has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Breaker Send a message via MSN to Breaker Send a message via Yahoo to Breaker
Video Game Geeks Unite!

Well, I am still new at web design and only know basic html, but here is my attempt at a website. Lost Horizons is based on a video game series called Armored Core, which is a mecha action series for the Sony Playstation. The series has been around since 1997 and is still going. I eventually want to learn how to use CSS and Flash to make the site more user friendly.
Old 02-10-2005   #2
happy2bmosher

happy2bmosher is doing greathappy2bmosher is doing great
Send a message via MSN to happy2bmosher
Re: Video Game Geeks Unite!

not bad, i would sugget getting rid of frames though they suck :P try tables, also iframes (if you really want to, i wouldnt suggest it) but to each there own also try out swish v2.0 thats good for flash when your just learning but eventually you should move over to flash mx 2004
belong to the past

I don't know where i stand
what i'm to do
Try to forget
and to find someone new

So i pray on my knees
to heaven above
Send me somebody please
somone to love

So to get to my story
lift me your hands
don't let me down
when i find someone new
happy2bmosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005   #3
Mystic Thunder
Old & Wise Member

Mystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of lightMystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of lightMystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of lightMystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of lightMystic Thunder is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to Mystic Thunder

Ah armored core. My robots shall never lose
Old 02-24-2005   #4
Breaker
HARDENED TO THE point

Breaker has a spectacular aura aboutBreaker has a spectacular aura aboutBreaker has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Breaker Send a message via MSN to Breaker Send a message via Yahoo to Breaker

Quote:
Originally Said by happy2bmosher
not bad, i would sugget getting rid of frames though they suck :P try tables, also iframes (if you really want to, i wouldnt suggest it) but to each there own also try out swish v2.0 thats good for flash when your just learning but eventually you should move over to flash mx 2004

The only problem with switching from frames to no frames is having to change a whole lot of different actual html documents. The site is approximately 1000 actual html documents large. I may eventually change things around or work on a different version of it. Any suggestions or ideas with the whole flash idea?
Old 02-25-2005   #5
ag0ny
Drowning in your awe

ag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond reputeag0ny has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to ag0ny

text and background visuals are real bad, half of the logos you cant read. i suggest bubble stretching the logos to have a more 3-D look to them, plus theres not alot of FAQ on your site, and the artwork and stuff isnt your own its all hotlinked... but all things aside not bad.

T o T h e O t h e r S i d e . . .
ag0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005   #6
Sir Kent
Sir Kunty

Sir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond reputeSir Kent has a reputation beyond repute

Frames are ok for what you have, which isn't anything spectacular but a decent start.
But once you learn the ropes more and make a more attractive site, you definitely don't want to include frames unless you can do it in a very cool way. But without frames, if you don't want to have to edit the template for each page every time you make a change, use SSI or PHP.

SSI is the easier of the two, but you can do more with PHP.

Here's a decent SSI tutorial: http://www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/ssi

PHP template tutorials are hard to come by, because you'll usually end up with a bunch of crap about programming an entire site in PHP. But you don't want that. Not now at least. Just try and look for something that relates specifically to making static layouts in PHP.

But, I have to say, you're definitely wasting your money on that .org address. Your site is good for a beginner, but it still looks like something you'd find on Geocities. Wait until you've actually got something worth paying for up before you buy a domain.