Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Debate & Politics

Debate & Politics Fight! Fight! Fight! Keep your arguments clean, and be constructive about getting your point across.

View Poll Results: Has music peaked finally?
Yes 1 5.26%
No 6 31.58%
Possibly, but it depends on how you look at it.. 12 63.16%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2005   #1
Mr Stabby
Turned out to be crazy weird

Mr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond repute
Music, is it going downhill?

right now first off, this isnt a lyrics vs music thing like that unfortunate thread before...and this isnt one for some people to just lose the plot on altogether...

NOTE: I also wanna make it cleard first, im not gonna go on a rant about my hatred for anything not rock, im not even gonna mention it here really, this is just about music pandering to certain types of consumers and the bad images that it creates....

What im asking, is has music finally peaked and now steadily going downhill?

I say this because of a thread that popped up about the black eyed peas with a new song called "My Hump" least its called that here...I think....

whats the typical age of people who listen to the black eyed peas? something like 12-18 mostly, I could be wrong but it seems like it to me..

now typically this song seems to deal with a guy spending money on his girl and about her ass, least seems that way to me by looking at the lyrics...heres an example:

Quote:
I drive these brothers crazy,
I do it on the daily,
They treat me really nicely,
They buy me all these ice-ys.
Dolce & Gabbana,
Fendi and then Donna
Karan, they be shariní
All their money got me weariní
Fly gearrr but I ainít askin,
They say they love my ass Ďn,
Se7en Jeans, True Religion,
I say no, but they keep giviní
So I keep on takiní
And no I ainít taken
We can keep on datiní
I keep on demonstrating.
is this really what is music nowadays? does this shit really sell to a market that doesnt really understand...or is the world moving so fast now that the kids of yesterday are actually being outsmarted in a street sense by the kids of today?

Quote:
They say Iím really sexy,
The boys they wanna sex me.
They always standing next to me,
Always dancing next to me,
Tryiní a feel my hump, hump.
Lookiní at my lump, lump.
U can look but you canít touch it,
If u touch it Iíma start some drama,
You donít want no drama,
No, no drama, no, no, no, no drama
So donít pull on my hand boy,
You ainít my man, boy,
Iím just trynía dance boy,
And move my hump.
again theres another part of the same song....now I've seen kids as young as 12 or I think, and their dancing and singing along to this song....do they really understand it? or does it just sound good to them...

heres another song, and again the lyrics are very close to the knuckle, I mean for one the word "nigger" appears...though sorry its "Niggaz" aint it....now without going to far, I was always taught that, that word is offensive and racist...I have black friends, and none of them EVER used that word even when talking to each other, actually another black guy said that to one of them and they got pissed off and nearly beat him for that....but no, I guess they were wrong werent they a racist word doesnt mean shit does it, and it can be used in common use, as long as your black....

anyways, heres an example of yet another song...by kayne west, gold digger its called....nice title, last time I checked a gold digger was a women (or man sometimes) who just gets with someone to use their money/fame/starus whatever....

Quote:
(She did me wrong)
Now I aint sayin she a gold digger (When I'm Need)
But she aint messin wit no broke niggaz
(She did me wrong)
Now I aint sayin she a gold digger (When I'm need)
but she aint messin wit no broke niggaz
get down girl go head get down (I gotta leave)
get down girl go head
right, now im never to clear on the "Get down girl, go head, get down"...can someone explain that one to me?
I mean it could just be me thinking it, but I duno it seems like a sexual reference right there....but like I said it could just be me...

Quote:
From what I heard she got a baby by Busta
My best friend say she use to fuck wit Usher
I dont care what none of yall say I still love her
again another part of that same song....this again is a hit song, sits at the top of the charts for a week or 2, to be replaced by something that normally isnt too disimilar really....

im sorry im ripping on alot of rap (or music of similar style) but, this is the music that is currently the biggest selling so far, with stars like Kanye West and Eminem (who coincedently is to release a greatest hits album out in this country on friday)....but to me, I honestly dont see where music is really good anymore...

I see alot in the pop charts too, with groups like Girls Aloud, singing songs written by other people, well typically thats the same with nearly all pop stars...and also madonna, who to be honest really should of packed it in a few years ago....

most of this music is either money driven, and now im talking lyrics not actually why they do it....the lyrics either go on about money making or similar, or sex.....fucking hell...

when im visiting my girlfriend in liverpool, we always ALWAYS notice girls walking bout in the fasion that the big names are wearing....now we're talking short stylish skirts and very short tops that contain what? nothing!! because these girls are hardly even in puberty...its fucking sickening to see this music and media surrounding it aiming itself at a market that is neither old enough or ready to even understand it....or maybe im wrong, maybe the do understand it, then you gotta ask yourself how?

basically it boils down to, has music really peaked, and this is all we're left with now....songs about broke niggiz and lady lumps
Old 11-29-2005   #2
Nami
Tome Traveler

Nami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Music, is it going downhill?

Quote:
Originally Said by Psychosis
[...]
anyways, heres an example of yet another song...by kayne west, gold digger its called....nice title, last time I checked a gold digger was a women (or man sometimes) who just gets with someone to use their money/fame/starus whatever....

right, now im never to clear on the "Get down girl, go head, get down"...can someone explain that one to me?
I mean it could just be me thinking it, but I duno it seems like a sexual reference right there....but like I said it could just be me...

[...]
It means do your thing.

Old 11-29-2005   #3
Mr Stabby

Mr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Blood Red
dean you are a fucking retard, i didnt read any of that, not even a letter

thats nice john, thanks....go fuck off now...

Quote:
Originally Said by Tsunami
It means do your thing.

Oh ok, thanks, that helped...guess its not what I was thinking...oh well, I change what I put then...
Old 11-29-2005   #4
schism-
King Cunty

schism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to schism-

Stop listening to shit music then. If you pay attention to shit music then of course you'll think music is shit.

I have the Downs.
Old 11-29-2005   #5
Mr Stabby

Quote:
Originally Said by schism-
Stop listening to shit music then. If you pay attention to shit music then of course you'll think music is shit.
its not so simple as that though nick, you have to admit that whenever you walk into most shops nowadays, its most times playing something that isnt rock, we cant all wish for tool of A Perfect Circle to be playing..

I did say that this wasnt a thing about me not liking them, but just a point about music in general pandering to a consumer market which doesnt understand
Old 11-29-2005   #6
Nami
Tome Traveler

Nami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond repute

Psychosis, you're a guitarist. Perhaps you should simply create "good" music and produce it. Is your band still together?

Old 11-29-2005   #7
Mr Stabby

Quote:
Psychosis, you're a guitarist. Perhaps you should simply create "good" music and produce it.
you do realise this isnt a war im staging against what I think is 'good' or not, dont you?

Im simply asking whether the music that todays society deems 'good' is actually good or whether is convaying the wrong messages and images to the youth of today...

why does no one see that?
Old 11-29-2005   #8
Nami
Tome Traveler

My apologies. I misunderstood... I still may not fully understand, actually. Yes, many of the music today is not geared towards children and therefore produces a bad image to the youth of today. Did you need validation...?

Edit: Oh, I'm beginning to understand a bit better. Do you feel the music is geared towards the youth?

Old 11-29-2005   #9
Mr Stabby

Validation? the hell...anyways...

how do we know the music isnt geared for the youth market? Can you hoenstly without a shadow of a doubt actually say that most of the music released is geared for an older market? you cant, least I dont think you cant...

most of it is media driven and unfortunatly money driven...driven to produce more records to sell to make more money, then media then shifts that on to our youth? or do they...do the artists themselves pick the target audience....do they even care that kids as young as 12 are dressing an acting like them? or do they just care about their next paycheck?

EDIT: To be perfectly honest I think this should be closed...as it does seem to be that people are looking at this, and then seeing who posted it...and as I 'always' post shit, their seeing it as such...im just waiting for jenn or neomp to start saying shit against me without reading the context of what its about...
Old 11-29-2005   #10
Narnar
your PUR-FECT enemy

Narnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond reputeNarnar has a reputation beyond repute

Music like this is created to sell. It sells easily to just hitting puberty people, let's face it, they're easily impressed by stupidity. It also sells easily to people who just don't give damn in general. The music isn't made to be good, it's made to sell. :/

The beats are catchy too, gotta have a catchy beat, so they can play it in "clubs" to stimulate people. People getting horny while drunk and "dancing" = babies coming out. Babies raised by stupid people usually aquire their stupid music taste, thus they can sell the music to their children, and theirs, and so on, and so on..
Old 11-29-2005   #11
Nami
Tome Traveler

Psychosis, my point was never to attack you or anything. My first post was in response to a question you asked. The second post was to illustrate that you have the power to take action. My third post was to try to understand your point since you seem to think I am continually attacking you. This post is to let you know that I am not attacking you and [deleted... All is well.]

Last edited by Tsunami; 11-29-2005 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-29-2005   #12
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Thoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond repute

So many people think rap music is crap. I'm not myself a fan, but I respect it just as much as I respect my preferred types of music.

It takes skill to rap, regardless of how stupid you think it is. IS IT MORE than just words set to music. Some rap is shit *cough*Lahonen*cough*, but some rock is shit too. And any other genre of music you can name.

Furthermore, those were some pretty shitty lyrics, but music really isn't all about the lyrics.

Quote:
Oh yeh, I'll tell you something,
I think you'll understand,
Then I'll say that something,
I wanna hold your hand,
I wanna hold your hand,
I wanna hold your hand.
Oh please say to me
You'll let me be your man,
And please say to me,
You'll let me hold your hand,
Now let me hold your hand,
I wanna hold your hand.
Not especially inspiring, but everyone agrees the Beatles were great.
Old 11-29-2005   #13
Mr Stabby

Quote:
Originally Said by Narnar
Music like this is created to sell. It sells easily to just hitting puberty people, let's face it, they're easily impressed by stupidity. It also sells easily to people who just don't give damn in general. The music isn't made to be good, it's made to sell. :/

The beats are catchy too, gotta have a catchy beat, so they can play it in "clubs" to stimulate people. People getting horny while drunk and "dancing" = babies coming out. Babies raised by stupid people usually aquire their stupid music taste, thus they can sell the music to their children, and theirs, and so on, and so on..
huzzah! somebody doesnt think im dumb.....or do you *squints eye at nar* lol

I forgot about the whole thing with the clubs, hell I didnt even factor in typial club music, where it is just beats...sold a to as you would put it "stupid public" so they make their money off the music, and the clubs make their money of the punters coming in the door buying drinks all night long....cos lets face it, what 18 year old goes into a club and has just 2 drinks?

Though I do see a correlation between this and domestic issues, and vandalism and common violence on the streets...least its how it seems here in the UK. Because most of the young kids commiting offenses are 90% the ones who listen to this music, and begin to think their 'thugz' and such....

I mean just as an example, how many 11 years old fans of say....metallica, do you see going out and smashing up phoneboxes and just being lil shits? im not trying to stereotype anyone, but its hardly a dumb factor to see is it...

they go on about our video games and movies, warping young minds, but if the shops or cinemas did their job right, they would get sold this stuff, granted I know they can get a game or DVD through someone else, but if you do it right at the source, at least half the issue would be cut down...
but is there a real rating on music? I know america has a rating, which I found out lately, but the UK doesnt, we just have "Parental Advisory" labels on our CD's...but the shops will still sell them to you quite happily, cos that labels only an advisement, not a law...

Quote:
Psychosis, my point was never to attack you or anything. My first post was in response to a question you asked. The second post was to illustrate that you have the power to take action. My third post was to try to understand your point since you seem to think I am continually attacking you. This post is to let you know that I am not attacking you and that I will no longer post in your thread. I just am not good at guessing games. I don't know what words you are looking for.
sorry, my bad on that, it just seemed that it was a moot point when you mentioned that im a guitarist and I should go create and produce 'good' music, it seemed in my mind an attack, sorry that I came out a lil strong on that...

im too used to people on here, or at least a small few, who constantly go on at me when I 'attack' a certain arguement and never give me the benefit of the doubt because im supposedly talking shit all the time , so again my apologies, I took what you said wrong, by all means keep posting in here, dont stop...
Old 11-29-2005   #14
schism-
King Cunty

schism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond reputeschism- has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to schism-

Oh, if this thread is about the shittiness of most popular music these days, I'll happily agree.

But good music is still out there, you can't judge something like music as a whole. You can only look at the individual parts and see if they are good or bad. You can't say the quality of music is declining just because the majority of music is trash. The good shit is still out there, waiting to be found.

I have the Downs.
Old 11-29-2005   #15
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Thoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Though I do see a correlation between this and domestic issues, and vandalism and common violence on the streets...least its how it seems here in the UK. Because most of the young kids commiting offenses are 90% the ones who listen to this music, and begin to think their 'thugz' and such....

I mean just as an example, how many 11 years old fans of say....metallica, do you see going out and smashing up phoneboxes and just being lil shits? im not trying to stereotype anyone, but its hardly a dumb factor to see is it...
I honestly have to say I don't know any eleven year olds who smash things up because they thing they're thugz.

I know some eleven year olds who smash things up for the hell of it - the same kids whose parents smash them up for the hell of it. It has nothing to do with the music they listen to, the TV they watch or the video games they play, because relatively speaking we're all exposed to the same degree of violence (I mean it can't help if they have an infatuation with serial killers and watch thrillers all day long, but we're being GERERAL here) in the media.
Old 11-29-2005   #16
Mr Stabby

Quote:
Originally Said by schism-
Oh, if this thread is about the shittiness of most popular music these days, I'll happily agree.

But good music is still out there, you can't judge something like music as a whole. You can only look at the individual parts and see if they are good or bad. You can't say the quality of music is declining just because the majority of music is trash. The good shit is still out there, waiting to be found.
ok Im gonna clarify it, as Im sorry I didnt make it too clear at the start, so my bad on that...

Im talking Popular music...not music in a complete and utter sense, but just whats succesful in todays mind, the pop culture of music if you will of today...

im sorry I didnt mean to make it look like I was judging music as a whole, shit that would take some doing, be like comaring Bach to Vanilla Ice it just would take a whole lot of shit to do that haha...

but no im talking the popular music, which by in large is what most of todays youth listen to.
Old 11-29-2005   #17
Mr Stabby

Quote:
Originally Said by MudPuppet
I honestly have to say I don't know any eleven year olds who smash think they're thugs and smash things up.

I know some eleven year olds who smash things up for the hell of it - the same kids whose parents smash them up for the hell of it. It has nothing to do with the music they listen to, the TV they watch or the video games they play, because relatively speaking we're all exposed to the same degree of violence (I mean it can't help if they have an infatuation with serial killers and watch thrillers all day long, but we're being GERERAL here).
yea but like I said, I could be sure of it in america, but I was talking more generalised in the UK, and in part only areas I've seen, I cant speak for the whole country...

I do know that im my city, and in my girlfriends city, both of which im in alot, I see lots of street violence and such, and normally its from kids, (yes real kids, not stupid mudpuppet kids j/k lol) ranging from like 10 to around 16....and why? because (now dont go quoting me) our legal system cant touch them...least I dont think so, or at least, I think its a very grey area and its hard to prosecute them or something...

so we have them doing petty vandalism, and petty lil things like that....im not saying the music they listen to is a direct influence, im just saying you see more of these lil rap loving 'thugz' about smashing things up, than you do seeing a metallica fan or a greenday fan going round breaking peoples fences and setting light to phoneboxes and such...

I know we could argue that its just a coincedence, but to me it just seems to easy to pass it off like that....all these rap stars, all show a 'hard life on the streets' when truth be known half of them are bullshitting you...but whatever thats not for debate here....so these kids, they see that 'life' and they imitate it, being the age that they are, their more prone to that kind of thing...

like I say thats just a guess, I just hate seeing things passed off to easy as a coincedence...when it can be looked at deeper..
Old 11-29-2005   #18
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Quote:
im just saying you see more of these lil rap loving 'thugz' about smashing things up, than you do seeing a metallica fan or a greenday fan...
Oh I get it...you hate black people
Old 11-29-2005   #19
Mr Stabby

Quote:
Originally Said by MudPuppet
Oh I get it...you hate black people
either your stupidity is rising, or your trying your best with subtle sarcasm...either way your an idiot...

I never actually said they were black kids vandalising things....I never once put this as a race issue at all...actually 90% of the kids I've seen causing this issue are white kids...

wheres your snappy comeback to that one, or will you think I've said something else again...
Old 11-29-2005   #20
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

I wasn't attempting to be anything, I was just saying.

I don't think music has any effect on violence in teens. If their dad's raping them every other night, they're going to be fucked up little brats whether they listen to 50 cent, Green Day, or fucking Mozart.