Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > Media Room > Music

Music Discuss the latest in music. Talk about your favorite or most hated bands and artists. Music theory, tabs, and your recordings also go here.

Old 03-14-2008   #1
Pittielynn
sweet, funny and down-right CUTE!

Pittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond repute
Song titles that have nothing to do with the lyrics

I have seen a few songs like these, and I am wondering how many are actually out there, so post the song title and some of the lyrics to show us how unlike the lyrics and titles really are!

"Be strong while it's hard and laugh at it after it's over. You just gotta live." - Spadetje

All along I believed I would find you.
Time has brought your heart to me,
I have loved you for a thousand years.
I'll love you for a thousand more...
...One step closer.
o.O♠O.o

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Pittielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #2
Pittielynn

Pittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond reputePittielynn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Song titles that have nothing to do with the lyrics

"Splash Waterfalls" - Ludacris

[Chorus: repeat 2X]
I'm bout to throw some game, they both one and the same
Cupid's the one to blame - say it (make love to me)
I'm bout to shed some light, cause each and every night
You gotta do it right - what? (touch, meee!)

[Verse One]
They want it nice and slow, kiss 'em from head to toe
Relax and let it go - say it (make love to me)
They want it now and fast, grabbin and smackin ass
You gotta make it last - what? (touch, meee!)
Together holdin hands, you out there spendin grands
And makin family plans - say it (make love to me)
Don't have to straighten facts, don't want no strings attached
Just scratches on your BACK - what? (touch, meee!)
Ex's ain't actin right, and you so glad to fight
Dinner's by candlelight - say it (make love to me)
She got a nigga whipped, down to ya fingertips
Tryin that freaky shit - what? (touch, meee!)
Turn on some Babyface, just for your lady's sake
You call her babycakes - say it (make love to me)
Know how to mack a broad, she's on your sack and balls
You call her Jabberjaws - what? (touch, meee!)

How weird is that?!

It is a catchy song though.

"Be strong while it's hard and laugh at it after it's over. You just gotta live." - Spadetje

...One step closer.
o.O♠O.o

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Old 03-14-2008   #3
Pittielynn

"The Only Difference Between Martyrdom And Suicide Is Press Coverage" - Panic! at the disco

Sit tight, I'm gonna need you to keep time
Come on just snap, snap, snap your fingers for me
Good, good now we're making some progress
Come on just tap, tap, tap your toes to the beat
And I believe this may call for a proper introduction, and well
Don't you see, I'm the narrator, and this is just the prologue?

Swear to shake it up, if you swear to listen
Oh, we're still so young, desperate for attention
I aim to be your eyes, trophy boys, trophy wives

Swear to shake it up, and you swear to listen
Oh, we're still so young, desperate for attention
I aim to be your eyes, trophy boys, trophy wives

Applause, applause, no wait wait
Dear studio audience, I've an announcement to make:
It seems the artists these days are not who you think
So we'll pick back up on that on another page

And I believe this may call for a proper introduction, and well
Don't you see, I'm the narrator and this is just the prologue ....

Panic! at the disco are full of song titles like this. I love it!

...One step closer.
o.O♠O.o

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Old 03-14-2008   #4
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

hai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Just about any tool song is like this. I can't think of anymore at the moment.
Old 03-14-2008   #5
Laughing Man X2
The cool guy.

Laughing Man X2 is a jewel in the roughLaughing Man X2 is a jewel in the roughLaughing Man X2 is a jewel in the rough

Would this count?
Silverstein, Your Sword vs. My Dagger ( It mentions a blade how do you know if there are two. Just sounds real emo to me...)

I'm cutting through
You’re bleeding out
And I would tell the truth
But I can’t help myself

red rushes out, dissect this nerve
And I will stop myself
Before I reach my cell

I wasn’t asking for the world
And I know that I’m not one to follow through

All these city streets
The people look the same
And I can see your face
And I can hear your name

Your stabbing in
permanent scars
And you’ll justify
it all inside yourself
You’ve finishED me
my pulse is gone
And you're satisfied to put this all to hell

All these city streets
The people look the same
And I can see your face
And I can hear your name

Drink the poison when you think it’s over
Stabbing yourself when you think it’s too late
Tragic endings are your thing
You love them
You love letting go
The endings the same
Drink the poison when you think it’s over
inevitable, Verona lives inside of you

All these city streets
The people look the same
And I can see your face
And I can hear your name

- borrowed from The Art of War with a little twist on top ^_^

Here's something a tad less smart:

" If I had a dollar for every brain you didn't have, I would have one dollar..."

I'm on MySpace: Myspace.com/xfinalhydrax
Laughing Man X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #6
The-Chadster
truth is more important than facts

The-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart god

Just about anything from Panic!

But a lot of times you might not be able to tell the correlation between the lyrics and the title because they are meant metaphorically. Like Boiled Frogs by Alexisonfire. The song is about a man working his life away. That doesn't seem like it has anything to do with frogs, but i went to a song meanings site, and someone said that if you throw a frog into a pot of boiling water it will jump out, but if you put the frog in a pot of cold water, and turn up the heat, it won't jump out. I forget how he related that to the man in the song, but you get the idea.

AFI: A Winters Tale, Fall Children, Lower It, Third Season, He Who Laughs Last, The Boy Who Destroyed the World, The Nephilim, Smile, Porphyria Cutnea Tarda, God Called in Sick Today, 37mm, Now the World, Rabbits are Roadkill on Route 37, Synesthesia, and I am sure there are more.
Alexisonfire: Drunks, Lovers, Sinners and Saints
Angels and Airwaves: Valkyrie Missile, Start the Machine
Atreyu: My Sanity on the Funeral Pyre, Nevada's Grace, Five Vicodin Chased With a Shot of Clarity, Untitled Finale, Doomsday
Blaq Audio: Stiff Kittens

More later maybe.
John 8:28 Then Jesus said unto them, When ye lifted up the Son of man, then yee shall know that I am He, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

So clap your hands to the sound
Of every first born dying now
Watch the rivers flow with blood
Death will stand where life once stood
The-Chadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #7
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic

The lyrics to the Goo Goo Dolls' 'Iris' have nothing to do with the title.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008   #8
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Quote:
Originally Said by The-Chadster View Post
AFI: A Winters Tale, Fall Children, Lower It, Third Season, He Who Laughs Last, The Boy Who Destroyed the World, The Nephilim, Smile, Porphyria Cutnea Tarda, God Called in Sick Today, 37mm, Now the World, Rabbits are Roadkill on Route 37, Synesthesia, and I am sure there are more.

Fall Children?
Various references to autumn and a "hallowed" night that occurs in what season?

The Nephilim?
"I remain in shadows growing wings.
The spirit song still surrounds me, in refrain, in shadows growing wings.
Like an angel with two broken wings, reach the sky again.
Like a devil, meant for better things, I will find my place on high."
Seems like it's mention the Biblical "nephilim" right there.

Porphyria Cutanea Tarda?
The songs all about darkness. What's Porphyria Cutanea Tarda? It's a disorder in which one's skin is overly sensitive to sunlight... and it's commonly associated with vampires and werewolves.

Smile?
"Overwhelmed with a deep repulsion for sights seen so commonly"
Weren't we just atlking about how fake some people's smiles are?

Third Season?
Another song about fall... and the seasons are in order: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter.

I don't know most of the other songs/artists you listed or the song title doesn't have a meaning that I am aware of.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008   #9
The-Chadster
truth is more important than facts

The-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart god

Quote:
Originally Said by The-Chadster View Post
But a lot of times you might not be able to tell the correlation between the lyrics and the title because they are meant metaphorically.
I just went through Windows Media Player and looked at the songs and thought for a second about it. I didn't really go through all the lyrics. I'm sure there are more. But i was in a hurry cuz i had to be at work in a little bit. But like Porpyria, i didn't think about that. I looked the title up a while ago, so i knew what it meant. I just didn't get it. And smile, i didn't catch that either. I thought since they were like angry/evil lyrics that they used smile to be ironic.
In fall children i didn't take Fall to mean the season. Yeah, but i have been really tired and have had a horrible pulsating headache all day, so focusing on just about anything has been absolute torture.
John 8:28 Then Jesus said unto them, When ye lifted up the Son of man, then yee shall know that I am He, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

So clap your hands to the sound
Of every first born dying now
Watch the rivers flow with blood
Death will stand where life once stood
The-Chadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008   #10
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

Chop Suey - System of a Down

The majority of my music, actually, as the songs have titles but no lyrics...

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008   #11
ROSEWITHTHORNS

ROSEWITHTHORNS is a jewel in the roughROSEWITHTHORNS is a jewel in the roughROSEWITHTHORNS is a jewel in the rough

I write sins not tragedies. by Panic! at the Disco.
Old 04-27-2008   #12
Pittielynn

Unkle Bob' "Swans"

By my side,
you’ll never be.
By my side,
you’ll. never. be.

'Cause I’m fake at the seams,
I’m lost in my dreams, and
And I want you to know,
that I can’t let you go.

And you’re never coming home again,
And you’re never coming home again.

By my side,
you’ll never be.
By my side,
you’ll. never. be.(x2)

I wanted to tell you I changed.
I wanted to tell you that things would be different this time.

I see you, you see me,
Differently.
I see you, you see me,
Differently.

You tell me that you love me but you never want to see me again. (x4)

I've come to the conclusion that artists love writing songs like this just to confuse everyone.

...One step closer.
o.O♠O.o

Almost Smart Store
Almost Smart Arcade
Old 04-27-2008   #13
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

Location: Randomly by chance out of nowhere, b/c that's more plausible
Funk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Jenn and tonic View Post
The lyrics to the Goo Goo Dolls' 'Iris' have nothing to do with the title.
Huh?

It's a simple but fairly powerful love song done in 3/4 waltz time signature. "Iris" in this song can be perceived as a flower or a part of rainbow, but are really metaphors for a certain woman named Iris. It explains how you can feel about someone (in this case, Iris), without her (or anyone) knowing. He desperately wants to tell her (Iris) how he feels, but doesn't know how she (again, Iris) will react.

Side note: It's a good song by the way, but a far stretch from how crazy punk metal these guys used to be before they made it big.
They're from my hometown and when they would play out, people used to actually start mosh-pits to the Goo Goo Dolls music.
Johnny Resnick used to also make his money by running a portable hot dog stand on the corners of streets where all the bars and nightclubs are located. These guys literally started from having almost nothing.
"God is the shaper of your heart. God does not display his work in abstract terms. He prefers the concrete, and this means that at the end of your life one of three things will happen to your heart: it will grow hard, it will be broken, or it will be tender. Nobody escapes." - Ravi Zacharias

Last edited by funksonic7; 04-27-2008 at 07:52 PM.
Funk*Sonic*7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #14
notlob
rock star

Location: Some galaxy, away from the idiots that inhabit Earth
notlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond reputenotlob has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to notlob

everything by system of a down... everything... except maybe 'the prison song' heheh

Check out my music here:Bandcamp, Soundcloud
notlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #15
Nami
Tome Traveler

Nami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond reputeNami has a reputation beyond repute

Don't Go Off Wandering - Limp Bizkit

Nami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #16
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by funksonic7 View Post
Huh?

It's a simple but fairly powerful love song done in 3/4 waltz time signature. "Iris" in this song can be perceived as a flower or a part of rainbow, but are really metaphors for a certain woman named Iris. It explains how you can feel about someone (in this case, Iris), without her (or anyone) knowing. He desperately wants to tell her (Iris) how he feels, but doesn't know how she (again, Iris) will react.
No. He's done interviews in which he says that he picked the name of the song after he wrote it. He was flipping through a magazine and found a picture of a model, Iris DeMent and liked the name, so he named his song Iris.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-28-2008   #17
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

Funk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No. He's done interviews in which he says that he picked the name of the song after he wrote it. He was flipping through a magazine and found a picture of a model, Iris DeMent and liked the name, so he named his song Iris.
That doesn't disprove anything Jenn, or should I say Ms. Wikipedia
"God is the shaper of your heart. God does not display his work in abstract terms. He prefers the concrete, and this means that at the end of your life one of three things will happen to your heart: it will grow hard, it will be broken, or it will be tender. Nobody escapes." - Ravi Zacharias
Old 04-28-2008   #18
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Yes, it does. He has said that the name of the song is in no way connected to when he wrote the lyrics, and that if people WANT to glean meaning, that's their prerogative. If the person who wrote it says that the title has nothign to do with the meaning, I tend to believe them.
Old 04-28-2008   #19
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

Quote:
Yes, it does. He has said that the name of the song is in no way connected to when he wrote the lyrics, and that if people WANT to glean meaning, that's their prerogative. If the person who wrote it says that the title has nothign to do with the meaning, I tend to believe them.
And where is your proof?
Old 04-28-2008   #20
Drogdar
The one and only.

Drogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond reputeDrogdar has a reputation beyond repute

uhmm...

almost every gorillaz song O_o

(about 80-90% of their songs)

Quote:
Originally Said by foxy View Post
...@ @...
...( _ )...
(\( ... )/)
m mm m

OBEY HYPNOTOAD
Quote: