Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > The Blog

The Blog Post the crazy happenings in your life here. If it's interesting enough it may be moved to the main news page.

Old 05-21-2010   #1
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian
Waiting for the flood to come

The eastern part of Europe had some tough luck with the weather for the last days. It all started with a V-b weather situation, that brought lots of rain with air-masses coming from the Mediterranean Sea, combined with another situation that brought even more rain coming from north a few days later.

The whole situation resembles a bit those, that lead to the mayor flood of 1997, that was called to be the high tide of the (last) century. Such a V-b weather situation was the reason for Elbe-flood (another East-German river) of 2002.

News:
Quote:
Floodwaters heading towards Germany
Published: 19 May 10 17:39 CET

Deadly floods that have hit eastern and central Europe are expected to reach Germany over the weekend though with less intensity, authorities said on Wednesday

Photo: Army officials checking Oder dikes.

High water will reach the German section of the Oder River in the eastern state of Brandenburg over the Pentecost holiday weekend, according to projections based on measurements near Racibórz, the most southerly water gauge on the Polish section of the river.

Levels there remained high but constant on both Tuesday and Wednesday, according to the Brandenburg state environmental agency. At 8.84 metres high, they are still about 1.6 metres below levels that caused devastating floods in 1997.

Though upriver gauges in central Poland water showed levels above high water warning levels on Tuesday, the Brandenburg agency said it did not expect an equally bad surge by the time the floodwaters reach Germany.

Heavy rains near the Oder headwaters and beyond have been blamed for massive flooding in southern Poland. In Krakow hundreds of people had to be rescued after a dam on the Vistula River broke.

Meanwhile at least seven people were reported dead and thousand left without electricity or evacuated in Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Serbia and Hungary.

[TheLocal]
Right now the flood is reached Warsaw (Poland) and is now expected to reach Brandenburg along the river that goes through my old home town on Wednesday.

And now the 'bad' part .. for me:

Being in Germany's disaster relief organization, the THW, I am supposed to help and to keep the dikes from collapsing.

For that, I got (myself ('voluntary')) reported to be ready to get my stuff packed to return to my unit to group up so and to drive to wherever we needed. Wherever that is and what we will do -or if we get called out at all- is uncertain. It could be everything and everywhere.. From watching the dike, piling sandbags, sleeping in a tent or acquiring a hotel.. who knows.

We could be ordered to invade to drive and help somewhere deep in Poland, too. Our neighbors got hit pretty bad by the floods already days ago, ..since Monday, to be precise

For that, I have to be in attendance and ready to be called to go, beginning from Friday, 11:00- that is in 4 hours from now.

My Group leader already told me on the quite that it won't be bad to have my stuff packet with stuff to 'survive' at least a week (a toothbrush and a second pair of boxers, if the one you wear rips ). Now I have to tell my docents that I'll be eventually missing for a while in the classes I attend. Well, that -at least- is covered and granted by the state, means: they have to let me go by law.

Happy sandbag filling, here I come..
- eventually.. waiting sucks.

I'll see..

Last edited by Christian; 05-21-2010 at 01:26 AM.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010   #2
Psychosis
*Watch This Space*

Psychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Waiting for the flood to come

hahaha I love the poland thing...rep for that man...

anyways, good to see your finally being put to use...we keep seeing the pics of you in uniform etc...now you'll be in action *shock* lol...nah seriously though hope things dont get too rough out there, I remember when like the west of england an shit got hit with floods in the last few years ripped up lil villages an shit like nothing..

Psychosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010   #3
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of it, I got a call just a few hours ago.

My group leader was on it telling me that, if everything goes well (what actually means the opposite) that I'll get called on Sunday to go to my unit, so we -my group- will be ready to drive to..

..Poland.

I eventually get called on Saturday already, or maybe not at all, if we won't be needed anymore (cause it's not as bad as expected.. or whatever.. politics and that..)

The worst thing is the uncertainty. I have no clue what is awaiting me.. I have no idea where we will sleep nor in what area of Poland. I got told to bring my sleeping bag what means we eventually sleep in a big tent.. or on our car. I don't own a sleeping bag. We don't even know what we will have to do.. It can be everything from watching the dikes over to filling sand bags to driving a boat and picking dead stuff up or evacuate people.. People who's language I (as well as ALL the others of us) don't speak. They eventually speak ours; In fact: a lot of polish people learned German.

So yea.. right now I'm getting my backpack ready to march in, ..eventually.. yay uncertainty.
To say it with the words of a well know underwater being: "I'm ready! I'm ready! I'm ready.." ..but for what..

By the way, it's not the first time I'm in action, though. Got into some stuff already, but it's the first time I'm 'on a Mission' then a day. Had been already in a collapsed house after a gas explosion, in a 5-floor house that we had to keep from collapsing after a fire, a few rain-storms and Kyrill

Will see how this will be.. if I see.

How will I survive that long without Internet? .. A whole week
Old 05-26-2010   #4
Christian
Super Moderator

Well... nothing new yet, I didn't called so far. Will see what happens, the flood now is reaching Germany and my old hometown:

Quote:
Brandenburg braces for floods
Published: 25 May 10 09:14 CET

Dikes along Germany's eastern Oder River are strong enough to handle approaching floodwaters from Poland, but the situation remains tense, the Brandenburg environmental authority said on Tuesday.

Many regions in neighbouring Poland have been evacuated following more than a dozen deaths due to flooding. Accordingly, the head of the authority Matthias Freude told broadcaster ARD the coming days will “with certainty not be easy” for Brandenburg residents downriver.

On Monday, Oder water levels reached the first warning level at a measuring station near the city of Frankfurt an der Oder, with levels some 20 centimetres higher than the day’s previous measurements. Freude said he expected the second level or higher to be breached by week’s end.

Floodwaters could also threaten the banks of the Neiße, a nearby tributary of the Oder.

As the floods approach, the Brandenburg state catastrophe protection agency will meet on Tuesday in Potsdam for emergency talks on how to prepare for the situation.

Over the weekend in Poland waters reportedly rose by a metre in just 24 hours as streets and homes in several cities flooded. On Saturday a provisional dam broke in Wrocław.

Meanwhile dikes along the Vistula River, which goes through the Polish capital Warsaw, have burst. Police in the country reported on Tuesday that at least 14 people have been killed by the floods.

[TheLocal]
Quote:
High water reaches Brandenburg early
Published: 26 May 10 08:44 CET

Floodwaters from Poland have arrived in eastern Germany earlier than expected, hitting the second-highest warning level and rising, officials said on Wednesday morning.

Following floods upriver, the Oder River and its tributary the Neiße in the state of Brandenburg began swelling on Monday. By 8 am on Wednesday, the high water alert centre in Frankfurt an der Oder reported that river levels had increased some 10 hours before expected.

The highest alert level could be breached by Thursday, the centre said.

Safety protocol for the current level dictates that dikes, watercourses and dams must be observed constantly for damage.

Ratzdorf, a town on the Oder river near the Polish border is in a particularly critical position, Brandenburg's Environment Ministry officials said. There water levels increased by 60 centimetres in just 24 hours by early Wednesday, and could reach the highest warning level on Thursday morning, when flooding will become a serious danger.

But any flooding will not be as severe as the devastating high waters of 1997, because they will be short-lived, the ministry predicted.

Many regions in neighbouring Poland have been evacuated following more than a dozen deaths due to flooding. The head of the Brandenburg environmental authority Matthias Freude told broadcaster ARD on Tuesday that the coming days will “with certainty not be easy” in the state.

Over the weekend in Poland waters reportedly rose by a metre in just 24 hours as streets and homes in several cities flooded. On Saturday a provisional dam broke in Wrocław.

Meanwhile dikes along the Vistula River, which goes through the Polish capital Warsaw, have burst. Police in the country reported on Tuesday that at least 14 people have been killed by the floods.

[TheLocal]
Other units of THW, about 60 men and woman, are already in Poland to help. I'm still alarmed but have to see what happens. Waiting sucks.
Old 05-26-2010   #5
Christian
Super Moderator

This is just in:

The highest alarm stage 4 got announced just a few minutes ago as the water level reached a high of 5.90 meters (19.4 feet) at the measuring station at Ratzdorf (second image in the post above).

My hometown, Frankfurt, is save to a high of 6 meter (19.6 feet), I heard somewhere. It will take some time to reach that gage in Frankfurt, though.
Old 05-30-2010   #6
Christian
Super Moderator

A dike broke, in Poland I think.. Just got called and have to go..

See you in a week.. or so. Wish m luck!
Old 05-30-2010   #7
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck!

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010   #8
Hamana
jaaa, klar.

Hamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Hamana Send a message via Yahoo to Hamana

Good Luck!! Don't forget your Schwimmärmel!

Hamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010   #9
Christian
Super Moderator

Am back, survived, got some tan and some huuuuge blisters on my feet.. in fact: I walked bare feet over the dikes and through nice polish villages for the last three days..

I think I'll write a story about it some-when soon, with photos and that.. have to hit the hey now.

Quote:
Originally Said by foxyphoenix View Post
Good luck!
Thanks! It helped a lot as it seems. Had a good place to stay and lots of food to eat the whole time. ^_^
Quote:
Originally Said by Hamana View Post
Good Luck!! Don't forget your Schwimmärmel!
And my Quietscheente.