Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > AlmostSmartism > Front Page > Back Page News

Back Page News Not quite front page material.

Old 04-30-2010   #1
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian
Preparing for the riot

Right now, more then 7000 policemen came from all over the country Berlin, to face the 'traditional' riots, caused by left- and rightists (antifascists against neo-nazis and vice versa) around May 1st. Hundreds and hundreds of police cars can be made out everywhere, watching the usual trouble districts and hot-spots of the city.

Politicians as well as the police forces are in fear that the level of violence will rise once more. They are afrait that not only stones will be thrown, but also use Molotov cocktails as they already did last year. It's surprising no one died directly related to the excesses yet (as far as I know).

Couldn't find any good articles written in English about it and its problematic nature yet, ..but maybe those two:
Quote:
Upping the Antifa: Leftist riots feared for May Day

A recent surge in politically motivated violence by leftist radicals has German authorities holding their breath ahead of May 1, the traditional day of worker protest. David Wroe reports on the simmering anger on the far left.

In radical left-wing circles they’re known as “sport groups” – teams of young men whose game is beating up neo-Nazis.

[..]

In Berlin, which along with Hamburg is the main leftist flashpoint, the figures are more dramatic still: an 87 percent jump in crime and a 144 percent rise in violent crime, according to figures supplied to The Local by the capital city’s domestic intelligence agency, the Verfassungsschutz.

[..]

Leftists bristle at the suggestion that increasing violence is in danger of making them as bad as the neo-Nazis they hate. As Lukas the former “sportsman” puts it: “The difference is that we don’t go around beating immigrants. And I don’t see a problem with attacking people who do.”

Yet left-wing radicals’ defence that they only attack property, neo-Nazis or symbols of the state – including police during demonstrations – is fiercely rejected by authorities and by the police union.

“Last year on May 1 in Berlin, police were deliberately attacked to a degree that could have had fatal consequences,” police union head Rainer Wendt told The Local.

“In their expressions of violence, the extreme left and extreme right are barely distinguishable from one another.”

[Full Article][TheLocaL]
Quote:
Politicians bicker over police attacker penalties

With riots expected at the annual May Day festivities in Berlin and elsewhere, Germany's centre-right coalition government bickered on Monday over whether harsher punishments should be enacted against those who attack police officers.

Head of the parliamentary interior committee and member of Chancellor Angela Merkel’s conservative Christian Democrats (CDU) Wolfgang Bosbach called for maximum sentences for violence against police to be raised from two to five years.

In an interview with daily Die Welt, the politician accused Justice Minister and member of junior coalition party the Free Democrats (FDP) Sabine Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger of trivialising the problem. The minister’s plans to change punishments against such offenders don’t go far enough, he said.

[..]

“Those who partially or completely damage a police vehicle are threatened with five years in prison according to current law. Those who injure a police officer are only threatened with two years. That is absolutely incomprehensible,” Bosbach said.

[..]

May 1st, also known as May Day, is the traditional day of protest for leftists and has traditionally led to violent clashes between protesters and police, particularly in the Berlin districts of Kreuzberg and Friedrichshain.

The police union warned recently that in the face of security gaps and overstretched police, the mounting threat of radical political violence could explode on this day and possibly lead to deaths and hundreds of injuries.

[Full Article][TheLocaL]
Am asking myself how it will end this year, we will see.

Yet I wonder if I should go to one of those hot-spots and watch the 'spectacle' with some distance.. but knowing my luck, I'll be the first one, getting hit by a stone.. or a nightstick (especially as I look really suspicious with my backpack ^^) . So i might better stay home .

Some videos of earlier years:
[Peacefull demonstration 2009][Riots 2009 Part 1][Riots 2009 Part 2][Another Video]
[Some excesses from 1999]
--
Edit: A [Video] taken just a bit ago.
I love Youtube! :D

Last edited by Christian; 04-30-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010   #2
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo
Re: Preparing for the riot

lol. good to see the middle finger means what it means, even half way across the world. lol

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010   #3
GoddessDivine
I move the stars for no one.

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine

so are you going to be on duty as a fireman just in case a fire breaks out?
-Obi Wan

GoddessDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010   #4
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

^ Nope.

I'm neither a firemen nor in an organisation that is supposed for that kind of job. We might get called to make some light to illume the 'battlefield' up in front, though, or to provide some energy using our emergency-generators. We also could get called for help if something really bad happens.. like if a building decides to collapse..

We're a disaster (and technical) relief organisation, and not cops, or firemen. Am not that much into being pelted with stones anyways ^_^
Old 05-01-2010   #5
GoddessDivine

GoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond reputeGoddessDivine has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to GoddessDivine Send a message via Skype™ to GoddessDivine

ahhh! I would think you guys would still be present if there are going to be riots. How far are you from said hotspots. It would be horrible to have your house attacked or a family/friend

if i were you i would steer clear from any riots, unless you want to get some free stuff or stitches
-Obi Wan

Old 05-01-2010   #6
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Oooh, I want to play dress up and pretend I have political beliefs too!
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010   #7
GoddessDivine

i thught you already did...well not the dressing up part *shazam*
-Obi Wan

Old 05-01-2010   #8
EmperorChaos

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Ha! I have no political beliefs anymore. I'm just waiting for my time to run out.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
Old 05-01-2010   #9
GoddessDivine

the fish will be your bane
-Obi Wan

Old 05-01-2010   #10
EmperorChaos

^You do realize that no one will know what you're talking about. You and I and several others may be online right now and might get it... but people who read it later... no idea. NO FUCKING CLUE DANA.
-=-=-=-
Old 05-01-2010   #11
GoddessDivine

they might think you fuck fish...its anyone's guess at this late hour, but seriously i cannot be held accountable for what people think if they do not read all the recent posts.
-Obi Wan

Old 05-01-2010   #12
Christian
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Said by GoddessDivine View Post
ahhh! I would think you guys would still be present if there are going to be riots. How far are you from said hotspots. It would be horrible to have your house attacked or a family/friend

if i were you i would steer clear from any riots, unless you want to get some free stuff or stitches
Well, only to support police forces, acting in the background, maybe (like making light, providing energy). Think of us as some kind of advanced firemen, but without fire related things (except big explosions/forest fires/etc).

I couldn't be away any further from the hotspots. I live in the more bourgeois-like south-west of the city. Its always calm here.

A friend of mine had a friend who lived right at one of the places where the troubles/riots use(d) to start. He said it was fun to spend the evening sitting with beer and BBQ on the balcony, watching the cops hunting the mob or and the mob the cops, depending on whoever came in superior numbers at that moment.

Would have loved to join them this year ^_^

Anyways..
It seems Berlin got off lightly last night, but therefore riots struck Hamburg:
Quote:
Hamburg sees first May Day clashes

In the night before May Day, clashes between police and leftist demonstrators in Hamburg left 14 people injured. In Berlin, however, the feared violence did not materialize.

Friday night's violence in Hamburg was centred around the city's Schanzenviertel neighborhood, where according to police some 150 left-wing demonstrators lit a bonfire in a street outside a youth centre, threw bottles and stones at police, and damaged a bank branch.

At least 14 people were injured in the clashes, including a passer-by who was taken to hospital after being hit on the head by a flying rock. In addition, thirteen police officers and three police dogs sustained injuries. Seven rioters were arrested.

Hamburg's Schanzenviertel neighborhood has been the scene of similar May Day clashes in recent years.

In Berlin, however, the night passed comparatively uneventfully, despite fears that the levels of May Day violence could be high this year. Berlin police reported that the around 4,000 people celebrating Walpurgis Night in the streets of the German capital did so relatively peacefully.

At Berlin's Boxhagener Platz in the Friedrichshain neighborhood, a few bottles and beer cans were thrown at police, but the large contingent of officers on the scene kept the situation under control. Several inebriated people were arrested but no injuries were reported.

The situation thus far has been markedly calmer than in 2009, when violence on the May Day weekend returned to the capital with a vengeance. Last year some 500 officers were injured and just under 300 people arrested.

For May Day itself, Saturday, police have prepared several large-scale operations aimed at heading off possible violence. A march by around 3,000 neo-Nazis is planned while some 10,000 left-wing anarchists are expected to gather in Berlin's Kreuzberg, an ethnically diverse, left-leaning neighborhood.

Police will try to keep the two demonstrations separate and are deploying 6,000 officers in the streets. Police reinforcements from other federal states have been sent to the capital.

[TheLocal]
Old 05-01-2010   #13
Psychosis
*Watch This Space*

Psychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by GoddessDivine View Post
they might think you fuck fish...its anyone's guess at this late hour, but seriously i cannot be held accountable for what people think if they do not read all the recent posts.
And we didnt think he already fucked fish?

Psychosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010   #14
Hamana
jaaa, klar.

Hamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Hamana Send a message via Yahoo to Hamana

Quote:
Originally Said by Christian View Post

I couldn't be away any further from the hotspots. I live in the more bourgeois-like south-west of the city. Its always calm here.

Would have loved to join them this year ^_^
Did you at least dance around the Maypole?

Hamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010   #15
Christian
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Said by Hamana View Post
Did you at least dance around the Maypole?
No. Germans don't dance. (That's an excuse I use; at least ) ^_^

Berlin was dead lucky this year, compared the the violent excesses of 2009 at least. Nothing too serious happened in the riots that occur annually in the nights around may the first. Nothing serious except a few brawls between cops and demonstrators that left 6 cops and a fireman (A paramedic as far as I heard) injured after they got hit by stones:

Quote:
May Day clashes in Hamburg and Berlin

Clashes between far-left demonstrators and police overnight on Saturday in Hamburg and Berlin left at least six officers and a firefighter injured, according to police. But the capital was quieter overall this year than in 2009.

After mostly peaceful demonstrations against neo-Nazi marches during the day on Saturday, rioting broke out at night as police used water cannons and batons against left-wing and anarchist protesters.

In Hamburg, police used water cannons after demonstrators began throwing rocks and bottles at officers. Some in the far-left crowd also looted a drugstore, broke windows at several businesses and vandalised two bank branches. Cars were overturned and barricades lit on fire.

Police responded with a baton charges to especially violent groups of youth. Five officers were injured along with a firefighter.

The violence was concentrated in Hamburg's Schanzenviertel neighbourhood and police operations to calm the area lasted until early Sunday morning. Police report that 21 people were arrested and 8 taken into custody. Some 1,200 officers from the city's own forces and the state and federal police were deployed.

In Berlin's Kreuzberg district, police also used water cannons and baton charges against rampaging demonstrators. Youth from the left-wing scene threw rocks, bottles and firecrackers at police, injuring one.

Despite the clashes, police reported that this May Day in Berlin was more peaceful than in 2009, when rioting left 500 police injured and resulted in close to 300 people being arrested. This year police attempted to remove troublemakers from the crowd early.

Police reported no serious May Day-related violence in other German cities.

[TheLocal]
Another and (maybe) interesting article:
Quote:
Thousands protest neo-Nazis on May Day

More than ten thousand demonstrators demonstrated against neo-Nazi marches on Saturday across Germany. Around 200 extreme right wingers were detained.

Fearing riots, police across Germany made efforts to separate leftist and neo-Nazi demonstrators in several cities across Germany.

In Berlin, neo-Nazis and people from the far-left spent hours vying for control of May Day demonstration routes through the German capital, although by early evening on Saturday, confrontations had mostly ended peacefully.

Violence, with brawls between leftists and rightists, burning barricades and damage to banks and shops, has been an annual ritual on May Day for more than two decades in Berlin, Hamburg and other German cities.

In Berlin, about 500 of the far-rightists marched through a northern district of the capital, although they were outnumbered by thousands of opponents.

Police had expected around 3,000 neo-Nazis to march, and some 7,000 police were deployed along with a water cannon.

Leftists claimed 10,000 people had turned up to confront the neo-Nazis.

Their 6-kilometre route had been approved by police under German
laws protecting the constitutional right of everyone to demonstrate.

The far-right march began two hours late after leftists blocked the road. Riot police roughly handled some of those obstructing the route, among them the deputy speaker of the German parliament, Wolfgang Thierse, a Social Democrat.

But at one point, police made the right-wing marchers turn around after it became clear they could not clear the streets along the entire route.

Another 300 far-rightists, including people from Spain, Italy and the Czech Republic, suddenly showed up in western part of the city, apparently intent on an unauthorized march down Kurfürstendamm boulevard. Police reported the rightists harassed people who looked foreign and threw bottles and stones at officers. Around 250 of them were arrested.

More than 13,000 people protested in Würzburg and Schweinfurt against right-wing extremism. Some 800 neo-Nazis gathered in Schweinfurt.

In Zwickau in Saxony, police reported several injuries after supporters of the far-right NPD party threw stones at leftists. Some 1,500 had gathered to protest the extreme right.

[TheLocal]
Some videos I found of the happenings in Berlin:
..to give you guys some impressions.. (Yay for Youtube!)

[Video: Burning barricades][Video: Leftists demonstrating against Nazi demonstrations on May 1st]
[Video: Police forces getting 'attacked'][Video: Demonstrators on rooftops]
Old 05-04-2010   #16
Christian
Super Moderator

Some 'funny' aftermath:

Quote:
Police call for parliament speaker to resign after neo-Nazi protest

The German Police Union (DPoIG) on Monday called for deputy speaker of the German parliament Wolfgang Thierse to step down after he allegedly broke the law by participating in a blockade against a neo-Nazi march on Saturday.

The centre-left Social Democrat sat on the street, hindering police vehicles and forcing them to remove him, ultimately creating a public disturbance, DPoIG head Rainer Wendt told broadcaster N24.

“One can’t play the statesman with an official car and driver during the week and then on the weekend sit on the street blocking police officers as a salon revolutionary,” Wendt said.

Thierse’s “public celebration of breaking the law” has damaged the reputation of the Bundestag, he continued.

Meanwhile the head of the Union of Police (GdP) Konrad Freiberg told daily Saarbrücker Zeitung that the incident was “shocking,” adding that Thierse had taken advantage of his “prominent status” during the demonstration.

Along with Thierse, Green party parliamentarian Wolfgang Wieland, Berlin senate integration commissioner Günter Piening, and Berlin’s Pankow district mayor Matthias Köhne all participated in the large protest that managed to halt the 700-strong neo-Nazi march on May 1.

Later on Monday Thierse rejected the criticism.

“My post does not limit my civil liberties and duties,” he told news agency DDP. “I can’t call others to courage without acting courageously myself.”

The SPD politician also said he was astounded that individual demonstrators were in question when hundreds of neo-Nazis had been on the streets of Berlin.

“We did not demonstrate against the police. They are not our enemies,” Thierse added, explaining that he had willing moved upon police request, and that the situation had been friendly

[TheLocal]
I don't think at all that the politician, Thierse, damaged the reputation of the 'Bundestag' or the government in any kind. He actually stood up and left right after he got asked to leave by an officer. (Couldn't find any good [video])
Old 05-16-2010   #17
EmperorChaos

Just wait til I get there, Germany, just wait.
-=-=-=-