Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > Media Room > Movies & TV

Movies & TV Talk about your favorite films and TV shows or find out if a new movie is worth seeing.

Old 09-20-2009   #1
Hamana
jaaa, klar.

Hamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Hamana Send a message via Yahoo to Hamana
Has Anyone Seen The Baader Meinhof Complex?

I just saw it with Eric last night and though it should have won best foreign movie at the academy awards.
The film retells the early years of the West German militant group Red Army Faction (RAF) and concentrates on the RAF from its beginnings in 1967/1968 at the time of the German student movement.

Hamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #2
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian
Re: Has Anyone Seen The Baader Meinhof Complex?

No. German.. that can't be interesting..

I wanted to see it, actually, but I totally missed to go to the cinema. Will have to wait till they show it in TV now.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #3
Hamana
jaaa, klar.

Hamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Hamana Send a message via Yahoo to Hamana

I can bring it with me when I come over for Christmas ;-)

Hamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009   #4
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

I wanna see this now as I read that the story is true, well, truer than most "based on true events" stories. I don't know anything about the Red Army Faction. I doubt I would like them much, however, noting as how they were a communist terrorist group. Nay, I prefer the work of East German hacker groups to blowing shit up. Much more cyberpunk.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009   #5
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

East German hacker group? What? The first microprocessor got invented in 1971 (Texas Instruments). I didn't knew we East German where that good. ^_^

But, actually, they say that GDR politicians supported the RAF with training and places to hide. Not sure though.

@ Sister:
Yea, bring the DVD ^^
..oh, and: what shall Santa bring you for Christmas? (If you where good)
Old 09-24-2009   #6
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Christian, I don't know the names of any East German Hacker Groups but I did read a book called The Cuckoo's Egg about a hacker who I believe was from East Germany. Although, if I recall correctly, the hacker was traced back to Bremen but it was believed he was working for Soviet interests in East Germany.

There is a well-known hacker group that originated in West Germany, primarily Berlin and Hamburg, called the Chaos Computer Club.

Here's an excerpt from a hacker publication with my own bold-faced emphasis added:

Quote:
6th Chaos Communication Congress, Hamburg 27-29 Dec 1989

Klaus Brunnstein <brunnstein@rz.informatik.uni-hamburg.dbp.de> 05 Jan 90 14:41 GMT+0100 6th Chaos Communication Congress 1989
'Open frontiers: CoComed together'

The 6th annual congress of Hamburg's Chaos Computer Club (CCC) was held on
27-29 December 1989 in Hamburg. The recent political development in Germany
also influences the hacker scene; only after a controversial debate, the
organisers denied a suggestion to move the congress to East Berlin. Among the
about 300 visitors, about 50 people from East Germany were present. A few
foreign visitors came from France, Netherlands and USA. The congress was
male-dominated, with a growing female participation (about 40). The other major
German hacker groups (from Bavaria, Cologne) were not present.

[snipped]

Major themes were:
- information about computerisation and network infrastructure
in East Germany
- cooperation with East German computer freaks

[snipped]

Several sessions were devoted to the state and possible developments of
computers + communication (c+c) in East Germany. With insufficient computers
and an outmoded telephone net, CCC appealed to the German public to donate
unused equipment (C64, Apple II, PCs) to eastern groups.
As substitute of the
insufficient telephone net, the recently installed 'packet radio' should be
used for computer communication; pc-communication with packer-radio was
demonstrated at the exhibition. As a start of computerisation, CCC plans to
hold another congress (Kaos Kommunikation Kongress) in East Berlin early in
I love hacker culture. Unfortunately, I suck at hacking. Well, at modern hacking. I wasn't too bad in the 90s when war dialing still served a purpose and I excelled at making long-distance calls for free.

-=-=-

This has nothing to do with the RAF, obviously. When I think of Germany divided, I imagine a world where everyone has political secrets and everyone else is trying to reveal them. Haven't you ever heard that "Everyone was a spy in East Germany"? This is an exaggeration, of course, but there certainly was a lot of espionage going on in GDR.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009   #7
Christian
Super Moderator

I though you where still referring to the movie and the RAF, that's what confused me.

I heard of the CCC, but they ain't that bad though. They stand for free informations and not for harming others and networks, basically. [wikipedia]. They are a legal registered association here in Germany and are sort of a product from the student movements/protests in West Berlin.

Quote:
Originally Said by EmperorChaos View Post
Haven't you ever heard that "Everyone was a spy in East Germany"? This is an exaggeration, of course, but there certainly was a lot of espionage going on in GDR.
Wow, so I was a spy and Hamana too? Damn, they were good, I would never have suspected us! ^_^

Well, I guess I know what you mean.
You are talking about the 'Stasi' (state security service) but they acted mostly against there own people. They were many and you never knew if you best friend is actually a spy, controlling an reporting your actions to the state.

The good thing was: You where able to drink as much as you want, the taxi driver knew already where you lived. ;-) A joke though.