Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > Media Room > Art & Photography

Art & Photography Right-brained and shutterbug hangout. Post and discuss art and photographs, self-created or otherwise. Also show off your digital graphics, wallpapers, or desktops.

Old 02-06-2010   #341
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian
Re: Christian's photography and stuff

..continued
December 24th:

Christmas, yay!

..but almost all the nice snow melted a day ago. Rats! We nearly had some white Christmas within a hair's breadth, this year..

It's tradition that we go for a little walk on Christmas Eve to give Santa h enough time to lay all the presents under the tree. Hamana, our father and I went outside and had to wait for mom, who, as usual, had to do something really quick while were already leaving the house. ..I wonder why she never managed to see Santa delivering the gifts all the years.

Anyhow, I persuaded my family to take a walk down to the river to check for the ice floes, but those were already gone like the nice snow. The warmer temperatures and the melting ice and snow created some eerie, misty atmosphere.

I photographed the snowman on the next morning.. poor guy.

December 26th:

We wanted to visit a wildlife park a bit out of the city this day.

That park was founded not all that long ago on some area, that once had been a train-ground and shooting range for stationed soviet forces, right at/in the edge of some forest, that also serves as recreational area. The park is small but seems to do pretty well for the last years, so it became bigger and a bit famous, attracting a lot of people of the nearby area.

I didn't felt like going into the wildlife park and decided to hike through the forest on its edge the park is located at. I'm not that much into caged animals, even though the wild-park is very nice and offers a lot of room to their animals to walk around free.

The sky was mostly gray that day, but a bit of blue was glimmering through for some time, while I was hiking in the middle of a deep, dark forest. ..I found a lot of strange stuff on my hike..

Last edited by Christian; 02-06-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010   #342
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

I LOVE the "A Bit Blue Sky" one. It's gorgeous. =)

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010   #343
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by foxyphoenix View Post
I LOVE the "A Bit Blue Sky" one. It's gorgeous. =)
Thank you!! :)
Old 02-07-2010   #344
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

I agree completely about that "Blue Sky" one--quoite striking. It reminds me of...something. Something good.

Oh! Maybe this:

Plus this:

Strange comparison/combination, yes, but just the way the trees all look like they're "reaching" for or encircling something in a dramatic way (Michelangelo) and the way the branches look (Friedrich)--of those two "paintings," it made me think.

In short. Awesome. :)

All the ones of the frozen river--also very stare-at-able. And the swing.

:)

Yay! updates!

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;

Last edited by Zanahoria_Picante; 02-07-2010 at 02:16 AM.
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010   #345
Christian
Super Moderator

Thank you Rachael!!

I would die to take a photo like the first painting.. and.. uh, I think I would have died if I ever take some like the second one ^_^

It was a lot of fun but freaking cold to take the frozen creek photos. Water drops froze instantly if they hit you.. or the cam, and did actually, at the end of my hike as I tried to take a last shot of the tiny waterfall with that icicles.

Oh, and thanks that you like the swing one; still try to take a shot that is at least a bit as quite as good as those you did here. They are stunning and inspire me a lot, still ^_^

Oh, I am trying to sort my gallery a bit on DeviantArt and could need some help what folders I should create to sort my photos into. Anyone any ideas? ^_^
Old 02-12-2010   #346
Christian
Super Moderator

Uhm.. Since I can find any sleep right now (and would have to get up in 10 minutes anyways):
Update! :D

Photos of December
December 27th:

Too bad all the nice snow melted over Christmas holidays..
My dad drove me a bit out of town so I could explore so I wouldn't need to hike all the way down to some swampy area I wanted to explore a bit. We followed old bumpy field- and forest roads deep into those swamps and to some other places we randomly stopped at.

I guess I'll hike there again in a few month, when the gray winterly wasteland turned into a green spring scenery.

It still was cool although almost everything appeared to be brown and dead. ^_^

Old 02-14-2010   #347
Bamcubz
WIFE - MOM - ME

Bamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond reputeBamcubz has a reputation beyond repute

Mushroom pic looks like a little village.

At the beach, life passes differently. Time does not pass by the hours but by the moments and moods.
Bamcubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010   #348
Zanahoria_Picante

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Christian View Post
Thank you Rachael!!

I would die to take a photo like the first painting.. and.. uh, I think I would have died if I ever take some like the second one ^_^
No worries, Christian! ;)

Ha, yes. Hopefully, you would already be dead if you were seeing something like the second. o.O

Quote:
It was a lot of fun but freaking cold to take the frozen creek photos. Water drops froze instantly if they hit you.. or the cam, and did actually, at the end of my hike as I tried to take a last shot of the tiny waterfall with that icicles.

Oh, and thanks that you like the swing one; still try to take a shot that is at least a bit as quite as good as those you did here. They are stunning and inspire me a lot, still ^_^

Oh, I am trying to sort my gallery a bit on DeviantArt and could need some help what folders I should create to sort my photos into. Anyone any ideas? ^_^
Heh, thank you. Your work is quite inspiring, as well. I seriously can scarce believe some of the photos--like that one of the sparrow in the flower tree, perfectly framed and posed, the crane in the water, and all of your "macro" flower photos and drippy plants--that you've captured. Quite a co-llec-tion. :)

As for the folders, just having reviewed your photos posted here, I think you could probably break your photos down into these categories:

Small Plants and Grass
Trees (possibly)
Moss and Mushrooms (possibly; depending on how specific you want to get!)
Flowers
Animals
Insects
Architecture
Landscapes
Objects
Night Scenes
Sunsets and Sky
Miscellaneous Subjects (like the water-ripple photos)

You don't really have too many photos of people, do you? Those categories might be too broad; but just an idea. :)
Quote:
Originally Said by Bamcubz View Post
Mushroom pic looks like a little village.
Yes, it does. :D

I love the colors, the effect, in that one, as well; perfect. :)

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;

Last edited by Zanahoria_Picante; 02-15-2010 at 02:09 AM.
Old 02-16-2010   #349
Christian
Super Moderator

Thank you! Both of you! :D The tiny mushroom one was fun to create ^_^

Thanks, Rachael, I think I'll 'borrow' some of your ideas to create a few sub folders to clean my gallery up a bit.

Too many photos of people? Do I even have some? ^^ I'm more into landscapes and stuff like that. ..Actually, I have no idea about people and how I should photograph them, mostly. I also would need to have their agreement if I want to publish any photos of them (especially if there are random people on it (not on events, though). The 'not being that creative'-part is the most important one, though.. unfortunately.

Anyhow, update coming soon :D
Old 02-16-2010   #350
Christian
Super Moderator

Photos of December
December 30th:

Yay! We got some new snow again and nothing was able to stop me to go on another little hike through the nearby snow-covered pasture-lands. I'm hiking often through that area if I'm home at my parents place and It also had been the place where I once had my nightly encounter with that boar, last Christmas.

I had to walk through some old, abandoned industrial district to reach the pasture-lands along the river, that divides Germany and Poland. A lot of people found a job there, until everything went down the tubes in the early 90's.

Old 02-16-2010   #351
Zanahoria_Picante

Quote:
Originally Said by Christian
Too many photos of people? Do I even have some? ^^ I'm more into landscapes and stuff like that. ..Actually, I have no idea about people and how I should photograph them, mostly. I also would need to have their agreement if I want to publish any photos of them (especially if there are random people on it (not on events, though). The 'not being that creative'-part is the most important one, though.. unfortunately.
Ha. No. No, I meant--I meant to imply--exactly what you are saying now; that you "do NOT have 'too' many photos of people." That was sort of a casual, useless "too." It's uh, sort of an idiomatic English thing, I think. You don't have many photos of people, is what I meant. :D

Curse the English language and its many, many quirks! (I barely know it, clearly.) ;p

I do see the dilemma of photographing people, though; it could cause conflicts. Also, yes, they are rather tricky to photograph, having "wills" and things that may go against having their pictures taken (unlike a tree or bird or ethereal patch of snow). ;)

But yes, those are lovely. :)

My favorite:

I'm a big fan of snow-laden objects; a big fan. And you captured some beautiful ones. For some bizarre reason, the snow in the third photo looks very edible. Very fluffy and soft and clean....

*Stares*

Time to go to sleep now.

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

Steven Wright

;
Old 02-27-2010   #352
Christian
Super Moderator

Photos of December
December 31st:

We got a lot more snow overnight and I went on a mini-hike through the proximity.

I changed the frame I edit into my photos. Hope it looks better, what do you think?
Old 02-27-2010   #353
Christian
Super Moderator

..continued
December 31st:
..New Years Eve

I tried to take some photos from the fireworks, but (I think I) failed. I left my family and went to my grandma to have a better view over the city from her balcony, half an hour before midnight. Expected to take better photos from there, though.. but a tree right in front of the balcony ruined a good view, not to talk about the new years fog, that all the firework is creating. It also was way too much to concentrate at.. but well.. maybe next year ^^

Old 03-02-2010   #354
Zanahoria_Picante

Those are all loveleh. I am jealous of your shot of the swing--could not be more perfect! Perfecter. Perfecter? I'll never understand Firefox. Perfecter is not a word.

Anyway...

It is perfect, though. All the snow shots are beautiful. And the night shots are shockingly clear.

:)

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

Steven Wright

;

Last edited by Zanahoria_Picante; 03-02-2010 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Someday, I might learn English.
Old 04-19-2010   #355
Christian
Super Moderator

About time for a new update, I'm very sorry it took me so long. I first planned to post all my winterly photos at once, in one huge update, but I got way to many photos that (still) need to be sorted, edited and uploaded. This winter really got me. I'm yet not any further then sorting the photos I took in the middle of February.

Photos of January

This winter should become one of the most awesome we had the past 30 years. Mother Hulda joggled her pillow long enough so we had closed(!) snow cover from January 28th till early march. About 23 billion (US) tons of snow felt down over Germany, enough to build a 12 feet wide slide from moon to earth.

I felt in love with this winter, the first real winder I ever experienced. :D

January 2nd:
Nothing special..
The third photo is a bit inspired by the one Rachael took once.. but its not quite as awesome as hers.. I adore that 'snow laden road'-photo so much..

January 3rd:
I drove back to Berlin and escaped the city on foot just a few hours after I arrived. I just picked a direction and kept walking for miles, leaving the big city behind and passing fields and little snow-covered villages.

January 9th:

Woho! We got the first blizzard since .. ages. I think we had the last one some-when in the seventies. It's not comparable to the blizzards you US and Canadian guys have, but it still caused a lot of troubles here. It was an awesome experience to hike out in the blizzard, in the middle of the night. What a sound.
It was already dark as the blizzard finally befell my region, too bad. Only did a quick tour through the storm, to take a few photos, but they didn't turned as I hoped or wasn't showing much of the storm.

January 11th:

Did a quick tour into the city, in the hope to photograph some snow laden cityscapes (and to buy a last belated Christmas gift ^^). But.. well, I had no luck this time. Only found a few (in my eyes) cool things as most of the snow was already dirty, like I already expected).

I passed a park with on my tour, where a gazillion of crows were lurking on just a few trees, crowing at everyone that had the guts to trespass. I didn't had my tripod with me and I 'accidentally' used a high iso-value as I tried to take a few photos of them.

Old 04-28-2010   #356
Christian
Super Moderator

Just a quick update yet, a bigger one will come later this day*.. :D

January 13th:

I randomly passed some garden with some illumed snow covered (Christmas) trees. I HAD to photograph them, it looked so lovely. ^_^

---
*) I hope, will do my best! :D
Old 04-28-2010   #357
Christian
Super Moderator

January 16th:

I had some training about how I could rescue someone out of an elevator and noticed some interesting looking icicles on some house close to the house we had the training in. We got lots and lots of snow the past 2 weeks and the temperatures were low enough for icicles to grow and to stay for a long time, wherever some snow managed to melt.

I decided to go on a little icicle-hunt after my duty. I discovered that some broken gutter iced everything below, while I was checking the roofs for icicles to photograph.

I managed to crawl through some hedge right to that place, crunching (for ages) on ice covered ground, to capture the tiny, frozen world. Could have been there forever, but I didn't wanted cops to be called that some strange voyeur is lurking under someones (kitchen) window .. ^_^

The first photo shall show different layers of snow that build up with the time; The last one is on of my favorites. ^_^

Old 04-29-2010   #358
Zanahoria_Picante

*Glares at you with genuine judgment*

Those are so...cool! ;D

All of those are favorite-able, but, if it were necessary to pick one (for some reason), this one is (it just is):

Love all the different ice formations; and that none of them are fully sun-illuminated, yet still so "entrancing"; I actually love the subdued lighting [like with the artificial light on Snowy Twig I and II] and I love how you captured the stark, winter light affecting the various shapes and angles of ice. The one of the windows is quite surreal-looking, as well. And Icy Drop I and II--perfection. Like little, natural snow globes....

Yes, not one of these lacks awesome (n). Very re-view-able and stare-at-able. ;)

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

Steven Wright

;
Old 05-01-2010   #359
Hamana
jaaa, klar.

Hamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond reputeHamana has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Hamana Send a message via Yahoo to Hamana

Quote:
Originally Said by Christian View Post

Was hat uns die Mami gesagt? Nicht unter den Eiszapfen stehen! Na ja ich eigentlich nur sagen, dass ich und Laura am 25 Juni in Berlin ankommen. Dein Geburtstag ist ja gleich am Tag danach. Wenn du willst koennten wir ja alle zusammen feiern in FFO. Ich hole dir auch ne Bejamin Bluemchen Torte (wenns die noch giben sollte). Was haelst du davon?

And now in English: I don't want to buy this carpet.

Hamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010   #360
Christian
Super Moderator

^ Cool @ Hamana. ^_^

Thank you! Rachael! I don't even have words to tell how much it cheers me up to read each of your comments on my posted photos, not tho mention the myriads of reps you gave me. Thank you so much for all the pleasing words,thank you for each of them. Wish I could give you something in return.. mh.. perhaps with an..

..Update!!? maybe? :D

January 23rd:

I did a second hike to the same area I hiked to 20 days ago, to see how the landscape with all the snow would look like with some better weather. We got lots of snow that January, but some bit warmer temperatures we had on just a few days every now and then made the snow morph into some ice, mixed up with a few remaining layers of snow in between.

..Well, it made it easier to walk, at least. The remaining ~6 inch of snow-ice mix was hard enough to walk on, without to sinking deeper then maybe half an inch - as long as someone stepped on the same spot and compressed the snow a bit more, some when before you. It was hard to walk on open field, though. Once you did a step on open, untouched snow you sank down and broke through the different frozen layers in the snow which scratches on your legs a lot

I came back home late at night and frozen to death, my water bottle froze to ice in my backpack while hiking.

I tried to capture the same scene with Snowy Field II as I did with Snowy Field I on January 3rd; ..as well as I tried to do on February 14th..

Couldn't decide for a frame for the frozen field-ones, suggestions? Ideas? :)

January 27th and 29th:

Just some random shots I took on my way from and to University.

January 27th wasn't the coldest night, but still..

Tags
christian, photography