Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Debate & Politics

Debate & Politics Fight! Fight! Fight! Keep your arguments clean, and be constructive about getting your point across.

Old 03-06-2008   #221
Laughing Man X2
The cool guy.

Laughing Man X2 is a jewel in the roughLaughing Man X2 is a jewel in the roughLaughing Man X2 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Atheism: Why I don't believe in God!

Quote:
Originally Said by Emperor Chaos View Post
I disagree but anyway....enough with the off-topic posts.

Talk about atheism or else.

Speaking of, one of my best friends is going through some difficult times right now...

And as a result of certain events, she's going through that "If God exists, why did he let this happen?" phase. And many people she's asked if they believed in God, and they said "No."

So that got her thinking about the "Well, then, what is the point of life?" argument.

I tried to explain to her that all life seeks to live, from the complex human to the simple bacterium. And that that is our purpose, more or less.

Now, she knows my standings on religion. I've known her for thirteen years.... and we've been really good friends for eleven years.... anyway, she started talking to me about religion and what she should do.

Due to the circumstances, and knowing that she was raised Catholic, I told her to turn to God in her time of need and to look to Him for guidance.

I don't know who was more surprised at that advice, her or me.

Regardless, I know that her belief in God will strengthen her and help her get over this difficult time hence the reason I said it.

Everyone must turn to something for strength at times (even if it isn't God.) Going by circumstances and from observation, you did the right thing. I believe that this is another detourant to people when it comes to religion. People seek answers and when they speak to those who claim to have position or strong in the faith and get a backwards answer (if any), that can't help but to leave a bad impression. We must look within for whatever strength we need and in adversity we must encourage one to take the best course of action.

Side note: I feel that we will be on "God" for a while so let me throw something out there for you. Those with God and also to the Godless, if God is not what you think he is what do you believe he should be "according to rational thought?" I have heard some of the concerns we have with what God isn't doing right but just assuming that there is a God, why do you think he doesn't intervene? Is our reasoning higher than God's or is God just a standing contradiction? If he is a contradiction and he created everything then wouldn't that make the creation contradictiory? Wouldn't that make laws contradictiory? Does the creation truly reflect the Creator or was it all just coincidental?

One last thing... Is it possible for the God of Abraham to share his rule with other gods? Is there a hierarchy or all or the same entity? If so, wouldn't that negate all religion?

most likely will edit soon so don't hold your breath, lol!

- borrowed from The Art of War with a little twist on top ^_^

Here's something a tad less smart:

" If I had a dollar for every brain you didn't have, I would have one dollar..."

I'm on MySpace: Myspace.com/xfinalhydrax
Laughing Man X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008   #222
queenaliqueen
Newbie Member

queenaliqueen has made a few great posts
Send a message via Yahoo to queenaliqueen

You are so right. Everything you said makes perfect sense. I wish more people would speak thier minds.
Old 03-14-2008   #223
Laughing Man X2
The cool guy.

Laughing Man X2 is a jewel in the roughLaughing Man X2 is a jewel in the roughLaughing Man X2 is a jewel in the rough

Why thank you! Anything you wish to contibute? I've been away for awhile so I really don't keep up with newer members... nice to meet you!

" If I had a dollar for every brain you didn't have, I would have one dollar..."

Old 03-14-2008   #224
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Quote:
Originally Said by Laughing Man X2 View Post
Why thank you! Anything you wish to contibute? I've been away for awhile so I really don't keep up with newer members... nice to meet you!
I don't want to burst your bubble....

But this queenaliqueen person went to several threads and she seemed to only respond to the original post of each one.

I'm not saying she did that with you, but the odds are against you. I doubt she read anything other than the OPs, if she even read the OPs!
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008   #225
Laughing Man X2
The cool guy.

Oh, lol! Wow, that sucks...

At any rate thanks for the heads up EC. To be honest I have been feeling like crap lately so I have to summon the strength to post, lol!

So yeah... religion anyone? LOL!

Old 04-14-2008   #226
wizard924
Newbie Member

wizard924 should be rewarded

I don't believe in God due to the fact that I choose to. Why do you need to justify what you believe in? Why do Christians believe in God? They choose to. A lot of people look into this arguement to deeply in my opinon and it just lies into what you believe in.
Old 04-14-2008   #227
neomp5
Dipshit for life!

neomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart godneomp5 is an Almost Smart god

so you're saying that what's actually true means nothing to you?

"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear." -Thomas Jefferson

"A belief is not merely an idea the mind possesses; it is an idea that possesses the mind." -Robert Bolt

"To teach how to live without certainty and yet without being paralysed by hesitation is perhaps the chief thing that philosophy, in our age, can do for those who study it." -Bertrand Russell
neomp5 is offline   Reply With Quote