Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > General

General If it doesn't belong anywhere else it goes here.

Old 02-06-2011   #1
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

ablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to ablethevoice Send a message via Yahoo to ablethevoice
New Computer!!

Well, it's here! My new system. Here's the build list:

MOBO - MSI 870A-G54-w/ Crossfire ATX

CPU - AMD Athelon II-X4 QuadCore-3.1 gHz/2MB/socketAM3

Case - Coolermaster Elite 330 w/350W PS

RAM - 4GB PC3-10600 DDR3 1333

Vid - MSI Radeon HD4350 w/512MB onboard mem - PCIE

HD - Western Digital SATA A300 7200RPM 512GB

I had some... "issues" getting started with my XP installation. I actually thought I had a bad HDD to begin with until I went into my BIOS and switched the protocol from AHCI to SATA. Took almost an hour just to format the partition. When I finally got XP installed, I called bellsouth for help in setting up my internet. After the tech told me (after another 45 minutes on the phone) that I didn't have a functioning LAN and I'd have to contact the folks who built my system, I hung up. I moped for a while. Then it suddenly dawned on me to look in the box of stuff for documentation. What I found besides the documentation was a whole CDROM full of drivers for the MOBO which included sound drivers and LAN drivers!! (d'oh!)

OK... so now i was online. Time to get Firefox...got it
Also DLed Avast antivirus...got that
Then it was *sigh* time for Windows updates. There were over three hundred patches and updates which I am STILL DLing and installing! It took 20 minutes to get SP3 and another hour to install it and there are still more to go. I've already restarted the system five times and I might have to reboot 2 or 3 more times before I get everything up to date.
But I have my new system! And I'm a happy camper!

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." —Albert Einstein

“It's fortunate for governments that people don't think." - Adolph Hitler

Sturkis akidit ("shit happens") - Latin

Bent Ears Audio Laboratories - Better Music Through Chemistry

MUSIC IS LIKE CANDY. IT'S ONLY GOOD WHEN YOU GET RID OF ALL THE RAPPERS.
))#####D~~~~ (_l_)

Last edited by ablethevoice; 02-06-2011 at 06:06 PM.
ablethevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011   #2
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos
Re: New Computer!!

Overall that's a nice system.

Quote:
Originally Said by ablethevoice View Post
Then it was *sigh* time for Windows updates. There were over three hundred patches and updates which I am STILL DLing and installing! It took 20 minutes to get SP3 and another hour to install it and there are still more to go. I've already restarted the system five times and I might have to reboot 2 or 3 more times before I get everything up to date.
But I have my new system! And I'm a happy camper!

Yeah Windows updates suck.

Whenever I need to update my system, I just open a terminal and type the following commands:

sudo apt-get check
sudo apt-get update

and then minimize that terminal window and go back to whatever I was doing. Nine times out of ten, there's no rebooting necessary.

I love Linux.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011   #3
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

ablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond repute

Hey I have another question: Now that my rig is fully "up"; (I found some other drivers for simple things like ohhh... the CPU and the vid card so my rig isn't using the generic windows drivers anymore (double d'oh!)) I DLed and installed SPEEDFAN for basic monitoring tasks. I have several temperatures being displayed but I don't know which of the temperatures displayed is the actual CPU temp! Here's a shot of the "front panel" of SpeedFan doing its thing...I just want to know where all these temp sensors actually are - especially the one showing minus 198 degrees F!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speedfan screenshot.JPG (42.4 KB, 5 views)

"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." —Albert Einstein

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
Old 02-10-2011   #4
EmperorChaos

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

All righty, Tom. After reading your last post I became determined to try to help you out. So I've spent the last 15 minutes or so researching your specific problem. (Not that I really mind since I'm just waiting for some torrents from EZTV to finish downloading.)

I looked at your computer specs and compared them to the supported chipsets for SpeedFan. Bad news: It looks like your chipset isn't supported....

Unless...

You don't, by any chance, get a message like this when you start SpeedFan up?
"IT8712F support was improved.
Please, have a look at CONFIG / ADVANCED and read the help file about how to configure Advanced Options."

I went to ADVANCED and selected IT8712F and then saw a number of things I could configure from there but I don't feel like reading the help file at the moment so I just closed the program.

I ask because if you did get something like that, there's a good chance that your chipset is supported but, like mine, would apparently need a little configuratin'. I'll look at that help file another time and I might be able to adjust the right variables (for that's all it let's you adjust, apparently) so that the data on the READINGS tab is accurate.....

But again, this would only apply to you if you got a message like I did when you first start SpeedFan. I am inclined to believe you may have got something like that because our CPU are pretty similar.

Anyway, Tom, this is why you need to get on IRC sometime, haha. Talking in real-time on IRC is so much better, well, when I'm actually not AFK. I usually use IRC for my computer troubleshooting too. I find it so much more refreshing to get an answer quickly from someone rather than wait for them to reply to my forum post.

-=-=-

Oh, one last thing, it's obvious the data in that READINGS tab is incorrect, but if you would like to know what your CPU temp is (at least when the computer is idle), simply go into BIOS when you boot up and read the data from there. You'll be fine so long as you don't mess with any of those settings (particularly don't play with voltage adjustment, as I learned the hard way thus causing me to spend a great deal of time researching how to fix my mistake :P).
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
Old 02-11-2011   #5
CrunchBite
explosions are half all the fun

CrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divine

Or, you could simply grab a copy of Core Temp and leave it running in the tray if you want the thermal info on your CPU at all times.
CrunchBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011   #6
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

I've been meaning to do this since last weekend. Curse of the Procrastination Virus, I guess...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Computer 2 05 2011 001.jpg (84.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg New Computer 2 05 2011 002.jpg (85.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg New Computer 2 05 2011 003.jpg (81.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg New Computer 2 05 2011 004.jpg (73.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg New Computer 2 05 2011 005.jpg (91.9 KB, 5 views)

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
Old 02-15-2011   #7
Thoughtcrime
I grew up to be black.

Thoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond reputeThoughtcrime has a reputation beyond repute

Why XP, why not Win7?
Old 02-15-2011   #8
CrunchBite

CrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divineCrunchBite is divine

He had the XP install disk and uses older programs. No need to spend extra money on new software.

My computer after bad wiring in my building killed the power supply. I was not a happy camper.
Old 02-15-2011   #9
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

Yeah, exactly that (about XP). Why dump cash on a new OS when XP is still supported? If this rig is still alive when XP is deemed obsolete, THEN I'll backup and reformat my HD then upgrade to whatever OS is in trend - assuming Microsoft doesn't backpedal with some other abortion like Vista turned out to be.

Crunch: that's a hell of a mess you have there. Is that a liquid-cooled rig? Just the CPU or are you also cooling the video card too?

{EDIT} Oh. BTW, my Creative SB soundcard still works so I can use the MIDI-to-"game port" adapter after all! I installed it a couple of days ago and all is well with the sound system.

Also, I can't believe how much better and smoother TV and movies look using this new video card!

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
Old 02-15-2011   #10
CrunchBite

Yup. I've got the CPU and both vid cards liquid cooled there. The system is so quite I can hear the HDDs spin up. It was a really fun project to undertake.
Old 02-17-2011   #11
EmperorChaos

Crunch does that bottle of liquor have any effect on your system?
-=-=-=-
Old 02-17-2011   #12
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

I imagine that bottle of booze was a (passive) component in rewiring it after his thrice-damned wiring fault fried his PS.

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
Old 02-17-2011   #13
EmperorChaos

I'd say that, personally, mixing alcohol with electron repair, as I'd often done, has resulted in a success rate of about 75%.

Then, 20% of the time I have to give up and try again when sober. About 4.5% of the time I screw something up so bad it takes me hours or days to repair.

The final 0.5% of the time I've drunkenly attempted electronic repair results in FUBAR.

Not a terrible track record, I guess?
-=-=-=-
Old 02-18-2011   #14
CrunchBite

Hah, not quite. My room is just that messy. That's my standby Captain Morgan Tattoo rum, mixes in anything cola based.

The container on the right of the photo is actually filled with liquid nitrogen.

The sewing kit doesn't help too much either...
Old 02-18-2011   #15
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

Liquid nitrogen?? What for? Where'd ya get it? and for that matter, where'd you get the storage container for it? LN isn't too terribly expensive but those ultra-high quality Dewar bottles aren't cheap.

))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
Old 02-19-2011   #16
CrunchBite

I have it for science demos, mostly shrinking balloons and frozen marshmallows (pretty tastey). I work with a group of people who do science shows around central PA. I manage the equipment room, so I tend to stage stuff for shows at my place.

Sometimes we have leftovers and I have to "dispose" of it. Nothing like freezing someone's pillow or pouring some down the stairs when there are people sitting at the bottom. By the time it gets there it's nothing more than a chilly mist. Still scares the crap out of people.