Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > Media Room > Music

Music Discuss the latest in music. Talk about your favorite or most hated bands and artists. Music theory, tabs, and your recordings also go here.

Old 06-25-2003   #1
Majin
Trainee Member

Majin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Majin
Rap: love it or hate it??

So...pretty self explanatory, really.

I personally despise rap, hip hop, and whatever else you can call it.
Old 06-26-2003   #2
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo
i fucking hate rap.

we have some of that Underground hip hop here in the 805. its actually not bad. im kinda getting into it now.

but i fucking hate rap.

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003   #3
cloud_burnside
Newbie Member

cloud_burnside is on a distinguished road
i really can't stand rap myself. im a black guy too (if that even matters). all i listen to is rock, metal, punk, and alternative. my fave bands are bands like linkin park, deftones, evanescence, earshot, cold, adema, metallica, mudvayne, slipknot, koRn, blink 182, etc. I just could never get into rap. like ive heard b4..."you cant spell crap without rap"
Old 06-27-2003   #4
kyle
Lawl ^^

kyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to kyle Send a message via MSN to kyle Send a message via Yahoo to kyle Send a message via Skype™ to kyle
rap sucks people say its hard to make the songs cuz you have to rhyme the words, well its easy to rhym words when you put a 'Z' in every word and end it with the letter O.
Old 06-27-2003   #5
Daniel
Well Known Member

Daniel is just really niceDaniel is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Daniel
I own 4 rap cds, NWA - Legacy, Tupac - Greatest Hits, Snoop - Doggystyle, Dr. Dre - The Chronic. All have a couple things in common, they have great songs on them and all west coast rappers from the late 80's and early 90's.

Rap has completly sucked since 93, even though it wasn't that great even then. But The Chronic is one of the best cd's I have ever heard.

But Linkin Park raps, they rap to god damn much, but I hate them because there musicians are horrible. Rage, Deftones (kinda) and some of the best bands today use rap/rhyme styles. So it is not without its influences, but with all that said, I think it is now an inferior genre of music. Seems to be so popular because it used to be so 'diffrenet' to listen to, now it IS the mainstream, and anyone who can make a rhyme can make a million.

Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003   #6
tynie
You're Klaus Nomi, I'm Etta James

tynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond reputetynie has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to tynie Send a message via MSN to tynie Send a message via Yahoo to tynie
Rap WAS good, emphasize on the "was". Now with all this "gangsta rap" shit, rap music has gone down. I like rap, but old-school rap, Public Enemy (sp), Run DMC, and NWA. Maybe a little Snoop Dogg, but as of now, rap has got to be the worst genre of msuic, next to polka.
What I want is to be needed. What I need is to be indispensable to somebody. Who I need is somebody that will eat up all my free time, my ego, my attention. Somebody addicted to me. A mutual addiction.-Choke, Chuck Palahniuk
tynie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003   #7
spadetje
pretty in life & pretty in death

spadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smart
Send a message via ICQ to spadetje Send a message via AIM to spadetje Send a message via MSN to spadetje
I like Eminem!
But I don't like all that Ja Rule shit.

.TranceAddicted.
.Hardcore.Hardstyle.Trance.
spadetje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003   #8
Blood Red
Bleed to the red

Blood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond repute
G-UNIT !
Old 06-27-2003   #9
Chris85
Well Known Member

Chris85 should be rewarded
I despise rap with a burning passion, nuff said.
Chris85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003   #10
Blood Red
Bleed to the red

Blood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond reputeBlood Red has a reputation beyond repute
well, since i have to have a broad taste in music, i enjoy rap, but not that hardcore gangster rap. 50-Cent is great, dre really hooked those beats up. i had Nappy Root's CD Watermellon, Chicken, And Grits, spinning for awhile. Cypress Hill too, but that more rock/rap then rap

Let me show you how to greet me, when you meet me, when you see me. If you real my nigga, you know how to holla "G-Unit!" - 50 Cent - High All The Time

Nappy Roots - Awnaw
Old 06-28-2003   #11
Daniel
Well Known Member

If I have to hear the word 'holla' again I might hurt someone. I just think it is funny how people who listen to rap like it because they talk about bitches and hoes and how much 'bling and ice' they have. Like the people who idolize them for that. KRS-One or Chuck D don't talk about that shit, they rap about social shit, to bad they don't get what they deserve.

Old 06-28-2003   #12
junkass82
Newbie Member

junkass82 is on a distinguished road
raps not great, i find theres no depth... i dont understand how someone can rehash the same shit all over again, and just change a note. Or they rip off some oldy goldie song and call it their own. Its retarded how commercial the whole thing gets, everyones in it for the money. That to me says its not music...
nuff said
junkass82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003   #13
geminijoe28
Well Known Member

geminijoe28 is on a distinguished road
the types of music i like ranges from anything and everything so i like rap. the one thing i dont like about rap is that they sample other pp's music..be original i say..but some rappers i like are
dr. dre, snoop dogg, eminem, busta rhymes, ludacris. the other songs i like are basically what you hear on the radio sometimes. old school rap is good i downloaded a song called "back to the hotel" by N2Deep, that i really like...i also like the song "it's like that" by Run DMC...that song is killer!

not sure if it happened but i read metallica did a song or a remix with dr. dre or something like that? has anyone heard it, if so was it good?
Old 06-29-2003   #14
ceilirince

ceilirince is on a distinguished road
I use to listen to rap but I just got so sick of it. I started to think why am I listening to this. I can't relate at all. The songs are abuot pimping getting ho's the bling bling or shoes. A song about shoes that is a real worth while song. not. Now I just cannot stand rap. Don't know why I ever listened to it in the first place. Oh I know cuase my older sister did. I get crap about the music I love. I love rock and metal. At school I had permission to use the stereo in gym class. I put on a cd that was rock. People kept going over and taking my cd out and putting rap in. Or jsut pulling the plug. Or I was in the weight room only a couple of us in there listening to last resort and having fun a person walks in pulls the plug and walks out. My school is dominated by rap music. Rock is discriminated against. I got so sick of being forced to listen to rap.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ROCK AND METAL ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!

babble babble bitch bitch rebel rebel party party sex sex sex and don't forget the violence blah blah blah got your lovey dovey sad and lonely stick the stupid slogan in everybody sing along
-Marilyn manson
The Golden age of Grotesque
This is the new shit
ceilirince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003   #15
thirstygodiva

thirstygodiva is just really nicethirstygodiva is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to thirstygodiva
RAP IS CRAP!!!!!!!
Old 07-01-2003   #16
Daniel
Well Known Member

So be happy you are not part of the 'mainstream' then. Probably just means you have a better head on your shoulders and you don't care about going with the flow.

Old 07-04-2003   #17
HappyPhantom

HappyPhantom is on a distinguished road
I'm a big fan of rap. Ofcourse I'm a hip-hop dancer, so it's part of what I love to do. I just think it's extremly creative, fun, and upbeat.
Old 07-04-2003   #18
spadetje
pretty in life & pretty in death

spadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smartspadetje The Angel of Almost Smart
Send a message via ICQ to spadetje Send a message via AIM to spadetje Send a message via MSN to spadetje
Quote:
Originally posted by HappyPhantom
I'm a big fan of rap. Ofcourse I'm a hip-hop dancer, so it's part of what I love to do. I just think it's extremly creative, fun, and upbeat.
Ha thats like my good friend jody...she teaches dance and stuff. Thats pretty cool, rap isnt to bad unless you're all ghettostupid about it. But most dance-teachers arent anyway.

.TranceAddicted.
.Hardcore.Hardstyle.Trance.
spadetje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003   #19
Wobbie
Is Back

Wobbie has a reputation beyond reputeWobbie has a reputation beyond reputeWobbie has a reputation beyond reputeWobbie has a reputation beyond reputeWobbie has a reputation beyond reputeWobbie has a reputation beyond reputeWobbie has a reputation beyond reputeWobbie has a reputation beyond reputeWobbie has a reputation beyond reputeWobbie has a reputation beyond reputeWobbie has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Wobbie
it's not as simple as loving or hating rap.

I'm not a fan of all of the shit that's in the charts at the moment. It's more 'shit-pop' than 'hip-hop' I'm talking about Nelly and shit like that. doing anything for a sale (he did a song with nsync for fuck's sake).

But when it's done well, and in the spirit of the music (yes music, not just sampled beats and beeps) in bands like 'Gruvis Malt', 'Faith No More', 'King Mungi', 3rd Strike', Beastie Boys', The Roots', 'Superheist', 'Jurassic 5', and bands like that, it's not bad.

Sure most of the stuff i listen to doesn't have any rap at all, but some bands do it well, and good on them for expanding the musical scope.
Wobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003   #20
Flipkid

Flipkid is on a distinguished road
The way that i look at it is that it is technically music by definition, but in my mind it's not. You have the music which is made by a machine not instruments, MACHINES. Granted, putting together a series of noises and making it work does take some talent, but i know plenty of people who could never play a musical instrument in their life and yet can still put together a kick ass sounding song on the computer. The thing that gets me are the actual rappers themselves. RAP HAS BECOME MORE AN IMAGE THEN ANYTHING ELSE IT ACCOMPLISHES. And yes to a certain extent so has rock, and country, etc. But have you noticed how all rappers try to display the same badass player, droptop driving, bitch fucking, gun toting tough guy attitude. And that's fine they have every right to do so. It just seems so monotonous that every week a new rapper comes out and it's the same thing all over again. I myself am very open minded with music, If it sounds get and it can pump me up, I'll listen. But when i think of the word music, the first thing comes to mind is talent. Look at jazz and blues. The majority of the songs in these categories are incredibly complex in musical design. Now a portion of todays mainstream music consists of three chords one bass line and a 4/4 beat on the drums. Then you get into the stuff like killswitch engage, A.F.I., NoFx, Haste the Day, Thrice, all of which have taken instumental usage to a new level. And there are many more from almost every genre that have done the same, including rap. But i guess my point is, if i can make good money and become famous by playing a 4/4 beat on a drum machine then why the fuck am i still a non famous full time worker. Answer: because almost anyone can do it.

Today can't become tomorrow unless yesterday is left behind.
Flipkid is offline   Reply With Quote