Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Debate & Politics

Debate & Politics Fight! Fight! Fight! Keep your arguments clean, and be constructive about getting your point across.

Old 11-23-2007   #41
petohtalrayn
fuck censorship

petohtalrayn is a knight of Almost Smartpetohtalrayn is a knight of Almost Smartpetohtalrayn is a knight of Almost Smartpetohtalrayn is a knight of Almost Smart
Re: Religion

This is ridiculous. Did you even *read* the post you're complaining about?

Quote:
Originally Said by me
1. the jewish people are still waiting for their prophet.
2. the christian people believe that prophet was jesus.
3. the muslim people believe that prophet was mohammed, and that while jesus was a prophet, and was cool, he was not the son of god, and he was not as cool as mohammed.
Fist of all, I was clearly implying, in my third statement, that the Christians believed that Jesus was the son of God. I didn't feel it was necessary to make that statement first and then make it again by contrast, so I chose to only exercise the latter statement. Excuse me for avoiding the redundancy you seem to enjoy.

Secondly, it is more than common knowledge that Christians believe that Jesus was the son of God. There are plenty of beliefs that I left out of the three cults so that I could make the comparison easier for this forum's intellectually lax demographic. I was not nailing the three religions "to a t" but merely creating sketches of each, rough and crude sketches, that I could use to make a simple comparison.

What do you want from me, Jenn? Blood? You want me to sit here and elaborate on the differences? Were my examples not good enough for you? Well, then go to the fucking library.

What?

What the fuck do you want from me?

EDIT: HERE!! HERE YOU FUCKING PIRANHAS! MORE INFORMATION ABOUT CHRISTIANITY! Also I've come to the realization that illiteracy is a serious problem in these forums, so I've taken the liberty of searching for text to speech software that will make life easier for all of us. You no read? You click here.
petohtalrayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007   #42
EmperorChaos
Ruin you like this website.

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Quote:
Originally Said by noisome View Post
EDIT: HERE!! HERE YOU FUCKING PIRANHAS! MORE INFORMATION ABOUT CHRISTIANITY! Also I've come to the realization that illiteracy is a serious problem in these forums, so I've taken the liberty of searching for text to speech software that will make life easier for all of us. You no read? You click here.
Woah there fellla. Didn't Matt have to explain Jesus Christ to you in terms of a philosopher?

-=-=-=-

Also, on a more practical note, it's not necessarily that illiteracy is a problem here so much as it is that no one can comprehend what you're trying to say because you come across so condescendingly.

Be a bit more courteous and respectful and perhaps people will actually care to read what you post?
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
EmperorChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007   #43
petohtalrayn
fuck censorship

petohtalrayn is a knight of Almost Smartpetohtalrayn is a knight of Almost Smartpetohtalrayn is a knight of Almost Smartpetohtalrayn is a knight of Almost Smart

No, I agree with things that the (mythological?) possibly-fictional Christian "character" Jesus (H.?) Christ has reportedly said. I think what people have done with his "philosophy" is terrible. I would liken him to Charles Manson.

Matt misunderstood something that I said in a previous post and reminded me that Jesus, if presented with a modern Christian, would crucify himself in horror. But I wouldn't consider Jesus to be a great mind or a great philosopher. Being of a fascist monotheistic faith, his "philosophy" was riddled with and blinded by megalomania, ignorance, and intolerance -- largely a close-ended, failed mutation, a broken rung in the evolutionary ladder towards objective perception.

-=-=-=-

Also, on another note, stop acting like you understand me, Jason.
Old 11-23-2007   #44
EmperorChaos

Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster
EmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond reputeEmperorChaos has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to EmperorChaos Send a message via AIM to EmperorChaos Send a message via MSN to EmperorChaos Send a message via Yahoo to EmperorChaos

Quote:
Originally Said by noisome View Post
No, I agree with things that the (mythological?) possibly-fictional Christian "character" Jesus (H.?) Christ has reportedly said. I think what people have done with his "philosophy" is terrible. I would liken him to Charles Manson.
And I think you would be erroneous. Manson manipulated his followers into performing murder. Jesus preached peace.

Quote:
Matt misunderstood something that I said in a previous post and reminded me that Jesus, if presented with a modern Christian, would crucify himself in horror. But I wouldn't consider Jesus to be a great mind or a great philosopher. Being of a fascist monotheistic faith, his "philosophy" was riddled with and blinded by megalomania, ignorance, and intolerance -- largely a close-ended, failed mutation, a broken rung in the evolutionary ladder towards objective perception.
Thomas Aquinas, William of Ockham, and Immanuel Kant would kick your ass.

Quote:
Also, on another note, stop acting like you understand me, Jason.

But I do know you. I know you very well. I know you like to tear everything down. You don't like walls.

And that's all fine and all, but it leaves you with nothing.
The first thing that came into being, void and without form, a lifeless lump, unfashioned and unframed, the Prima Materia from which all comes, influenced by forms and given structure by matter it becomes all that is, with increase in entropy it is into which all shall fall, endlessly and in all directions, a self-reflexive paradox.
-=-=-=-
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." -Isaac Asimov
Old 11-23-2007   #45
petohtalrayn
fuck censorship

It leaves me with reality, or the closest thing to it -- nothing.

Nothing.

The most metal thing ever.

Nothing.

It's what's for fucking breakfast.
Old 11-23-2007   #46
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

Little Jimmy: (Tries to pour cereal from box; nothing comes out) "Nothing...for breakfast?"
Announcer: "That's right, little Jimmy! Nihilistic Crunch comes with a little nothing in every box!"
Little Jimmy: "Gee wiz, Mister! Won't I be hungry for the rest of the day?"
Announcer: "Well, Jimmy, that's the cost of keepin' it real."
Little Jimmy: (looks downcast)
Announcer: "Nihilistic Crunch: Now utterly devoid of swirls!"

Just kidding. Nihilism has its place, I suppose (perhaps just not at the breakfast table ).

But ANYWAY,

this
Quote:
Originally Said by noisome
1. the jewish people are still waiting for their prophet.
2. the christian people believe that prophet was jesus.
3. the muslim people believe that prophet was mohammed, and that while jesus was a prophet, and was cool, he was not the son of god, and he was not as cool as mohammed.
is actually a really fine summary of the comparison between those three worldviews. Sums it up well. It's interesting to note that a frequent point of comparison is how each views Jesus Christ.

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;

Last edited by Zanahoria_Picante; 11-24-2007 at 01:09 AM.
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007   #47
petohtalrayn
fuck censorship

Quote:
Originally Said by zicanta picante or whatever
is actually a really fine summary of the comparison between those three worldviews. Sums it up well. It's interesting to note that a frequent point of comparison is how each views Jesus Christ.
Thanks. I would like to note that the point of comparison is not, however, how each views Jesus Christ, but what stage in the Judeo-Christian mythos each religion is currently in.
Old 11-30-2007   #48
EmperorChaos

You're going to hell.
-=-=-=-
Old 11-30-2007   #49
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't we all?
I mean, is anyone truly without sin, or repentant enough, to walk through the gates of St. Peter?

If you are, I wouldn't want to spend eternity with you anyways.

Party in Hell!!

(all hypothetical of course--I don't believe in Heaven or Hell... party for worm/bacteria/fungus food!)

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007   #50
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by foxyphoenix View Post
I mean, is anyone truly without sin, or repentant enough, to walk through the gates of St. Peter?
No. Exactly. And, methinks, that is the whole point; everyone sins and no one can stop sinning entirely and practically. No one meets God's standards or earns salvation through human effort.

The only person who lived a sin-free life is Jesus Christ, which is why, by faith in Him (believing He is God and that what He did on the cross is true), God makes a person righteous and He saves that person from spiritual death.*

So, while repentance (turning from sin) relates to living the Christian life, it is not a prerequisite for salvation. Faith (alone) in Christ (alone) is the only prerequisite for receiving eternal life.

*Ephesians 2:8: "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is a gift of God - not by works, so that no one can boast."

(Stolidly steps off soapbox.)

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007   #51
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

Soapboxes are fine, hehe. I've read the Bible, but I've never really had a practitioner explain their interpretations of it.

Me fascina!

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007   #52
EmperorChaos

Quote:
Originally Said by foxyphoenix View Post
Soapboxes are fine, hehe. I've read the Bible, but I've never really had a practitioner explain their interpretations of it.

Me fascina!
Yeah, Zana'll do that to you.
-=-=-=-
Old 12-01-2007   #53
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

Location: Randomly by chance out of nowhere, b/c that's more plausible
Funk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't read this thread, just the title.

I believe in a higher power, a GOD if you will, for many different spiritual reasons.
Even so, I want to simply say....

FUCK RELIGION!!!
"God is the shaper of your heart. God does not display his work in abstract terms. He prefers the concrete, and this means that at the end of your life one of three things will happen to your heart: it will grow hard, it will be broken, or it will be tender. Nobody escapes." - Ravi Zacharias
Funk*Sonic*7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007   #54
The-Chadster
truth is more important than facts

The-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart god

Actualy, iv'e been thinking, and i should have used a different title. But religion is the best thing i could think of. Its more of a spirtuality thing. But i don't know the right word. Its not so much for "Christian" "Muslim" "Jew" etc, but beliefs in different things, different faiths, a higher power, lack of a higher power, how to get to heaven etc.
John 8:28 Then Jesus said unto them, When ye lifted up the Son of man, then yee shall know that I am He, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

So clap your hands to the sound
Of every first born dying now
Watch the rivers flow with blood
Death will stand where life once stood
The-Chadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007   #55
EmperorChaos

The best way to get to Heaven is by dying.
-=-=-=-
Old 12-01-2007   #56
The-Chadster
truth is more important than facts

The-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart godThe-Chadster is an Almost Smart god

That depends. If you believe that Jesus is the Savior and you must be saved to get to heaven, then you have to be saved to get to heaven. If you die and you are not saved, you go to hell. Simply dying is not truly the way to get to heaven.
John 8:28 Then Jesus said unto them, When ye lifted up the Son of man, then yee shall know that I am He, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.
Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

So clap your hands to the sound
Of every first born dying now
Watch the rivers flow with blood
Death will stand where life once stood
The-Chadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007   #57
EmperorChaos

Quote:
Originally Said by The-Chadster View Post
That depends. If you believe that Jesus is the Savior and you must be saved to get to heaven, then you have to be saved to get to heaven. If you die and you are not saved, you go to hell. Simply dying is not truly the way to get to heaven.
No. That's not true. They changed the rules. Didn't you get the memo? Everyone goes to Heaven now.

Blah... I should just stop paying attention to this thread. Because you religious people are going to be serious about something I'm not serious about. And you'll start quoting your Bibles and what not and that's just not even logical.
-=-=-=-
Old 12-01-2007   #58
Funk*Sonic*7
Im super cereal!

Location: Randomly by chance out of nowhere, b/c that's more plausible
Funk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond reputeFunk*Sonic*7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by The Mac Guy View Post
I'm a devout Atheist. I went to a Baptist church for about a year at about age 12. The pastor was a good man, but I just came to the conclusion that the whole story was complete bullshit.
Yeah I bet your pastor was a good man to you when you were a 12 year old boy
"God is the shaper of your heart. God does not display his work in abstract terms. He prefers the concrete, and this means that at the end of your life one of three things will happen to your heart: it will grow hard, it will be broken, or it will be tender. Nobody escapes." - Ravi Zacharias

Last edited by funksonic7; 12-01-2007 at 07:36 PM.
Funk*Sonic*7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007   #59
wizard924
Newbie Member

wizard924 should be rewarded

KEEP IT CLEAN PEOPLE!!!
Alright, but seriously, why do we need a religion anyway? If you strip down the backstory from ALL relgions (Buddist, Muslim, Christianity, Judaism, ect...) don't they all say the same thing? Live a clean and prosperious life, follow the rules of morality, and lead a fullfilling life. We seriously don't need a church or other institutions to tell us these obvious things. Agnostic to the maximalist and atheism to the minimalist.
Old 12-09-2007   #60
Jugband
Andrew's spokesman

Jugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond reputeJugband has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by wizard924 View Post
KEEP IT CLEAN PEOPLE!!!
No.

Jugband is offline   Reply With Quote