Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > AlmostSmartism > Front Page

Front Page The threads which appears on the front page. Add your comments or create your own front page threads.

Old 11-23-2008   #141
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Proposition 8

Like Funk in the other threads, this is just an attempt to flush out non-heterosexuals and make that distinction part of the discussion when it has no relevance. Another lame strawman.

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." ~~ Cicero

"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food." ~~ Hippocrates

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.
my.dragons.lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008   #142
Yugoloth
-----

Yugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Yugoloth

This is why the founding fathers didn't include directly democratic processes like initiative and referendum in our government to begin with. Direct democracy doesn't work, and Proposition 8 is as good an example as any. "The tyranny of the majority," they called it.

The problem is that people in large groups are stupid. You put the masses in direct control of the government, and you get shit like this. One guy by himself might take a moment and wonder, "What do I have to gain from banning gay marriage? Oh yeah. Nothing." But somehow, 52.1% of the voting population in California failed to do this, and so the minority gets the shaft.

That's democracy.
Yugoloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008   #143
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo

When I read "eliminate the right" on the ballot, I thought to myself, "How cruel. I'm actually gonna decide to ban a RIGHT. When am I ever gonna get to do this again?"

So with mine own right I said Y ON 8; & & I dont even mind that gays get married. =]

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008   #144
hai Jay
Time for breakfast!!!

hai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond reputehai Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Matt, you're an asshole and I can't believe people would vote to take people's rights away just because they could.

Proposition 8 is fucking stupid. Who the hell do they think they are (52.1% of Californians?) to take away a basic right everyone should have?

It shouldn't even have been up for a vote. It shouldn't be an amendment. It shouldn't be anywhere. Any man or woman should have the right to marry any other man or woman so long as they are of sound mind.
Old 11-24-2008   #145
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute

Lol don't even cry Jasmine. You want to take another person's right away to do anything if you dont like it just as much as I voted Y on 8. So how could you not believe it?

The people have spoken, and no sir, they don't like it.

Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 11-24-2008   #146
Yugoloth
-----

Yugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Yugoloth

Quote:
Originally Said by Jazzy J View Post
Matt, you're an asshole and I can't believe people would vote to take people's rights away just because they could.

Proposition 8 is fucking stupid. Who the hell do they think they are (52.1% of Californians?) to take away a basic right everyone should have?

It shouldn't even have been up for a vote. It shouldn't be an amendment. It shouldn't be anywhere. Any man or woman should have the right to marry any other man or woman so long as they are of sound mind.
Bigot!

Thanks to California's fancy initiative laws, it's Matt's right to vote however he wants. And anyone who tells him otherwise is trying to suppress that right. Who's the asshole now?
Yugoloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008   #147
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

See what I mean Jasmine. Slap you silly ho

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 12-10-2008   #148
poopy
The ?mægå Mån

poopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to poopy

i was unable to post. i am not surprised that everyone attacked my opinions and not my substance. no one can defend death threats against clergy and if you did, try in a more concise mannor i won't take the three days needed to read your posts. especially when you are more concerned with the way i wrote instead of what i wrote.

i did do some skimming though. i was called a puppet to my religion's intollerence as well as close-minded. am i supposed to embrace a group of people who threaten a clergy member's life? denouncing those actions make me close minded? and to be clear my religion preaches tollerance, that's why you don't see a bunch of threats against homosexuals from me or anyone i am affiliated with. i could just as easily argue that your jumping down my throat on religious basis is close minded. maybe you need to open up and embrace religion, instead of assuming that its sole purpose to put down everybody else...

i can't say i have investigated civil unions or what they actually mean NOW. what i can say is if it were on a ballot with the same benefits as a marriage i would vote for it and i think it would pass. to be clear though i am not game for forcing companies to offer benefits to civil unions. i am for subsidizing and incentavising companies to offer benefits. forcing companies to do things creates fanny may and freddy mac situations.
this is what i meant when i used the "going for broke" expression. homosexuals tried to get gay marriage not a civil union (which they could have had), they lost and are now "broke" or have nothing to show for their efforts. maybe you need an example. i assume you have all seen deal or no deal and you see the banker offer a 6 digit figure (which would be civil unions) and you know they should take the offer but they want the million (the million is gay marriage), they don't take the deal. the next round the lose big and end up going home with 10k or less (broke and threatening the lives of people and their families) when they could have had 6 figures (civil unions). this is "going for broke"
BEWARE: When eating snacks remember that the fruit roll-up factory feels the need to endanger our lives with a potentially suffocatingly thin transluscent plastic. I am outraged and currently on my way out the door to start a petition for a boycott of any and all fruit roll-up snacks. Please send me a message or post your name, telephone number, and address, and some one will be by to get your signature. Thank You
poopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008   #149
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute

Since it's been awhile, what was your substance? If we all missed it, it would be helpful to paraphrase so we get it right rather than proceed with a misunderstanding.

Would you want to be judged by someone who believes what you do, but does something criminal that you would not? Interfering with protesters is looking for trouble and a fight. Why would anyone looking to scrap be surprised to find just that?

Without going back to reread old posts, I don't recall anyone defending death threats or asking you to embrace criminals. It may have been suggested looking in your own backyard for equally poor behavior, and that counterproductive behavior occurs from all sides. Again, since that does not represent the majority of any group currently being discussed, why should entire groups of people be judged by a handful of fanatics?

Not all of us put religion down, so why indiscriminately and incorrectly group everyone who responded as if we all said the same things when it's obvious that is untrue?

Religions and religious doctrines around the world have a rather bloody history. Humans have that general effect on each other, so history further documents. Is there a reason that should be ignored? Why should people choose a God or Gods because you think they should? Doesn't that thwart one of the intentions of the doctrine of free will on which America was founded?

Never seen Deal or No Deal, but comparing gambling to protests aimed at expanding rights seems oddly skewed; not a true parallel. Gambling and losing money implies absolute loss, as in that money is gone forever. Changing laws requires protests as part of a necessary process.

In an effort to maintain a productive, civil conversation about all of this, it would be optimal to continue with this reminder.
Quote:
Declaration of Independence

Here is the complete text of the Declaration of Independence.
The original spelling and capitalization have been retained.

(Adopted by Congress on July 4, 1776)
The Unanimous Declaration
of the Thirteen United States of America

When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bonds which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the laws of nature and of nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shown that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security. --Such has been the patient sufferance of these colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former systems of government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute tyranny over these states. To prove this, let facts be submitted to a candid world.
The remainder can be found at the link above, but the bottom line is Proposition 8 was wrong to be presented to begin with. It has a faulty premise and was not based on our obligation to the doctrine of free will, our Declaration of Independence and Constitutions.

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.
Old 12-11-2008   #150
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

I can't even see why Prop 8 is wrong to be presented? and.. there we go again. Back to the Constitution which means SO MUCH yet everyone forgets about it in their daily, up-to-the-minute life, when they're yelling at the punk kids across the street and smackin their children around... hahah give me a break

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 12-15-2008   #151
poopy
The ?mægå Mån

poopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond repute

i don't think that folks should chose a god or gods. i actually could care less what you or anyone else choses. i don't practice the religion i grew up in and i don't expect others to join one. i would like to point out that the same generalization you are accusing me of you have placed upon religion as having a bloody past. i don't think that that is acurate and don't except it. and the reason i can use the generalization where as it doesn't work in your counter arguement is that there is documented proof of religions being bloody and religions having not been bloody. the threats that were recieved were anonymous and i have heard absolutely no retort to them from the gay community. no clamoring as a community for the threats to stop from them. my logic dictates that they are ok with it if they don't condemn them. this is why i use the generalization and am quite comfortable in doing so.

if you haven't seen deal or no deal i am overly confident that you missed my point and perhaps live in a bubble. i am joking but seriously how do you not know what deal or no deal is? perhaps another example: my grandparents told me a story when i was a kid. a dog stares into a body of water and sees his reflection. the dog has a steak in his mouth and sees his reflection with a steak and wants both steaks. he releases his steak to grab at the reflection's steak. in doing so he loses his steak and is unable to come up with his reflection's steak in the process. the dog (gay community) has a steak (civil unions) but wants the second steak too (gay marriage) he "goes for broke" to get the second steak but ends up with nothing. this does not mean the dog cannot get another steak (civil union). it means the dog has to know how far he can reach for his meal before he loses ground already made. i can't make an example any simpler than that, i hope it will suffice.

my points were that people's lives are being unjustly altered. the man who lost his job in san francisco due to protesting gave $1000 to yes on prop 8. i hear all your arguements and i think that none of them address this problem or a man of god recieving death threats against him and his family. only one group is perpetrating (or having apathy for) these acts. violence and threats of violence are occuring and they are one sided. no one is interferring with these "protesters." it amazes me that your first defense for it is that you assume it is provoked. the LDS population here which is highly credited or blamed for the result of this vote is one that preaches tollerance and emphasises the family. i want to be clear about it too, the money and time was donated by the members here and not the organized religion centered in utah. people with there ideals, not the organized religion, fought the good fight and won.

and just a hypothetical, ask yourself if it was another group of people perpetrating these threats, as well as, the vandalism. ask yourself if it was a minority like the african community, or the spanish community, or the asian community that were doing this: do you think the reaction from this government would be the same? do you think a governor could turn a blind eye to it like the one here has? why is it that the gay community has full immunity?

the end fact remains the state of california has voted against gay marriage and now the aftermath needs to be dealt with and it is being swept under the rug under a cloud of "well you deserve it". this is your arguement. that death threats in today's america are alright. that a man's livelihood can "rightfully" be forced from him because he has a conviction and pursued it financially and well within his legal means. it sickens me that the liberal bias is just that. protect the rights of the vulnerable except when he doesn't agree with your politics. He deserves to be kicked while he is down for thinking in ways different from our own.
BEWARE: When eating snacks remember that the fruit roll-up factory feels the need to endanger our lives with a potentially suffocatingly thin transluscent plastic. I am outraged and currently on my way out the door to start a petition for a boycott of any and all fruit roll-up snacks. Please send me a message or post your name, telephone number, and address, and some one will be by to get your signature. Thank You

Last edited by poopy; 12-15-2008 at 05:04 AM.
Old 12-15-2008   #152
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

Quote:
Originally Said by poopy View Post
i don't think that folks should chose a god or gods. i actually could care less what you or anyone else choses. i don't practice the religion i grew up in and i don't expect others to join one. i would like to point out that the same generalization you are accusing me of you have placed upon religion as having a bloody past. i don't think that that is acurate and don't except it. and the reason i can use the generalization where as it doesn't work in your counter arguement is that there is documented proof of religions being bloody and religions having not been bloody. the threats that were recieved were anonymous and i have heard absolutely no retort to them from the gay community. no clamoring as a community for the threats to stop from them. my logic dictates that they are ok with it if they don't condemn them. this is why i use the generalization and am quite comfortable in doing so.
I'd like to respond in kind to all of that but really have no idea where to begin. Is this a case of, "if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit"? I'm nowhere near brilliant, but how can accounts of religious history that even opposing sides recall being "bloody", be disregarded?

Quote:
if you haven't seen deal or no deal i am overly confident that you missed my point and perhaps live in a bubble. i am joking but seriously how do you not know what deal or no deal is?
I live in a bubble because I don't watch game shows? ooohkey DOkey

Quote:
perhaps another example: my grandparents told me a story when i was a kid. a dog stares into a body of water and sees his reflection. the dog has a steak in his mouth and sees his reflection with a steak and wants both steaks. he releases his steak to grab at the reflection's steak. in doing so he loses his steak and is unable to come up with his reflection's steak in the process. the dog (gay community) has a steak (civil unions) but wants the second steak too (gay marriage) he "goes for broke" to get the second steak but ends up with nothing. this does not mean the dog cannot get another steak (civil union). it means the dog has to know how far he can reach for his meal before he loses ground already made. i can't make an example any simpler than that, i hope it will suffice.
That's an excellent analogy that no doubt has more meaning in different kind of circumstance.

As long as we're comparing dogs or animals to humans, I'd have to say that despite mistakes non-human animals make (aside from choosing fickle humans to give their infinite trust and loyalty), they learn and evolve from their mistakes far better than humans seem to. Non-human animals have many far more appealing attributes than humans. Among those is the absolute inability to judge (edit) or be spiteful (/edit) . If only humans were so fortunately blessed. Since you used an analogy with a dog, perhaps you didn't realize dogs don't mind "gay sex" at all. Even female dogs will hump another female dog. And dogs coexist quite well without religion as humans know it.

Do you see how this analogy does not fit? Humans need to understand when is a good time to walk away. That is something humans are oddly better equipped to do than dogs, yet we choose not to.

Quote:
my points were that people's lives are being unjustly altered. the man who lost his job in san francisco due to protesting gave $1000 to yes on prop 8. i hear all your arguements and i think that none of them address this problem or a man of god recieving death threats against him and his family.
Again, people looking for a fight should not be surprised to find one. What you're describing sounds to me, more like a bully who wants to whine about a bloody nose because he picked on someone he should have left alone to begin with. Claiming to be heterosexual - let's face it a lot of religious folk are not as heterosexual as they say - does not give anyone a legal right to use biblical writings as a weapon to threaten non-heterosexuals.

You're not going to corner me into defending criminal acts. I am wondering why you would though. It seems to be all about "fight with fire" and "do what ya gotta do" when it's your side, right? But the opposing side is just supposed to say uncle because they're the opposing side? *sighs* If only all battles could be so quickly and easily won. But they aren't because of the endless argument over who is right or wrong. Which brings us back inevitably to our legal guidelines. Stick to those and everyone goes home alive, even if they don't like what their neighbor does.

Quote:
only one group is perpetrating (or having apathy for) these acts. violence and threats of violence are occuring and they are one sided. no one is interferring with these "protesters."
I'd slap whoever misinformed you like that. That's pretty messed up.

Quote:
it amazes me that your first defense for it is that you assume it is provoked.
Assume? I read about the incident and the clergyman was not as innocent as he purported to be. It's important to be careful who you side with. Someone who doesn't mind making a fool of themselves certainly has no compunction about encouraging others to be just as foolish.

Quote:
the LDS population here which is highly credited or blamed for the result of this vote is one that preaches tollerance and emphasises the family.
That's an interesting statement. We have/had some relatives who are or were LDS members. They are or were among the most racist, intolerant, unforgiving people I've personally known. But maybe LDS members think and behave differently where you are than in the three states I've known them.

Quote:
i want to be clear about it too, the money and time was donated by the members here and not the organized religion centered in utah. people with there ideals, not the organized religion, fought the good fight and won.
What was the good fight? What about embracing those who need help and understanding? Nevermind.

Quote:
and just a hypothetical, ask yourself if it was another group of people perpetrating these threats, as well as, the vandalism. ask yourself if it was a minority like the african community, or the spanish community, or the asian community that were doing this: do you think the reaction from this government would be the same? do you think a governor could turn a blind eye to it like the one here has? why is it that the gay community has full immunity?
HOW does the gay community have full immunity? And the reaction from this government toward non-heterosexulas is the same and worse than toward race. Non-heterosexuality is naturally, as in through nature, indiscriminate among races and cultures. Can you prove there is any human race or culture that is only heterosexual? Discrimination against non-heterosexuals is so HUGE because it spans all races and cultures.
Quote:
the end fact remains the state of california has voted against gay marriage and now the aftermath needs to be dealt with and it is being swept under the rug under a cloud of "well you deserve it". this is your arguement. that death threats in today's america are alright. that a man's livelihood can "rightfully" be forced from him because he has a conviction and pursued it financially and well within his legal means. it sickens me that the liberal bias is just that. protect the rights of the vulnerable except when he doesn't agree with your politics. He deserves to be kicked while he is down for thinking in ways different from our own.
1) "well you deserve it" is not at all my argument and it's entirely unclear how you arrived at that conclusion.

2) Death threats are not alright for anyone. That includes death threats and hate crimes toward non-heterosexuals. Some things shouldn't be pursued just because it's legal, such as diminishing sovereign rights of other individuals. But, specific to your clergyman, he made a choice, pursued it then cried unfair when he received consequences for behaving very badly. BOO FUCKING HOO. I'd apologize for being blunt, but I really can't stand crybabies. Some people don't have the luxury of allowing what they think or believe to interfere with what must be done to get by. Animals do what they must, people choose what they do, however limited the choices may be sometimes. But if a person goes looking for a fight just because they can, they deserve a fight. That doesn't mean the opposition will fall down and play dead.

3) If that was directed at me, I'm not nearly as liberal as you would like to believe Advocating more rights is not a bad thing no matter how much brainwashing goes on to make people think it is. In one breath you say "protect the rights of the vulnerable except when he doesn't agree with your politics. He deserves to be kicked while he is down for thinking in ways different from our own". In the next you're speaking as if non-heterosexuals do not have the same rights as anyone who disagrees with them.
Have to run. Apologies for typos.

Last edited by my.dragons.lady; 12-19-2008 at 03:53 PM. Reason: typos and edit added
Old 12-17-2008   #153
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

im gonna get married, divorce and then get married again for the hell of it. Then I'll stay married for 3 years, divorce and get married right away again. Then I'll divorce, marry, divorce, and marry and divorce until I marry, then skip divorce and just go right ahead and marry another girl. I'll marry two girls, then divorce them both and realize how great it is to be single and dating.....

and then i'll get married again! yeah!

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 12-19-2008   #154
poopy
The ?mægå Mån

i think you live in the clouds. nothing you said makes half as much sense as your previous post and i didn't even read that one.

these were unprovoked death threats. your sweeping that under the rug like it doesn't matter. a death threat is a death threat is a death threat. it is inappropriate in any context and it still amazes me that you won't recognize that.

you know that the animal kingdom ostrasizes the animal products of incest. they don't tollerate them. wouldn't that be a form of recognizing and reacting to an another animal's inadequate sexual flings? of course our race used to do this too about a hundred years ago and we have moved on. but this had absolutely NOTHING to do with the point of my example in my last post and is completely irrelevent. my first example involved people and not dogs. my metaphor is to the expirience the dog had not to the dog. do you think i think that gay marriage is a steak too? i simplified the example to the point i thought a kindergartner could understand it and i am dumbfounded by your response because you either don't get it or you chose not to argue my points intentionally and instead argue my individual words

and that is as far as i read. because i am satisfied you have written absolutely nothing useful. i am satisfied that i have put you in your place in this arguement not even by means of logic because i won that arguement pages ago. i won the emotional side of this battle too because you refuse to rebut my points and continually attack my word structure. my points are as resolute as when i wrote them. and the only thing i have learned is that if i want an intelligent debate with someone who wants to discuss more than just fluff, i have to look elsewhere.

please save your time with a response because i will not be reading this thread again. i am satisfied in my words as being the winning arguement regardless of what you have to write in my permanent future absense from this thread.
Old 12-19-2008   #155
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by poopy View Post
you know that the animal kingdom ostrasizes the animal products of incest. they don't tollerate them.
This point is absolutely not true: animals cannot tell simply by looking/smelling/feeling another that they are the products of incest. Incest happens all the time in the animal kingdom. The only reason that it is not more common is that is can sometimes lead to genetic problems through an increased frequency of recessive homozygosity for detrimental alleles. It's not that other animals ostracize the products of incest; it's that they have less survivability. Animals that are the products of incest that can survive are treated just like any other: the bats don't keep track of who fucks who and which babies they have.
Homosexuality is also widespread and accepted in nature: a 1999 review by researcher Bruce Bagemihl shows that homosexual behavior, has been observed in close to 1500 species, ranging from primates to gut worms, and is well documented for 500 of them. The individuals are not ostracized as, really, animals have better things to worry about than the sexuality of their peers... you know, survival and such. Homosexual penguin couples actually steal other couples' eggs to fulfill the drive of reproduction. Even though homosexuality does not result in the propagation of genes, it is obviously not deleterious enough as a trait to warrant elimination: if it was, there would be no homosexuality.

So, before making grand claims about the feelings of nature towards "inadequate sexual flings," please do some research.

Also, since you claim to not be visiting this thread anymore, I'm taking the liberty of sending you this information in a PM. Such ignorance cannot be left alone.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Last edited by foxyphoenix; 12-19-2008 at 02:37 PM.
foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008   #156
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

Here we go here we go here we go now! Was just a matter of time :.)

Quote:
Jerry Brown files response to Prop. 8 challenge

Jerry Brown files response to Prop. 8 challenge
arojas@sacbee.com
Published Tuesday, Nov. 18, 2008

State Attorney General Jerry Brown on Monday urged the California Supreme Court to review legal challenges to Proposition 8, but declined to express an opinion on the gay marriage ban measure approved by voters.

In a written responses to lawsuits seeking to overturn the initiative, Brown's office said the state's highest court should allow the measure to remain in effect during the review period because doing otherwise would cause confusion.

"A stay would change the status quo, allowing marriages that might later be invalidated, and would engender uncertainty about the legal status of same-sex marriages in California," the attorney general's office said.

Brown's office, which was asked last week by the court to weigh in on the lawsuits, called on the justices "to provide certainty and finality in this matter."

The Democratic attorney general said earlier this month that his office would defend the "will of the people" in the Nov. 4 election.

At the same time, he said he would defend marriages contracted after the state Supreme Court voted 4 to 3 on May 15 that a state law against same-sex marriage was unconstitutional.

As a constitutional amendment, Proposition 8 overrode the court's ruling, but Brown said same-sex marriages performed before the election were not only lawful "but a fundamental constitutional right" because the measure did not state it was retroactive.

Opponents of the measure contend the initiative process was improperly used because they say only the Legislature can place a measure before voters that radically revises the state constitution.

They also maintain that Proposition 8 would undo the constitution's commitment to equality for everyone.

The court may act on the lawsuits as early Wednesday, when the justices hold their weekly conferences.

Supporters of the measure, which defines a legal marriage as between a man and a woman, filed court papers Monday urging the court to render a decision as quickly as possible.

"The people of California are entitled to prompt resolution of whether Proposition 8 properly amended their constitution," Andrew Pugno, an attorney for the Yes on 8 campaign, said in a statement.

Supporters expressed confidence that the court would uphold Proposition 8. But in their court papers, they noted that Brown opposed Proposition 8 and charged he cannot be counted on to defend the measure.

They also noted that Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger opposed the measure, as did Democratic members of the Legislature.

"Whatever one's view of the wisdom of Proposition 8, the people of California have spoken and their will should be respected," supporters said in their court papers.

Call Aurelio Rojas, Bee Capitol Bureau, (916) 326-5545.

Old 12-21-2008   #157
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

""Whatever one's view of the wisdom of Proposition 8, the people of California have spoken and their will should be respected."

THANK YOU!

Now will all the gays in the room, please shut up. Please shut up. Equality has spoken! LONG LIVE FREE VOTE!

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Last edited by psychoDiablo; 12-21-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-24-2008   #158
RubberDucky55
Almost Smart Master

RubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to RubberDucky55 Send a message via MSN to RubberDucky55 Send a message via Yahoo to RubberDucky55

blech, ick. just eww. this whole thing is just ridiculous. i'm not gonna bother with looking over the replies, but it's just sad how dirty tactics were used for this proposition. and i can't believe that they would try and revoke all of the marriages that have been issued so far. i can't even imagine how that would feel - for your marriage to be taken back by the state? fucking lame, to say the least.

i went to my first protest (it will go right along with 'my first day in kindergarten' and 'my first trip' in my baby book) with a few friends to nashville. a couple of the friends i went with were gay, so it was just a great experience being able to support them and stand up with them. plus, it was so energizing to see all the people there and for the cars to honk. maybe i'll post pictures of it. it was just an amazing experience in general. and i'm incredibly proud that i was able to be a part of it.

RubberDucky55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008   #159
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

Quote:
Originally Said by RubberDucky55 View Post
it was just a great experience being able to support them and stand up with them. plus, it was so energizing to see all the people there and for the cars to honk... it was just an amazing experience in general. and i'm incredibly proud that i was able to be a part of it.

you know what? Me too. All of us gathered around with the same idea. Even if some people's ideas went a little too far. We all knew why we were there. Everyone could hear the cars honking. To just see everyone's face in agreement on one thing for once..... Y on 8. It was a special feeling. Glad you brought that up Duck.

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 12-24-2008   #160
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

Quote:
Originally Said by RubberDucky55 View Post
blech, ick. just eww. this whole thing is just ridiculous. i'm not gonna bother with looking over the replies, but it's just sad how dirty tactics were used for this proposition. and i can't believe that they would try and revoke all of the marriages that have been issued so far. i can't even imagine how that would feel - for your marriage to be taken back by the state? fucking lame, to say the least.

i went to my first protest (it will go right along with 'my first day in kindergarten' and 'my first trip' in my baby book) with a few friends to nashville. a couple of the friends i went with were gay, so it was just a great experience being able to support them and stand up with them. plus, it was so energizing to see all the people there and for the cars to honk. maybe i'll post pictures of it. it was just an amazing experience in general. and i'm incredibly proud that i was able to be a part of it.
Good for you! The more heterosexuals who support equality in every way, the closer we get to it.