Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > AlmostSmartism > Front Page

Front Page The threads which appears on the front page. Add your comments or create your own front page threads.

Old 11-17-2008   #121
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Proposition 8

Quote:
Originally Said by Yugoloth View Post
Because you're such a sweetheart, that's why. Obama wasn't having a casual written argument on the Internet, so it makes sense that he didn't write essays.

Believe it or not, most arguments on this web site follow this very same path, where one dissenter is getting nitpicked to death by whatever the current AS orthodoxy is. Everyone will jump on this one guy, and suddenly his cogent disagreement is turned into 10 simultaneous arguments that are difficult to follow, time consuming to respond to, and typically irrelevant to the original topic.

Anyhow, "essay" doesn't imply five paragraphs with 1" margins. It's a writing style that answers a question or makes a statement, provides supporting arguments, then comes to a conclusion. It can be as short or as long as you like.

Do whatever you want, of course. It may even be that poopy saw all that stuff you posted and thought, "f--- that," and won't reply. You get to feel like a winner. Gets 'em every time.
What I'm saying is that this is incredibly informal: we don't need to stick to essay structures to get our points across. If we were writing standalone threads, then fine: a post is part of a conversation, though, and should respond to previous posts. I think the nitpicking is fine, too: each part of an argument should be a strong support to the final conclusion, and if they are able to be undermined, other persons should point the weaknesses out, either through comments or disagreements.
I don't "feel like a winner" because of some stupid argument on the internet; I posted during a slow time at work basically to pass the time. I genuinely feel that poopy's position on this issue is wrong, so I put a small effort in to try to make him see another side to the issue. It may be that he is either too closed-minded or lazy to either read or respond to my reply, but at least I tried, hey?

Quote:
Originally Said by Demento View Post
This is a '6 and older" appropriate book.

I think not.
Why not? Fairy tales are full of gore, incest, and rape (the Disney-fied ones slightly less so). I don't think a love between two princes is that damning to a child's psyche.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008   #122
Demento
Banned

Demento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Demento Send a message via MSN to Demento

Quote:
Originally Said by foxyphoenix View Post
I don't think a love between two princes is that damning to a child's psyche.
Thats the problem. You don't think.

And theres a difference between fairy tales and a childrens book. This book just goes to show that the whole No-8 claim that "No children are being introduced to homosexuality in school" is a crock of shit. Some class in san francisco was brought to a gay wedding as a field trip. Propaganda goes both ways.
Demento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008   #123
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo

Ya know, I see it as this.

When am I ever gonna have the right to ban someone from a right, if not prop 8? I think it's entirely fair that people say, "Yes on 8." It doesn't mean they hate anyone, it doesn't mean they don't like them, it doesn't mean they have something against it. It's simply that they do not want them doing that...

Just as the state of California bans me from smoking my pot out in public. Someone else banned me my right to smoke pot before I was even born.
So like FoxyPhoenix said, Connecticut is allowing gay marriage. Maybe the gays don't want to leave to Connecticut to get married, to come back to California....Well maybe I don't want to leave to Denver, Colorado to smoke some pot just to come back to California.

You're all gay crying about anyone trying to ban anyone from anything. THEY HAVE THE RIGHT

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008   #124
Sytrohs87
goliath

Sytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond reputeSytrohs87 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Sytrohs87 Send a message via MSN to Sytrohs87

Quote:
Originally Said by psychoDiablo View Post
ust as the state of California bans me from smoking my pot out in public. Someone else banned me my right to smoke pot before I was even born.
So like FoxyPhoenix said, Connecticut is allowing gay marriage. Maybe the gays don't want to leave to Connecticut to get married, to come back to California....Well maybe I don't want to leave to Denver, Colorado to smoke some pot just to come back to California.

You're all gay crying about anyone trying to ban anyone from anything. THEY HAVE THE RIGHT
Which is why I disagree with that ban as well.. Personally, I consider anything that doesn't cause harm to others worthy of legality. As long as you're the only one being hurt by your own actions, then the government shouldn't be able to tell you what you're doing is wrong and take that right away from you. Otherwise, there's not really much of a logical basis for a removal of one's rights to perform certain actions.

I don't blow cigarette smoke in a two-year-old's face, so I don't see a damn thing wrong with it.. smoking pot doesn't hurt anyone(except potentially the user if done heavily over long periods), so there isn't anything wrong with it.. allowing gays to marry doesn't harm anyone, so why the hell is it now illegal?

-The Mars Volta

"I consider the positions of kings and rulers as that of dust motes. I observe treasures of gold and gems as so many bricks and pebbles. I look upon the finest silken robes as tattered rags. I see myriad worlds of the universe as small seeds of fruit, and the greatest lake in India as a drop of oil on my foot. I perceive the teachings of the world to be the illusion of magicians. I discern the highest conception of emancipation as a golden brocade in a dream, and view the holy path of the illuminated ones as flowers appearing in one's eyes. I see meditation as a pillar of a mountain, Nirvana as a nightmare of daytime. I look upon the judgment of right and wrong as the serpentine dance of a dragon, and the rise and fall of beliefs as but traces left by the four seasons."

-Siddhartha Gautama
Sytrohs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008   #125
krashkitten
peace, love, unity, respect -

Location: Wherever I happen to be...which is currently Athens, AL
krashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to krashkitten Send a message via AIM to krashkitten Send a message via MSN to krashkitten Send a message via Yahoo to krashkitten

Quote:

As has been stated earlier in a different thread, I'm too tired to read seven pages of crap to argue my point (and inevitably win).

But I'll go off of this and see what I can do.

Technically, according to the constitution - remember that, kids? the thing that runs our country? - no, they don't. They don't have the right to deny something that has become a basic part of life. Comparing the denial of marriage to the denial of pot is ridiculous - pot is banned for everyone in the state of California, whereas heterosexual couples are still allowed to marry.

We've ceased defining people by the fact that they are human and have reduced ourselves to defining people by their sexual preferences. What business is it of yours who I fuck, when I fuck them, and how I fuck them? It shouldn't matter. I want the right to marry who I want, not because I want to shove my sexual preference in the face of the world but because I want to be able to stand at my lover's side when he or she is dying...and without marriage, that means if my partner is a woman, I'm not considered her immediate family...so I wouldn't be allowed in the room as she lies dying. It also means that any family members could dispute my position in her will.

Once upon a time, when marriage was purely a religious institution, the church would have had a right to deny us this. Now, it's become a legal matter, and it's not fair to tell anyone they don't have the right to marry who they want.
Luke 14:26
1 Timothy 2:11-2:15

"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it." - Aurthur Dent, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Quote:
"An intellectual is someone who has found something more interesting than sex." - Edgar Wallace

krashkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008   #126
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Demento View Post
Thats the problem. You don't think.

And theres a difference between fairy tales and a childrens book. This book just goes to show that the whole No-8 claim that "No children are being introduced to homosexuality in school" is a crock of shit. Some class in san francisco was brought to a gay wedding as a field trip. Propaganda goes both ways.
The prince meeting prince fairytale is also somewhat of a reality. There's a lot of history to back that up. There have been rulers whose wives or concubines and the like were purely a necessity and or formality. Even Alexander The Great, a real man's man, was bisexual and was reported to have only been with women as a secondary preference.

Some of y'all have really been missing out on history. Do you think there have not been songs or stories told over the centuries about non-heterosexual activities? Shakespeare recounted stories with non-heterosexuals. Greek mythology is loaded, and it's not all myths and fairytales :.)

That story about a prince meeting a prince just states one reality someone can believe or be entertained by as they choose. But as sovereign individuals, no one has a Constitutional right to keep them from their personal preferences so long as no other person's Constitutional rights are not violated.

It's interesting that anti-Proposition 8 supporters are ignoring commentary about states that made oral sex illegal. That's not a one way deal. It means everyone. Of course it's used with great discretion, but oral sex is illegal in a handful of states nonetheless. When you vote yes against actions like Proposition 8, you are effectively screwing yourself -pun intended - minus fun.

One theory(?) about Christmas is that it is based on pagan holidays during which anyone could have sex with anyone. Hypocrisy and ignorance are one reason I don't do holidays. Hypocrisy and ignorance is what keeps homophobia thriving. I say just let it go. Then we and people in the future all have MORE rights, not less, as our Consititutions intended.

"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." ~~ Cicero

"Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food." ~~ Hippocrates

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.

Last edited by my.dragons.lady; 11-17-2008 at 05:41 PM. Reason: typo
my.dragons.lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008   #127
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by krashkitten View Post

Technically, according to the constitution - remember that, kids? the thing that runs our country? - no, they don't. They don't have the right to deny something that has become a basic part of life. Comparing the denial of marriage to the denial of pot is ridiculous - pot is banned for everyone in the state of California, whereas heterosexual couples are still allowed to marry.
Technically, the constitution was written by a bunch of men who owned/killed/traded humans.

Technically, it took nearly 200 hundred years for that famous part in the Constitution to take effect. You know the part...The part about "all men are created equal."

Technically, The state of California allows persons to smoke pot medicinally.

So technically, My point of me being banned from smoking bud because I don't need it medicinally versus homosexuals not being allowed to get married because they aren't heterosexual is the same argument and technically, you already know that.

Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 11-17-2008   #128
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

my.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond reputemy.dragons.lady has a reputation beyond repute

Being spiteful digs bigger holes and serves no purpose.

"Trust, but verify." ~~ Damon Runyon * Said to me by Andy Stephenson of Hacking Democracy, in memory of and one account. Miss you much, Andy.
Old 11-17-2008   #129
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

Yeah, and we all know that...

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 11-17-2008   #130
krashkitten

krashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond reputekrashkitten has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to krashkitten Send a message via AIM to krashkitten Send a message via MSN to krashkitten Send a message via Yahoo to krashkitten

Quote:
Originally Said by my.dragons.lady View Post
One theory(?) about Christmas is that it is based on pagan holidays during which anyone could have sex with anyone.
Random correction:
According to some urban legends, the dates of Christmas and Christ's birth were 'adjusted' on the calendar to be closer to Yule, which is a pagan holiday.

It's Easter you're thinking of, which was also supposedly adjusted to be closer to Beltaine...which is a celebration of fertility, love, and life. Hence, 'sex with anyone'.

Also interesting to note: Bunnies and eggs? Symbols of fertility in old pagan cultures (druids and Picts, as examples). Now you know.

"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it." - Aurthur Dent, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Quote:
"An intellectual is someone who has found something more interesting than sex." - Edgar Wallace

Old 11-17-2008   #131
krashkitten

Quote:
So technically, My point of me being banned from smoking bud because I don't need it medicinally versus homosexuals not being allowed to get married because they aren't heterosexual is the same argument and technically, you already know that.

Aww, I missed you too.

Quote:

Old 11-18-2008   #132
my.dragons.lady
happy heretic

Quote:
Random correction:
According to some urban legends, the dates of Christmas and Christ's birth were 'adjusted' on the calendar to be closer to Yule, which is a pagan holiday.

It's Easter you're thinking of, which was also supposedly adjusted to be closer to Beltaine...which is a celebration of fertility, love, and life. Hence, 'sex with anyone'.

Also interesting to note: Bunnies and eggs? Symbols of fertility in old pagan cultures (druids and Picts, as examples). Now you know.
http://www.almostsmart.com/forums/sh...328#post323328

(Trying to keep this thread on topic.)

Old 11-18-2008   #133
Demento
Banned

Demento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Demento Send a message via MSN to Demento

Quote:
I want the right to marry who I want, not because I want to shove my sexual preference in the face of the world but because I want to be able to stand at my lover's side when he or she is dying...and without marriage, that means if my partner is a woman, I'm not considered her immediate family...so I wouldn't be allowed in the room as she lies dying. It also means that any family members could dispute my position in her will.
Dont let her/him die in a hospitol then?
Demento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008   #134
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

lol, she didnt know what she was talking about there Demento. I believe I've set the record straight for all this gay nonsense.

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 11-22-2008   #135
Jagged
Live, Love, Laugh.

Jagged has a reputation beyond reputeJagged has a reputation beyond reputeJagged has a reputation beyond reputeJagged has a reputation beyond reputeJagged has a reputation beyond reputeJagged has a reputation beyond reputeJagged has a reputation beyond reputeJagged has a reputation beyond reputeJagged has a reputation beyond reputeJagged has a reputation beyond reputeJagged has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Jagged

Gay or Straight you should have the same rights, that's absolutely ridiculous.

Jagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008   #136
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

Do you think if there was no Church, No on 8 would have passed?

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 11-23-2008   #137
foxyphoenix

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

I do not think Proposition 8 would have passed without churches, no.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

Old 11-23-2008   #138
Yugoloth
-----

Yugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond reputeYugoloth has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Yugoloth

unless there were no gay people too. then it would've passed.
Yugoloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008   #139
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

well i was just thinking that most churches dont even allow a baby to baptized if the mother and father weren't married Catholic.

i'd say that this Prop 8 isn't a right being banned, but more or less the Church wants nothing to do with it, as the rest of the straight people could really care less.

know what i mean?

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

Old 11-23-2008   #140
foxyphoenix

I am straight and I care about it... so I guess I don't know what you mean.

-
Carl Sagan

-
Charles Darwin

-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store