Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > Media Room > Movies & TV

Movies & TV Talk about your favorite films and TV shows or find out if a new movie is worth seeing.

Old 07-09-2007   #1
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

ablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to ablethevoice Send a message via Yahoo to ablethevoice
JAWS Remake??? WTF?

Theres a lot of chatter going around that Jaws is being considered for a remake. WTF is it with Hollywood and remakes? If you've never seen Jaws, believe me it's one of the best films I've ever seen. No film is "perfect" but there's something about the chemistry, cinematography and casting that makes it an all around winner. I can't see anyone around today as far as "actors" who could replace Roy Scheider, Richard Dreyfuss or Robert Shaw in their respective roles. Yeah the shark kinda sucked (even then) but we as viewers saw so little of it, and actual footage of REAL Great Whites was so skillfully edited into the film that one could easily dismiss the mechanical beast.

As far as I'm concerned, if it ain't broke, leave it the fuck alone! Psycho was re-made. Sucked. The Fog was re-made. El-suckola maximus. Even Speilberg's War Of The Worlds was inferior to the original (except for the 2 least important facets of a film: sound design and SFX). I hear that another classic SciFi is on the table for a remake- a made for TV miniseries, for shit's sake! This one being The Andromeda Strain! (Is it getting windy around here? I suspect the suckage from that one will be exceeded only by a black hole)...

I said recently that after getting ass-raped by that abortional attempt at "filmmaking" which masqueraded as STAR WARS EP3, I stopped going to the theater at all any more: well, a remake of Jaws might actually cause me to go postal. I'm sick of movies based on video games. I'm also sick of movies based on fucking COMIC BOOKS! I think every Hollywood writer, director and producer need to be sent off to a dark isolated place and left to rot away and the renegade/indie filmmakers given Hollywood. I bet those guys actually read BOOKS and could properly treat something like Asimov's FOUNDATION, Arthur C Clarke's CHILDHOOD's END, or Alan Dean Foster's SPELLSINGER with the respect they deserve

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." —Albert Einstein

“It's fortunate for governments that people don't think." - Adolph Hitler

Sturkis akidit ("shit happens") - Latin

Bent Ears Audio Laboratories - Better Music Through Chemistry

MUSIC IS LIKE CANDY. IT'S ONLY GOOD WHEN YOU GET RID OF ALL THE RAPPERS.
))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
ablethevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007   #2
HolokittyNX
Banned

Location: Southern California, but I might move back to Earth one day.
HolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond reputeHolokittyNX has a reputation beyond repute
Re: JAWS Remake??? WTF?

Foundation would take a dozen movies. And you'd have to start with faithful adaptations of some of the Robot novels.

By the way, as Robot novels go I highly recommend 'Caliban.' Written by Roger Allan MacBride, it examines the Three Laws in terms of how they affect a culture with 80-something robots to every person. It finally asks the question, "What are humans good for?" Very nice read.
HolokittyNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007   #3
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

Madre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. I think I heard recently that the shark in Jaws didn't even appear until the last half hour of the movie. But you would never know it because its unseen presence was so prevalent that, after seeing the movie, you THOUGHT you had seen it a lot.

Yeah, remakes are rarely as good as the original.
III.IIVIVIXIIVIVIIIVVIIIIXVIIIXIIIIIIIIVIIIIVVIIIV IIVIIIIIIVIII - Solomon (I Kings 7:23)
Madre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007   #4
ablethevoice
Vintage Human

ablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond reputeablethevoice has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to ablethevoice Send a message via Yahoo to ablethevoice

OK, you're right. FOUNDATION might be a bit ambitious for a single film no matter how well the screenplay was handled, but I still say Childhood's End would take to film quite well. Now that CGI has gotten to a truly photorealistic level (I'm basing this statement on SHREK 2 and CARS- two films that blew me away in the amount of visual detail), I think Niven's RINGWORLD could be done to a "T" by the Pixar studios. Foster's SPELLSINGER is another natural for the Pixar treatment. I could easily list 2 dozen BOOKS that would make great films with the right screenwriter and director as long as the Hollywood shit-factory could be kept at bay- otherwise no matter what great book is adapted, it will be another here today, gone tomorrow crapfest.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

"The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits." —Albert Einstein

“It's fortunate for governments that people don't think." - Adolph Hitler

Sturkis akidit ("shit happens") - Latin

Bent Ears Audio Laboratories - Better Music Through Chemistry

MUSIC IS LIKE CANDY. IT'S ONLY GOOD WHEN YOU GET RID OF ALL THE RAPPERS.
))#####D~~~~ (_l_)
ablethevoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007   #5
Guinness And Mohawks
So cut me open and hear me bleed

Guinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond reputeGuinness And Mohawks has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Guinness And Mohawks Send a message via Yahoo to Guinness And Mohawks

This is not worthy as its own thread, but they are also doing a remake of Escape From New York, with Gerard Butler as Snake.

Shamless Promotion: Check out The 2nd Ward
Guinness And Mohawks is offline   Reply With Quote