Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Debate & Politics

Debate & Politics Fight! Fight! Fight! Keep your arguments clean, and be constructive about getting your point across.

View Poll Results: What are your views on capital punishment?
Yes I want it 13 40.63%
No 9 28.13%
Not Sure 1 3.13%
In and ideal world with no false charges, yes 9 28.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2003   #1
captainarrogance
Trainee Member

captainarrogance is on a distinguished road
Capital Punishment

I just want to know what peoples views on Capital Punishment were. Im from the U.K where it does not happen except in extreme cases (treason, killing a chelsea pensioner). I would like to see what peoples views are I personally think that it should be reinstated but for only crimes such as murder, there should be nicer ways for it to be done than was the case in England before the ending of CP but it should still be done. But I am sensitive to cases where people are wrongly accused and charged, but my view is of an ideal world. This poll ais not just for places where there is no death penalty, also places that still have it I would like to see what you think.
Old 07-11-2003   #2
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo
im not sure if Cali has a death penalty. in fact, the only state i know of is Texas.

as for the falsely accused and all...well what are you gonna do about that?

i dont know though. i think its a lot worse to be in jail for the rest of your life, than to just be dead. i'd rather die than jail for life.

maybe they could ask the guy if he wants to die or go to jail or whatever.. ?

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003   #3
Chi-Master
Experienced Member

Chi-Master should be rewarded
Send a message via AIM to Chi-Master Send a message via Yahoo to Chi-Master
Personally I think we should do would arab countries do an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. You steal you get your hand chopped off. I can almost guarentee that the bastard won't steal again. Also with rapist and child molester meet Bubba a large man who will make you his bitch. Some may argue that the eye for an eye philosophy will make the world blind. It won't only the crimial world. Also for the murders i say reenstate gladiators. And make it a pay per view event. I would pay to see that shit. You see that would create more cash flow to allow prison and stuff to become more self sufficent and money can go to things that matter like education. God knows it is needed.

"Lucky in cards unlucky in love"

Rising from the ashes like the True Phoenix

Chi-Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003   #4
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo
lol. GLADIATOR EVENTS!

that'd be somethin to see.

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003   #5
captainarrogance
Trainee Member

captainarrogance is on a distinguished road
True thats an idea but i fall back on the point of false charges, there are still cases to day of people who were wrongly hanged in my country, because the evidence wasn't conclusive enough.
Old 07-15-2003   #6
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic
Well, i think letting the punishment fit the crime is probably the best route to go.

I believe that people should be punished more for what they do, like sometimes someone will kill a little kid and then be out of jail in less than 10 years. I don't think that's fair. Then someone who steals something little gets life in jail.

Sometimes i wish we had something like they have in other countries, like the example Chi Master stated. You can bet there would be less crime. Or have really hard time in jail, like having to WORK to eat, no t.v, no 'play time.' They committed a crime, prison should be hell, so that when/if they get out, they will think twice about committing a crime again. But that's not happening. Prison time is getting easier to do. You don't have to pay taxes, there are t.v's there, you get play time, you don't have to cook or anything.
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. – Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003   #7
makilwen

makilwen should be rewarded
Send a message via AIM to makilwen
yeah, i think it's crap that people in prison get cable and free room and board. So im living on the streets, hungry, if I go to jail I get food, bed and Cable!! Definately agree that they should have to work for room&board, definately forget the freaking cable tv., make them read or something to stimulate a little growth in their twisted minds.

~Hey baby, want a green card?
COLDLY PRACTICAL

"Omg, i've never seen a white chick in a Sari before!"
makilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003   #8
Tight as a Virgin
Very Experienced Member

Tight as a Virgin is an unknown quantity at this point
Death penalty=quick release from the burden of guilt. Thats an argument against it. BUT if person feels guilty tho, shouldn't they be forgiven? And if they don't feel guilty, then no punishment will change that. They'll feel bad yeah, but only bad THAT THEY WERE CAUGHT!!

It'll never be the case that no mistakes are made; human beings will never be perfect. And the death penalty is final, so pardon can't be granted like it can in prison.

Any1 ever seen "The Green Mile" or read the book? That'll put you off Capital Punishment!!

When life gets you down, EAT MALTESERS!!!
Tight as a Virgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003   #9
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
I think its just everyone's opinion. I've heard cases where an innocent person is almost executed. I think the death penalty should only be issued when there is FINAL evidence that the person DID INDEED do it, such as DNA. Innocent people should not have to go through that.

But some crimes there is no other punishment than death. Its like i mentioned, let the punishment fit the crime. Feeling guilty or not, they committed that crime, you know?

Jenn-Kitty
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. – Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-07-2003   #10
Justmehere

Justmehere is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Justmehere
Quote:
Originally posted by Chi-Master
Personally I think we should do would arab countries do an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. You steal you get your hand chopped off. I can almost guarentee that the bastard won't steal again. Also with rapist and child molester meet Bubba a large man who will make you his bitch. Some may argue that the eye for an eye philosophy will make the world blind. It won't only the crimial world. Also for the murders i say reenstate gladiators. And make it a pay per view event. I would pay to see that shit. You see that would create more cash flow to allow prison and stuff to become more self sufficent and money can go to things that matter like education. God knows it is needed.
yeah thats true it might work in the US if it werent for a few laws we set up, if you chopped off a guys hand for stealing you know 15 lawyers would be calling him up and saying they want to be his friend just so they can sue the pants of the government, you see thats why i like the idea of a dictator, just as long as the guy's not mentally insane. it would only be a partial dictatorship though, like every 4 years we change dictators and the people choose the dictator.. lol.. ok yeah il stop.. but yeah if we really did that eye for an eye thing there would be a million lawsuits for cruel and unusual punishment.. but im all for the death penalty if u give it to people that really did commit murder.

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

~President, George W. Bush

*hangs head in shame.. then laughs*
Justmehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003   #11
poopy
The ?mægå Mån

poopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to poopy
i know in many states they still do have the death penalty (mass and illinois) but they just abandoned usage of it. i personally think it should be used but with severe discrepancy. repeat felons should have the 3 strike rule for death penalty and repeat misdemeanorists should have life.
BEWARE: When eating snacks remember that the fruit roll-up factory feels the need to endanger our lives with a potentially suffocatingly thin transluscent plastic. I am outraged and currently on my way out the door to start a petition for a boycott of any and all fruit roll-up snacks. Please send me a message or post your name, telephone number, and address, and some one will be by to get your signature. Thank You
poopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003   #12
junki

junki is an Almost Smart godjunki is an Almost Smart godjunki is an Almost Smart godjunki is an Almost Smart godjunki is an Almost Smart godjunki is an Almost Smart godjunki is an Almost Smart godjunki is an Almost Smart godjunki is an Almost Smart godjunki is an Almost Smart godjunki is an Almost Smart god
Consistency

This issue is a perfect illustration of how inconsistent we are in the US with our political platforms. Most of us fall in two categories: an opponent of capital punishment who supports legalized abortion – or a supporter of capital punishment who wants to abolish abortion. Wow step back from that one for a moment. So some think it is OK to kill an innocent unborn baby, while thinking it is wrong to kill a serial murderer, rapist, pedophile. And the other folks feel a woman does not have the right to chose, but that our government does have the right to chose life or death for some people. I am pro-choice and pro capital punishment. If someone is so evil that they are sentenced to 746 years in prison – it is probably best for everyone if that inmate gets executed.
junki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003   #13
sienatter

sienatter is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to sienatter Send a message via Yahoo to sienatter
i think its best if the prisoner get exicuted if he has no chance of getting out....think of what it would feel like to know your whole life is going to be in small spaces forever?...i'd rather die....and also it comes down to the fact that some people do deserve to die....insane or not because if your insane,,, what possible good could you be doing for yourself or others alive and in pointless therepy forever, besides letting others not have to feel guilt?
Old 08-10-2003   #14
SkOoKiE SpRiTe
Well Known Member

Location: could live in italy, but i fell in love with someone who couldn't leave his mommy's side...
SkOoKiE SpRiTe will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to SkOoKiE SpRiTe
CAPITAL PUNISHMENT... yes... i think we ought to have it...

if there were harsher punishments for things people would be less likely to commit certain crimes... concidering all the idiot bastards would be a dieing race...

there are too many murderers who walk off scott-free on parol and such... it's rediculous... our tax dollars are going to feed, cloth, and house thousands of people who commit crimes against our people... what the hell is wrong with our government!!!!

altho i'm an american... i feel it is bull shit that people keep claiming "freedom! freedom! we came over here to have free will!"

and i agree... but there has got to be a breaking point where enough is enough... there are boundaries... open oppinions and freedom of religion are the main reasons of coming to this country in the first place!!!

not to come and kill each other off... and slander each other... and all that bull shit... what ever happened to morals?! no no... people have none of those anymore... all they want is freedom to rape people and kill them... and rob people and have shoot outs on the street!

if treason were reason of death here... we prolly wouldn't have enough people left to concider ourselves a country... and that's sad...

all of those people out there that take your freedoms for granit out to think about that... even tho i know you wont... heartless bastards... i got one more year... and i'm leavin the country... too much controversy and materialism and FAKE people here... damn you all!
Old 08-10-2003   #15
poopy
The ?mægå Mån

poopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond reputepoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to poopy
junki, to defend my point of view:
killing a criminal and an unborn baby are 2 very separate issues. hey next time ask the unborn baby if it had a choice in the matter. i mean at least the criminal had a choice in his/her actions right? and for statistical purposes did you know that there are more aborted babies than there were casualties in any american war?
BEWARE: When eating snacks remember that the fruit roll-up factory feels the need to endanger our lives with a potentially suffocatingly thin transluscent plastic. I am outraged and currently on my way out the door to start a petition for a boycott of any and all fruit roll-up snacks. Please send me a message or post your name, telephone number, and address, and some one will be by to get your signature. Thank You
poopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003   #16
Justmehere

Justmehere is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Justmehere
i would be leaving the country right after i leave college but a few stupid people wont let me.. damn family and gf's oh well looks like im stuck in this God forsaken country for my whole life, i really would have liked to live in england though..

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

~President, George W. Bush

*hangs head in shame.. then laughs*
Justmehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003   #17
SkOoKiE SpRiTe
Well Known Member

Location: could live in italy, but i fell in love with someone who couldn't leave his mommy's side...
SkOoKiE SpRiTe will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to SkOoKiE SpRiTe
hoo ray for england!!! i always wanted to live there!!!

but concidering my boyfriend is from canada... and he seems to reather like it there... i'll be moving there... which i wont mind... as long as he doesn't jump ship on me and leave me for another chick.... wouldn't be the first time a guy couldn't just stick with one chick...
Old 08-11-2003   #18
geminijoe28
Well Known Member

geminijoe28 is on a distinguished road
i am in favor of the death penalty...im from texas
i think depending on the crime the person should get the death penatly, murder, rape etc...and plus i think its unfair that a person who took the life of someone you love get's their life spared

i also think that dna evidence should and other forensics should determine this as well,,,its sad when you find out the person who died or in prison for a long time was really innocent all that time..

another thing i hate is when they say they "found God" and want to be released cuz of it..arrrrr..paul rodriguez, a comedian, mentioned this on a HBO special he did relating to the death penalty..he said "you found God?, good you'll see him when you get there!" which i think is true..if u claim to have found God, just admit your sins and recieve the punishment, i mean they found God right? they are forgiven arn't they?

ironically enough someone in a town very close to mine was supposed to be executed....but he wasnt because on the day of his execution, his lawyers came in and said.."oh wait, he might be mentally retarted" this pissed me off...they waited all this time to pull this crap..what's funny is that they interviewed the killer's family and 2 of his sisters kids showed the cameraman the presents he sends them...the presents are 2 drawings of mickey mouse on a hankerchief..he also wrote something like "happy birthday or i love you" on them...when i saw that i thought wow..for a "mentally retarted" person all of his lines were perfect, he knew what color were to what part, everything.

they crime he commmited by the way was the rape and murder of a 3 yr old boy.
Old 08-17-2003   #19
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

"another thing i hate is when they say they "found God" and want to be released cuz of it..arrrrr..paul rodriguez, a comedian, mentioned this on a HBO special he did relating to the death penalty..he said "you found God?, good you'll see him when you get there!" which i think is true..if u claim to have found God, just admit your sins and recieve the punishment, i mean they found God right? they are forgiven arn't they? "

Yeah, it pisses me off too, when they say that we should leave the judgement "up to God." I think that whoever the person is committed the crime on Earth, and should be punished accordingly.

If there is a heaven/afterlife, i'm sure he'd be judged just the same as if he had died naturally in jail. A lot of humans can't just "forgive" a huge crime, maybe the person's forgiveness will come in the afterlife. That's just what i think. Yes, i am pro death penalty.

And regarding abortion--i'm not pro choice. The baby doesn't have a choice in the matter. The baby is the innocent, it committed no crime.

Jenn
Old 08-18-2003   #20
RubberDucky55
Almost Smart Master

RubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond reputeRubberDucky55 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to RubberDucky55 Send a message via MSN to RubberDucky55 Send a message via Yahoo to RubberDucky55
i think it would be just better to keep them in prison, because if your gonna have life in jail no matter what, you just might as well want to die, which im sure what most of them want. they would be just getting it over with fast and quick if they were executed. we should just let them sit and rot in jail and let their conscience and guilt kill them....
RubberDucky55 is offline   Reply With Quote