Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > The Lounge > Debate & Politics

Debate & Politics Fight! Fight! Fight! Keep your arguments clean, and be constructive about getting your point across.

Old 11-26-2004   #1
SkOoKiE SpRiTe
Well Known Member

Location: could live in italy, but i fell in love with someone who couldn't leave his mommy's side...
SkOoKiE SpRiTe will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to SkOoKiE SpRiTe
making a statement: what punk really is and isn't

this goes out to all those fucking fashion-freak assholes... you're wake up and correction... open your eyes kiddies... punk is more than just a look! or a band trying to sound punk... or doesn't claim to be punk, but everyone who thinks they know what "punk" is calls them punk... unfortunatly for the rest of us... some people are just too stupid to even laugh at...

Quote:
Originally Said by kyle
punk is dead, you should have just made this the all things rock thread.
sorry, kyle... but, you should really have your ass kicked for that comment... not everything can be rock... just like not everything can be punk... people need to stop trying to be what they are not... and to stop trying to turn everyone into what they want them to be...

punk... true punk... is not and never will be "dead"... you are an idiot to think so... it's unending... there will always be a wave of kids who like certain things and live by certain standards... not because it's the in thing... or because it's cool... but because it's what they like and enjoy and those who fuck with it and try to make it a fad should be shot repeatedly or curb-stomped...
punk is a way of life... not a way to dress... or everyone trying to make music and call it punk so the trendy little fucks will listen to it... just because mtv said so... damn the media to hell and all the assholes who only listen to "punk" and dress "punk" to be the temporary stereotipical "cool" can burn right along with it! people need to realize that eventually the "in-stage" of the stereotipical "punk" will fade and then you all will be trying to yet again be just something else that you're not... the next "in-thing"... get a grip people... and be yourself! true punks be true punks... the rest of you get your own fucking identity... most of you don't even really like punk... you're all in it for the fashion... remember, this thread is not slamming everingone... but, to those of you fakes out there that this applies to... fuck you all... learn to be your own damn self and stop trying to be something you are not!

i know this will prolly strike up a controversy... so lets find out who the fakes are... those vain mother fuckers... and who those who are true to themselves are... this will be fun...

*note to kyle*---> please try to keep in mind this was not in anyway bashing you... just taking your comment and making a new thread to liven up the croud... and pour out some truth on some unfortunate fashion-freak kids... in a very blunt mannor...
Old 11-26-2004   #2
kyle
Lawl ^^

kyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to kyle Send a message via MSN to kyle Send a message via Yahoo to kyle Send a message via Skype™ to kyle
Re: making a statement: what punk really is and isn't

wtf is your obsession with my comment? god your creepy
Old 11-26-2004   #3
superchicken002
Elite Member

superchicken002 is an Almost Smart godsuperchicken002 is an Almost Smart godsuperchicken002 is an Almost Smart godsuperchicken002 is an Almost Smart godsuperchicken002 is an Almost Smart godsuperchicken002 is an Almost Smart godsuperchicken002 is an Almost Smart godsuperchicken002 is an Almost Smart godsuperchicken002 is an Almost Smart godsuperchicken002 is an Almost Smart godsuperchicken002 is an Almost Smart god
Send a message via AIM to superchicken002 Send a message via MSN to superchicken002 Send a message via Yahoo to superchicken002

I listen to punk but I don't even dress in that style.. I don't listen to shit on MTV unless I like it and I don't think a lot of people dress in that way just because that is the way they do it on MTV. I have a lot of friends who were before not exposed to punk and they started listening to it and in some ways it changed their personalities.. However, I think your point of saying that people shouldn't dress punk if they really are not is stupid. I don't dress to fit any category and I think people who dress to fit in a category are stupid. I dress however the fuck I want to. You are hypocritical in saying that people shouldn't dress punk like because it is the in thing because I dont think "true punks" are dressing in a certain way to please anyone.

So without trying to... you made punk another trend. Even more than those trendy people who dress like it because it is an in thing. You are saying there are "true punks" and "fake punks" but that is ridiculous. Punk is a genre of music and not a lifestyle. Sorry. You dress to fit your personality. Otherwise, you are trying to impress someone else by the way you dress. Maybe not you personally.. but I think people should be able to dress however the fuck they want to without people jumping on their backs about being "fake".
Old 11-26-2004   #4
kyle
Lawl ^^

kyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond reputekyle has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to kyle Send a message via MSN to kyle Send a message via Yahoo to kyle Send a message via Skype™ to kyle

i cannot name a modern punk band except maybe flogging molly or drop kick murphys in my opion it did die in the 80's. i have nothing against punk but it seems that it has sort of gotten mixed in with that shit emo.
Old 11-26-2004   #5
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo

the 'punk' fashion is okay. but i dont know about those fools wearing tight ass pants that would be capri's on a fifteen year old girl. i wish i could beat those guys up. all of them. Leave your sister's pants alone!

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004   #6
stonedfish

stonedfish has made a few great posts

Maybe you should stop focusing on what other people think about you.

Maybe you should focus your rage on an issue that actually matters.

You'll grow out of this, eventually.

In the meantime, check out SLC Punk.
Old 11-26-2004   #7
Indiana Tones
Almost Smart Master

Indiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Indiana Tones Send a message via Yahoo to Indiana Tones

SLC Punk kicks ass. I've seen that movie like 4 times.
Old 11-27-2004   #8
psychoDiablo
Thx for the memories

psychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond reputepsychoDiablo has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to psychoDiablo Send a message via Yahoo to psychoDiablo

yea, that movie showe dme about the Punk movement. haha.

it actually is a good movie. sucks that fool died though. :(

it is a good movie.

To chill is to be chillin.
Chillin is cooperating with your surroundings, unknowing'st of what everything is capable of; and all the while, as it happens and after, to accept without any thought of good or bad, but mainly, just enjoying rather deeply, the moment you had to sit and think. (Not thinking.)

|-Mr.MCR-|

Will you write
Will you love
Will you enjoy
Life when I am gone?
You will.
by Angelina

"I have lived life as horrible as it was, and as beautiful as it has become."
psychoDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004   #9
kyle
Lawl ^^

hmm i need to go rent that
Old 11-27-2004   #10
Mr Stabby
Turned out to be crazy weird

Mr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by stonedfish
You'll grow out of this, eventually.
Oh I like this, I really do, bravo *claps sarcastically*....

I hate this type of statement, "you'll grow out of this" can't some people understand that, regardless of fasion or music (and I mean the 'punk music' of now) that people believe is punk (or any other genre that people use to pigeon hole others). Punk is not that at all, those were created by the mtv generations and stupid mother fuckers who are pursuaded by anything. Punk true punk, was created in the 70's, and it was an attack at 70's rock which had turned stale and too bland. Sex Pistols, The Clash, Ramones are just some of the few which were key components of it....back then it was a was not only an attack at the stale rock, but to the 'system' that was trying to hold everyone back, getting past the agressive angry lyrics it was a movement which was showing that there are people who will not just give up their rights.....

Much like the hippy movement of the 60's....music was the key to holding it all together unfortunately the music has slackened off alot as of late, new punk has seemingly replaced it, and while its good and I like it(barring the non punk mother fuckers who are called punk), the punk of then is dead, but the anarchists still are around now, just some have chosen to dress a lil more conservativly now from what they used to be like, but they still are true to who they were....I know old punks from back years ago, and while they may not look like they used to, they still are against the controlling system and still stand for what they believe in...
Old 11-27-2004   #11
Kali
groingrabbingly good!

Kali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond reputeKali has a reputation beyond repute

why does everybody insist on pigeon-holing types of music?

yes, there was punk in the sixites, it's where it's all rooted - but that's not to say that the style can't develop. just because now it isn't like it was doesn't mean it doesn't fall under the same catergory.

you'd be hard pressed to say that rock isn't rock simply because it isn't all like the stones and whatnot, because everyone knows it has developed, there are different musicians and different areas to rock - why can't punk be the same?

to say that punk was the 60s and nothing has been proper punk since then is a very sad way of looking at music, and in fact stifles development. we can't afford to say 'no you can't change that because then it's wrong' because then music wouldn't go anywhere, and the beauty of music is that it's a constantly developing artform - new styles and genres and ways of playing music are being created all the time.

if we told people not to be creative because it might move away from the way things 'should be' then we'd all still be listening to beethoven and mozart.
Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004   #12
Mr Stabby

Mr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond reputeMr Stabby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Kali
why does everybody insist on pigeon-holing types of music?

yes, there was punk in the sixites, it's where it's all rooted - but that's not to say that the style can't develop. just because now it isn't like it was doesn't mean it doesn't fall under the same catergory.

you'd be hard pressed to say that rock isn't rock simply because it isn't all like the stones and whatnot, because everyone knows it has developed, there are different musicians and different areas to rock - why can't punk be the same?

to say that punk was the 60s and nothing has been proper punk since then is a very sad way of looking at music, and in fact stifles development. we can't afford to say 'no you can't change that because then it's wrong' because then music wouldn't go anywhere, and the beauty of music is that it's a constantly developing artform - new styles and genres and ways of playing music are being created all the time.

if we told people not to be creative because it might move away from the way things 'should be' then we'd all still be listening to beethoven and mozart.
I was trying to get acrossed that what is classed as punk now, is very watered down, its more controlled by the industry. Ok thats not to say the early bands werent as well, but they also broke away from that, just listen to the sex pistols song 'emi' to hear that...

Its just that now music isnt so much creative, as more something that is just a trend, something for the magazines and other fasion/industry mogels to sell so it can help them acheive something at the time.....

more and more music acts are created just for the sole purpose of selling an idea, and thats not right. Pop music (not utilizing the actual term this WAS used for) now is just there to sell and idea of beauty and success to millions of teenagers and such around the world who are easily swayed to buying a product because this group uses it, or they look a certain way because their idol does....

I know music evolves, and that is good, what im getting acrossed is the message 'old' punk gave isnt the same thing the 'new' punk bands are selling now.
Old 11-27-2004   #13
Blackass
groingrabbingly good!

Blackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Blackass

Punk is nothing but a rebelling cry for attention. Why else would they wear outlandish clothes? Or make music that doesn't sound pleasing to the ear? That's all it is, nothing more, nothing less.
Blackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004   #14
Mr Stabby

Quote:
Originally Said by Bleed Black
Punk is nothing but a rebelling cry for attention. Why else would they wear outlandish clothes? Or make music that doesn't sound pleasing to the ear? That's all it is, nothing more, nothing less.
its not a cry for attention you jackass, its outlandish so to seperate from the main stays of controlled society.....and so its not pleasing to you? do you remember we spent 2 pages saying rap and eminem isnt pleasing to us? each to his own....
Old 11-27-2004   #15
Demento
Banned

Demento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Demento Send a message via MSN to Demento

Why do people wear washcloaths pinned to their ass? Who told them that looked good?

Demento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004   #16
Indiana Tones
Almost Smart Master

Indiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond reputeIndiana Tones has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Indiana Tones Send a message via Yahoo to Indiana Tones

I've never seen that before.
Old 11-27-2004   #17
Demento
Banned

Demento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond reputeDemento has a reputation beyond repute

Oh u should! its quite amusing. take a ride over to my school sometime. After having the huge black cloaks, or tiny black pants with patches everywhere, they have a washcloth safety-pinned to their ass. the washcloth of course.. has more pins/patches on it.

Old 11-27-2004   #18
Indiana Tones
Almost Smart Master

Oh wow. My school must be sheltered out here in the middle of nowhere. The worst we have is this one kid with green hair.
Old 11-27-2004   #19
Demento
Banned

Thats it?? Geez. Lol. My school DOES have 4,000 students, so that might be the problem too. We always have hundreds of kids going out for teams, yea, its a mess.

Old 11-27-2004   #20
Blackass
groingrabbingly good!

Blackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond reputeBlackass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Blackass

Quote:
Originally Said by Haunted Madness
its not a cry for attention you jackass, its outlandish so to seperate from the main stays of controlled society.....and so its not pleasing to you? do you remember we spent 2 pages saying rap and eminem isnt pleasing to us? each to his own....
I knew someone would reply like this. The reason they want to seperate from the mainstream is so they get attention. Many had no attention paid to them as children, and that's reflected in their lifestyle. I should know, I've been there and back.
Blackass is offline   Reply With Quote