Almost Smart  

Go Back   Almost Smart > AlmostSmartism > Front Page > Back Page News

Back Page News Not quite front page material.

Old 07-20-2012   #1
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Christian
Bloodbath in Denver during Batman Premiere

Quote:
14 dead, 50 wounded in shooting at Colorado theater, police chief says

(CNN)
A heavily armed gunman killed at least 14 people and wounded 50 more during an early Friday morning screening of the new Batman movie at an Aurora, Colorado, theater, police Chief Dan Oates told reporters.

Police arrested a man believed to be the shooter in a rear parking lot of the theater, Frank Fania, a police spokesman, told CNN. The suspect was not immediately identified, though Fania said he was believed to be in his early 20s.

[more..]
[CNN.com]
Meh, I hate to read such news that get worse with every single word you read: Shooting, Colorado, Suburb of Denver, Aurora*..

We called Hamana just a minute ago, she and Weasel haven't been there and are okay. We called Hamana immediately, no matter of her timezone. She and Weasel haven't been there and are okay.
Phew..

It must have happened in 'City Center' a district(?) of Aurora and about 8 miles away from where most of our Denver'ians life. [Video]

*from a German newslet
Old 07-20-2012   #2
Jenn and tonic
"maaaaagic!"

Jenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond reputeJenn and tonic has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Jenn and tonic
Re: Bloodbath in Denver during Batman Premiere

Oh my! I new they lived in Colorado but I didn't realize they lived so close. How scary!
When all government, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the Center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated. Thomas Jefferson
Jenn and tonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012   #3
Zanahoria_Picante
Orange you glad she's not a banana?

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

Horrifying.

Such a tragedy. And, as Nolan said in a statement, senseless. This madman took what was meant to be fun, entertaining camaraderie with fans and turned it into a nightmare for these people.

Deepest sympathies for the victims and their families.

How could anyone predict that this would happen, and try to stop it, even looking at the person who committed this heinous, devastating crime? What could be done to prevent these things from happening again? Could anything have been done?

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Zanahoria_Picante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012   #4
Madre
Double Plus Good Mod!

Madre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond reputeMadre has a reputation beyond repute

I live about 8 miles away from the theater and didn't know anything until I woke up this morning. My sister is currently in England with her daughter who just had a baby girl last week. She tried calling my cell phone at 6:30 a.m. but it was charging downstairs and I didn't hear it. When I got up and saw the news and the weird phone number on my cell phone, I knew that my sister in England had already heard the news before I did.

Laura lives about 4 miles away from the theater. She heard lots of sirens about the time she went to bed and wondered, but thought that it might be a fire because there is a fire station close by. (Apparently every emergency vehicle and ambulance was called to the site.) Her fiance works as a manager at a different movie theater and was at work during his theater's midnight showing of Batman. When he came home about 4 a.m., he got out his iPad and showed her the news.

Hamana and Weasel were awakened by Hamana's parents at 5 a.m. They wondered why her parents were calling in the early morning to ask if she might have been at a movie theater. It was all very bizarre. Because it happened in the middle of the night, relatives in Europe heard the news before we did.
III.IIVIVIXIIVIVIIIVVIIIIXVIIIXIIIIIIIIVIIIIVVIIIV IIVIIIIIIVIII - Solomon (I Kings 7:23)
Madre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012   #5
Zanahoria_Picante

Zanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond reputeZanahoria_Picante has a reputation beyond repute

^ That is so, so scary. I'm very glad, to say the least, that you all are alright. I did immediately think of you when I heard this happened in Colorado.

A group of about 10 friends and I went to a midnight premiere near us last night. The "what-ifs," even at a distance, are hard to avoid.

My heart really does--in the most poignant sense--go out to all who were involved in this. Devastating. It could have happened to anyone, anywhere, but it happened to them. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

"When I first read the dictionary, I thought it was a long poem about everything."
Steven Wright

;
Old 07-21-2012   #6
Christian
Super Moderator

Christian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond reputeChristian has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so glad everyone (of us) is fine. I was a bit worried about Laura, I had no idea she lives that close to the Theater.
Old 07-21-2012   #7
foxyphoenix
Ubi dubium, ibi libertas.

foxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond reputefoxyphoenix has a reputation beyond repute

A recent alum of Weasel, PunkTinkerBell, and my high school was one of the 12 killed. It was his birthday.

One of my best friends was in the adjacent showing with his wife. Bullets flew into their theater, and their lives were saved by a man who blocked the emergency exit nearby so the gunman could not enter the lobby.

Apparently, there are still 8 people in area hospitals in critical condition.

I can't count how many midnight premieres I have seen at that theater. My brother's friends were there: I thank my lucky stars that he was on vacation at the time. So far, they are all fine.

This place is our home.

There are no words.

"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
-
Carl Sagan

"It is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."
-
Charles Darwin

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of the spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected."
-
Chief Seattle

Almost Smart Store

foxyphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012   #8
Christian
Super Moderator

^ Oh my, that's horrible to hear..
Old 08-01-2012   #9
Jagged
Live, Love, Laugh.

Jagged has a reputation beyond reputeJagged has a reputation beyond reputeJagged has a reputation beyond reputeJagged has a reputation beyond reputeJagged has a reputation beyond reputeJagged has a reputation beyond reputeJagged has a reputation beyond reputeJagged has a reputation beyond reputeJagged has a reputation beyond reputeJagged has a reputation beyond reputeJagged has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Jagged

The articles keep getting worse too! Booby trapping his apartment, writing a plan to his psychiatrist, I hope he gets what he deserves, this should be first degree murder on multiple counts.

Jagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012   #10
Psychosis
*Watch This Space*

Psychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond reputePsychosis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Said by Jagged View Post
The articles keep getting worse too! Booby trapping his apartment, writing a plan to his psychiatrist, I hope he gets what he deserves, this should be first degree murder on multiple counts.
I think thats what they are going for...I know he was charged a day or so ago...and its big charges..

what makes me more sick OTHER than what happened (obviously) is the conspiracy nuts and other wackos that appear afterwards to glorify him and whatnot..

I mean theres pictures floating around saying its not the REAL shooter in court but a foreign guy brought in to take the fall just because he looks different to a picture taken a year ago!...or the weirdos on twitter saying hes hot and facebook sympathy pages etc..

I'm sorry but sometimes I weep for humanity a little...almost makes me want to shake a great big giant fist at the world....but I know it would be a fruitless endeavour..

Psychosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012   #11
Zanahoria_Picante

Quote:
Originally Said by Psychosis View Post
I think thats what they are going for...I know he was charged a day or so ago...and its big charges..

what makes me more sick OTHER than what happened (obviously) is the conspiracy nuts and other wackos that appear afterwards to glorify him and whatnot..

I mean theres pictures floating around saying its not the REAL shooter in court but a foreign guy brought in to take the fall just because he looks different to a picture taken a year ago!...or the weirdos on twitter saying hes hot and facebook sympathy pages etc..

I'm sorry but sometimes I weep for humanity a little...almost makes me want to shake a great big giant fist at the world....but I know it would be a fruitless endeavour..
Agreed about the "weeping for humanity" part. Weeping for the victims, their friends and families, for the injustice, for the inanity, for the loss. It is heart-wrenching in an inexpressible way.

As for "sympathy for the killer," that thought always goads me with situations like these: NOT AT ALL that I sympathize with him for the absolutely senseless, brutal, and inexcusable actions he committed, but just an illogical and improbable wish for prevention, for healing and helping people who are so terribly troubled and lost as to do something this horrible. There would have been no way to know the depth of that boy's insanity and internal disarray, but... I do wish there were more, perhaps, programs specifically aimed to reach out to those in society who are, for whatever reason, "outcasts," without being so crude in terminology. I sincerely believe there would be value in such an increased effort to--if it were possible--counsel without condescending, comfort without condemning, creatively coalesce without controlling, those who struggle in the social sense. What tangible form this would take is trickier to articulate and infinitely harder to initiate, but, an obvious medium through which to enact such a plan is: Schools.

More than that, more than a formal institution of altruism, a personal, individual outreach would mean something so much more than any program we could create.

It literally causes me physical pain to think of what a cruel mistress (American, at least) society can be--beginning on small, social levels. How cold, selfish, petty, and ostracizing, we can all be, as human beings. I know we are not all that, and there are many, many people who convey kindness and compassion, but tragedies such as these, so personal and devastating for all involved, remark on how, every single day with everyone we know and meet, we should give rather than withhold, extend a hand of love and compassion, without reserve, and even earnestly befriend those who have no one else to help them along.

This is in no way meant to disrespect or undermine what happened. Just wanting for a better world.

..| |
.| | |
_____
\ love /-|
-\__/--|

Steven Wright

;

Last edited by Zanahoria_Picante; 08-02-2012 at 03:32 AM.